PDA

View Full Version : Airport guides on video?

Philip Sondericker
April 15th 04, 04:06 AM
Does anyone know of any videos that provide overviews of airports--kind of
an "AFD on video" type of thing? Anything that's broken down by region?
Thanks.

Angus Davis
April 16th 04, 01:57 AM
On 4/14/04 8:06 PM, Philip Sondericker wrote:
> Does anyone know of any videos that provide overviews of airports--kind of
> an "AFD on video" type of thing? Anything that's broken down by region?
> Thanks.

I am not aware of videos, but Jeppesen provides trip kits with large
full color photos for many airports:
http://tinyurl.com/23ww4

I'd also recommend visiting the Web site for the airport if you plan
to go into a large terminal area such as a Class C airport. Most of
these airports publish their own brief on local procedures, etc. Many
include helpful maps. For example, check out the Orange County /
Santa Ana airport guide:
http://www.ocair.com/JWAPilotInfoGuide.pdf

If you are in the Western United States, I urge you to consider this
line of books, truly the ultimate "A/FD on steroids," they are the best:
http://www.pilotsguide.com/

Be warned, however, that you should always check the A/FD anyway, as
it is the final word in this sort of thing. I recently flew into
Catalina Avalon (AVX) and found that although my pretty-looking guide
to California Airports stated the summer hours of operation for this
field began in "April," I did not realize that the A/FD said more
clearly "April 16." As a result, I landed there a few minutes after
the 5pm (winter hours) closing time, thinking I had until 7pm (summer
hours). No big deal, but lesson learned on checking the A/FD instead
of relying solely on the better formatted guides.

When it comes to A/FD and chart subscriptions, I happily recommend the
very best people for this sort of thing at the very best price,
AvMaps.com:
http://www.avmaps.com/

They send me a fresh A/FD automatically and the price cannot be beat.
It's a nice little small business and the guy behind it appears to
be a very hard worker. Two thumbs up for him.

Good luck,
-angus

Andrew Sarangan
April 16th 04, 02:52 AM
I don't know about video, but I know of a CAP website that has photos of
many airfields. Check http://www.capnhq.gov/airfield/default.asp

Philip Sondericker > wrote in
:

> Does anyone know of any videos that provide overviews of
> airports--kind of an "AFD on video" type of thing? Anything that's
> broken down by region? Thanks.

Google