PDA

View Full Version : Requirements for Antique Aircraft

EDR
April 9th 04, 01:25 PM
This is a follow up to the Ramp Checked thread...

If you fly an antique aircraft, the manufacturer did not provide a POH
or Aircraft Manual.

What am I supposed to use?

Dave Stadt
April 9th 04, 01:35 PM
"EDR" > wrote in message

> This is a follow up to the Ramp Checked thread...
>
> If you fly an antique aircraft, the manufacturer did not provide a POH
> or Aircraft Manual.
>
> What am I supposed to use?

You can't carry or use what the manufacturer didn't supply. I have a very
skimpy operators manual and a small placard with a couple of operating
limits. It's all there is. Older planes had even less.

Cub Driver
April 10th 04, 11:50 AM
>What am I supposed to use?

There is of course no POH for the J-3. I've never been ramp-checked as
such, but I had to do a flight check with an FAA inspector because of
monocular vision, and he put them through the wringer on the ground.

He also bawled out my instructor: "Don't ever let a student take off
without a check list!"

So I printed out a very short checklist (for the cockpit check before
takeoff, it says in its entirely: CIGARS") and tucked it into my
logbook, where my certificate & medical cert also reside.

The plane's paperwork is mounted atop the baggage compartment.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com