PDA

View Full Version : VW?

Richard Lamb
February 23rd 04, 04:16 AM
I'm just kinda curious about who here might be flying
(or building?)
a VW powered airplane?

Richard

J.D.
February 23rd 04, 05:16 AM
>I'm just kinda curious about who here might be flying
>(or building?)
>a VW powered airplane?
>
>Richard

T-2, Quail, Ragwing Special...a little at a time! Gettin' hangar space next
month, thank heaven; I'll be able to see the living room floor and the
opposite wall of my garage again.

J.D.
to e-mail, pull the post

Richard Lamb
February 27th 04, 02:48 AM
Richard Lamb wrote:

> I'm just kinda curious about who here might be flying
> (or building?)
> a VW powered airplane?
>
> Richard

Oh come on now!

There are only two of us actually playing with VW planes?

On the whole list?

acepilot
February 27th 04, 11:53 AM
Does a Half-VW count?

Scott

Richard Lamb wrote:
> Richard Lamb wrote:
>
>>I'm just kinda curious about who here might be flying
>>(or building?)
>>a VW powered airplane?
>>
>>Richard
>

> Oh come on now!
>
> There are only two of us actually playing with VW planes?
>
> On the whole list?

Albert
February 27th 04, 12:59 PM
Not worth messing with VW's now that cheap used 80hp Rotax's and
Jabirus are available.
Albert

Richard Lamb > wrote in message >...
> Richard Lamb wrote:
> >
> > I'm just kinda curious about who here might be flying
> > (or building?)
> > a VW powered airplane?
> >
> > Richard
>

> Oh come on now!
>
> There are only two of us actually playing with VW planes?
>
> On the whole list?

RU ok
February 27th 04, 01:22 PM
>> I'm just kinda curious about who here might be flying
>> (or building?)
>> a VW powered airplane?
>>
>> Richard
>

>Oh come on now!
>
>There are only two of us actually playing with VW planes?
>
>On the whole list?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

One can only hope. <g>

Could it be...
Today's builders are more sophisticated, have more viable
options and are vastly better informed than in years past?

Barnyard BOb -- devil's advocate

Richard Lamb
February 27th 04, 05:35 PM
RU ok wrote:

> >> I'm just kinda curious about who here might be flying
> >> (or building?)
> >> a VW powered airplane?
> >>
> >> Richard
> >

> >Oh come on now!
> >
> >There are only two of us actually playing with VW planes?
> >
> >On the whole list?
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> One can only hope. <g>
>
> Could it be...
> Today's builders are more sophisticated, have more viable
> options and are vastly better informed than in years past?
>
> Barnyard BOb -- devil's advocate

Possibly, or maybe there just aren't THAT many builders here?

Richard Lamb
February 27th 04, 05:36 PM
acepilot wrote:

> Does a Half-VW count?
>
> Scott

For sake of argument, half a point?

Richard

> Richard Lamb wrote:
> > Richard Lamb wrote:
> >
> >>I'm just kinda curious about who here might be flying
> >>(or building?)
> >>a VW powered airplane?
> >>
> >>Richard
> >

> > Oh come on now!
> >
> > There are only two of us actually playing with VW planes?
> >
> > On the whole list?

February 27th 04, 06:11 PM
On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 11:53:02 +0000, acepilot >
wrote:

>Does a Half-VW count?
>
>Scott

Not exactly off topic (only half off) ... but I am seeking info on a
1/2 VW and a comparison between a 1/2 VW and a 1/3 Corvair.

Cost ? Weight? Power? And most importantly, fuel consumption.

How many Gal/Hr at minimum power settings? ... say 50% & how many HP
does this represent?

Any response appreciated, thinking of attempting a world record
flight, but need hard info.

Thanks,

jls
February 27th 04, 06:57 PM

> > >Oh come on now!
> > >
> > >There are only two of us actually playing with VW planes?
> > >
> > >On the whole list?
> > +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> >
> > One can only hope. <g>
> >
> > Could it be...
> > Today's builders are more sophisticated, have more viable
> > options and are vastly better informed than in years past?
> >
> > Barnyard BOob -- advocate's devil
>
> Possibly, or maybe there just aren't THAT many builders here?

You got THAT right, dude. I have flown behind a 1/2 VW and know someone
who has 700+ hours on one in a J-3 Kitten. He flies out of State Line, SE
of Rutherfordton, NC.

Veeduber
February 27th 04, 09:19 PM
>Possibly, or maybe there just aren't THAT many builders here?

Don't be silly. Lookit Oshkosh. If you include trailer trash and the ones
freighted in from Oz there must of been five, six hundred homebuilts there last
year.

-R.S.Hoover

Richard Lamb
February 27th 04, 11:39 PM
Veeduber wrote:

> >Possibly, or maybe there just aren't THAT many builders here?

> Don't be silly. Lookit Oshkosh. If you include trailer trash and the ones
> freighted in from Oz there must of been five, six hundred homebuilts there last
> year.
>
> -R.S.Hoover

Sorry Robert, I meant here on the list.

On my home field we have 12 (or more?) VW powered airplanes.
That's out of about 100 planes based here.

Leon McAtee
February 28th 04, 04:13 AM
wrote in message >...

> Not exactly off topic (only half off) ... but I am seeking info on a
> 1/2 VW and a comparison between a 1/2 VW and a 1/3 Corvair.
>
> Cost ? Weight? Power? And most importantly, fuel consumption.

Opinion follows................................

Cost? Depends on what you can scrounge up. The 110 Hp Corvairs are
getting kind of hard to find. All of us airplane types are buying
them up. But other than a slightly smaller size due to the shorter
stroke there really is nothing wrong with the older ones.

Weight? Based on my comparisons (and I have both sitting here in my
shop) I'd be willing to bet the 13/ Corvair is going to end up just a
bit heavier.

Power? Both the VW and the Corvair are limited in continuos power
output by their waste heat dissipation. 100 Hp Corvair conversions
have proven reliable so you could probably expect a mid 30 Hp 1/3
Corvair to be reliable.

Other differences? There is a greater supply of parts for the VW than
the Corvair, but lots of them are junk. You can still get good VW
parts. You just have to know what to look for.

You can buy a good counterweighted crank for a VW and cut it in half.
You will have to weld your own for the Corvair.

The oil pump housing in the Corvair is cast with the rear case
housing. If the housing on a VW pump gets worn you just replace the
whole thing.

Can't put dual plugs in a VW head due to where they put the
camshaft(at least and have them symmetrical in each head and easy to
service). Dual plugs in a Corvair head is easy.

The Corvair has hydraulic lifters. Good hydraulic lifters for VW's
may not exist.

> How many Gal/Hr at minimum power settings? ... say 50% & how many HP
> does this represent?

For all practical purposes the 1/2 VW and the 1/3 Corvair will use the
same amount of fuel for the same Hp. Nothing we mere mortals can do
to change this. If you want good fuel efficency for duration records
find a water cooled motor, a Diesel would be best. Look at the Briggs
and Stratton Vanguard 3 cylinder diesel. Made by Diahatsu and can be
had with factory turbo. About the same weight and rated at 30 HP -
continuos.

If you decide on a 1/2 VW check eBay. I should have a fresh set of
heads for sale soon............nice ones, not the welded creations
most have.
=================================
Leon McAtee
Quickie with 1/2 VW - 55% finished

> Any response appreciated, thinking of attempting a world record
> flight, but need hard info.
>
> Thanks,

RU ok
February 28th 04, 01:32 PM
>> >Possibly, or maybe there just aren't THAT many builders here?

>> Don't be silly. Lookit Oshkosh. If you include trailer trash and the ones
>> freighted in from Oz there must of been five, six hundred homebuilts there last
>> year.
>>
>> -R.S.Hoover
>
>Sorry Robert, I meant here on the list.
>
>On my home field we have 12 (or more?) VW powered airplanes.
>That's out of about 100 planes based here.

Out of 100 planes on my home field, there is but one VW example.
After the third engine failure, it and the KR-2 it is attached to
appear destined to remain earthbound forever more.

Barnyard BOb -

Don
February 29th 04, 02:10 AM
Many homebuilts on my field with engines mostly Rotax and Jabiru. Two
with VW. There were three VW but one had engine failure after takeoff
and was destroyed. A visiting aircraft with VW had engine failure on
downwind and was destroyed. As previously said, there's no need to use
VW now that low cost used Rotax and Jabiru are available.
Don

RU ok > wrote in message

> Out of 100 planes on my home field, there is but one VW example.
> After the third engine failure, it and the KR-2 it is attached to
> appear destined to remain earthbound forever more.
>

> Barnyard BOb -

Richard Lamb
February 29th 04, 04:45 AM
Don wrote:

> Many homebuilts on my field with engines mostly Rotax and Jabiru. Two
> with VW. There were three VW but one had engine failure after takeoff
> and was destroyed. A visiting aircraft with VW had engine failure on
> downwind and was destroyed. As previously said, there's no need to use
> VW now that low cost used Rotax and Jabiru are available.
> Don

Depends on what do you consider "low cost"?
A new Rotax 912 might as well be a Lycoming, price wise...

Ricahrd

> RU ok > wrote in message
> >
> > Out of 100 planes on my home field, there is but one VW example.
> > After the third engine failure, it and the KR-2 it is attached to
> > appear destined to remain earthbound forever more.
> >

> > Barnyard BOb -

Edward Schrom
February 29th 04, 03:02 PM
Me! A Sonerai, but I'm at least a couple of years from flying. Haven't even
bought the engine yet.

Ed Schrom

"Richard Lamb" > wrote in message
> Richard Lamb wrote:
> >
> > I'm just kinda curious about who here might be flying
> > (or building?)
> > a VW powered airplane?
> >
> > Richard
>

> Oh come on now!
>
> There are only two of us actually playing with VW planes?
>
> On the whole list?

Jerry Springer
February 29th 04, 04:06 PM
VW let me down twice, would not fly behind one again even if it meant
I had to give up flying forever, which I almost did flying behind a VW.
When I first got into homebuilt aircraft there were many airplanes using
VW's, you do not see many anymore for a reson. YMMV

Jerry

Don wrote:
> Many homebuilts on my field with engines mostly Rotax and Jabiru. Two
> with VW. There were three VW but one had engine failure after takeoff
> and was destroyed. A visiting aircraft with VW had engine failure on
> downwind and was destroyed. As previously said, there's no need to use
> VW now that low cost used Rotax and Jabiru are available.
> Don
>
> RU ok > wrote in message
>
>>Out of 100 planes on my home field, there is but one VW example.
>>After the third engine failure, it and the KR-2 it is attached to
>>appear destined to remain earthbound forever more.
>>

>>Barnyard BOb -

Don
February 29th 04, 04:45 PM
A Rotax 503 with reduction drive swinging a 60" prop would provide
much more thrust at greatly reduced weight than a direct drive VW.
Should be able to pick up a dual ignition 503 with a few hundred hours
for less than the cost of a VW conversion.
Don

Richard Lamb > wrote in message >
> Depends on what do you consider "low cost"?
> A new Rotax 912 might as well be a Lycoming, price wise...
>

> Ricahrd

Leon McAtee
February 29th 04, 06:50 PM
(Don) wrote in message >...

As previously said, there's no need to use
> VW now that low cost used Rotax and Jabiru are available.
> Don

I don't know where your finding all of these cheap motors. Sure isn't
in TAP or on Barnstormers (or I'm just not looking in the right place)
and with the euro exchange rate the Rotax isn't such a good buy now.
The OZ dollar is starting to gain also.

As for VW reliability they get a bad reputation because the majority
of the ones that quit could be expected to quit. The VW is NOT a
simple motor to work on. You have to know it's quirks. Back when I
was build'n em for a living I lost a bunch of work to the "guy down
the road" because he would do a rebuild for $600 when I charged $800
"for the same thing". I generally had to charge $900, or more, to
redo the other guys work - if the customer had any money left 6 months
later.

Point is there are just too many "experts" that have built a 1/2 dozen
or so buggy motors that think they can build a reliable VW aero motor.
They generally can't. After you've built a few hundred and lived
with them through their life span then you begin to get an idea of
what works and what doesn't. Then you get to start all over with that
knowledge base and adapt it to the unique demands of pulln' or pushn'
a plane.

So don't disparage the VW just because some are junk. Just like the
airframe they power, if properly built and operated within a
reasonable envelope they are just as reliable as any
powerplant..................in my opinion.

=====================================
Leon McAtee
"Puttn' my money where my mouth is"
Quickie with 1/2 VW %55 finished

Jerry Springer
February 29th 04, 08:49 PM
Leon McAtee wrote:
> (Don) wrote in message >...
>
> As previously said, there's no need to use
>
>>VW now that low cost used Rotax and Jabiru are available.
>>Don
>

> I don't know where your finding all of these cheap motors. Sure isn't
> in TAP or on Barnstormers (or I'm just not looking in the right place)
> and with the euro exchange rate the Rotax isn't such a good buy now.
> The OZ dollar is starting to gain also.
>
> As for VW reliability they get a bad reputation because the majority
> of the ones that quit could be expected to quit. The VW is NOT a
> simple motor to work on. You have to know it's quirks. Back when I
> was build'n em for a living I lost a bunch of work to the "guy down
> the road" because he would do a rebuild for $600 when I charged $800
> "for the same thing". I generally had to charge $900, or more, to
> redo the other guys work - if the customer had any money left 6 months
> later.
>
> Point is there are just too many "experts" that have built a 1/2 dozen
> or so buggy motors that think they can build a reliable VW aero motor.
> They generally can't. After you've built a few hundred and lived
> with them through their life span then you begin to get an idea of
> what works and what doesn't. Then you get to start all over with that
> knowledge base and adapt it to the unique demands of pulln' or pushn'
> a plane.
>
> So don't disparage the VW just because some are junk. Just like the
> airframe they power, if properly built and operated within a
> reasonable envelope they are just as reliable as any
> powerplant..................in my opinion.
>
> =====================================
> Leon McAtee

In my case it was built by Revmaster which had been building VW engines for years.

Jerry

G. A. Loeffler
February 29th 04, 08:51 PM
about 60someting Sonexes build until today, about half of them fly behind a
2180cc VW
-loef (www.loeff.de)

"Jerry Springer" > wrote in message
link.net...
> VW let me down twice, would not fly behind one again even if it meant
> I had to give up flying forever, which I almost did flying behind a VW.
> When I first got into homebuilt aircraft there were many airplanes using
> VW's, you do not see many anymore for a reson. YMMV
>
> Jerry
>
> Don wrote:
> > Many homebuilts on my field with engines mostly Rotax and Jabiru. Two
> > with VW. There were three VW but one had engine failure after takeoff
> > and was destroyed. A visiting aircraft with VW had engine failure on
> > downwind and was destroyed. As previously said, there's no need to use
> > VW now that low cost used Rotax and Jabiru are available.
> > Don
> >
> > RU ok > wrote in message
> >
> >>Out of 100 planes on my home field, there is but one VW example.
> >>After the third engine failure, it and the KR-2 it is attached to
> >>appear destined to remain earthbound forever more.
> >>

> >>Barnyard BOb -

Don
March 1st 04, 06:14 AM
According to Sonex completions at
http://www.sonex-ltd.com/completions.html only 28% are VW.
NTSB reports that Jack Lockamy's VW powered Sonex had 'loss of engine
power' after take-off. "... crank/sleeve/hub arrangement cut loose"
reported elsewhere.
Don

"G. A. Loeffler" > wrote in message >...
> about 60someting Sonexes build until today, about half of them fly behind a
> 2180cc VW
> -loef (www.loeff.de)

RU ok
March 1st 04, 07:44 AM
>As for VW reliability they get a bad reputation because the majority
>of the ones that quit could be expected to quit. The VW is NOT a
>simple motor to work on. You have to know it's quirks. Back when I
>was build'n em for a living I lost a bunch of work to the "guy down
>the road" because he would do a rebuild for $600 when I charged $800
>"for the same thing". I generally had to charge $900, or more, to
>redo the other guys work - if the customer had any money left 6 months
>later.
>
>Point is there are just too many "experts" that have built a 1/2 dozen
>or so buggy motors that think they can build a reliable VW aero motor.
> They generally can't. After you've built a few hundred and lived
>with them through their life span then you begin to get an idea of
>what works and what doesn't. Then you get to start all over with that
>knowledge base and adapt it to the unique demands of pulln' or pushn'
>a plane.

Point is....
Auto rebuilds don't count for squat. Until you have built a couple
hundred engines specifically and SUCCESSFULLY for aircraft,
you are just flapping your gums, too.

>So don't disparage the VW just because some are junk. Just like the
>airframe they power, if properly built and operated within a
>reasonable envelope they are just as reliable as any
>powerplant..................in my opinion.

>Leon McAtee
>"Puttn' my money where my mouth is"
>Quickie with 1/2 VW %55 finished

Put your money and your ass where your mouth is,
but screwing with half a VW is a 'half fast' attempt at flight.

For the rest of you contemplating VW power....
check and see if you can find an insurance company that
will write hull coverage for you and at what price. What you
discover will tell you what VW power is worth to the savvy folks
that pay out losses and survive the builder/pilots that don't.

Barnyard BOb -- over 50 years of successful flight

Daniel
March 1st 04, 03:20 PM
RU ok wrote ...

> Out of 100 planes on my home field, there is but one VW example.
> After the third engine failure, it and the KR-2 it is attached to
> appear destined to remain earthbound forever more.

Probably a good idea. If the fellow can't do it right, he shouldn't
be flying it. Therein lies the crux of the problem with VW's and
other auto-conversions: If LyCons were being built by 100's of
backyard mechanics and self-styled experts randomly using a huge base
of aftermarket dune buggy parts from God knows where, following
do-it-yourself self published tracts, applying racing engine
methodologies and being abused by asking two and three times the
performance they are capable of, you'd likely see similar incidences
of failure. Those who are successful with VW conversions are
generally those who put as much effort into building their engines
right as LyCon puts into theirs, and then operate the engine within
it's abilities.

Daniel

Leon McAtee
March 2nd 04, 02:02 AM
RU ok > wrote in message >...
>> Then you get to start all over with that
> >knowledge base and adapt it to the unique demands of pulln' or pushn'
> >a plane.
>
> Point is....
> Auto rebuilds don't count for squat. Until you have built a couple
> hundred engines specifically and SUCCESSFULLY for aircraft,
> you are just flapping your gums, too.

I believe that - is - essentially what I was saying. But I disagree
with the assertion that any prior experience is "worth squat". That
prior experience lets one avoid at least some of the basic mistakes.
If you or anyone else thinks in some way that I am claiming to be an
aero VW expert I'm sorry to have mislead. I am NOT an aero VW expert
- yet (my never be). But I do have enough VW experience to see the
problems with some of the VW conversions. Many of these problems are
basic, known and understood by those with some experience, and lead to
unreliability of VW engines, even when installed in ground bound
applications.

That prior experience allows me to see the limitations of the VW
motor. It as a result of that prior experience that I generally
recommend to others that they NOT consider the VW as an aircraft
powerplant because most often expectations are unrealistically high.
To dismiss the motor completely due the the shortcomings of a bunch of
amateur converters is short sighted and closed minded.
=================
Leon McAtee
Atkins trimmed ass leaves less for the 1/2 VW to pull <G>

RU ok
March 2nd 04, 03:29 AM
>To dismiss the motor completely due the the shortcomings of a bunch of
>amateur converters is short sighted and closed minded.
>Leon McAtee
>Atkins trimmed ass leaves less for the 1/2 VW to pull <G>
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

OK...
For the sake of discussion, consider the amateurs eliminated.

Who is left with a reputation of converting and selling hundreds
of VW engines that yield PROVEN equal reliability, performance
at a significantly lower overall LONG TERM cost than suitably
rebuilt aircraft engines... like the 65 hp Continental, for example?

Nobody, if you 'axe' me.

As far as anyone using 1/2 of a VW goes...
They are not even in the business of flying.
TURD comes to mind.....

Trainee
Under
Rapid
Development.

Barnyard BOb -

Jerry Springer
March 2nd 04, 03:31 AM
RU ok wrote:
>>As for VW reliability they get a bad reputation because the majority
>>of the ones that quit could be expected to quit. The VW is NOT a
>>simple motor to work on. You have to know it's quirks. Back when I
>>was build'n em for a living I lost a bunch of work to the "guy down
>>the road" because he would do a rebuild for $600 when I charged $800
>>"for the same thing". I generally had to charge $900, or more, to
>>redo the other guys work - if the customer had any money left 6 months
>>later.
>>
>>Point is there are just too many "experts" that have built a 1/2 dozen
>>or so buggy motors that think they can build a reliable VW aero motor.
>>They generally can't. After you've built a few hundred and lived
>>with them through their life span then you begin to get an idea of
>>what works and what doesn't. Then you get to start all over with that
>>knowledge base and adapt it to the unique demands of pulln' or pushn'
>>a plane.
>

> Point is....
> Auto rebuilds don't count for squat. Until you have built a couple
> hundred engines specifically and SUCCESSFULLY for aircraft,
> you are just flapping your gums, too.
>

>>So don't disparage the VW just because some are junk. Just like the
>>airframe they power, if properly built and operated within a
>>reasonable envelope they are just as reliable as any
>>powerplant..................in my opinion.
>

>>Leon McAtee
>>"Puttn' my money where my mouth is"
>>Quickie with 1/2 VW %55 finished
>

> Put your money and your ass where your mouth is,
> but screwing with half a VW is a 'half fast' attempt at flight.
>
> For the rest of you contemplating VW power....
> check and see if you can find an insurance company that
> will write hull coverage for you and at what price. What you
> discover will tell you what VW power is worth to the savvy folks
> that pay out losses and survive the builder/pilots that don't.
>
> Barnyard BOb -- over 50 years of successful flight

Bob
Notice in the NTSB prilimanary reports for this last weekend that out of
the four experimental forced landings three of them were auto engines. :-)

Jerry(crashed behind a VW and lived to tell about it twice)Springer

RU ok
March 2nd 04, 11:23 AM
On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 03:31:54 GMT, Jerry Springer
> wrote:

>RU ok wrote:
>>>As for VW reliability they get a bad reputation because the majority
>>>of the ones that quit could be expected to quit. The VW is NOT a
>>>simple motor to work on. You have to know it's quirks. Back when I
>>>was build'n em for a living I lost a bunch of work to the "guy down
>>>the road" because he would do a rebuild for $600 when I charged $800
>>>"for the same thing". I generally had to charge $900, or more, to
>>>redo the other guys work - if the customer had any money left 6 months
>>>later.
>>>
>>>Point is there are just too many "experts" that have built a 1/2 dozen
>>>or so buggy motors that think they can build a reliable VW aero motor.
>>>They generally can't. After you've built a few hundred and lived
>>>with them through their life span then you begin to get an idea of
>>>what works and what doesn't. Then you get to start all over with that
>>>knowledge base and adapt it to the unique demands of pulln' or pushn'
>>>a plane.
>>

>> Point is....
>> Auto rebuilds don't count for squat. Until you have built a couple
>> hundred engines specifically and SUCCESSFULLY for aircraft,
>> you are just flapping your gums, too.
>>

>>>So don't disparage the VW just because some are junk. Just like the
>>>airframe they power, if properly built and operated within a
>>>reasonable envelope they are just as reliable as any
>>>powerplant..................in my opinion.
>>

>>>Leon McAtee
>>>"Puttn' my money where my mouth is"
>>>Quickie with 1/2 VW %55 finished
>>

>> Put your money and your ass where your mouth is,
>> but screwing with half a VW is a 'half fast' attempt at flight.
>>
>> For the rest of you contemplating VW power....
>> check and see if you can find an insurance company that
>> will write hull coverage for you and at what price. What you
>> discover will tell you what VW power is worth to the savvy folks
>> that pay out losses and survive the builder/pilots that don't.
>>
>> Barnyard BOb -- over 50 years of successful flight
>>

>Bob
>Notice in the NTSB prilimanary reports for this last weekend that out of
>the four experimental forced landings three of them were auto engines. :-)
>
>Jerry(crashed behind a VW and lived to tell about it twice)Springer

We who are considered 'messengers of doom' concerning auto
conversions are not likely to sway those who herald them as equal
or better than certified aircraft engines. However, if I can be the
cause for just one swayable soul to understand that they are laying
their life and their passengers on the line in a high risk venture, it
is easily worth any backlash that comes my way.

IMHO, anyone who puts a 'happy face' on auto engines for
airplane use should be held liable for such cavalier behavior.
Converting is a terribly, terribly serious and complex endeavor
that few can measure up to and successfully master.

The usual words heard for considering an auto conversion are...
"I can't afford a real airplane engine."

With rare exception... few can truly afford otherwise.

Barnyard BOb - over 50 years of successful flight

Bill A.
March 2nd 04, 03:32 PM
I respect all of your opinions but does anyone have actual numbers on
engines (VW, Corvair, Rotax, Lycoming,...)? I'm looking for the number in
use, hours flown, number of accidents, etc.

"RU ok" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 03:31:54 GMT, Jerry Springer
> > wrote:

> >> Point is....
> >> Auto rebuilds don't count for squat. Until you have built a couple
> >> hundred engines specifically and SUCCESSFULLY for aircraft,
> >> you are just flapping your gums, too.

> >> Put your money and your ass where your mouth is,
> >> but screwing with half a VW is a 'half fast' attempt at flight.
> >>
> >> For the rest of you contemplating VW power....
> >> check and see if you can find an insurance company that
> >> will write hull coverage for you and at what price. What you
> >> discover will tell you what VW power is worth to the savvy folks
> >> that pay out losses and survive the builder/pilots that don't.
> >>
> >> Barnyard BOb -- over 50 years of successful flight
> >>

> >Bob
> >Notice in the NTSB prilimanary reports for this last weekend that out of
> >the four experimental forced landings three of them were auto engines.
:-)

> >Jerry(crashed behind a VW and lived to tell about it twice)Springer
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> We who are considered 'messengers of doom' concerning auto
> conversions are not likely to sway those who herald them as equal
> or better than certified aircraft engines. However, if I can be the
> cause for just one swayable soul to understand that they are laying
> their life and their passengers on the line in a high risk venture, it
> is easily worth any backlash that comes my way.
>
> IMHO, anyone who puts a 'happy face' on auto engines for
> airplane use should be held liable for such cavalier behavior.
> Converting is a terribly, terribly serious and complex endeavor
> that few can measure up to and successfully master.
>
> The usual words heard for considering an auto conversion are...
> "I can't afford a real airplane engine."
>
> With rare exception... few can truly afford otherwise.
>

> Barnyard BOb - over 50 years of successful flight

Richard Lamb
March 2nd 04, 04:27 PM
Doc had 600 hours on his 1776 powered Parasol...

On the other hand, I got about 16 hours on my first VW.
It was a 1600, and had to run 3200 rpm just to keep the
plane up.

Got a litle recreation out of it.
Got a LOT of education.

Richard

"Bill A." wrote:

> I respect all of your opinions but does anyone have actual numbers on
> engines (VW, Corvair, Rotax, Lycoming,...)? I'm looking for the number in
> use, hours flown, number of accidents, etc.
>
> "RU ok" > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 03:31:54 GMT, Jerry Springer
> > > wrote:

> > >Bob
> > >Notice in the NTSB prilimanary reports for this last weekend that out of
> > >the four experimental forced landings three of them were auto engines.
> :-)
> > >
> > >Jerry(crashed behind a VW and lived to tell about it twice)Springer
> > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> >
> > We who are considered 'messengers of doom' concerning auto
> > conversions are not likely to sway those who herald them as equal
> > or better than certified aircraft engines. However, if I can be the
> > cause for just one swayable soul to understand that they are laying
> > their life and their passengers on the line in a high risk venture, it
> > is easily worth any backlash that comes my way.
> >
> > IMHO, anyone who puts a 'happy face' on auto engines for
> > airplane use should be held liable for such cavalier behavior.
> > Converting is a terribly, terribly serious and complex endeavor
> > that few can measure up to and successfully master.
> >
> > The usual words heard for considering an auto conversion are...
> > "I can't afford a real airplane engine."
> >
> > With rare exception... few can truly afford otherwise.
> >

> > Barnyard BOb - over 50 years of successful flight

Leon McAtee
March 2nd 04, 05:55 PM
RU ok > wrote in message >...

> Who is left with a reputation of converting and selling hundreds
> of VW engines that yield PROVEN equal reliability, performance
> at a significantly lower overall LONG TERM cost than suitably
> rebuilt aircraft engines... like the 65 hp Continental, for example?
>
> Nobody, if you 'axe' me.

And how many hundreds of Lycosaurs were around in, say, 1930 that
would yield PROVEN reliable performance? You have to start somewhere
if you want to improve things. Ambling down the same dusty path to
the same dead end isn't going to get you to your destination, unless
you are satisfied going where you have already been. Matter of fact
some claim that making the same mistake over and over is the
definition of stupidity - or insanity (neither of which I think wholly
applies in your case because I think you are quite satisfied to dwell
in the recent past comfortated by the benign acceptance of things as
they are).

RU ok > wrote in message >...

> Barnyard BOb - over 50 years of successful flight

Which means exactly "Squat". In the bell curve of life some are going
to reach this milestone through nothing more than dumb luck. That
just a simple statistical fact.

=====================
Leon McAtee.................looking for the end of the rainbow

Barnyard BOb
March 2nd 04, 05:57 PM
On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 15:32:04 GMT, "Bill A."
> wrote:

>I respect all of your opinions but does anyone have actual numbers on
>engines (VW, Corvair, Rotax, Lycoming,...)? I'm looking for the number in
>use, hours flown, number of accidents, etc.

Dream on.

Anyone that tells you they have anything better than suspect
numbers that can be used for LEGITIMATE purposes....
are greatly pulling your leg.

Aviation insurance companies have good stats for the types
of aircraft they insure, but don't expect to ever get access.

FWIW...
Nobody knows how many accidents and incidents go UNREPORTED...
especially, experimentals with auto conversions that either cannot
obtain insurance, seldom see anything more than private strips or
small airports run by operators that would find it in their self
interest to keep the lid on such negative press and events.

Barnyard BOb - over 50 years of successful flight

Veeduber
March 2nd 04, 06:39 PM
Flying Volkswagens are a bit like Texas midgets. Everything's bigger in Texas,
right? Even their midgets are six feet tall :-)

The VW Myth was spawned following WWII by those Gentleman Aviators of a
literary bent who, after winning the Battle of Britian decided to tell everyone
about it via articles in the aviation magazines. Of course, twelve issues a
year, your sea stories start getting a bit stale the n-th time they're told so
they extended their imaginary expertise to other areas, such those niffty
little flying machines coming out of Europe.

You know the ones I mean: Kubelwagen engine with a prop on one end and a Jodel
on the other.

Marvelous machine. Fly for pennies. Never a bit of trouble and the engines
were always good for at least a thousand hours.

All that from the Gentleman Aviator's single hop around the pea-patch followed
by a lengthy visit to the club house. No mention of the erks. Gentleman
Aviators do not associate with Other Ranks. Which is why they failed to
mention the annual overhaul, frequent valve jobs and dismally short service
life of those marvelous little engines. (Another round? Why not!)

Most Americans are dumber than stumps when it comes to engines and American
aviators are among the dumbest of the breed with the Internet providing daily
evidence of their failing. (Yes, you can check the oil. No, you can't adjust
the valves. If you want to watch, go stand over there.)

It's all about torque and waste heat but to the idiots it's all about
horsepower and top speed.

PEAK output of an engine can be... just about anything. You can see 300hp from
an aircooled "Volkswagen" engine for a few seconds (and note the quotes). But
if you're smart enough not to pee on your shoes you'll pay more attention to
the maximum SUSTAINABLE output. As with all aircooled engines the sustainable
output is a function of the engine's ability to cool itself. But don't get it
confused with the output that gives the greatest interval between overhauls.
That figure is even lower. And it doesn't matter what kind of aircooled engine
we're talking about -- Pratt-Whitney or Weedeater, the laws of thermodynamics
apply.

They say you can't cheat an honest man. The same 'they' also tells us that a
fool and his gold are soon parted. American aviators tend toward the foolish
side of the bell curve when it comes to flying Volkswagens, preyed upon by
slick hustlers chanting peak horsepower figures.

Every fly a Piet? (The two-holer, not the other one.) Didja notice the prop
is mounted to the clutch-end of the Model A's crankshaft? Now go look at the
typical flying VW, with the prop on the pulley-hub, a fragile little protrusion
barely three-quarters of an inch long, less than an inch and a half in
diameter, hollowed out with metric threads (the valley comes to a point...
makes a dandy stress-riser) and the circumference notched with a Woodruff
keyway that comes to within sixty thou of those nice, pointy threads.

Look at all the VW's you want. Note the fantastic schemes -- fantastic and
EXPENSIVE schemes -- that are used to try and put a band-aid on a case of
terminal cancer, in engineering terms.

The late Steve Wittman knew his onions when it came to engines. He put the
prop on the other end of the crankshaft and blew away the competition. (We got
on like a house afire when we discovered we both built our engines
ass-backwards :-)

Why'd they even do it to begin with? Because with a 20hp 985cc engine (ie, out
of the original Kublewagen; it didn't get the Big Engine until 1943 and if the
early ones never came back to the factory for overhaul, they never got one
installed) you could bolt the engine directly to the firewall and do away with
the engine mount. And the pulley hub was good for about 200 hours if the load
was less than 25hp... no problem when you could replace the crankshaft for $17
every winter... while the Gentleman Aviators were up at the club house getting
sloshed.

Remember N7EZ and its "68hp" VW engine? I asked Burt where he was going to
find such a thing. From my competitor, of course :-)

Truth is, from 1300 on up, all Type I's use the same heads -- same amount of
fin area. And most of the after-market 'racing' heads have even LESS. (Go
measure it; work it out for yourself. Increase the thickness of the casting
REDUCES the available fin area.) Hottest part of a VW engine is around the
exhaust ports. VW engineers did a superb job of controlling the air PRESSURE
within the plenum to force the maximum amount of air down thru the finned areas
adjacent to exhaust stacks.

Aluminum is a 'white-short' metal. All metals are mallable. Heat most metals,
they go through a plastic stage before they melt. But heat aluminum or
magnesium, before it melts it will go through a fragmiable stage during which
any stress will cause it to fracture. ( Foundrymen call that 'white shortness'
and treat their aluminum castings with care as they cool.)

The fact aluminim is fragmiable at elevated temperatures is why we pay so much
attention to CHT on our aircraft engines. And VW's. And Porsches. And
anything else with AIR-COOLED aluminum heads. (Liquid cooled engines are
another planet. Don't even think of trying to transfer your zillion years of
Ford V8 experience to a VW unless you've got a death wish or get off on looking
foolish.) 450 degrees on the Fahrenheit scale is the lower edge of the plastic
range for aluminum. Being slightly denser, forgings can go a little higher but
castings -- such as the VW head -- may be at risk at even LOWER temps -- it all
depends on the alloy and where you monitor the temperature. The hottest part
of the head is the area around the exhaust stack (which is where VW measures
CHT on their fuel injected engines). The classic ring-type thermocouple under
a spark plug can read just about anything, depending on how much air you blow
on it.

As every parent knows, where you stick the thermometer has a lot to do with the
reading. One of the best jokes in aviaition is all the guys flying around with
their oil temp sensor screwed into the wall of the CRANKCASE. As you can
guess, they never have problems with high oil temps :-) (Volkswagen inserts
the OT sensor in the flow of oil entering the oil pump. Readings at that point
typically run about 100 degrees higher than at the dip stick and as much as 150
more than the sump plate or crankcase.)

Keeping the oil cool in your flying VW is a no-brainer. Just treat it like an
aircraft engine. The cooling arrangement used in CAR engines is of the by-pass
type, meaning things have to get pretty hot before any cooling takes place.
With airplanes you pre-configure the cooling system prior to take-off, in
anticipation of maximum need. Once you get up to altitude you get things back
into the green then close the shutters enough to keep it there. Alas, trying
to use the car cooling system in a VW powered airplane is almost universal and
like putting the prop on the pulley hub, equally dumb.

Big-Bore Storker! Wow! Over 150hp @ 5000 rpm for an all-up weight of less
than 200 pounds.

And as useless as tits on a boar, with regard to airplanes.

Because it uses the same heads, that's why. Same fin area. Same maximum
cooling co-efficient. Same maximum SUSTAINABLE OUTPUT... which is about 45hp,
depending on the weather.

Sure, more cubes will get you out of the weeds faster. But you'd damn well be
flying the gauges AND have designed your cooling system accordingly. Because
no matter what the displacement or peak output, your life literally depends on
keeping the CHT within bounds.

So it runs your dune buggy all day at 4000 rpm. What's your manifold pressure?
How often do you do the valves. The same rpm does NOT mean the same power
output, no matter what they taught you in Auto Shop. The closest match between
a VW engine in a vehicle and one in a plane is to load your VW bus with about
two tons of cargo then go climb the steepest hill you can manage. Forever.

Time has taught me it's pretty much a waste of time to try and explain flying
Volkswagens. People want to be deluded and their wants are catered to by a
host of marvelously successful hucksters. Those who discover they've been lied
to -- and survive -- tend to be a tad shy. No one likes to look foolish;
obviously the fault must lay with the engine rather than in themselves.

VW is a car engine. You can convert it to a reliable, durable aircraft engine,
typically better in output and durability than say an A40-4. But the odd thing
is that so few people do. Instead, they turn it into a dune buggy engine and
screw a fan on the pulley hub. Go figger.

-R.S.Hoover

G. A. Loeffler
March 2nd 04, 07:13 PM
"RU ok" > wrote in message
> OK...
> For the sake of discussion, consider the amateurs eliminated.
>
> Who is left with a reputation of converting and selling hundreds
> of VW engines that yield PROVEN equal reliability, performance
> at a significantly lower overall LONG TERM cost than suitably
> rebuilt aircraft engines... like the 65 hp Continental, for example?

Great Plains maybe?
or Revmaster ?
Aero Vee comes to mind...

have a look here for German requirements to automotive engine conversions

http://www.loeff.de/eng-test.html

-loef (www.loeff.de)

Richard Lamb
March 3rd 04, 12:55 AM
May I (respectfully) request that you go back and read MY posts
on on MY big bore stroker?

Also Bob, the word is fraNGiable - from the Latin frangere - to break.

Richard (just another dumb American)

Veeduber
March 3rd 04, 02:27 AM
>Also Bob, the word is fraNGiable - from the Latin frangere - to break.
>

>Richard (just another dumb American)

I prefer fragmiable. More descriptive. As in, to frag -- from the two tours
in I Corp -- to blow that mutha AWAY.

As for the dumb part... Hey bro, I wasn't the only guy to give you a heads-up
on your first engine -- the blocked cooling channels and that power-robbing
exhaust system.

After leading the horse to water the rest of the job is up to the horse, hoss.

-R.S.Hoover

Jerry Springer
March 3rd 04, 02:35 AM
Leon McAtee wrote:
> RU ok > wrote in message >...
>

>>Who is left with a reputation of converting and selling hundreds
>>of VW engines that yield PROVEN equal reliability, performance
>>at a significantly lower overall LONG TERM cost than suitably
>>rebuilt aircraft engines... like the 65 hp Continental, for example?
>>
>>Nobody, if you 'axe' me.
>

> And how many hundreds of Lycosaurs were around in, say, 1930 that
> would yield PROVEN reliable performance? You have to start somewhere
> if you want to improve things.

> Leon McAtee.................looking for the end of the rainbow

VWs have been used in aircraft for years, so your "start somewhere" comment
does not seem to apply here because VWs are no better now than they were
in the early 70's when I used them in an aircraft.

Jerry

Richard Lamb
March 3rd 04, 03:56 AM
Richard Lamb wrote:

> May I (respectfully) request that you go back and read MY posts
> on on MY big bore stroker?
>
> Also Bob, the word is fraNGiable - from the Latin frangere - to break.
>
> Richard (just another dumb American)

I hate when that happens...

Frangi(no freakin A)ble

Richard Lamb
March 3rd 04, 04:11 AM
Veeduber wrote:

> >Also Bob, the word is fraNGiable - from the Latin frangere - to break.
> >

> >Richard (just another dumb American)

> I prefer fragmiable. More descriptive. As in, to frag -- from the two tours
> in I Corp -- to blow that mutha AWAY.
>
> As for the dumb part... Hey bro, I wasn't the only guy to give you a heads-up
> on your first engine -- the blocked cooling channels and that power-robbing
> exhaust system.

Yep. And that'e exactly what happened too. Both heads cracked about
the same time.
Just after the first turn into the pattern (so yes, on take off).
It just went blaaaaaagghhghhhh.

> After leading the horse to water the rest of the job is up to the horse, hoss.
>
> -R.S.Hoover

My Grandad used to day that too.

Must be true.

I don't believe in two seat VW powered planes.

Even with the prop on the "right" end, it just doesn't have the
displacement,
nor the cooling capacity to sustain more than 40 horse - at sea level.

Pity.

Well, so let's see what the alternatives are?

Rotax 503?

Richard Lamb
March 3rd 04, 04:17 AM
Jerry Springer wrote:

> Leon McAtee wrote:
> > RU ok > wrote in message >...
> >

> >>Who is left with a reputation of converting and selling hundreds
> >>of VW engines that yield PROVEN equal reliability, performance
> >>at a significantly lower overall LONG TERM cost than suitably
> >>rebuilt aircraft engines... like the 65 hp Continental, for example?
> >>
> >>Nobody, if you 'axe' me.
> >

> > And how many hundreds of Lycosaurs were around in, say, 1930 that
> > would yield PROVEN reliable performance? You have to start somewhere
> > if you want to improve things.
>
> > Leon McAtee.................looking for the end of the rainbow
>
> VWs have been used in aircraft for years, so your "start somewhere" comment
> does not seem to apply here because VWs are no better now than they were
> in the early 70's when I used them in an aircraft.
>
> Jerry

Da. Same engine, just new newbies?

Veeduber
March 3rd 04, 08:02 AM

>Yep. And that'e exactly what happened too. Both heads cracked about
>the same time.
>Just after the first turn into the pattern (so yes, on take off).
>It just went blaaaaaagghhghhhh.

BT, DT, got the T-shirt. Expensive education: I'm glad you survived the
lesson.

>I don't believe in two seat VW powered planes.

Like the folks who don't believe the world is round, a lot depends on your
perspective. Lotsa dwarfs out there eager to 'prove' their 2-seater flys jus'
fine :-)

(Cub flew with the A40. Sorta :-)

Light & clean, give it enough wing, two of you can get there behind a big VW.
Not 'big' because you get any more out of it, but Big because lots of
displacement and a chugger cam allows your torque to come in at a speed that
lets you swing a really efficient stick.

Not fast, of course. Hold their feet to the fire, the fast VW crowd will tell
you tales of 10 hours (!!) between valve jobs and pounding out the center-main
in less than 200 hours. Not a problem if you got deep pockets but they tend to
ignore that point when talking to the newbies. Or trying to sell you something
:-)

Engines live according to a rigid set of rules, most of which were defined more
than eighty years ago. Engines are also incapable of lying.

Most folks never quite Get It when it comes to things like thermal limitations,
specific fuel consumption, volumetric efficiency and so on. All they want to
hear is Horsepower... and they don't even understand that.

I've seen hucksters stand right there behind the podium and tell the crowd
their 80hp, normally aspirated converted VW engine only burns three gallons per
hour. The crowd always give you lots of angry looks when you walk out of the
tent laughing. They don't realize they've been listening to the best Stand-Up
Comic since Robin Williams. :-)

-R.S.Hoover

Richard Lamb
March 3rd 04, 09:11 AM
Now, on the other hand, Bruce King has over 200 hours on his modified
Hummelbird (Great Plains 1835 - full 4 cylinder)

OVER 1000 landings.

Last week he finally went out and really investigated the low speed
handling.

Deep stalled, the airplane shows a marked dutch roll.
But it isn't extreme, and the airplane shows no divergence in pitch.
Altitude loss depends on power setting.
Power back, deep stalled decending.
Power up, deep stalled climbing?

It sounds like an interesting ride, but he said it was a lot tamer
than he expected. Maybe I'll get to fly it some day after all?!?

His fist long cross country was San Antonio to Sun N Fun last year.

Then, turned around and flew it to Oshkosh.

Cruise is about 107 without fairings and spats.

Climb is 750 fpm plus.

Taking what HE'S learned, he is finishing up his own first
origional design low wing, all metal VW touring airplane.

I got to look it over last week.
It is a very interesting little airplane.
It growed some compared to the HB, but it is not really a HB
knockoff. Note, the _total parts count_ is 1/3 of the HB.

Way more cockpit room (the HB you wear like Speedos).
8 sq ft more wing area ( 76 sq ft total area?)

Here is a fellow who studied all the previous art that he could
on VW aero engined (including V Dubwer homself)
and decided that the 1/2 VW engine on a Hummel wasn't gonna get it.
So he used the whole mill and has been happy as a camper can be.

I'd call it one of the most sucessful VW projects in a long time.

Richard

RU ok
March 3rd 04, 02:43 PM
>> Barnyard BOb - over 50 years of successful flight
>
>Which means exactly "Squat". In the bell curve of life some are going
>to reach this milestone through nothing more than dumb luck. That
>just a simple statistical fact.
>
>Leon McAtee.................looking for the end of the rainbow

HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA.
You really have your head up your 'bell shaped' ass.
No question in my mind.....

If *YOU* survive 50 years of flight --
It will indisputably be because of DUMB LUCK.

You continue to exemplify nothing more than
a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Barnyard BOb --

RU ok
March 3rd 04, 03:20 PM
Richard Lamb > wrote:

>I don't believe in two seat VW powered planes.
>
>Even with the prop on the "right" end, it just doesn't have the
>displacement,
>nor the cooling capacity to sustain more than 40 horse - at sea level.
>
>Pity.
>

>Well, so let's see what the alternatives are?
>
>Rotax 503?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Richard:

I thoroughly enjoy the exchanges between
you and Veeduber concerning VW engines.

What's wrong with me? <g>

Barnyard BOb -- luv my Lycoming

Big John
March 3rd 04, 07:07 PM
R.S.

Was that the 37 HP, single ignition, A-40 in the Taylor E-2 like I
flew?

I and my cigar smoking instructor didn't weigh 200 lbs total and bird
flew pretty good.

Big John

----clip----

(Cub flew with the A40. Sorta :-)

----clip----

R.S.Hoover

Richard Lamb
March 3rd 04, 07:53 PM
RU ok wrote:

> Richard Lamb > wrote:
>
> >I don't believe in two seat VW powered planes.
> >
> >Even with the prop on the "right" end, it just doesn't have the
> >displacement,
> >nor the cooling capacity to sustain more than 40 horse - at sea level.
> >
> >Pity.
> >

> >Well, so let's see what the alternatives are?
> >
> >Rotax 503?
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> Richard:
>
> I thoroughly enjoy the exchanges between
> you and Veeduber concerning VW engines.
>
> What's wrong with me? <g>
>
> Barnyard BOb -- luv my Lycoming

Now THAT'S a leading question!

:)

Richard

Morgans
March 3rd 04, 10:17 PM
"RU ok" > wrote

> HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA.
> You really have your head up your 'bell shaped' ass.
> No question in my mind.....
>
> If *YOU* survive 50 years of flight --
> It will indisputably be because of DUMB LUCK.
>
> You continue to exemplify nothing more than
> a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.
>

> Barnyard BOb --

He He He. I'm even enjoying this one. If it looks like an airplane engine,
it ain't no damn good! <g>

I will be the proud "past owner" of a 72 Beetle, as of 8:30 tonight. Damn
thing ate as much gas as my 350 ci. Chevy, and could not pull its' own way
out of a wet paper bag. I won't even start on reliability.
--
Jim in NC

---

ET
March 3rd 04, 11:18 PM
(Veeduber) wrote in
:

> [...]
> match between a VW engine in a vehicle and one in a plane is to load
> your VW bus with about two tons of cargo then go climb the steepest
> hill you can manage. Forever.
>
> Time has taught me it's pretty much a waste of time to try and explain
> flying Volkswagens. People want to be deluded and their wants are
> catered to by a host of marvelously successful hucksters. Those who
> discover they've been lied to -- and survive -- tend to be a tad shy.
> No one likes to look foolish; obviously the fault must lay with the
> engine rather than in themselves.
>
> VW is a car engine. You can convert it to a reliable, durable
> aircraft engine, typically better in output and durability than say an
> A40-4. But the odd thing is that so few people do. Instead, they
> turn it into a dune buggy engine and screw a fan on the pulley hub.

I'm curious on your take on the AeroVee ???

I have not experience or opinions here, just am contimplating building a
Sonex with the AeroVee engine.

Have they done anything to aleviate any of the issues you've mentioned???

--
ET >:)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams

RU ok
March 3rd 04, 11:18 PM
"Morgans" wrote:

>He He He. I'm even enjoying this one. If it looks like an airplane engine,
>it ain't no damn good! <g>

>I will be the proud "past owner" of a 72 Beetle, as of 8:30 tonight. Damn
>thing ate as much gas as my 350 ci. Chevy, and could not pull its' own way
>out of a wet paper bag. I won't even start on reliability.

Sounds a bit like my '48 Hardly-Go-Davidson murdercycle, too.

Barnyard BOb --

Ghost
March 3rd 04, 11:48 PM
ET wrote:
>> (Veeduber) wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> Flying Volkswagens are a bit like Texas midgets. Everything's bigger
>>> in Texas, right? Even their midgets are six feet tall :-)
>>>
>>> The VW Myth was spawned following WWII by those Gentleman Aviators of
>>> a literary bent who, after winning the Battle of Britian decided to
>>> tell everyone about it via articles in the aviation magazines. Of
>>> course, twelve issues a year, your sea stories start getting a bit
>>> stale the n-th time they're told so they extended their imaginary
>>> expertise to other areas, such those niffty little flying machines
>>> coming out of Europe.
>>> VW is a car engine. You can convert it to a reliable, durable
>>> aircraft engine, typically better in output and durability than say an
>>> A40-4. But the odd thing is that so few people do. Instead, they
>>> turn it into a dune buggy engine and screw a fan on the pulley hub.
>>> Go figger.
>>>
>>> -R.S.Hoover
>>
>> I'm curious on your take on the AeroVee ???
>>
>> I have not experience or opinions here, just am contimplating building a
>> Sonex with the AeroVee engine.
>>
>> Have they done anything to aleviate any of the issues you've mentioned???
>>
>> --
>> ET >:)

Might want to take a look at Del Magsum and his Corvair powered Sonex..
was the way I was headed before having to give it a pass due to health...

http://www.mykitplane.com/Planes/photoGalleryList2.cfm?AlbumID=53

--
Slainte! __________________________
C D Patterson, Langford. BC -

Veeduber
March 4th 04, 02:33 AM

>Was that the 37 HP, single ignition, A-40 in the Taylor E-2 like I
>flew?

Dear John,

That was the engine (although there were something like seven variants) but I
was speaking of the J-2 Cub. That's when they tarted it up with an enclosed
cockpit and all that. The higher turtleback and side windows definitely
improved the cruise & comfort but it added quite a bit of weight. On a hot day
you really didn't want to try it with two full-scale adults and a full tank of
gas.

Continental finally threw out the A40 with its three-bearing design (same as
the VW; that fourth 'main bearing' in the Volkswagen isn't. They added it when
they found the asymmetric load of the blower was wearing out the nose of the
crankcase [it didn't have inserts back then]).

Ed Heath and some others raced behind the A40 and their engine failures were
remarkably similar to the faults suffered by the VW, with the thrust bearing on
the opposite end of the crank from the prop and so forth.

The A50 changed all that. The A50 is the grandfather of the O-200 and was
designed from the ground up to an aircraft powerplant. The A40 started out as
the engine for a railroad service car, with a huge flywheel that served as the
cooling air blower. It did pretty well in those little putt-putts but was
something of a dog as an airplane engine. TBO was 200hrs, by the way, mostly
due to the exposed valves.

-R.S.Hoover

PS -- I never piloted an E2 but I think I flew in one as a kid -- open parasol
type thingee, goggles & all. The fact I was allowed to ride in the FRONT SEAT
really impressed me :-)

Veeduber
March 4th 04, 03:00 AM

>I'm curious on your take on the AeroVee ???
>
>I have not experience or opinions here, just am contimplating building a
>Sonex with the AeroVee engine.
>
>Have they done anything to aleviate any of the issues you've mentioned???

I suggest you read John's comments on the AirVW Group, do a bit of research
into the need for longer rods with stroker cranks and so forth. You may find
the cam data files in the AirVW (files) archive of interest, along with the
recommended break-in procedures for flying Volkswagens and so forth. Also see
the infomercial/article in 'Sport Aviation.' (A truly hilarious read for any
mechanic :-)

Best advice I can offer is to gather all the information you can, verify it
against other sources and then think for yourself.

-R.S.Hoover

Big John
March 4th 04, 03:16 AM
R.S.

Single ignition. You ran up on R/W as you started to roll. If you got
the spec'd rpm (forget figure) then all four were firing and you
continued.

Bird had a tail skid (no tail wheel or brakes). To turn sharp you put
full forward stick and full rudder the way you wanted to turn and then
burped the engine. Prop wash picked the tail up and also turned the
bird by hitting on the rudder.

T/O. Things sure were simple in those days <G>

I was Air Advisor to the Maine Guard in Bangor in the early 60's and
outside of town an old codger had an E-2 tied up to the ceiling in his
barn. I dickered with him until I got shipped to Panama with no
success. He's probably dead now and his kids have sold or junked it?
:o(

Big John

On 04 Mar 2004 02:33:01 GMT, (Veeduber) wrote:
[i]

>>Was that the 37 HP, single ignition, A-40 in the Taylor E-2 like I
>>flew?

>Dear John,
>
>That was the engine (although there were something like seven variants) but I
>was speaking of the J-2 Cub. That's when they tarted it up with an enclosed
>cockpit and all that. The higher turtleback and side windows definitely
>improved the cruise & comfort but it added quite a bit of weight. On a hot day
>you really didn't want to try it with two full-scale adults and a full tank of
>gas.
>
>Continental finally threw out the A40 with its three-bearing design (same as
>the VW; that fourth 'main bearing' in the Volkswagen isn't. They added it when
>they found the asymmetric load of the blower was wearing out the nose of the
>crankcase ).
>
>Ed Heath and some others raced behind the A40 and their engine failures were
>remarkably similar to the faults suffered by the VW, with the thrust bearing on
>the opposite end of the crank from the prop and so forth.
>
>The A50 changed all that. The A50 is the grandfather of the O-200 and was
>designed from the ground up to an aircraft powerplant. The A40 started out as
>the engine for a railroad service car, with a huge flywheel that served as the
>cooling air blower. It did pretty well in those little putt-putts but was
>something of a dog as an airplane engine. TBO was 200hrs, by the way, mostly
>due to the exposed valves.
>
>-R.S.Hoover
>
>PS -- I never piloted an E2 but I think I flew in one as a kid -- open parasol
>type thingee, goggles & all. The fact I was allowed to ride in the FRONT SEAT
>really impressed me :-)

ET
March 4th 04, 06:10 AM
(Veeduber) wrote in
:

>>I'm curious on your take on the AeroVee ???
>>
>>I have not experience or opinions here, just am contimplating building
>>a Sonex with the AeroVee engine.
>>
>>Have they done anything to aleviate any of the issues you've
>>mentioned???

> :-)
>
> I suggest you read John's comments on the AirVW Group, do a bit of
> research into the need for longer rods with stroker cranks and so
> forth. You may find the cam data files in the AirVW (files) archive
> of interest, along with the recommended break-in procedures for flying
> Volkswagens and so forth. Also see the infomercial/article in 'Sport
> Aviation.' (A truly hilarious read for any mechanic :-)
>
> Best advice I can offer is to gather all the information you can,
> verify it against other sources and then think for yourself.
>
> -R.S.Hoover

So he kicked you off the list and deleted your messages eh?

Interesting reading so far..... thanks for keeping me up reading for 2
hrs of sleep time and counting <grin>

--
ET >:)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams

ET
March 4th 04, 06:36 AM
ET > wrote in news:Xns94A217B59D7EEviltwigcom@
140.99.99.130:

> (Veeduber) wrote in
> :
>

>>>I'm curious on your take on the AeroVee ???
>>>
>>>I have not experience or opinions here, just am contimplating building
>>>a Sonex with the AeroVee engine.
>>>
>>>Have they done anything to aleviate any of the issues you've
>>>mentioned???

>> :-)
>>
>> I suggest you read John's comments on the AirVW Group, do a bit of
>> research into the need for longer rods with stroker cranks and so
>> forth. You may find the cam data files in the AirVW (files) archive
>> of interest, along with the recommended break-in procedures for flying
>> Volkswagens and so forth. Also see the infomercial/article in 'Sport
>> Aviation.' (A truly hilarious read for any mechanic :-)
>>
>> Best advice I can offer is to gather all the information you can,
>> verify it against other sources and then think for yourself.
>>
>> -R.S.Hoover
>
> So he kicked you off the list and deleted your messages eh?
>
> Interesting reading so far..... thanks for keeping me up reading for 2
> hrs of sleep time and counting <grin>

I'll also add, that since I plan to scratch build a sonex, and havnt even
ordered plans yet, Ill have several years of watching to see if aerovees
are falling out of the sky before I have to make an engine decision
<grin>

--
ET >:)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams

Veeduber
March 4th 04, 12:12 PM

>So he kicked you off the list and deleted your messages eh?

As best I can recall I never posted anything to John's list. I only subscribed
because I was invited to do so by one of his customers.

As for reports of Aero-vees falling from the skies, let's hope not. The VW is
an inherently robust design. Even when assembled from a kit of parts by
someone other than a mechanic, it usually gives lots of warning before any
engine-related failure. That assumes the engine is properly instrumented and
cooled and that the pilot is capable of recognizing what the engine has to say.

I suspect the success of the Aero-vee will hinge more on economics than
aeronautics. The Sonex is a relatively clean design that has demonstrated its
ability to perform equally well with other powerplants. The few that are