PDA

View Full Version : Rear-view camera?

Bob S
December 5th 13, 03:22 AM
Has anyone tried using a rear view camera and display in their glider, similar to the automobile back-up cam/display system? Any comments? Should we or shouldn't we?

December 5th 13, 02:52 PM
On Wednesday, December 4, 2013 9:22:42 PM UTC-6, Bob S wrote:
> Has anyone tried using a rear view camera and display in their glider, similar to the automobile back-up cam/display system? Any comments? Should we or shouldn't we?

As long as you don't make that beeping sound while backing up your glider, I think a rear-view camera would be fine. Keeping an eye on it while thermaling and properly interpreting the picture might be a huge challenge, though. I stick with my PFlarm.
J7

Dan Marotta
December 5th 13, 04:45 PM
Hahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... <giggle, snort, gasp...>

Merry Christmas!

"Bob S" > wrote in message
> Has anyone tried using a rear view camera and display in their glider,
> similar to the automobile back-up cam/display system? Any comments?
> Should we or shouldn't we?

son_of_flubber
December 6th 13, 04:35 AM
On Wednesday, December 4, 2013 10:22:42 PM UTC-5, Bob S wrote:
> a rear view camera and display in their glider...

I think I should be too busy for a rear view camera to be more than a distraction, but there is a lot of research in the UAV community to use robotic vision for passive collision avoidance. Current research systems are very lightweight, compact and use very little power. If you eventually put one of those systems in your glider, it will be like having R2D2 in the backseat spotting boogies.

December 6th 13, 05:42 PM
Some of us have used a convex mirror mounted on or near the top of the panel for this purpose. It works pretty well.

December 6th 13, 06:58 PM
On Thursday, December 5, 2013 11:35:00 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:

> it will be like having R2D2 in the backseat spotting boogies.

I would more concerned with bogeys, although boogies have the potential to be rather distracting... though generally not too dangerous.

Peter Higgs
December 7th 13, 04:20 PM
I haven't been able to find reverse with the gear stick...

Bob Whelan[_3_]
December 7th 13, 04:57 PM
On 12/7/2013 9:20 AM, Peter Higgs wrote:
> I haven't been able to find reverse with the gear stick...

boson trouble?

Vaughn
December 7th 13, 06:46 PM
On 12/7/2013 11:20 AM, Peter Higgs wrote:
> I haven't been able to find reverse with the gear stick...

How about your turn signals?

Vaughn

bumper[_4_]
December 8th 13, 12:57 AM
On Wednesday, December 4, 2013 7:22:42 PM UTC-8, Bob S wrote:
> Has anyone tried using a rear view camera and display in their glider, similar to the automobile back-up cam/display system? Any comments? Should we or shouldn't we?

Not the same as soaring . . . I have a rear view mirror in my Husky for towing, mounted high and looking back through the top skylight. When not dragging things on a rope, it's handy to keep an eye on my golden retriever in the back seat (or wife when she's there). Unless flying formation with a Super Cub (they are slow enough they're always behind a Husky), I almost never look at the mirror unless for the aforementioned activities. I have PFlarm in both Husky and glider, agree with JJ, better'n a camera. Besides, bright back lit displays take a fair amount of power.

bumper

Morgan[_2_]
December 11th 13, 04:15 PM
When buddy flying or team flying, the PowerFlarm is really valuable in reducing cockpit workload and radio chatter. A quick glance shows your buddy that might be trailing you out of sight. No radio calls required and immediate distance and altitude information can be gleaned.

I can't imagine using a backup camera for a number of reasons.
1) typically very wide angle lens. Imagine a GoPro pointed backwards. You can't even see a glider at 100yds on a small screen.
2) As already brought up, having to watch the screen and determine an action based on what you see is a lot of cycles when you need to be focused outside the cockpit and in front of you.
3) Short of telling the person on the radio to back-off, it doesn't really provide much actionable information. So you are just adding to the workload without a discernible benefit.

One benefit might be video evidence of someone that is rude in thermals and sits right behind you in your blind spot, but I doubt it would change their behavior. We've all flown with that guy. I'm not sure how he has the time to get around to so many clubs and operations around the world though. Like evil thermal Santa.

Bumper, I would like to see pictures of the Golden Retriever in the Husky. I'm imagining one happy dog, goin' for a flight.

Morgan

On Saturday, December 7, 2013 4:57:33 PM UTC-8, bumper wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 4, 2013 7:22:42 PM UTC-8, Bob S wrote:
>
> > Has anyone tried using a rear view camera and display in their glider, similar to the automobile back-up cam/display system? Any comments? Should we or shouldn't we?
>

> Not the same as soaring . . . I have a rear view mirror in my Husky for towing, mounted high and looking back through the top skylight. When not dragging things on a rope, it's handy to keep an eye on my golden retriever in the back seat (or wife when she's there). Unless flying formation with a Super Cub (they are slow enough they're always behind a Husky), I almost never look at the mirror unless for the aforementioned activities. I have PFlarm in both Husky and glider, agree with JJ, better'n a camera. Besides, bright back lit displays take a fair amount of power.
>

> bumper

Google