PDA

View Full Version : small airplanes are dangerous

JimTheBoatMan
April 20th 04, 06:54 PM
I often worry about all the small airplanes flying around my house.
Shouldn't
they be regulated better. I mean can these guys just fly all over with out
the government knowing about it. One of my friends told me that they
can just leave and go where ever they want without telling anybody. I
think somebody should be watching them every minute because it
could be somebody dangerous in there. Why do they need those things
anyway?

Peter R.
April 20th 04, 06:56 PM
JimTheBoatMan ) wrote:

> I often worry about all the small airplanes <snip>

Please don't feed the obvious troll...

--
Peter

Cecil Chapman
April 20th 04, 07:03 PM
> Please don't feed the obvious troll...
>
> --
> Peter

I won't feed them,,,, but I'm kinda surprised,,, they are getting less
clever about it.... Perhaps they need to go back to 'Troll School'...
nothing worse than a troll that is ignorant in its' craft. :-)

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL
Student-IASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -
"Peter R." > wrote in message
> JimTheBoatMan ) wrote:
>
> > I often worry about all the small airplanes <snip>

Otis Winslow
April 20th 04, 07:26 PM
I think they should outlaw boats. They're dangerous. Y'all all boat people
could be hiding terrorist stuff in them.

"JimTheBoatMan" > wrote in message
.. .
> I often worry about all the small airplanes flying around my house.
> Shouldn't
> they be regulated better. I mean can these guys just fly all over with out
> the government knowing about it. One of my friends told me that they
> can just leave and go where ever they want without telling anybody. I
> think somebody should be watching them every minute because it
> could be somebody dangerous in there. Why do they need those things
> anyway?

gatt
April 20th 04, 08:01 PM
"Otis Winslow" > wrote in message

> I think they should outlaw boats. They're dangerous. Y'all all boat people
> could be hiding terrorist stuff in them.

In Oregon they're requiring registration for all boaters now, all the way
down to the guys with electric motors on the canoes.

Having been a boater in Oregon for several years now, I can say IT'S ABOUT
TIME!

Boaters tend to be drunk redneck trash, rich or poor (I'm poor now 'cause of
flying). At least pilots pride themselves on professionalism. (Except the
guy in Troutdale a few years ago who preflighted his airplane after he
landed so he wouldn't have to preflight it when he went out to fly. Dude
left his window open and had swallows nesting in the airplane for about a
month before he went out to fly.)

-c

Andrew Gideon
April 20th 04, 08:03 PM
Otis Winslow wrote:

> I think they should outlaw boats. They're dangerous. Y'all all boat people
> could be hiding terrorist stuff in them.

I"m a lot more worried about cars, vans, and trucks. Someday, some
terrorist might be able to drive right up to a building with a day care
center and blow it up. These things should be banned for the benefit of
our children.

- Andrew

Dennis O'Connor
April 20th 04, 08:22 PM
Ryder trucks are the most dangerous of all...

"Otis Winslow" > wrote in message
.. .
> I think they should outlaw boats. They're dangerous. Y'all all boat people
> could be hiding terrorist stuff in them.
>

> "JimTheBoatMan" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > I often worry about all the small airplanes flying around my house.
> > Shouldn't
> > they be regulated better. I mean can these guys just fly all over with
out
> > the government knowing about it. One of my friends told me that they
> > can just leave and go where ever they want without telling anybody. I
> > think somebody should be watching them every minute because it
> > could be somebody dangerous in there. Why do they need those things
> > anyway?

Dennis O'Connor
April 20th 04, 08:23 PM
Off your lithium again, hey Jimbo...

"JimTheBoatMan" > wrote in message
.. .
> I often worry about all the small airplanes flying around my house.
> Shouldn't
> they be regulated better. I mean can these guys just fly all over with out
> the government knowing about it. One of my friends told me that they
> can just leave and go where ever they want without telling anybody. I
> think somebody should be watching them every minute because it
> could be somebody dangerous in there. Why do they need those things
> anyway?

G.R. Patterson III
April 21st 04, 02:22 AM
Cecil Chapman wrote:

> nothing worse than a troll that is ignorant in its' craft. :-)

He's a freshman.

George Patterson
This marriage is off to a shaky start. The groom just asked the band to
play "Your cheatin' heart", and the bride just requested "Don't come home
a'drinkin' with lovin' on your mind".

John Theune
April 25th 04, 04:53 AM
"JimTheBoatMan" > wrote in
:

> I often worry about all the small airplanes flying around my house.
> Shouldn't
> they be regulated better. I mean can these guys just fly all over with
> out the government knowing about it. One of my friends told me that
> they can just leave and go where ever they want without telling
> anybody. I think somebody should be watching them every minute because
> it could be somebody dangerous in there. Why do they need those things
> anyway?

I ofton worry about those small boats floating around near my house. I
think they should be regulated more. I mean those guys can just sail
anywhere they want to. I understand that they can just leave and go
anywhere they want. I think that they should be watched every second
because they might be transporting dangerous people in them. Why do we
need boats anyway?

John Gaquin
April 25th 04, 05:52 AM
> "JimTheBoatMan" > wrote in
>
> > I often worry about all the small airplanes flying around my house.

troll

ForsbergAviation
April 25th 04, 06:21 AM
Hearing the Sound of the Sound again "John:!
"John Theune" > wrote in message
1...
> "JimTheBoatMan" > wrote in
> :
>
> > I often worry about all the small airplanes flying around my house.
> > Shouldn't
> > they be regulated better. I mean can these guys just fly all over with
> > out the government knowing about it. One of my friends told me that
> > they can just leave and go where ever they want without telling
> > anybody. I think somebody should be watching them every minute because
> > it could be somebody dangerous in there. Why do they need those things
> > anyway?
> >

> I ofton worry about those small boats floating around near my house. I
> think they should be regulated more. I mean those guys can just sail
> anywhere they want to. I understand that they can just leave and go
> anywhere they want. I think that they should be watched every second
> because they might be transporting dangerous people in them. Why do we
> need boats anyway?

Casey Wilson
April 25th 04, 06:11 PM
"John Theune" > wrote in message
1...
> "JimTheBoatMan" > wrote in
> :
>
> > I often worry about all the small airplanes flying around my house.
> > Shouldn't
> > they be regulated better. I mean can these guys just fly all over with
> > out the government knowing about it. One of my friends told me that
> > they can just leave and go where ever they want without telling
> > anybody. I think somebody should be watching them every minute because
> > it could be somebody dangerous in there. Why do they need those things
> > anyway?
> >

> I ofton worry about those small boats floating around near my house. I
> think they should be regulated more. I mean those guys can just sail
> anywhere they want to. I understand that they can just leave and go
> anywhere they want. I think that they should be watched every second
> because they might be transporting dangerous people in them. Why do we
> need boats anyway?

Everytime I see one of those U-Haul, Penske, Ryder, et al, rental vans
driving down the street or parked at the curb I break into a cold sweat
wondering how much ammoniuon nitrate and diesel oil is loaded aboard.
[Well, not really.....]

Buff5200
April 27th 04, 04:01 AM

>>I often worry about all the small airplanes flying around my house.

No need to worry. The aviation community has a PERFECT safety record.

Every plane that has taken off, has come back to earth and landed.
We have never left one stranded in the sky.

Roger Halstead
April 27th 04, 05:01 AM
On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 17:11:02 GMT, "Casey Wilson" >
wrote:

>"John Theune" > wrote in message
1...
>> "JimTheBoatMan" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>> > I often worry about all the small airplanes flying around my house.
>> > Shouldn't
>> > they be regulated better. I mean can these guys just fly all over with
>> > out the government knowing about it. One of my friends told me that
>> > they can just leave and go where ever they want without telling
>> > anybody. I think somebody should be watching them every minute because
>> > it could be somebody dangerous in there. Why do they need those things
>> > anyway?
>> >

>> I ofton worry about those small boats floating around near my house. I
>> think they should be regulated more. I mean those guys can just sail
>> anywhere they want to. I understand that they can just leave and go
>> anywhere they want. I think that they should be watched every second
>> because they might be transporting dangerous people in them. Why do we
>> need boats anyway?

My troll o meter just broke.

>Everytime I see one of those U-Haul, Penske, Ryder, et al, rental vans
>driving down the street or parked at the curb I break into a cold sweat
>wondering how much ammoniuon nitrate and diesel oil is loaded aboard.
> [Well, not really.....]

Boats? Trucks?

I worry about cars, even the small ones.
My Daughter was about a 100 yards from the bomb that went off in Bali
last year. That car was smaller than our subcompacts here in the
states.

We're gonna have to keep all the cars out of the cities and towns.

Now think about how much a farmer can haul in a grain wagon and they
have access to the right chemicals to do all sorts of things. I'd sure
hate to live next to one of them. Oh, and we need to keep those big
trucks and grain wagons out of the towns.

Any one see the Penn And Teller Show on personal safety? They pretty
much pointed out the futility of so much worry. Of course they gave
the press and government a bit of the credit for sensationalizing it.

That was the same show where they pointed out that PETA was
contributing to "The Animal Liberation Front" (had the tax returns to
prove it), and that PETA is using the guy who firebombed Michigan
State's lab as a spokesperson who spends his time going around to
grade schools talking to our kids and grand children. A guy who has
been convicted numerous times and has done time for felonies.

Now, wasn't that a refreshing thought?

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

G.R. Patterson III
April 27th 04, 03:17 PM
Roger Halstead wrote:

> Now think about how much a farmer can haul in a grain wagon and they
> have access to the right chemicals to do all sorts of things.

Both nitroglycerin and gunpowder use materials that are readily available to anyone
(are you *really* sure that guy buying charcoal is actually planning a cookout?).

George Patterson
If you don't tell lies, you never have to remember what you said.

Teacherjh
April 27th 04, 10:17 PM
>> Every plane that has taken off, has come back to earth and landed.

That's not true. There are a bunch of them in the air right now. I don't know
if they'll ever come down. You might insist that they will, but that's pure
speculation.

Some years back there was a plane that crashed into the smog around the LA
Basin. It was stuck up there for weeks, they had to use helicopters with
backhoes to get the pieces out, and when they ripped the smog bank, all the
smog leaked out and LA had clear weather for hours.

Jose

John Pelchat
April 28th 04, 01:12 AM
Buff5200 > wrote in message >...

> >>I often worry about all the small airplanes flying around my house.
> >>

> No need to worry. The aviation community has a PERFECT safety record.
>
> Every plane that has taken off, has come back to earth and landed.
> We have never left one stranded in the sky.

I just wanted to say that I was proud of you guys!!! Some folks on
the other groups I read would have surely fallen over the edge in vain
attempts to win the guy over to their point of you. I should post
this entire thread as an example how to respond to trolls.

Perhaps you have demonstrated the impact humor can have against people
who take themselves and what in the news groups way too seriously.

Blue skies

John Pelchat

coustanis
April 28th 04, 02:24 PM
Teacherjh wrote:

> >> Every plane that has taken off, has come back to earth and landed.
>
> That's not true. There are a bunch of them in the air right now. I don't know
> if they'll ever come down. You might insist that they will, but that's pure
> speculation.
>
> Some years back there was a plane that crashed into the smog

I crashed into smog once but all it did was swirl around me.
Did I just get lucky?

G.R. Patterson III
April 28th 04, 02:34 PM
coustanis wrote:

> I crashed into smog once but all it did was swirl around me.
> Did I just get lucky?

Obviously baby smog. Hadn't had time to set up yet.

George Patterson
If you don't tell lies, you never have to remember what you said.

Greg Copeland
April 28th 04, 02:58 PM
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 14:17:08 +0000, G.R. Patterson III wrote:

> Roger Halstead wrote:
>>
>> Now think about how much a farmer can haul in a grain wagon and they
>> have access to the right chemicals to do all sorts of things.
>
> Both nitroglycerin and gunpowder use materials that are readily available to anyone
> (are you *really* sure that guy buying charcoal is actually planning a cookout?).

Umm. Don't you actually mean black powder? Gunpowder or smokeless
powder is much harder to make and more powerful to boot.

Peter Gottlieb
April 28th 04, 07:36 PM
"G.R. Patterson III" > wrote in message

> coustanis wrote:
> >
> > I crashed into smog once but all it did was swirl around me.
> > Did I just get lucky?
>
> Obviously baby smog. Hadn't had time to set up yet.

Quite correct. Adult, or Mature, smog can actually completely dissolve your
plane and all people aboard. If this weren't an extremely serious matter,
the FAA wouldn't require smog reports in weather briefings.

gatt
April 28th 04, 08:41 PM
"Buff5200" > wrote in message

> Every plane that has taken off, has come back to earth and landed.
> We have never left one stranded in the sky.

LOL!

-c

Roger Halstead
April 28th 04, 09:48 PM
On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 08:58:40 -0500, Greg Copeland >
wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 14:17:08 +0000, G.R. Patterson III wrote:
>

>> Roger Halstead wrote:
>>>
>>> Now think about how much a farmer can haul in a grain wagon and they
>>> have access to the right chemicals to do all sorts of things.
>>
>> Both nitroglycerin and gunpowder use materials that are readily available to anyone
>> (are you *really* sure that guy buying charcoal is actually planning a cookout?).
>>

>Umm. Don't you actually mean black powder? Gunpowder or smokeless
>powder is much harder to make and more powerful to boot.

Black powder is gun powder. Both black, and "smokes" are just
different kinds. Basic smokeless is derived from guncotton which is
not difficult to make, but to get the characteristics of the various
"progressive" burning smokeless powders is a science.

Unless confined, smokeless powder just burns. It takes a tight
confinement and pressure for it to burn faster hence the "progressive"
description. You can stick a match in a spoon full without losing
your eyebrows. Do not try with black powder <:-))

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

G.R. Patterson III
April 29th 04, 01:47 AM
Greg Copeland wrote:

> Umm. Don't you actually mean black powder?

Black powder *is* gunpowder.

George Patterson
If you don't tell lies, you never have to remember what you said.

PaulH
April 29th 04, 05:57 PM
Well, the ones that really keep me awake nights are the ultralights.
Those guys can take off from any back yard, and they can carry water
baloons full of smallpox that they can just drop into any swimming
pool. Should be banned from the skies. Much more dangerous than
rental trucks.

Peter Gottlieb
April 29th 04, 06:08 PM
Hey, troll, a *lot* must keep you awake at night.

"PaulH" > wrote in message
om...
> Well, the ones that really keep me awake nights are the ultralights.
> Those guys can take off from any back yard, and they can carry water
> baloons full of smallpox that they can just drop into any swimming
> pool. Should be banned from the skies. Much more dangerous than
> rental trucks.

Shiver Me Timbers
April 29th 04, 06:13 PM
> PaulH > wrote:

> Well, the ones that really keep me awake nights are the ultralights.
> Those guys can take off from any back yard, and they can carry water
> baloons full of smallpox that they can just drop into any swimming
> pool. Should be banned from the skies. Much more dangerous than
> rental trucks.

So to whoever you really are..... This is really how you have decided
to act on usenet, and the best that you can do with what must be a
rather sad excuse for a sad life.

gatt
April 29th 04, 10:32 PM
"Roger Halstead" > wrote in message

>You can stick a match in a spoon full without losing
> your eyebrows. Do not try with black powder <:-))

Saw the results when a teenage kid tried to pour a pound of gunpowder on a
campfire at a campground in Oregon once a few years back.

The "do not try" cannot be overstated.

OTOH, my dad blew two of his fingers off when he was twelve and although
he's an accomplished marksman and avid hunter, they wouldn't take him when
he tried to enlist and then they determined him ineligible for the draft.

Uh...blahblahsomethingtodowithflyingblahbeforefull topicaldeflection...

-c

gatt
April 29th 04, 10:34 PM
"PaulH" > wrote in message

> Well, the ones that really keep me awake nights are the ultralights.

Actually, that's truth. Was a guy in Corvallis that used to fly at night.
Nothing like an unmuffled engine flying low at 1 a.m. over an otherwise
quiet college town at 40 mph or whatever to draw out the AAA (amateur
anti-aircraft) fantasies.

-c

gatt
April 29th 04, 10:35 PM
"Shiver Me Timbers" > wrote in message

> > Well, the ones that really keep me awake nights are the ultralights.
> > Those guys can take off from any back yard, and they can carry water
> > baloons full of smallpox that they can just drop into any swimming
> > pool. Should be banned from the skies. Much more dangerous than
> > rental trucks.
>
> So to whoever you really are..... This is really how you have decided
> to act on usenet, and the best that you can do with what must be a
> rather sad excuse for a sad life.

I think he was joking.

-c

Shiver Me Timbers