PDA

View Full Version : Cobra Trailer-Replacing front panel

January 5th 14, 04:27 PM
I am going to start a project soon to replace the front lower panel and one of the corner brackets on a late 90s Cobra trailer. The trailer had been repaired (but not all that well) from a minor accident long before I bought it and it and I managed to dent the thing last season (Don't ask;)). Ive collected all the parts, Thanks to Noelle and Williams Soaring I have collected all the parts and I have a pretty good idea on how to proceed. If any of you have done a panel replacement before and care to comment I would like to hear from you.
At the same time I am going to address the brake strut issue while I have the tongue removed. Mine is completely worn out to the point where it is difficult to back up. I have talked to Williams and the factory and Cobra has said that the strut "should never need replacing" (Now if we could just build gliders and tow planes out of the same material;)). I have found a few different parts diagrams and I am not sure which one applies until I tear into this thing. I will take lots of pictures and for those of you with the same brake issue hit me up at the convention and I should have some headway on this project by then.
Thanks

Jim Staniforth
January 6th 14, 07:57 PM
K. Regarding the brakes.
E-mail Agnes Spindelberger ag.spi at cobratrailer dot com with all the
information stamped below the hand brake of your trailer to get the proper
damper.
Instructions (below) and diagram can be found on wings and wheels.
Sent from gliderpilot.net. Tried from google, but they're bloody useless.
Jim

http://www.wingsandwheels.com/Tongue%20detail.htm

Per Tim Mara…

For anyone interested (keep this in mind for the future) I finally removed
the tongue strut after pulling every bolt out of the tongue. Here is the
proper removal procedures if you can't get yours out:

Remove hitch from front of tube. Remove the spacer bar from inside of the
tube.
Remove the two bolts retaining the strut in place.
Pull the strut forward as far as you can and remove the head of the strut
that the bolt goes through.
The head of mine unscrewed from the shaft.
Remove the one big bolt that retains the parking brake handle and lower the
mechanism that has the actuator attached to the rod which actuates the
brakes.
Remove the fuselage from the trailer and remove the dust cap on the end of
the tube inside of the trailer.
Take a long, slender stick and shove it from the outside towards the inside
of the trailer. This will push the tongue strut to where you can grab it
inside of the trailer.
Reverse procedures to install.

January 15th 14, 02:25 PM
On Monday, January 6, 2014 12:57:53 PM UTC-7, JS wrote:
> K. Regarding the brakes.
>
> E-mail Agnes Spindelberger ag.spi at cobratrailer dot com with all the
>
> information stamped below the hand brake of your trailer to get the proper
>
> damper.
>
> Instructions (below) and diagram can be found on wings and wheels.
>
> Sent from gliderpilot.net. Tried from google, but they're bloody useless.
>
> Jim
>

> http://www.wingsandwheels.com/Tongue%20detail.htm
>

> Per Tim Mara…
>

> For anyone interested (keep this in mind for the future) I finally removed
>
> the tongue strut after pulling every bolt out of the tongue. Here is the
>
> proper removal procedures if you can't get yours out:
>

> Remove hitch from front of tube. Remove the spacer bar from inside of the
>
> tube.
>
> Remove the two bolts retaining the strut in place.
>
> Pull the strut forward as far as you can and remove the head of the strut
>
> that the bolt goes through.
>
> The head of mine unscrewed from the shaft.
>
> Remove the one big bolt that retains the parking brake handle and lower the
>
> mechanism that has the actuator attached to the rod which actuates the
>
> brakes.
>
> Remove the fuselage from the trailer and remove the dust cap on the end of
>
> the tube inside of the trailer.
>
> Take a long, slender stick and shove it from the outside towards the inside
>
> of the trailer. This will push the tongue strut to where you can grab it
>
> inside of the trailer.
>
> Reverse procedures to install.

JS,
Thanks, I have this diagram. And thanks to everyone for the PMs. The working WX has been good and I am making headway.

Google