PDA

View Full Version : Who's Going To Be First?

Dan Marotta
November 22nd 13, 03:48 PM
Damn... No room on my panel!

http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/17996?utm_source=aopa&utm_medium=emailad&utm_content=stratus&utm_campaign=ePilot

Soartech
November 22nd 13, 05:56 PM
On Friday, November 22, 2013 10:48:27 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
> Damn... No room on my panel!
>
> (connects to an iPad)
>
> http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/17996?utm_source=aopa&utm_medium=emailad&utm_content=stratus&utm_campaign=ePilot

Out of curiosity, how good is the sunlight readability of the iPad?

Luke Szczepaniak
November 22nd 13, 06:04 PM
On 11/22/2013 12:56 PM, Soartech wrote:
> On Friday, November 22, 2013 10:48:27 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
>> Damn... No room on my panel!
>>
>> (connects to an iPad)
>>
>> http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/17996?utm_source=aopa&utm_medium=emailad&utm_content=stratus&utm_campaign=ePilot
>
> Out of curiosity, how good is the sunlight readability of the iPad?

At that price the PowerFlarm is looking like a bargain considering the
additional functionality.

Luke

Vaughn
November 22nd 13, 06:06 PM
On 11/22/2013 12:56 PM, Soartech wrote:
> On Friday, November 22, 2013 10:48:27 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
>> Damn... No room on my panel!
>>
>> (connects to an iPad)
>>
>> http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/17996?utm_source=aopa&utm_medium=emailad&utm_content=stratus&utm_campaign=ePilot

The backup attitude display might be questionable for contesting?

> Out of curiosity, how good is the sunlight readability of the iPad?

In my opinion, only fair. The newer retina display may be different.

JS
November 22nd 13, 06:38 PM
Interesting comment from a Stratus user:

Cons
Weather is not as good as nexrad
Traffic shows only a fraction of the traffic. It currently won't show Southwest Airlines aircraft and a lot more.

Do Southwest operate in stealth mode to avoid leaching?
Jim

Luke Szczepaniak
November 22nd 13, 07:34 PM
On 11/22/2013 1:04 PM, Luke Szczepaniak wrote:
> On 11/22/2013 12:56 PM, Soartech wrote:
>> On Friday, November 22, 2013 10:48:27 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
>>> Damn... No room on my panel!
>>>
>>> (connects to an iPad)
>>>
>>> http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/17996?utm_source=aopa&utm_medium=emailad&utm_content=stratus&utm_campaign=ePilot
>>>

>> Out of curiosity, how good is the sunlight readability of the iPad?
>>
> At that price the PowerFlarm is looking like a bargain considering the
> additional functionality.
>
> Luke

Guess I should have read the whole advert not just the title, its more
than just an ADS-B receiver... :D

Luke

Dan Marotta
November 22nd 13, 08:13 PM
I posted this because the birds are walking outside my house and there's
snow and ice on the ground.

I use a Streak and it's super readable in sunlight. Never seen an iPad.

"Soartech" > wrote in message
> On Friday, November 22, 2013 10:48:27 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
>> Damn... No room on my panel!
>>
>> (connects to an iPad)
>>
>> http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/17996?utm_source=aopa&utm_medium=emailad&utm_content=stratus&utm_campaign=ePilot
>
> Out of curiosity, how good is the sunlight readability of the iPad?

waremark
November 22nd 13, 08:19 PM
On Friday, 22 November 2013 15:48:27 UTC, Dan Marotta wrote:
> Damn... No room on my panel!
>

> http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/17996?utm_source=aopa&utm_medium=emailad&utm_content=stratus&utm_campaign=ePilot

I have not seen Foreflight in the UK. Many power pilots use SkyDemon, a subscription flight planning and navigation service/software which runs on PC/iPad/iPhone/Android/WinCE and provides weather and notams within the subscription. A recent enhancement of SkyDemon has been to make it PowerFlarm compatible - so ADS-B traffic and Flarm traffic appear on the moving map. It will be interesting to see whether this encourages GA pilots to adopt PowerFlarm.

November 23rd 13, 02:45 AM
It would be nice to get satellite Wx to see the cloud patterns, like streets. Is there anyway to get this now? Smart phones tend to not work well above a few K feet AGL.

Eric Greenwell[_4_]
November 23rd 13, 06:34 AM
wrote, On 11/22/2013 6:45 PM:
> It would be nice to get satellite Wx to see the cloud patterns, like
> streets. Is there anyway to get this now? Smart phones tend to not
> work well above a few K feet AGL.

XM weather. Google it. Takes a subscription, but it's delivered by
satellite, so it will work no matter how high you are.

email me)

Dan Marotta
November 23rd 13, 05:59 PM
I started this thread with tongue in cheek.

Note in the text that displayed weather is 5 minutes old (probably more than
that). A thunder storm can move just enough to kill you in that time if you
rely on these displays. See the following:

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2012/June/25/NTSB-warns-of-in-cockpit-weather-delays.aspx

"Eric Greenwell" > wrote in message
> wrote, On 11/22/2013 6:45 PM:
>> It would be nice to get satellite Wx to see the cloud patterns, like
>> streets. Is there anyway to get this now? Smart phones tend to not
>> work well above a few K feet AGL.
>
> XM weather. Google it. Takes a subscription, but it's delivered by
> satellite, so it will work no matter how high you are.
>
> --
> Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to
> email me)

Soartech
November 25th 13, 06:36 PM

> satellite, so it will work no matter how high you are.
>
> Eric Greenwell

Eric, This sounded great so I just looked into this. It seems the only satellite product they show is "mosaic" and from the description it sounds like infrared view only. It says it does not show clouds lower than 5000 AGL so may not be useful for tracking cloud streets on all days.

Satellite Mosaic
"Displays cloud cover over the continental United States and hundreds of miles off its coastline. An advanced formula estimates cloud temperatures at various altitudes across the country and converts them into estimated cloud height. Clouds below 5,000 feet are so close to ground temperatures, they are not shown."

Eric Greenwell[_4_]
November 26th 13, 05:11 AM
Soartech wrote, On 11/25/2013 10:36 AM:

>> XM weather. Google it. Takes a subscription, but it's delivered by
>>
>> satellite, so it will work no matter how high you are.
>>
>> Eric Greenwell
>
> Eric, This sounded great so I just looked into this. It seems the
> only satellite product they show is "mosaic" and from the description
> it sounds like infrared view only. It says it does not show clouds
> lower than 5000 AGL so may not be useful for tracking cloud streets
> on all days.
>
> Satellite Mosaic "Displays cloud cover over the continental United
> States and hundreds of miles off its coastline. An advanced formula
> estimates cloud temperatures at various altitudes across the country
> and converts them into estimated cloud height. Clouds below 5,000
> feet are so close to ground temperatures, they are not shown."

You need to come out West, where 5000 AGL is so low, your are picking
out a place to land :^)

I've never used XM weather, but a friend of mine uses it, and says the
cloud images are very helpful when dealing with thunderstorms. I don't
know if the resolution is good enough for cloud streets or wave bars. I
suspect not, since it seems to take the 1 km visible to see those, and
the IR resolution is 2km at best.

email me)

Tom Kelley #711
November 26th 13, 05:43 AM
On Monday, November 25, 2013 10:11:55 PM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
> Soartech wrote, On 11/25/2013 10:36 AM:
>

> >> XM weather. Google it. Takes a subscription, but it's delivered by
>

> >> satellite, so it will work no matter how high you are.
>

> >> Eric Greenwell
>

> > Eric, This sounded great so I just looked into this. It seems the
>
> > only satellite product they show is "mosaic" and from the description
>
> > it sounds like infrared view only. It says it does not show clouds
>
> > lower than 5000 AGL so may not be useful for tracking cloud streets
>
> > on all days.
>

> > Satellite Mosaic "Displays cloud cover over the continental United
>
> > States and hundreds of miles off its coastline. An advanced formula
>
> > estimates cloud temperatures at various altitudes across the country
>
> > and converts them into estimated cloud height. Clouds below 5,000
>
> > feet are so close to ground temperatures, they are not shown."
>

> You need to come out West, where 5000 AGL is so low, your are picking
>
> out a place to land :^)
>

> I've never used XM weather, but a friend of mine uses it, and says the
>
> cloud images are very helpful when dealing with thunderstorms. I don't
>
> know if the resolution is good enough for cloud streets or wave bars. I
>
> suspect not, since it seems to take the 1 km visible to see those, and
>
> the IR resolution is 2km at best.
>

> --
>
> Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to
>
> email me)

Eric, you got a ASH 26 and your looking for a place to land when your under 5000 AGL? You gotta be ****'in me...........

Google