PDA

View Full Version : Schools

timeh
April 27th 04, 09:29 AM
Hey all,

I am looking to switch careers. I want to go to school to become a
commercial pilot and want to get some advice and answers. How much am
I looking at spending to become a commercial pilot? And any
suggestions on schools? I currently live in pennsylvania.

EDR
April 27th 04, 04:42 PM
In article >, timeh
> wrote:

> I am looking to switch careers. I want to go to school to become a
> commercial pilot and want to get some advice and answers. How much am
> I looking at spending to become a commercial pilot? And any
> suggestions on schools? I currently live in pennsylvania.

Minimum time is 150 hours total time required by the FAA for the
Instrument Rating. After you get your Private, continue flying with an
instructor, working on the the instrument skills and commercial
maneuvers. That will leave you with 38 hours of solo practice/travel
hours to hone your skills. Take the Instrument then the Commercial
checkrides.

Private Pilot... $10,000 (instructor, $50/hr + aircraft, $85/hr, 75 hrs)
Instrument Rating... $3,000 (instructor, $50/hr + aircraft, $85/hr, 22
hours)
Commercial Rating... $1,500 (instructor, $50/hr + aircraft, $85/hr, 15
hrs)

75+38+15+22= 150 hours

gatt
April 27th 04, 11:35 PM
"EDR" > wrote in message news:270420041143057024%

> Private Pilot... $10,000 (instructor, $50/hr + aircraft, $85/hr, 75 hrs)

Community colleges might be able to reduce those costs, especially for
ground instruction. But check the rates regardless of what "discount" they
offer. The discounted rates at the local community college, partnered with
a major local FBO, are about what you describe above.

Meanwhile, across the runway, the FBO I fly out of charges $35/hr for
instruction and $56/hr for their C-152. I'm doing IFR training in a
180-horse Skyhawk with full IFR that rents for $77/hr in Oregon. Over time,
that amounts to an enormous amount of savings and, fortunately, the FBO
owner is a guy my family has known for decades.

> Instrument Rating... $3,000 (instructor, $50/hr + aircraft, $85/hr, 22
> hours)
> Commercial Rating... $1,500 (instructor, $50/hr + aircraft, $85/hr, 15
> hrs)

Wow. Well, now you've encouraged me, too I took out a $10,000 Key Bank
aviation loan at a fixed 3% rate that I don't have to start paying on until
6 months after I graduate. With luck, I'll have money to blow!

A couple of the local instructors have a deal going this summer where you
and the instructor fly for ten days to airfields all over the west in one
long IFR tour...hotel, food, flying time, instruction, the whole works for
$7,000. Seemed like a great deal. Maybe I'm glad I didn't do it!
-c

Google