PDA

View Full Version : FS: Eccentric Assembly Tools

SteveB_Z5
December 8th 13, 11:17 PM
Do you have trouble getting your wings in place that last little bit to
insert the wing pins? Then this is the tool you need. Nearly 100 tools have been supplied for 25 different glider models from 9 different manufacturers. Everything from wood to self-launchers. $80 in the US and $95 outside the US. Shipping included.
See www.z5mfg.com

Eurofighter
December 11th 13, 06:35 AM
Very useful tool!

son_of_flubber
December 11th 13, 05:07 PM
On Sunday, December 8, 2013 6:17:16 PM UTC-5, SteveB_Z5 wrote:
>Nearly 100 tools have been supplied for 25 different glider models from 9 different manufacturers.

I can see how this tool would be very useful, but with all this experience have you seen any elongation of the bushing in the spar? If I understand how this works, it applies a concentrated load where the smaller diameter of the tool contacts the larger diameter of the bushing. The tool is hard and the bushing is relatively soft? How is this tool not a reamer? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reamer

Soartech
December 11th 13, 05:47 PM
The tool is hard and the bushing is relatively soft? How is this tool not a reamer?

The tool is made of a metal which is much softer than the sintered bronze bushings used commonly in spar pin holes.
I have one and it helps some. I am still rather ****ed that I usually have to ask for some big guy with huge arms to put the pins in. There must be some secret to this step.

December 11th 13, 06:12 PM
El lunes, 9 de diciembre de 2013 00:17:16 UTC+1, SteveB_Z5 escribió:
> Do you have trouble getting your wings in place that last little bit to
>
> insert the wing pins? Then this is the tool you need. Nearly 100 tools have been supplied for 25 different glider models from 9 different manufacturers. Everything from wood to self-launchers. $80 in the US and $95 outside the US. Shipping included.
>
> See www.z5mfg.com

December 11th 13, 06:12 PM
El lunes, 9 de diciembre de 2013 00:17:16 UTC+1, SteveB_Z5 escribió:
> Do you have trouble getting your wings in place that last little bit to
>
> insert the wing pins? Then this is the tool you need. Nearly 100 tools have been supplied for 25 different glider models from 9 different manufacturers. Everything from wood to self-launchers. $80 in the US and $95 outside the US. Shipping included.
>
> See www.z5mfg.com

December 11th 13, 06:30 PM
On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 9:07:46 AM UTC-8, son_of_flubber wrote:
> On Sunday, December 8, 2013 6:17:16 PM UTC-5, SteveB_Z5 wrote:
>
> >Nearly 100 tools have been supplied for 25 different glider models from 9 different manufacturers.
>

> I can see how this tool would be very useful, but with all this experience have you seen any elongation of the bushing in the spar? If I understand how this works, it applies a concentrated load where the smaller diameter of the tool contacts the larger diameter of the bushing. The tool is hard and the bushing is relatively soft? How is this tool not a reamer? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reamer

The one I use is machined out of a hard plastic - I think nylon. Works great.

9B

Dave Nadler
December 11th 13, 07:27 PM
On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 12:47:30 PM UTC-5, Soartech wrote:
> The tool is made of a metal

Say WHAT ? 4 different vendors I know all use plastic.

> I usually have to ask for some big guy with huge arms to put
> the pins in. There must be some secret to this step.

It's very, very technical:
Line up the wings prior trying to insert the pins.
Look inside the holes and make sure they are lined up !
Adjust by height of fuselage and/or wings.
BEFORE trying to jam in the pins.

These tools are only useful if the wings are close
to properly aligned, and especially to pull the wings
together the last little bit.

Hope that helps,
Best Regards, Dave

PS: Use of incorrect grease (or none, or dirt) will
also make inserting the pins extremely hard...

son_of_flubber
December 11th 13, 10:44 PM
On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 2:27:05 PM UTC-5, Dave Nadler wrote:

> > The tool is made of a metal?
>

> Say WHAT ? 4 different vendors I know all use plastic.

So the plastic deforms to the shape of the bushing and spreads out the load.

SteveB_Z5
December 12th 13, 02:53 AM
In a past thread about these tools I remember someone saying they had a metal tool. The tools I make are made of Delrin plastic.
From McMaster-Carr:
Wear- and Water-Resistant
Delrin® Acetal Resin

Considered the workhorse of plastics, Delrin® acetal resin combines moisture resistance and a slippery, wear-resistant surface with an ability to hold tight tolerances. Often used for gears, bushings, impellers, and other parts that require its strength and rigidity.
I have used one of these tools in well over 250 assemblies of my DG-200 with no sign of wear in the bushings.
Steve Z5
http://www.z5mfg.com/
On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 2:44:13 PM UTC-8, son_of_flubber wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 2:27:05 PM UTC-5, Dave Nadler wrote:
>

> > > The tool is made of a metal?
>

> > Say WHAT ? 4 different vendors I know all use plastic.
>

> So the plastic deforms to the shape of the bushing and spreads out the load.

Soartech
December 12th 13, 06:01 PM
> PS: Use of incorrect grease (or none, or dirt) will
>
> also make inserting the pins extremely hard...

OK, I stand corrected. I thought mine was aluminum. It must be a very hard plastic.
Dave, what is the "correct" type of grease to use?

Steve Leonard[_2_]
December 12th 13, 08:02 PM
On Thursday, December 12, 2013 12:01:11 PM UTC-6, Soartech wrote:
> > Dave, what is the "correct" type of grease to use?

Not Dave, but "clean" grease is the correct type to use. :-)

Opinions vary. Some sort of white lithium grease it probably best. I have used just plain vaseline, and have also seen it act more like glue than grease when trying to assemble a plane on a cold day. The guy I got one plane from swore that STP was the best wing pin lube. Yes, the stuff that Richard Petty use to push.

Steve Leonard

JS
December 12th 13, 09:00 PM
Yes, some snow outside.
Look at INOX MX4 "Lanox" lanolin lubricant.
http://www.inoxmx.com/inox/mx4-lubricant/
Your local Harley shop may carry INOX products.
Or as suggested white lithium, available everywhere.
Jim

December 12th 13, 09:18 PM
"Correct" grease? So far I've only dealt with one glider that is specific about what to use. The manual for my club's L-33 has a spec that crosses over to a MIL-G number that is equal to Aeroshell Grease No.6.

My ASW-15 manual just says "use a non cold coagulating grease." I've been using Aeroshell Grease No.22. They work well but 22 and 6 are a lot harder to clean up if you get them on your clothes than ordinary white lithium!

Papa3[_2_]
December 12th 13, 10:03 PM
Modern synthetics are very temperature stable and (for me) much less messy than traditional products. Super Lube was recommended to me by a farmer I "visited" years ago. They know machinery!

http://www.grainger.com/product/SUPER-LUBE-Synthetic-Multi-Purpose-Grease-WP104678

son_of_flubber
December 12th 13, 11:40 PM
On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 12:47:30 PM UTC-5, Soartech wrote:
>I am still rather ****ed that I usually have to ask for some big guy with huge arms to put the pins in.

Figure out what movements the pin insertion requires and design some specific exercises with dumbbells and rubber bands that specifically mimic those movements. I had difficulty manipulating my horizontal stabilizer above my head, but some simple exercises with dumbbells fixed that(my glider has an unusually large stabilizer that catches the wind).

Dave Nadler
December 13th 13, 12:24 AM
On Thursday, December 12, 2013 3:02:28 PM UTC-5, Steve Leonard wrote:
> On Thursday, December 12, 2013 12:01:11 PM UTC-6, Soartech wrote:
> > > Dave, what is the "correct" type of grease to use?
>
> Opinions vary.

Of course, this is RAS ;-)

> Some sort of white lithium grease it probably best.

I used to use white lithium...
Advantage: really easy to see if its clean.
Disadvantage: less "slippery" than some other greases,
does tend to cake up.

> I have used just plain vaseline, and have also seen it act
> more like glue than grease...

Right, not recommended.

I'm not sure what I'm using now: Lange provides good grease
in a big syringe in the pouch that holds the pins. It lasted
for assemblies for 900 hours of flying, then they gave me a new
syringe. I'll make sure its provided to you with your new Antares.

The synthetics like Superlube are really good.

See ya, Dave "YO electric"

bumper[_4_]
December 13th 13, 06:42 PM
When I bought my current glider is '03, I bought Spindleberger's black Delrin eccentric tool offered as an option. It had a steel pin reinforcement pressed in concentric with the small end.

I "copied" his design with some "bumper improvements", and sold his :c)

Improvements include:

Small dimple drilled in handle end and filled with white paint to indicate position of small eccentric pin. Useful in determining which way recalcitrant hole needs to move.

3 "stacked" through-holes in handle end, drilled 120* from each other (thus offering 6 holes spaced 60* apart for steel handle to insert.

Handle end bent at 30* to offer a total of 12 potential "positions" for handle in tight quarters. (in use, it's rare to use the handle at all . . . no need as the handle end with the cross drilled holes provides plenty of grip to turn the tool by hand. Knurling the handle end would do just as well)

Of the several things I make and sell for gliders, the eccentric tool isn't among them as it wasn't my idea - - though doubtless any patents would have long since expired.

I'm among the Super Lube grease crowd. It's especially good in cold weather..

bumper

Soartech
December 16th 13, 06:30 PM
Thanks. I've been using Permatex white lithium grease. Back to the gym this winter.

Google