PDA

View Full Version : Hello Jim Payne

January 5th 14, 06:52 PM
First congratulations to you and your team for the incredible wave flights. Outstanding!

If not a proprietary secret, I would be interested in knowing the make and model of the clothes you wear to stay warm during your long, cold flights. I'm especially interested in knowing how you keep your lower legs and feet warm.

Thanks.

Jim Payne
January 6th 14, 02:28 PM
On Sunday, January 5, 2014 3:52:13 PM UTC-3, wrote:

> If not a proprietary secret, I would be interested in knowing the make and model of the clothes you wear to stay warm during your long, cold flights.. I'm especially interested in knowing how you keep your lower legs and feet warm.

I am using good wicking long johns, shirt and pants, down bib overalls, down jacket, and outer shell along with down-filled camp boots with electric insoles, two pairs of thick wool socks, and one 18-hour chemical heater in each boot. Put the chemical heaters outside the socks as they can be too effective if you get stuck at low altitude. A challenge with warm boots is finding a pair with soles that are not too large to fit on the rudder pedals. In warm season wave I rarely turn on the insoles. I also have warm gloves and a warm hat.
Bottom line: Your feet are the most difficult extremity to keep warm. Any good ski or snowmobile suit should work for the rest of the body.
Soar Safe, Have Fun, and Go Fast ... wave flying when comfortably warm is awesome.
JP

Soartech
January 6th 14, 05:26 PM
Jim,
>down-filled camp boots
What brand and model boots do you use?
> 18-hour chemical heater in each boot.
Where can you find 18 hour heaters?
I have never seen these, just the 5 hours ones.
Thanks.

Jim Staniforth
January 6th 14, 07:47 PM
Some cockpits don't allow for large boots and multiple pairs of socks.
Another way to keep the feet warm is by using Gerbing heated insoles and
controller, available at good motorcycle shops for about $200.
Example...
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/gerbings-hybrid-heated-insoles
Jim

January 6th 14, 10:06 PM
Jim...please identify the brand and model of the down booties and chemical warmers you prefer.I too would like a source for 18 hour stuff.

With your current "dress", down to what outside temperature can you stay comfortable?

Thanks.

Ben

Dan Marotta
January 6th 14, 11:00 PM
I've found 18 hour chemical heaters at Wal Mart in the sporting goods
section. I bought a 10-pack for about $7.00.

I've also found that they're more effective if I open them up a half hour or
so before flight while preparing my ship. I carry them in the pockets of my
hoodie and take them out and shake them occasionally. Just before getting
into the glider, I put them into my boots.

> wrote in message
> Jim...please identify the brand and model of the down booties and chemical
> warmers you prefer.I too would like a source for 18 hour stuff.
>
> With your current "dress", down to what outside temperature can you stay
> comfortable?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Ben

January 7th 14, 12:23 AM
To keep feet warm: A few years ago my crew gave me Thermosoles.com ($100). Worn inside any shoe that fits, they work great. They last 8+ hours and control foot temp to 98F, so never too hot or too cold, and saves (LiPo) batter power. If it's really cold I wear them inside felt boot liners for Sorel boots, but w/o the boots. The felt boot liners are not too big, flexible and very warm. Good felts have a thin leather sole, which is nice if the ground is damp. I keep walking shoes in the glider storage area for before and after the flight.
~Bruce

Google