PDA

View Full Version : UK1 K9370 Fairey BattleMkI 1942-01orLater to US WrightField GeraldRaggettColl.jpg

Joseph Testagrose
July 31st 13, 01:11 PM

Jeff - VK4XA
August 1st 13, 12:18 AM
"Joseph Testagrose" > wrote in message

Contra rotating propellors on a Fairey Battle?
That's a new one on me.
I did a little digging and courtesy of Wikipedia I came up with this:
Battle K9370 was used to test the Fairey Monarch 2,000+ hp (1,490+ kW) aero-engine
with electrically-controlled three-blade contra-rotating propellers in 1939.
According to Jane's All the World's Aircraft 1946-47, the aircraft was shipped to
the U.S.A. after 86 hours test time.

A little more digging and here's a photo of the front of the aircraft.
http://s809.photobucket.com/user/A30yoyo/media/Battle-Testbed.jpg.html

--
Jeff Cochrane - VK4XA
East Innisfail

展奄rdo[_3_]
August 1st 13, 08:59 AM
On 01/08/2013 00:18, Jeff - VK4XA wrote:
> "Joseph Testagrose" > wrote in message
>
> Contra rotating propellors on a Fairey Battle?
> That's a new one on me.
> I did a little digging and courtesy of Wikipedia I came up with this:
> Battle K9370 was used to test the Fairey Monarch 2,000+ hp (1,490+ kW) aero-engine
> with electrically-controlled three-blade contra-rotating propellers in 1939.
> According to Jane's All the World's Aircraft 1946-47, the aircraft was shipped to
> the U.S.A. after 86 hours test time.
>
> A little more digging and here's a photo of the front of the aircraft.
> http://s809.photobucket.com/user/A30yoyo/media/Battle-Testbed.jpg.html

I'm surprised that the wings stayed on!

--
Moving Things in Still Pictures!

Ramsman
August 1st 13, 10:26 AM
On 01/08/2013 08:59, 展奄rdo wrote:
> On 01/08/2013 00:18, Jeff - VK4XA wrote:
>> "Joseph Testagrose" > wrote in message
>>
>> Contra rotating propellors on a Fairey Battle?
>> That's a new one on me.
>> I did a little digging and courtesy of Wikipedia I came up with this:
>> Battle K9370 was used to test the Fairey Monarch 2,000+ hp (1,490+ kW)
>> aero-engine
>> with electrically-controlled three-blade contra-rotating propellers in
>> 1939.
>> According to Jane's All the World's Aircraft 1946-47, the aircraft was
>> shipped to
>> the U.S.A. after 86 hours test time.
>>
>> A little more digging and here's a photo of the front of the aircraft.
>> http://s809.photobucket.com/user/A30yoyo/media/Battle-Testbed.jpg.html
>>

> I'm surprised that the wings stayed on!

Here are two photos of the only remaining Fairey Monarch. It's actually
two vertically-opposed 12-cylinder engines, each with its own crankshaft
driving one of the co-axial propellers. Taken on 24 April 2013 in the
Chobham Hall at RNAS Yeovilton.

--
Peter

展奄rdo[_3_]
August 1st 13, 12:47 PM
On 01/08/2013 10:26, Ramsman wrote:
> On 01/08/2013 08:59, 展奄rdo wrote:
>> On 01/08/2013 00:18, Jeff - VK4XA wrote:
>>> "Joseph Testagrose" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Contra rotating propellors on a Fairey Battle?
>>> That's a new one on me.
>>> I did a little digging and courtesy of Wikipedia I came up with this:
>>> Battle K9370 was used to test the Fairey Monarch 2,000+ hp (1,490+ kW)
>>> aero-engine
>>> with electrically-controlled three-blade contra-rotating propellers in
>>> 1939.
>>> According to Jane's All the World's Aircraft 1946-47, the aircraft was
>>> shipped to
>>> the U.S.A. after 86 hours test time.
>>>
>>> A little more digging and here's a photo of the front of the aircraft.
>>> http://s809.photobucket.com/user/A30yoyo/media/Battle-Testbed.jpg.html
>>>

>> I'm surprised that the wings stayed on!
>>

> Here are two photos of the only remaining Fairey Monarch. It's actually
> two vertically-opposed 12-cylinder engines, each with its own crankshaft
> driving one of the co-axial propellers. Taken on 24 April 2013 in the
> Chobham Hall at RNAS Yeovilton.

Thank you for that - I must have seen that on my last visit there!
Archives here I come!

--
Moving Things in Still Pictures!

Ramsman
August 1st 13, 01:49 PM
On 01/08/2013 12:47, 展奄rdo wrote:
> On 01/08/2013 10:26, Ramsman wrote:

>>> I'm surprised that the wings stayed on!
>>>

>> Here are two photos of the only remaining Fairey Monarch. It's actually
>> two vertically-opposed 12-cylinder engines, each with its own crankshaft
>> driving one of the co-axial propellers. Taken on 24 April 2013 in the
>> Chobham Hall at RNAS Yeovilton.
>>

> Thank you for that - I must have seen that on my last visit there!
> Archives here I come!

Apologies for the size, they came out bigger than I expected because
they are portrait orientation. Also that should be Cobham Hall, not
Chobham. For those who don't know, it's the FAA Museum's reserve
collection and workshop, not usually accessible to the public except on
the occasional open day. I was there on a Friends of Duxford trip, which
included visiting the Royal Navy Historic Flight and 845 NAS hangars, as
well as lunch in the RNAS Yeovilton/HMS Heron wardroom. I might even
post more photos when I find the time.

--
Peter

展奄rdo[_3_]
August 1st 13, 03:10 PM
On 01/08/2013 13:49, Ramsman wrote:
> On 01/08/2013 12:47, 展奄rdo wrote:

>>> Here are two photos of the only remaining Fairey Monarch. It's actually
>>> two vertically-opposed 12-cylinder engines, each with its own crankshaft
>>> driving one of the co-axial propellers. Taken on 24 April 2013 in the
>>> Chobham Hall at RNAS Yeovilton.
>>>

>> Thank you for that - I must have seen that on my last visit there!
>> Archives here I come!
>>

> Apologies for the size, they came out bigger than I expected because
> they are portrait orientation. Also that should be Cobham Hall, not
> Chobham. For those who don't know, it's the FAA Museum's reserve
> collection and workshop, not usually accessible to the public except on
> the occasional open day. I was there on a Friends of Duxford trip, which
> included visiting the Royal Navy Historic Flight and 845 NAS hangars, as
> well as lunch in the RNAS Yeovilton/HMS Heron wardroom. I might even
> post more photos when I find the time.

Thanks for the information Peter, perhaps it's not in my archives!

--
Moving Things in Still Pictures!

Google