PDA

View Full Version : What's a legit Russian Email Address?

Jay Honeck
April 5th 04, 09:44 PM
Okay, off-topic -- but I don't know whom else to ask!

I've recently received an email (for the inn) from a guy purportedly located
outside of Moscow.

I can't seem to reply to him. His address ends in "mail.ru" (as in
) My ISP rejects this as having an illegitimate suffix.
(Apparently the ".ru" is the trouble.)

Is this something I should take up with my ISP? Or did the guy send me an
anti-Spam email address by mistake? What's a legitimate Russian email
address? (He's awaiting my reply!)

Thanks...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Ron Natalie
April 5th 04, 09:49 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message news:Cyjcc.192685$Cb.1733584@attbi_s51...
> Okay, off-topic -- but I don't know whom else to ask!
>
> I've recently received an email (for the inn) from a guy purportedly located
> outside of Moscow.
>
> I can't seem to reply to him. His address ends in "mail.ru" (as in
> ) My ISP rejects this as having an illegitimate suffix.
> (Apparently the ".ru" is the trouble.)

..ru is perfectly valid. As a matter of fact, mail.ru appears to be a perfectly
valid address (seems to be a Yahoo-like service) from the overall appearance
of it. Does seem to offer you a variety of email services at mail.ru, inbox.ru, etc..

> Is this something I should take up with my ISP? Or did the guy send me an
> anti-Spam email address by mistake? What's a legitimate Russian email
> address? (He's awaiting my reply!)

Your ISP is crocked... appears to be valid.

> Thanks...
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

FUji
April 5th 04, 10:00 PM
"Ron Natalie" > wrote in message
m...

> "Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > Okay, off-topic -- but I don't know whom else to ask!
> >
> > I've recently received an email (for the inn) from a guy purportedly
located
> > outside of Moscow.
> >
> > I can't seem to reply to him. His address ends in "mail.ru" (as in
> > ) My ISP rejects this as having an illegitimate suffix.
> > (Apparently the ".ru" is the trouble.)
>
> .ru is perfectly valid. As a matter of fact, mail.ru appears to be a
perfectly
> valid address (seems to be a Yahoo-like service) from the overall
appearance
> of it. Does seem to offer you a variety of email services at mail.ru,
inbox.ru, etc..

> > Is this something I should take up with my ISP? Or did the guy send me
an
> > anti-Spam email address by mistake? What's a legitimate Russian email
> > address? (He's awaiting my reply!)
> >
> Your ISP is crocked... appears to be valid.
>
> > Thanks...
> > --
> > Jay Honeck
> > Iowa City, IA
> > Pathfinder N56993
> > www.AlexisParkInn.com
> > "Your Aviation Destination"

is valid, but mail.ru is on a lot of blacklists.

Seems odd that the ISP is blocking email going out to .ru. Usually spam
filters block incomming .ru mail.

Jim Fisher
April 6th 04, 03:46 AM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message news:Cyjcc.192685>
(He's awaiting my reply!)

Let me know, Jay, and I'll give you an email addy from my domain
) if you need it.

--
Jim Fisher

James M. Knox
April 6th 04, 02:39 PM
> is valid, but mail.ru is on a lot of blacklists.
>
> Seems odd that the ISP is blocking email going out to .ru. Usually
> spam filters block incomming .ru mail.

More and more are blocking OUTGOING mail as well (to block rogue senders).
Spam is getting out of hand, but so is the (often stealth) response to it
by ISP's. More and more are subscribing to these hackneyed blacklist
sites, whatever is bottom dollar (or free). The result is massive amounts
of legitimate e:mail never reaching it destination.

Heck, right now I am in the process of moving off of one of my ISP's. The
reason? I just upgraded to a higher tier of DSL and that moved me to a
different server. *MY* incoming ISP is blocking most mail from YAHOO or
SWBELL -- including mail I send to myself.

And Angel Flight South Central is blocking mail from me... and I am
chairman of the board!

A feller' could get a complex about stuff like this. <G>

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331
Austin, Tx 78721

Jay Honeck
April 6th 04, 02:41 PM
Thanks, Jim!

But I'd really like to "fix" it from my end. It seems stupid that I can't
just reply to the guy.
--
Jay

Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com

> (He's awaiting my reply!)
>
> Let me know, Jay, and I'll give you an email addy from my domain
> ) if you need it.
>
> --
> Jim Fisher

Doug FM
April 6th 04, 02:41 PM
What I can't understand is you get an email from some guy in Russia whom you
don't know and you're concerned about replying to him? If it were me, the
only thing I'd be doing is hitting the "delete" key. My two cents.

Cheers,

Doug

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> Okay, off-topic -- but I don't know whom else to ask!
>
> I've recently received an email (for the inn) from a guy purportedly
located
> outside of Moscow.
>
> I can't seem to reply to him. His address ends in "mail.ru" (as in
> ) My ISP rejects this as having an illegitimate suffix.
> (Apparently the ".ru" is the trouble.)
>
> Is this something I should take up with my ISP? Or did the guy send me
an
> anti-Spam email address by mistake? What's a legitimate Russian email
> address? (He's awaiting my reply!)
>
> Thanks...
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Jay Honeck
April 6th 04, 03:10 PM
> What I can't understand is you get an email from some guy in Russia whom
you
> don't know and you're concerned about replying to him? If it were me, the
> only thing I'd be doing is hitting the "delete" key. My two cents.

You'd last a long time in this biz, Doug! (It's for the hotel...)

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

James M. Knox
April 7th 04, 02:35 PM
"Doug FM" > wrote in
.rogers.com:

> What I can't understand is you get an email from some guy in Russia
> whom you don't know and you're concerned about replying to him? If it
> were me, the only thing I'd be doing is hitting the "delete" key.

It's the nature of the business. For example, my little R&D company gets
requests from potential clients all the time - people and companies (and
sometimes countries) that I have never heard of. They find us from web
searches (these days) or see other similar work we have done, or get
referals from previous clients of ours. And we too have problems sometimes
with stealth "spam filters," especially when the country is Taiwan or South
Korea or some such.

Of course, then there are those fantastic potential clients from Nigeria...
<G> The trouble is, as always, separating the wheat from the chaff. [If
you were a legitimate client from Nigeria, trying to find a US firm to
handle your business, would it be even remotely possible to find someone to
take you seriously????]

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331
Austin, Tx 78721

Jay Honeck
April 7th 04, 03:34 PM
> If you were a legitimate client from Nigeria

Now THERE is an oxymoron...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck