PDA

View Full Version : Re: My Engine Fire!!

kat
March 30th 04, 01:01 PM
is this your plane or hired? either way you should know if there is a
fire extinguisher on board and if there is....where it is.

the 150 i fly will start with 1 prime on a hot day or none at all if it
has been flown within the past hour. on a cold day 2-3 primes is
enough.

good job on not freaking out though and staying on the ground!

--
kat
- A website for Australian Pilots regardless of when, why, or what they fly -

Dave Stadt
March 30th 04, 03:02 PM
My O-200 starts on a half prime on cold days. According to the book the
prop should be turning when the primer is pushed in. They prime just above
the carb venturi. Pumping 3 to 4 shots without having the engine turning is
asking for trouble. Fuel dribbles out the carb into the airbox and the
cowl. One backfire and the entire engine compartment can be on fire.

"kat" > wrote in message

> is this your plane or hired? either way you should know if there is a
> fire extinguisher on board and if there is....where it is.
>
> the 150 i fly will start with 1 prime on a hot day or none at all if it
> has been flown within the past hour. on a cold day 2-3 primes is
> enough.
>
> good job on not freaking out though and staying on the ground!
>

> --
> kat
> - A website for Australian Pilots regardless of when, why, or what they
fly -

Dan Thomas
March 31st 04, 04:14 PM
Canadian aircraft are required, by law, to carry fire extinguishers. I
checked the US FARs but couldn't see that an extinguisher is required.
However, a $30 extinguisher could save your life, not to mention the
airplane. It's one of those things that many pilots don't worry about
until they need it, and then the cost of the item seems small indeed.
(Another example: a functioning ELT when the search planes are passing
by, and you realize that you've bought the farm because you didn't
bother keeping up the maintenance on it. Or it wasn't switched on to
"arm;" again, due to lousy maintenance. It has happened numerous times
up here.)
As for engine fires, the POH has all the info on such emergencies.
In Canada, a pilot is required at test time to know that book
thoroughly. It could save his life if he had an inflight fire, an
electrical fire or failure, and so on. Early POH's had no or very
little info on emergency procedures, until manufacturers started
getting sued half to death over people that died because they did the
wrong things. Now, with most airplanes built since the mid-70s, there
isn't any excuse not to have the info, except maybe not living long
enough to read the whole thing :-)

Dan

Dave Stadt
April 1st 04, 12:32 AM
Actually a cheap fire extinguisher will probably destroy your airplane. The
dry chemical is extremely corrosive and insurance companies will total the
plane rather than pay big bucks attempting to have it removed

"Dan Thomas" > wrote in message
om...
> Canadian aircraft are required, by law, to carry fire extinguishers. I
> checked the US FARs but couldn't see that an extinguisher is required.
> However, a $30 extinguisher could save your life, not to mention the
> airplane. It's one of those things that many pilots don't worry about
> until they need it, and then the cost of the item seems small indeed.
> (Another example: a functioning ELT when the search planes are passing
> by, and you realize that you've bought the farm because you didn't
> bother keeping up the maintenance on it. Or it wasn't switched on to
> "arm;" again, due to lousy maintenance. It has happened numerous times
> up here.)
> As for engine fires, the POH has all the info on such emergencies.
> In Canada, a pilot is required at test time to know that book
> thoroughly. It could save his life if he had an inflight fire, an
> electrical fire or failure, and so on. Early POH's had no or very
> little info on emergency procedures, until manufacturers started
> getting sued half to death over people that died because they did the
> wrong things. Now, with most airplanes built since the mid-70s, there
> isn't any excuse not to have the info, except maybe not living long
> enough to read the whole thing :-)
>
> Dan

C J Campbell
April 1st 04, 03:31 AM
"Dan Thomas" > wrote in message
om...
> Canadian aircraft are required, by law, to carry fire extinguishers. I
> checked the US FARs but couldn't see that an extinguisher is required.
> However, a $30 extinguisher could save your life, not to mention the
> airplane.

The only fire extinguisher worth having on your plane is halon. The US does
not require you to carry a fire extinguisher.

Google