PDA

View Full Version : Using an iPad mini for soaring stuff

Eric Greenwell[_4_]
December 23rd 13, 05:54 PM
I decided traveling with a tablet computer in a touring motorglider
would be easier than lugging around my 6+ pound Windows laptop, so I
took advantage of a good deal on an iPad mini. I thought it's wealth of
aviation apps, including soaring apps like iGlide, and others was a plus.

It's a lovely device, visible in sunlight, but I've discovered Apple has
built a rather wide moat around the castle that keeps out almost
anything that doesn't say "Apple" on it. It's very frustrating, because
these are things that are trivial with my Windows laptop:

- Getting my ClearNav IGC files off the SD card or USB stick and sending
them to the OLC, or to anyone else.

- Viewing flight files

- Downloading an update to ClearNav, PowerFlarm, etc and put it on the
SD/USB devices.

- Modifying my waypoint files (CUP format) and placing them on SC/USB

I'm hoping someone has easy answers for these operations, or I will have
to consider options other than the iPad, which could include a smaller,
lighter Windows laptop (or netbook) or Android tablet.

email me)

Dale Watkins
December 23rd 13, 06:22 PM
On Monday, December 23, 2013 11:54:33 AM UTC-6, Eric Greenwell wrote:
> I decided traveling with a tablet computer in a touring motorglider
>
> would be easier than lugging around my 6+ pound Windows laptop, so I
>
> took advantage of a good deal on an iPad mini. I thought it's wealth of
>
> aviation apps, including soaring apps like iGlide, and others was a plus.
>

> It's a lovely device, visible in sunlight, but I've discovered Apple has
>
> built a rather wide moat around the castle that keeps out almost
>
> anything that doesn't say "Apple" on it. It's very frustrating, because
>
> these are things that are trivial with my Windows laptop:
>

> - Getting my ClearNav IGC files off the SD card or USB stick and sending
>
> them to the OLC, or to anyone else.
>

> - Viewing flight files
>

> - Downloading an update to ClearNav, PowerFlarm, etc and put it on the
>
> SD/USB devices.
>

> - Modifying my waypoint files (CUP format) and placing them on SC/USB
>

> I'm hoping someone has easy answers for these operations, or I will have
>
> to consider options other than the iPad, which could include a smaller,
>
> lighter Windows laptop (or netbook) or Android tablet.
>

> --
>
> Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to
>
> email

But this Apple is virus free ! How do you like the Phoenix?

Dale "ZEN"

Eric Greenwell[_4_]
December 23rd 13, 07:56 PM
Dale Watkins wrote, On 12/23/2013 10:22 AM:
> On Monday, December 23, 2013 11:54:33 AM UTC-6, Eric Greenwell wrote:

>> I'm hoping someone has easy answers for these operations, or I will have
>> to consider options other than the iPad, which could include a smaller,
>> lighter Windows laptop (or netbook) or Android tablet.
>>

> But this Apple is virus free ! How do you like the Phoenix?
>
> Dale "ZEN"

At this point, I'd take the virus risk to be able to do something!
Almost everything I'm accustomed to doing is harder, and it's because
Apple abhors any file sharing except pictures, and doesn't use the most
basic memory devices in the world - SD cards and USB sticks. I'm still
blown away by this. I've even contacted Naviter and ClearNav about
getting flights into the SeeYou iPad app, and neither had a solution.

Don't have the Phoenix yet, but it's supposed to ship Dec 31, and arrive
in FL a couple weeks later. Jim Lee (the dealer) will have the glass
panel and soaring instruments installed, then register and test fly it,
so it's completely ready to fly away when I arrive. I will take the
included flight and maintenance training from him before heading West;
realistically, it will likely be mid-February before I'm on my way home
to Washington State.

email me)

Papa3[_2_]
December 23rd 13, 08:08 PM
The good news is that a slightly used iPad mini should be fairly easy to sell on eBay without taking too much of a bath.

But seriously, I also find all things Apple incredibly frustrating if you want to do anything at all outside the "norm" as defined by Steve Jobs (RIP). So, how about a Nexus 7? While Google Play doesn't yet have the same number of aviation apps, it's only a matter of time (what with Samsung and other big brands behind the platform). The Nexus supports micro USB, so you'd need an adapter cable to interface your USB stick between the ClearNav and the Nexus.

http://www.gizmag.com/tablet-comparison-2013/29708/

P3

On Monday, December 23, 2013 12:54:33 PM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:
> I decided traveling with a tablet computer in a touring motorglider
>
> would be easier than lugging around my 6+ pound Windows laptop, so I
>
> took advantage of a good deal on an iPad mini. I thought it's wealth of
>
> aviation apps, including soaring apps like iGlide, and others was a plus.
>

> It's a lovely device, visible in sunlight, but I've discovered Apple has
>
> built a rather wide moat around the castle that keeps out almost
>
> anything that doesn't say "Apple" on it. It's very frustrating, because
>
> these are things that are trivial with my Windows laptop:
>

> - Getting my ClearNav IGC files off the SD card or USB stick and sending
>
> them to the OLC, or to anyone else.
>

> - Viewing flight files
>

> - Downloading an update to ClearNav, PowerFlarm, etc and put it on the
>
> SD/USB devices.
>

> - Modifying my waypoint files (CUP format) and placing them on SC/USB
>

> I'm hoping someone has easy answers for these operations, or I will have
>
> to consider options other than the iPad, which could include a smaller,
>
> lighter Windows laptop (or netbook) or Android tablet.
>

> --
>
> Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to
>
> email me)

December 23rd 13, 10:57 PM
On Monday, December 23, 2013 2:08:50 PM UTC-6, Papa3 wrote:
> The good news is that a slightly used iPad mini should be fairly easy to sell on eBay without taking too much of a bath.
>

> But seriously, I also find all things Apple incredibly frustrating if you want to do anything at all outside the "norm" as defined by Steve Jobs (RIP). So, how about a Nexus 7? While Google Play doesn't yet have the same number of aviation apps, it's only a matter of time (what with Samsung and other big brands behind the platform). The Nexus supports micro USB, so you'd need an adapter cable to interface your USB stick between the ClearNav and the Nexus.
>

> http://www.gizmag.com/tablet-comparison-2013/29708/
>

> P3
>

> On Monday, December 23, 2013 12:54:33 PM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:
>
> > I decided traveling with a tablet computer in a touring motorglider
>

> > would be easier than lugging around my 6+ pound Windows laptop, so I
>

> > took advantage of a good deal on an iPad mini. I thought it's wealth of
>

> > aviation apps, including soaring apps like iGlide, and others was a plus.
>

> > It's a lovely device, visible in sunlight, but I've discovered Apple has
>

> > built a rather wide moat around the castle that keeps out almost
>

> > anything that doesn't say "Apple" on it. It's very frustrating, because
>

> > these are things that are trivial with my Windows laptop:
>

> > - Getting my ClearNav IGC files off the SD card or USB stick and sending
>

> > them to the OLC, or to anyone else.
>

> > - Viewing flight files
>

> > - Downloading an update to ClearNav, PowerFlarm, etc and put it on the
>

> > SD/USB devices.
>

> > - Modifying my waypoint files (CUP format) and placing them on SC/USB
>

> > I'm hoping someone has easy answers for these operations, or I will have
>

> > to consider options other than the iPad, which could include a smaller,
>

> > lighter Windows laptop (or netbook) or Android tablet.
>

> > --
>

> > Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to
>

> > email me)

Pappi is right, I love my Nexus 7, fantastic screen, fast and light. Would look good on that Phoenix panel, actually.

Andrew[_13_]
December 24th 13, 03:23 AM
Surely the solution is for Soaring companies to write apps for the
IPad. Foreflight is an example of what is possible on the iPad. The
controlled universe of Apple is very attractive, compared to the
chaos of Microsoft.

Greenwell wrote:
> [...]
>> > lighter Windows laptop (or netbook) or Android tablet.
>>=20
>> >=20
>>=20
>> >=20
>>=20
>> >=20
>>=20
>> > --=20
>>=20
>> >=20
>>=20
>> > Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to
".us" to=20
>>=20
>> >=20
>>=20
>> > email me)
>
>Pappi is right, I love my Nexus 7, fantastic screen, fast and light.
>Would=
> look good on that Phoenix panel, actually.

December 24th 13, 03:43 AM
Andrew wrote, On 12/23/2013 7:23 PM:
> Surely the solution is for Soaring companies to write apps for the
> IPad. Foreflight is an example of what is possible on the iPad. The
> controlled universe of Apple is very attractive, compared to the
> chaos of Microsoft.

>> Pappi is right, I love my Nexus 7, fantastic screen, fast and light.
>> Would=
>> look good on that Phoenix panel, actually.

The iPad apps are great! That was one reason I decided to get an iPad;
that, and I knew it had decent visibility in a cockpit with a bubble
canopy.

The problem I ran into is three of the instruments in my new glider
depend on that "chaos" to be updated, waypoints added, and to retrieve
flight logs, engine logs, and diagnostics, using an SD card or USB
stick. I have not found a way to do that with the iPad, but any MS
Windows computer out there can do that right out of the box! Ditto for
some of the Android tablets.

There is nothing "attractive" about the situation to me. The iPad might
as well be a brick for my soaring purposes. It's a gorgeous device, but
it has a very deep moat around it that limits what it can do. I'm still
hopeful that someone knows how to do this, but it it can't be solved,
I'll have at least one iPad for sale.

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl

Dale Watkins
December 24th 13, 03:06 PM
Actually I have a Nexus 7 - only down fall is cracking the screen - and love using XCSOAR paired to my Nano. For business I would prefer the ipad (should sell ok on the open market)but for soaring the Nexus 7 seven wins hands down.

Marry Christmas all and be safe.

Dale

Eric Greenwell[_4_]
December 24th 13, 04:38 PM
Dale Watkins wrote, On 12/24/2013 7:06 AM:
> Actually I have a Nexus 7 - only down fall is cracking the screen -
> and love using XCSOAR paired to my Nano. For business I would prefer
> the ipad (should sell ok on the open market)but for soaring the Nexus
> 7 seven wins hands down.

A major use for me is using SD cards and USB sticks to support the
instruments in the glider. Do you use it to exchange files on SD cards
and USB sticks? Can you use it to send your IGC files to the OLC?

It sounds like it's plenty bright enough to use in the cockpit - any
issues there?

email me)

Jim Staniforth
December 25th 13, 11:51 PM
You can plug a USB card into a smart phone using a cable called OTG - for
On The Go.
Found on Amazon or E-Bay.
The IPad camera kit has a USB adapter.
Jim

December 26th 13, 02:13 PM
I use Dropbox to move files onto and off my iPad.

Completely free.

John Carlyle
December 26th 13, 04:14 PM
Jim,

The problem with these adapters is that they are limited to moving image files to/from the iPad or iPhone. They won't support IGC files.

Theoretically it is possible to move IGC files to/from iOS devices via WiFi or Bluetooth, but the app has to support it. I wrote to Andrej Kolar of Naviter some months ago about this. He replied they were exploring it for getting files from the Vertica/Oudie type of device into the iOS version of SeeYou, but so far such a capability hasn't been released.

-John, Q3

On Wednesday, December 25, 2013 6:51:36 PM UTC-5, JS wrote:
> You can plug a USB card into a smart phone using a cable called OTG - for
> On The Go.
>
> Found on Amazon or E-Bay.
>
> The IPad camera kit has a USB adapter.
>
> Jim

December 26th 13, 04:26 PM
Just don't wear polarized glasses.

Jim Staniforth
December 26th 13, 05:26 PM
Not surprised. IOS is short for Inbred Operating System.
If you give someone an image on an SD card, IOS can only find it if it's in
the DCIM folder.
Jim
(sorry if a duplicate, seem only able to post from Gliderpilot.net this
week)

On Thursday, December 26, 2013 8:14:42 AM UTC-8, John Carlyle wrote:

> The problem with these adapters is that they are limited to moving image
files to/from the iPad or iPhone. They won't support IGC files.

6X
December 26th 13, 06:41 PM
I use IGC reader on an ipad. $1.99 app http://igcreader.com. I have been emailing the files and opening the attachment with IGC reader but it may possible camera USB adapter would allow direct import to IGC on ipad. IGC reader allows for cloud storage. Would not trade the ipad due to access to foreflight and skewt log pro apps that I use for preflight planning.

CJ[_3_]
December 27th 13, 04:21 AM
It seems as though the original poster is complaining that the iPad doesn't
do what it was never designed to do, never advertised that it could do and
thus shouldn't be expected to do. Should a Ventus 2 be criticised for not
being able to carry a passenger?

Apple has made decisions regarding what can and can't be done on iPhones &
iPads for many reasons including security and usability. These decisions
mean that some really neat features (such as unrestricted file management
so you can download and export avionics updates) are not available. They
are on competing devices but those devices won't have some aviation
specific apps that may be important to you. You need to prioritise your
requirements and decide accordingly. The fact that ForeFlight, Logten Pro,
OzRunways et al refuse to make their apps available to other devices is
telling. They like what Apple does and how they do it and as they receive
no financial reward from being sole-platform (quite the opposite in fact),
their decision is based on the user experience available to iOS users.

Choose iOS/iPad, Android/Samsung Galaxy, WindowsRT/Microsoft Surface etc as
best suits you. Just don't buy a Cobra trailer and complain it doesn't tow
your boat.

Eric Greenwell[_4_]
December 27th 13, 06:43 AM
CJ wrote, On 12/26/2013 8:21 PM:
> It seems as though the original poster is complaining that the iPad doesn't
> do what it was never designed to do, never advertised that it could do and
> thus shouldn't be expected to do. Should a Ventus 2 be criticised for not
> being able to carry a passenger?
>
> Apple has made decisions regarding what can and can't be done on iPhones &
> iPads for many reasons including security and usability. These decisions
> mean that some really neat features (such as unrestricted file management
> so you can download and export avionics updates) are not available. They
> are on competing devices but those devices won't have some aviation
> specific apps that may be important to you. You need to prioritise your
> requirements and decide accordingly. The fact that ForeFlight, Logten Pro,
> OzRunways et al refuse to make their apps available to other devices is
> telling. They like what Apple does and how they do it and as they receive
> no financial reward from being sole-platform (quite the opposite in fact),
> their decision is based on the user experience available to iOS users.
>
> Choose iOS/iPad, Android/Samsung Galaxy, WindowsRT/Microsoft Surface etc as
> best suits you. Just don't buy a Cobra trailer and complain it doesn't tow
> your boat.

I didn't complain, I described the situation. I like Apple, I like the
iPad, I wanted to use the iPad, and I hoped it would be all I needed to
support my travel and soaring in the Phoenix. Unfortunately, my
understanding of the iPad world wasn't nearly enough to make an optimum
decision (understatement).

With the excellent reputation and cultish admiration Apple has, imagine
the surprise and dismay of someone from the Windows world when he
discovers a simple action he can do with an old XP laptop in a few
minutes - upload a file from an SD card to the OLC - may not even be
possible with the newest, most elegant tablet computer made! Actually,
one exclamation point isn't enough.

I simply had no idea such a basic operation - file interchange - could
be so limited on such a device. I'm still blown away by that. And no way
to add memory either, a totally foreign idea to Windows user. I knew
Apple was different, but I thought it was at least from the same planet.

Anyway, on to my quest for a solution. So far, no luck, but there are
some possibilities, like the Airstash SC/USB/wifi device, and something
similar by Sandisk (The SanDisk Connect Wireless Flash Drive). Someone
suggested jailbreaking, but I'd like to keep the iPad stock and do it
with apps and hardware. In the meantime, I'm keeping the XP laptop close
by until this sorts out. I'm hoping a couple months from now, with the
Phoenix retrieved and more understanding iPads, Androids, and of what I
want a tablet to do, the way will be clear.

I just didn't think was going to be a pioneer (you know, those guys with
all the arrows in their backs).

email me)

Eric Greenwell[_4_]
December 27th 13, 04:15 PM
Eric Greenwell wrote, On 12/26/2013 10:43 PM:

> Anyway, on to my quest for a solution. So far, no luck, but there are
> some possibilities, like the Airstash SC/USB/wifi device, and something
> similar by Sandisk (The SanDisk Connect Wireless Flash Drive). Someone
> suggested jailbreaking, but I'd like to keep the iPad stock and do it
> with apps and hardware. In the meantime, I'm keeping the XP laptop close
> by until this sorts out. I'm hoping a couple months from now, with the
> Phoenix retrieved and more understanding iPads, Androids, and of what I
> want a tablet to do, the way will be clear.

My problems may be "legacy" problems, as I think I've noticed a trend to
wireless connection of the flight computer and the hardware; for
example, the Butterfly vario offers wifi as an option, and Winpilot for
the iPad will connect to it using wifi - no cables needed. I assume a
two seater could have two iPads, both connected to the same vario over
wifi. It'd be super cool if the back seat iPad could mimic the vario
display, saving you the cost another $3500 vario!

A potential upgrade for "wired" units to wireless is the Bluetooth
dongle by K6 Team, which might let me use the iPad to connect to my 302
vario for vario data, and retrieve the IGC file after a flight. At $190,
it's a very expensive "cable", not much cheaper than the iPad itself.

email me)

Dan Marotta
December 27th 13, 05:31 PM
Off topic, but is the Phoenix you're talking about, Eric?

http://www.phoenixairusa.com/LSA_Glider.html

"Eric Greenwell" > wrote in message
> Eric Greenwell wrote, On 12/26/2013 10:43 PM:
>
>> Anyway, on to my quest for a solution. So far, no luck, but there are
>> some possibilities, like the Airstash SC/USB/wifi device, and something
>> similar by Sandisk (The SanDisk Connect Wireless Flash Drive). Someone
>> suggested jailbreaking, but I'd like to keep the iPad stock and do it
>> with apps and hardware. In the meantime, I'm keeping the XP laptop close
>> by until this sorts out. I'm hoping a couple months from now, with the
>> Phoenix retrieved and more understanding iPads, Androids, and of what I
>> want a tablet to do, the way will be clear.
>
> My problems may be "legacy" problems, as I think I've noticed a trend to
> wireless connection of the flight computer and the hardware; for example,
> the Butterfly vario offers wifi as an option, and Winpilot for the iPad
> will connect to it using wifi - no cables needed. I assume a two seater
> could have two iPads, both connected to the same vario over wifi. It'd be
> super cool if the back seat iPad could mimic the vario display, saving you
> the cost another $3500 vario!
>
> A potential upgrade for "wired" units to wireless is the Bluetooth dongle
> by K6 Team, which might let me use the iPad to connect to my 302 vario for
> vario data, and retrieve the IGC file after a flight. At $190, it's a very
> expensive "cable", not much cheaper than the iPad itself.
>
> --
> Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email
> me)

Eric Greenwell[_4_]
December 27th 13, 07:14 PM
Dan Marotta wrote, On 12/27/2013 9:31 AM:
> Off topic, but is the Phoenix you're talking about, Eric?
>
> http://www.phoenixairusa.com/LSA_Glider.html

That's the one!

email me)

waremark
December 28th 13, 12:53 AM
On Friday, 27 December 2013 19:14:16 UTC, Eric Greenwell wrote:
> Dan Marotta wrote, On 12/27/2013 9:31 AM:
>
> > Off topic, but is the Phoenix you're talking about, Eric?
>

> > http://www.phoenixairusa.com/LSA_Glider.html
>

> That's the one!
>

> --
>
> Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to
>
> email me)

And presumably you must be abandoning the wonderful ASH 26 for this? I can see the attraction for aerial safaris, but won't you miss 50:1 performance?

Eric Greenwell[_4_]
December 28th 13, 02:12 AM
waremark wrote, On 12/27/2013 4:53 PM:
> On Friday, 27 December 2013 19:14:16 UTC, Eric Greenwell wrote:
>> Dan Marotta wrote, On 12/27/2013 9:31 AM:
>>
>>> Off topic, but is the Phoenix you're talking about, Eric?
>>
>>> http://www.phoenixairusa.com/LSA_Glider.html
>> That's the one!
>
> And presumably you must be abandoning the wonderful ASH 26 for this?
> I can see the attraction for aerial safaris, but won't you miss 50:1
> performance?

I intend to keep the 26E until I notice I don't have
time/energy/interest to fly two gliders. I don't know how that will turn
out, but initially I'll be joining three other 26E/31Mi pilots that also
have a Phoenix, thus making four of us. I see them as complementary
gliders, not substitutes, and new Phoenix + old ASH 26 E (20 years now!)
still costs less than a new ASH 31Mi.

email me)

Eric Greenwell[_4_]
December 28th 13, 05:54 AM
Eric Greenwell wrote, On 12/27/2013 6:12 PM:
> waremark wrote, On 12/27/2013 4:53 PM:

>>> That's the one!
>>
>> And presumably you must be abandoning the wonderful ASH 26 for this?
>> I can see the attraction for aerial safaris, but won't you miss 50:1
>> performance?
>
> I intend to keep the 26E until I notice I don't have
> time/energy/interest to fly two gliders. I don't know how that will turn
> out, but initially I'll be joining three other 26E/31Mi pilots that also
> have a Phoenix, thus making four of us. I see them as complementary
> gliders, not substitutes, and new Phoenix + old ASH 26 E (20 years now!)
> still costs less than a new ASH 31Mi.

To clarify, each one of the other three 26E/31Mi owners has his own
Phoenix.

email me)

Dan Marotta
December 28th 13, 05:10 PM
That's pretty spiffy looking. I wonder what the trailer costs and if it's a
standard utility trailer or purpose built.

Wonder how Sweetie-Pie would react to an addition to the family...

"Eric Greenwell" > wrote in message
> Eric Greenwell wrote, On 12/27/2013 6:12 PM:
>> waremark wrote, On 12/27/2013 4:53 PM:

>>> And presumably you must be abandoning the wonderful ASH 26 for this?
>>> I can see the attraction for aerial safaris, but won't you miss 50:1
>>> performance?
>>
>> I intend to keep the 26E until I notice I don't have
>> time/energy/interest to fly two gliders. I don't know how that will turn
>> out, but initially I'll be joining three other 26E/31Mi pilots that also
>> have a Phoenix, thus making four of us. I see them as complementary
>> gliders, not substitutes, and new Phoenix + old ASH 26 E (20 years now!)
>> still costs less than a new ASH 31Mi.
>
> To clarify, each one of the other three 26E/31Mi owners has his own
> Phoenix.
>
> --
> Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email
> me)

Eric Greenwell[_4_]
December 28th 13, 08:08 PM
Dan Marotta wrote, On 12/28/2013 9:10 AM:
> That's pretty spiffy looking. I wonder what the trailer costs and if
> it's a standard utility trailer or purpose built.
>
> Wonder how Sweetie-Pie would react to an addition to the family...

Most owners don't get a trailer, but keep in it a hangar, or tie it
down. It fits in a standard T-hangar easily, because the outer wing
panels remove in a couple minutes, reducing the span to 34 feet. I'll be
using a 42' T-hangar, leaving lots of room for a bench, cabinets,
refrigerator (gotta keep the after-flying beer somewhere), and other stuff.

The two trailers I know of are Haulmark style utility trailers with
tiedowns for the fuselage and wall mounted cradles for the wings and
tail. I think the dealer will sell you one already set up in the $8000
range (that price is over a year old); one owner just did the Haulmark
conversion himself. An owner in Hawaii uses a shipping container set
near the ramp, takes the wings off to store them on the walls; the
fuselage is just rolled in - no need to tie it down.

My Sweetie-Pie is a little nervous about traveling in one, but likes the
idea of getting places 2 1/2 times quicker than driving, and the fact
that it can glide to an airport if the engine quits. Knowing that it has
it's own parachute is big plus with her.

She's been up in two them, and now says "it's like being in a sports
car!", a compliment, since she used to own one. She's hasn't reacted
that well to flights in a Blanik ;^)

Here's the link to the Phoenix newsgroup:

http://www.touringmotorgliders.org/forum/forumdisplay.php/36-Phoenix-S-LSA-Motorglider

email me)

Dan Marotta
December 28th 13, 11:08 PM
Thanks, Eric, I've already sent links to Sweetie-Pie! (Not counting any
chickens yet...)

"Eric Greenwell" > wrote in message
> Dan Marotta wrote, On 12/28/2013 9:10 AM:
>> That's pretty spiffy looking. I wonder what the trailer costs and if
>> it's a standard utility trailer or purpose built.
> >
> > Wonder how Sweetie-Pie would react to an addition to the family...

> Most owners don't get a trailer, but keep in it a hangar, or tie it down.
> It fits in a standard T-hangar easily, because the outer wing panels
> remove in a couple minutes, reducing the span to 34 feet. I'll be using a
> 42' T-hangar, leaving lots of room for a bench, cabinets, refrigerator
> (gotta keep the after-flying beer somewhere), and other stuff.
>
> The two trailers I know of are Haulmark style utility trailers with
> tiedowns for the fuselage and wall mounted cradles for the wings and tail.
> I think the dealer will sell you one already set up in the $8000 range
> (that price is over a year old); one owner just did the Haulmark
> conversion himself. An owner in Hawaii uses a shipping container set near
> the ramp, takes the wings off to store them on the walls; the fuselage is
> just rolled in - no need to tie it down.
>
> My Sweetie-Pie is a little nervous about traveling in one, but likes the
> idea of getting places 2 1/2 times quicker than driving, and the fact that
> it can glide to an airport if the engine quits. Knowing that it has it's
> own parachute is big plus with her.
>
> She's been up in two them, and now says "it's like being in a sports
> car!", a compliment, since she used to own one. She's hasn't reacted that
> well to flights in a Blanik ;^)
>
> Here's the link to the Phoenix newsgroup:
>
> http://www.touringmotorgliders.org/forum/forumdisplay.php/36-Phoenix-S-LSA-Motorglider
>
> --
> Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email
> me)

waremark
December 29th 13, 07:55 PM
Congrats, you will have a superb fleet.

Jim[_18_]
December 30th 13, 07:51 PM
A couple years ago, I purchased a zoomit adapter and was able to load a large pdf file from a usb stick. Haven't played with it since so don't know all that it can do. If I don't get called out on reserve at work today will look for it and experiment a little.

http://www.zoommediaplus.com/mobileapps.html

Jim Dingess

Eric Greenwell[_4_]
December 30th 13, 08:53 PM
Jim wrote, On 12/30/2013 11:51 AM:
> A couple years ago, I purchased a zoomit adapter and was able to load
> a large pdf file from a usb stick. Haven't played with it since so
> don't know all that it can do. If I don't get called out on reserve
> at work today will look for it and experiment a little.
>
> http://www.zoommediaplus.com/mobileapps.html

That's exactly the kind of device I'm looking for; unfortunately, the
Zoomit doesn't use the 8 pin Lightning connector on my iPad mini, and
the app seems to be written of iOS5, not iOS7. Maybe someone knows a
source for the equivalent to the Zoomit.

email me)

Google