PDA

View Full Version : Wheel brakes

Uncle Fuzzy[_2_]
July 25th 13, 01:37 PM
you know what I think would be awesome? A wheel brake on a German glider that actually worked well. I know, I know, I'm way outside the box here, but it HAS been done. The G103 wheel brake, that highly sophisticated collection of motorcycle and airplane parts stops with authority. just sayin'

Eric Greenwell[_4_]
July 25th 13, 07:36 PM
Uncle Fuzzy wrote, On 7/25/2013 5:37 AM:
> you know what I think would be awesome? A wheel brake on a German
> glider that actually worked well. I know, I know, I'm way outside the
> box here, but it HAS been done. The G103 wheel brake, that highly
> sophisticated collection of motorcycle and airplane parts stops with
> authority. just sayin'

Schleicher has put Cleveland disc brakes on their gliders since at least
1984, when I got my ASW 20 C, and they work beautifully. Too bad you
missed out on "Awesome!" for three decades, but it's not too late to buy
one now!

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl

bumper[_4_]
July 31st 13, 05:17 PM
On Thursday, July 25, 2013 11:36:09 AM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:

> Schleicher has put Cleveland disc brakes on their gliders since at least
>
> 1984, when I got my ASW 20 C, and they work beautifully. Too bad you
>
> missed out on "Awesome!" for three decades, but it's not too late to buy
>
> one now!
>
> --
>
> Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

2nd what Eric says . . . nothing at all wrong with Schleicher's brakes. Strong, easy to precisely modulate, and as trouble free as most any aircraft brake system.

bumper
MKIV yaw string & QV (quiet vent)

Uncle Fuzzy[_2_]
July 31st 13, 08:46 PM

On Wednesday, July 31, 2013 9:17:47 AM UTC-7, bumper wrote:
> On Thursday, July 25, 2013 11:36:09 AM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
> I know that there really are some good ones (though not in my personal experience!) , just NOT on any of the glider I had. The LS3, LS4 and Speed Astir both use the same lame brake, and the brake on the Janus is even less effective. It just always annoyed me that they built these beautiful ships with such ridiculously poor brakes. I
If I had the time, I'd try to find someone to retrofit the Janus with a G103(Magura/BMW/CLeavland) (brake.

> > Schleicher has put Cleveland disc brakes on their gliders since at least
>

> > 1984, when I got my ASW 20 C, and they work beautifully. Too bad you
>

> > missed out on "Awesome!" for three decades, but it's not too late to buy
>

> > one now!
>

> > --
>

> > Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
>

> 2nd what Eric says . . . nothing at all wrong with Schleicher's brakes. Strong, easy to precisely modulate, and as trouble free as most any aircraft brake system.
>

> bumper
>
> MKIV yaw string & QV (quiet vent)

July 31st 13, 09:52 PM
Be carefull what you ask for. Once you get an effective brake installed you will be complaining about having to repeatedly repairing the scuffed gelcoat under the nose because you keep overbraking.

Eric Greenwell[_4_]
August 1st 13, 04:21 AM
wrote, On 7/31/2013 1:52 PM:
> Be carefull what you ask for. Once you get an effective brake
> installed you will be complaining about having to repeatedly
> repairing the scuffed gelcoat under the nose because you keep
> overbraking.

One time and you learn your lesson, and most people learn quicker than
that. I did! Ask for good brakes! No more ballistic landings! Life is
better when you can stop.

And the next great thing... a steerable tailwheel! I have one on my
motorglider, and if I ever went back to a toad glider, I'd REALLY want
one on it, too. No more ballistic takeoffs and landings! Life is better
when you can steer where you want to go. Even downwind landings can be
done better.

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl

BruceGreeff
August 1st 13, 01:30 PM
Since 2009 the Schempp-hirth gliders (at least) have been offered with
Behringer wheels.

Careful -
1] on tar that white stripe is expensive.
2] on grass the limiting factor is coefficient of friction...

Bruce

On 2013/07/31 9:46 PM, Uncle Fuzzy wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 31, 2013 9:17:47 AM UTC-7, bumper wrote:
>> On Thursday, July 25, 2013 11:36:09 AM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
>> I know that there really are some good ones (though not in my personal experience!) , just NOT on any of the glider I had. The LS3, LS4 and Speed Astir both use the same lame brake, and the brake on the Janus is even less effective. It just always annoyed me that they built these beautiful ships with such ridiculously poor brakes. I
> If I had the time, I'd try to find someone to retrofit the Janus with a G103(Magura/BMW/CLeavland) (brake.
>>

>>> Schleicher has put Cleveland disc brakes on their gliders since at least
>>

>>> 1984, when I got my ASW 20 C, and they work beautifully. Too bad you
>>

>>> missed out on "Awesome!" for three decades, but it's not too late to buy
>>

>>> one now!
>>

>>> --
>>

>>> Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
>>

>> 2nd what Eric says . . . nothing at all wrong with Schleicher's brakes. Strong, easy to precisely modulate, and as trouble free as most any aircraft brake system.
>>

>> bumper
>>
>> MKIV yaw string & QV (quiet vent)

--
Bruce Greeff
T59D #1771

Brad Alston
August 1st 13, 07:49 PM
;842550']

And the next great thing... a steerable tailwheel! I have one on my
motorglider, and if I ever went back to a toad glider, I'd REALLY want
one on it, too. No more ballistic takeoffs and landings! Life is better
when you can steer where you want to go. Even downwind landings can be
done better.

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl

Sorry...sorta off topic post.

Hmmm...the HP-18 had one of those! I think it was a matter of getting more aerodynamically clean that takes the steerable tailwheel off most designs. If faired, how much drag could it mean?

Brad A.
HP-18 S/N: 20

Google