PDA

View Full Version : Florida Sailplane Grand Prix Race Sep 27-29 at Seminole Lake

July 26th 13, 11:24 PM
Thanks to Andy McQuigg, he has volunteered to direct a series of weekend "Grand Prix" style races that are of no cost, other than your tow fees. Here is a website if you are interested.

Email Andy McQuigg at ash99e(at)yahoo(dot)com to sign up for the event.

Visit ----> https://sites.google.com/site/floridasailplanegrandprix/

Tailwinds,
SA

Sean F (F2)
July 27th 13, 01:01 AM
This is going to be a blast!!!!!

CLewis95
July 27th 13, 03:42 AM
On Friday, July 26, 2013 5:24:39 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> Thanks to Andy McQuigg, he has volunteered to direct a series of weekend "Grand Prix" style races that are of no cost, other than your tow fees. Here is a website if you are interested.
>

> Email Andy McQuigg at ash99e(at)yahoo(dot)com to sign up for the event.
>

> Visit ----> https://sites.google.com/site/floridasailplanegrandprix/
>

> Tailwinds,
>
> SA

AWESOME! .. I hope this goes well and catches on. I wish I could be there!
Curt Lewis - 95

5 ugly
July 27th 13, 03:42 PM
On Friday, July 26, 2013 6:24:39 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> Thanks to Andy McQuigg, he has volunteered to direct a series of weekend "Grand Prix" style races that are of no cost, other than your tow fees. Here is a website if you are interested.
>

> Email Andy McQuigg at ash99e(at)yahoo(dot)com to sign up for the event.
>

> Visit ----> https://sites.google.com/site/floridasailplanegrandprix/
>

> Tailwinds,
>
> SA

Congratulations to Andy for all his efforts to foster soaring. You bet we will be there. 5U and Crew.

Sean F (F2)
July 27th 13, 06:06 PM
Second!

July 27th 13, 09:25 PM
Yes, I wholeheartedly agree with the above statement. If it wasn't for guys like Andy, this sport would not exist.

Not even 24 hours later after posting this, and 11 pilots are signed up. Wow!

I am really looking forward to this as I so enjoy flying alongside others. To me, that's the beauty of this sport. This is going to be alot of fun!

Sean F (F2)
July 27th 13, 11:16 PM
So 11 of 24 maximum already Scott? Only 13 spots available? 3 in high performance left?

July 27th 13, 11:48 PM
On Saturday, July 27, 2013 6:16:00 PM UTC-4, Sean F (F2) wrote:
> So 11 of 24 maximum already Scott? Only 13 spots available? 3 in high performance left?

Yes, and from what Andy said those are only the confirmed entrys. There are still a half dozen or so pilots that are tentatively planning on coming.

July 28th 13, 01:45 AM
On Saturday, July 27, 2013 6:48:26 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Saturday, July 27, 2013 6:16:00 PM UTC-4, Sean F (F2) wrote:
>
> > So 11 of 24 maximum already Scott? Only 13 spots available? 3 in high performance left?
>

> Yes, and from what Andy said those are only the confirmed entrys. There are still a half dozen or so pilots that are tentatively planning on coming.

Why no water?

July 28th 13, 02:18 AM
Speaking for Andy, this is a weekend event that is intended to be "fun, relaxed and casual", so "unless otherwise stated, water will not be used." With that said, if the majority of one class expresses a desire to load up with water because it's a booming day, then sure.

July 28th 13, 04:06 AM
Ok! I'm in. Huge thanks to Andy for putting on the GP and thanks to Scott for getting the word out. Actually, I suspect Scott has more to do with this than he is saying. How about it Scott? You a co-conspirator?

Hurray for simple rules! However, wouldn't the GP format pretty much require a max start height?

WB

WB

July 28th 13, 04:41 AM
100% Andy!

Just getting the word out...

Excited to fly with you again WB! Bring your RV, there's new hookups out there with electricity, water and wifi.

Peter von Tresckow
July 28th 13, 03:37 PM
> wrote:
> On Saturday, July 27, 2013 6:48:26 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>> On Saturday, July 27, 2013 6:16:00 PM UTC-4, Sean F (F2) wrote:
>>
>>> So 11 of 24 maximum already Scott? Only 13 spots available? 3 in high performance left?
>>

>> Yes, and from what Andy said those are only the confirmed entrys. There
>> are still a half dozen or so pilots that are tentatively planning on coming.
>
> Why no water?

What? no low performance 1.15 and up grouping?

Sean F (F2)
July 29th 13, 01:33 PM
Von,

Get a group together and I am sure they will add at low performance group!

Sean

Wallace Berry[_2_]
July 29th 13, 07:09 PM
In article >,
wrote:

> Thanks to Andy McQuigg, he has volunteered to direct a series of weekend
> "Grand Prix" style races that are of no cost, other than your tow fees. Here
> is a website if you are interested.
>
> Email Andy McQuigg at ash99e(at)yahoo(dot)com to sign up for the event.
>

> Visit ----> https://sites.google.com/site/floridasailplanegrandprix/
>

> Tailwinds,
> SA

We sorta did a GP style "race" during a GTA weekend at Cordele several
years ago. I think it was a 3-day Memorial Day weekend GTA. We had
gotten in two excellent days of soaring on Saturday and Sunday. In fact,
Sunday's task was a 500k triangle that we all successfully completed and
I think Joe Flores had also done a 500k on Saturday. After two strong,
long days we were pretty well raced out. So,instead of the usual racing
task on Monday, Larry Goddard suggested we take a couple of newbies out
for their first real cross-country flight. Larry suggested doing a GP
start to facilitate the training aspect. Getting everyone together at
about the same altitude and lined up for a start was actually pretty
easy. It was way cool to start like that. Looked like a formation of
bombers heading off on a mission. We all pretty much stayed together for
the 120 mile task and essentially the whole grid "team flew" the task
and coached the newbies along. About two thirds down the second leg,
Larry was coaching the new guys to start getting themselves in a final
glide mindset and to try to finish the task with little or no additional
thermalling. We pretty much were on final glide for the last 40 miles or
so. The new guys were a little nervous about blowing on through good
thermals without stopping but loving it. In the end, one of the newbies
even won the day!

July 29th 13, 10:12 PM
This looks like an interesting format.

Perhaps I'm too jaded as one who isn't all that sentimental about "the good old days of racing" that "The Florida Sailplane Grand Prix has been designed to bring back," but I wonder if the organizers have really thought through what unlimited altitude starts and finishes mean, at least if anyone gets at all serious about the race.

Up in to the clouds for the last few minutes before the start? Zero zero final glides? What happens when you put competitive glider pilots wingtip to wingtip, give points to the guy who finishes one inch ahead of the other? Answer: well, it's exiting for the spectators. Even the IGC grand prix went to altitude limited finishes after a little too much excitement. I hope the fields near Seminole are hospitable and the fence is low.

And with a class that starts at handicap 0.880 and below, with no glider handicapping, I know what I will bring to Florida if I can make it.

That said, the general concept of starting a reasonably small race at the same time, and getting rid of start gate roulette and leeching once and for all seems attractive.

I don't know what that has to do with "the good old days," where starting last, diving through a 3000' gate at VNE and catching the gaggle were the heart of the game.

John Cochrane

Wallace Berry[_2_]
July 29th 13, 10:55 PM
In article >,
wrote:

> This looks like an interesting format.
>
> Perhaps I'm too jaded as one who isn't all that sentimental about "the good
> old days of racing" that "The Florida Sailplane Grand Prix has been designed
> to bring back," but I wonder if the organizers have really thought through
> what unlimited altitude starts and finishes mean, at least if anyone gets at
> all serious about the race.
>
> Up in to the clouds for the last few minutes before the start? Zero zero
> final glides? What happens when you put competitive glider pilots wingtip to
> wingtip, give points to the guy who finishes one inch ahead of the other?
> Answer: well, it's exiting for the spectators. Even the IGC grand prix went
> to altitude limited finishes after a little too much excitement. I hope the
> fields near Seminole are hospitable and the fence is low.
>
> And with a class that starts at handicap 0.880 and below, with no glider
> handicapping, I know what I will bring to Florida if I can make it.
>
> That said, the general concept of starting a reasonably small race at the
> same time, and getting rid of start gate roulette and leeching once and for
> all seems attractive.
>
> I don't know what that has to do with "the good old days," where starting
> last, diving through a 3000' gate at VNE and catching the gaggle were the
> heart of the game.
>
> John Cochrane

Well, with any luck, no one will get "serious". It's not a sanctioned
event for one thing. Besides, I wish everyone would remember it's just
an effing glider race. Clearly one of the most ridiculous and
impractical pursuits ever invented. Why does anyone ever take it
seriously?

No max start height, no minimum finish? Matters not one whit to me. I
ain't gonna kill myself to win even if it were the World's.

If any of y'all are intent on suicide in the pursuit of the absurd,
please do it somewhere and someway well distant from aviation. My
insurance is quite high enough already.

Ron Gleason
July 29th 13, 11:00 PM
On Monday, 29 July 2013 15:55:28 UTC-6, WB wrote:
> In article >,
>
> wrote:
>

> > This looks like an interesting format.
>

> > Perhaps I'm too jaded as one who isn't all that sentimental about "the good
>
> > old days of racing" that "The Florida Sailplane Grand Prix has been designed
>
> > to bring back," but I wonder if the organizers have really thought through
>
> > what unlimited altitude starts and finishes mean, at least if anyone gets at
>
> > all serious about the race.
>

> > Up in to the clouds for the last few minutes before the start? Zero zero
>
> > final glides? What happens when you put competitive glider pilots wingtip to
>
> > wingtip, give points to the guy who finishes one inch ahead of the other?
>
> > Answer: well, it's exiting for the spectators. Even the IGC grand prix went
>
> > to altitude limited finishes after a little too much excitement. I hope the
>
> > fields near Seminole are hospitable and the fence is low.
>

> > And with a class that starts at handicap 0.880 and below, with no glider
>
> > handicapping, I know what I will bring to Florida if I can make it.
>

> > That said, the general concept of starting a reasonably small race at the
>
> > same time, and getting rid of start gate roulette and leeching once and for
>
> > all seems attractive.
>

> > I don't know what that has to do with "the good old days," where starting
>
> > last, diving through a 3000' gate at VNE and catching the gaggle were the
>
> > heart of the game.
>

> > John Cochrane
>

> Well, with any luck, no one will get "serious". It's not a sanctioned
>
> event for one thing. Besides, I wish everyone would remember it's just
>
> an effing glider race. Clearly one of the most ridiculous and
>
> impractical pursuits ever invented. Why does anyone ever take it
>
> seriously?
>

> No max start height, no minimum finish? Matters not one whit to me. I
>
> ain't gonna kill myself to win even if it were the World's.
>

> If any of y'all are intent on suicide in the pursuit of the absurd,
>
> please do it somewhere and someway well distant from aviation. My
>
> insurance is quite high enough already.

What WB says. Sometime life and flying is just about having fun.

Sean F (F2)
July 30th 13, 01:34 AM
I think I win the bet? I said under 96 hours until the post we all knew was coming came!

;-)

July 30th 13, 01:51 AM
On Monday, July 29, 2013 7:34:43 PM UTC-5, Sean F (F2) wrote:
> I think I win the bet? I said under 96 hours until the post we all knew was coming came!
>

> ;-)

You have forgotten Ionia 2012 so soon?

July 30th 13, 04:17 AM
John,

It's a casual event, so contain your enthusiasm! Simply a relaxed, easy going, weekend excursion. Nobody graduates to the world championship if they win. Maybe, just maybe, they might get a free beer around the bonfire if they're not too boastful.

You've completely missed the number one rule listed. That includes FAR 91.115, so you can relax now. Knowing Andy, if someone was psychotic enough to be found flying IMC, and a flight trace verified it, he would hook up their trailer for them and escort them to the nearest airport exit immediately!

As far as the good old days, when "racing was actually racing": it was before the 30 mile radius turn cylinders days and before MAT's where gliders actually competed in the same air mass, to measure ones performance against each other, not measure gliding 100 miles apart.

Rules have spiraled so out of control, you need a cliff notes version to understand just even the basics. This complex set of rules actually turns off alot of pilots from even entering their first race. If somebody doesn't simplify them, and put an end to adding rule after rule after rule, before too long, we'll all be finishing at 5,000 feet, and have to keep a 1 mile distance apart for spacing while using our FLARM's (booooring). Then, someone will add the mother of all rules that says "the main rule is that nobody can have any fun."

Thankfully, Andy has set up a simple race much like the GTA events. Cost is free. Can't beat that! As for me, I'm looking forward to some great flying with good company.

Sean F (F2)
July 30th 13, 01:00 PM
John,

Ionia 2012? What are you saying? Please add detail?

Sean
F2/7T

Sean F (F2)
July 30th 13, 01:11 PM
Scott,

Great post. I think you meant FAR 91.155 (general airspace requirements). Surely a typo!

I cannot wait to fly this event. So simple! So pure! So fun!!!

Sean

Sean F (F2)
July 31st 13, 12:21 AM
Looks like 2 of 3 classes are full already!

Sean F (F2)
July 31st 13, 12:36 PM
https://sites.google.com/site/floridasailplanegrandprix/contestants

Class B has only 5 spots open! Sign up if you can folks.

Class A and C are already full...

Josh Fletcher
July 31st 13, 02:10 PM
From someone who has always wanted to get into racing, I am excited to see this being held just up the road from me (when I am stateside)!!! So much so I actually got off my butt and got recurrent last weekend just because of this event. Seminole Lake is a great glider port and this sounds like a great way to get into racing with no real pressure! I am sure it will be a blast and a real boost to the gliding community!

Now hopefully I can get out of work in the country of -----stan that I am in during this time!

Hope to see you all out there!

Josh

August 5th 13, 01:44 PM
Anyone have a gopro camera who might film this race from their sailplane?

I would be ecstatic to watch a 2-3 hour race compressed into a 5 minute video.

Just watched a fine video from europe of this style and LOVED it.

Here's a beer/margarita/wine on me to whoever who tackles this thought.

Tailwinds,
SA

Sean F (F2)
August 5th 13, 01:51 PM
SA,

I have a cockpit setup that allows me 3 cockpit cameras and an external with an aero pod. I will DEFINITELY bring this and plan to edit it into a video each evening!!!!

Sean

Mike C
August 5th 13, 06:15 PM
On Friday, July 26, 2013 4:24:39 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> Thanks to Andy McQuigg, he has volunteered to direct a series of weekend "Grand Prix" style races that are of no cost, other than your tow fees. Here is a website if you are interested.
>

> Email Andy McQuigg at ash99e(at)yahoo(dot)com to sign up for the event.
>

> Visit ----> https://sites.google.com/site/floridasailplanegrandprix/
>

> Tailwinds,
>
> SA

This is very cool. Will there be handicaps in place to account for the differences in performance within each class, or is it a non issue?

Mike

August 6th 13, 12:51 AM
Mike, it's grouped into similar handicaps to keep it simple so everyone has the same turnpoints to round. Interestingly the C-class has all a 1.00 handicap from those signed up. See the website to read more.

Sean, now that's going the extra mile right there. Can't wait to see it! Let me know how I can help.

Mike C
August 6th 13, 01:11 AM
On Monday, August 5, 2013 5:51:39 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> Mike, it's grouped into similar handicaps to keep it simple so everyone has the same turnpoints to round. Interestingly the C-class has all a 1.00 handicap from those signed up. See the website to read more.
>

> Sean, now that's going the extra mile right there. Can't wait to see it! Let me know how I can help.

Scott,

Yes, I saw that, but there is a fair amount of scatter in 'similar' classes so I wondered about using the individual sailplane handicaps within each class as well.

Mike

lynn
August 6th 13, 02:20 PM
On Monday, August 5, 2013 6:51:39 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> Mike, it's grouped into similar handicaps to keep it simple so everyone has the same turnpoints to round. Interestingly the C-class has all a 1.00 handicap from those signed up. See the website to read more.
>

> Sean, now that's going the extra mile right there. Can't wait to see it! Let me know how I can help.

The C-class has two PIK-20s and they are at 0.95 handicap. The LS-4 is also 0.95 Doesn't this mean the PIK-20s and LS-4 should be in the B-class? The C-class says handicap above 0.95 and the B-class says handicap at or above 0.885 to 0.95.

August 6th 13, 02:36 PM
On Monday, July 29, 2013 5:12:37 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> This looks like an interesting format.
>

> Perhaps I'm too jaded as one who isn't all that sentimental about "the good old days of racing" that "The Florida Sailplane Grand Prix has been designed to bring back," but I wonder if the organizers have really thought through what unlimited altitude starts and finishes mean, at least if anyone gets at all serious about the race.
>

> Up in to the clouds for the last few minutes before the start? Zero zero final glides? What happens when you put competitive glider pilots wingtip to wingtip, give points to the guy who finishes one inch ahead of the other? Answer: well, it's exiting for the spectators. Even the IGC grand prix went to altitude limited finishes after a little too much excitement. I hope the fields near Seminole are hospitable and the fence is low.
>

> And with a class that starts at handicap 0.880 and below, with no glider handicapping, I know what I will bring to Florida if I can make it.
>

> That said, the general concept of starting a reasonably small race at the same time, and getting rid of start gate roulette and leeching once and for all seems attractive.
>

> I don't know what that has to do with "the good old days," where starting last, diving through a 3000' gate at VNE and catching the gaggle were the heart of the game.
>

> John Cochrane

let em try it.

August 20th 13, 02:55 PM
I'm merely just passing along information to help keep everyone in the loop.

I understand John Leibacher is in the process of updating turnpoint file to show a start line and finish line. This will be posted soon as it's in a temporary folder now.

If you would like updates to this specific event and subsequent events, please send an email to ---> sailplanegrandprix (at) yahoo (dot) com <--- You will be added to an email list.

Also, reach out to Andreea Alexandrescu who is overseeing the gliderport and is in support of this event. It is worth emailing her a note to say thank you.

PS The Farmers Almanac is predicting 3-4 kt thermals to a cloudbase of 4,500 feet, winds less than 10 knots and a B/S ratio of 10 with thermal top uncertainty less than 1,000. We should be in for a good time!

September 17th 13, 09:53 PM
Update from Andy McQuigg emailed out today:

Grand Prix Update 9-17-13

Hello to all the competitors in the Grand Prix Race! So far, everything is ready to go starting on September 27th for those who can make it to the unofficial practice day and for ALL pilots the mandatory safety meeting that evening.

Great news - Andreea will be here for the weekend and it will be good to see her. She will be a big help for all of us.

We will have a pilot packet ready for each pilot with the usual contest type forms please have all of your required documents for registration. Those of you that have no crews must fill out another form stating who that person will be in the event that you land out. The daily pilots meeting will be in the big hangar and we will meet each morning at10 am for the weather briefing and the probable tasks.

I will give a detailed briefing on the start finish line and a few safety rules we must adhere to. If you have not done so please look at the Seminole Lake website for useful info on the field rules traffic patterns, frequencies, etc. Please make sure that your sailplane and trailer are in perfect working order everyone must have down loadable navigation instruments and a fully functional radio. If the weather is in question for this or any future races we will post it on the website that the weekend is cancelled. If you have any questions please e-mail me directly at .

I look forward to seeing all of you. Remember, safety first and it will be a great soaring experience for everyone.

Regards,
Andy McQuigg

Sean F (F2)
September 18th 13, 12:41 AM
Cannot wait for this!!! The Start Line is going to be a blast!

Sean

On Tuesday, September 17, 2013 4:53:24 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> Update from Andy McQuigg emailed out today:
>

> Grand Prix Update 9-17-13
>

> Hello to all the competitors in the Grand Prix Race! So far, everything is ready to go starting on September 27th for those who can make it to the unofficial practice day and for ALL pilots the mandatory safety meeting that evening.
>

> Great news - Andreea will be here for the weekend and it will be good to see her. She will be a big help for all of us.
>

> We will have a pilot packet ready for each pilot with the usual contest type forms please have all of your required documents for registration. Those of you that have no crews must fill out another form stating who that person will be in the event that you land out. The daily pilots meeting will be in the big hangar and we will meet each morning at10 am for the weather briefing and the probable tasks.
>

> I will give a detailed briefing on the start finish line and a few safety rules we must adhere to. If you have not done so please look at the Seminole Lake website for useful info on the field rules traffic patterns, frequencies, etc. Please make sure that your sailplane and trailer are in perfect working order everyone must have down loadable navigation instruments and a fully functional radio. If the weather is in question for this or any future races we will post it on the website that the weekend is cancelled. If you have any questions please e-mail me directly at .
>

> I look forward to seeing all of you. Remember, safety first and it will be a great soaring experience for everyone.
>

> Regards,
>
> Andy McQuigg

September 25th 13, 12:28 AM
On Monday, August 5, 2013 8:44:22 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> Anyone have a gopro camera who might film this race from their sailplane?
> I would be ecstatic to watch a 2-3 hour race compressed into a 5 minute video.
> Just watched a fine video from europe of this style and LOVED it.

Which video did you watch? I'd like to see it too!

I'd be willing to loan out a go pro, I am just not sure the battery would last longer than 1.5 hrs unless mounted inside the cockpit with a USB power source.

Sean F (F2)
September 30th 13, 01:48 AM
Results are up here ---> https://sites.google.com/site/floridasailplanegrandprix/scoring

Sunday turned out to be a spectacular day. 159 mile task with speeds around 50 mph were scored. A great time was had by all!

Thanks to Seminole for your outstanding support. Next months event dates will be released shortly.

Sean
7T

Josh Fletcher
October 20th 13, 04:23 AM
Hi Guys,

I sort of remember there being a new website for Florida Sailplane Grand Prix, but I just can't seem to find it. Could someone please post the new website link if there is one?

Thanks in advance,
Josh

Google