PDA

View Full Version : Wingstands Update

Papa3[_2_]
January 16th 14, 12:35 AM
Hi,

Anyone have any thoughts on the current state of the art for light, compact wingstands. I've reviewed all of the threads from the last few years as well as looking at various websites. Just wondering if there are any new entrants to the market.

FWIW, I absolutely LOVE the old Wings and Wheels wingstand from the early 2000s that came in kit form. Cheap, light, simple, and incredibly robust. I could probably see fabricating and powdercoating the two key parts (top cluster and the leg support unit) if I had the time... which I don't. If anyone wants to sell a used one (or two) I'd be interested.

P3

6PK
January 16th 14, 03:12 AM
On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 4:35:47 PM UTC-8, Papa3 wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Anyone have any thoughts on the current state of the art for light, compact wingstands. I've reviewed all of the threads from the last few years as well as looking at various websites. Just wondering if there are any new entrants to the market.
>

> FWIW, I absolutely LOVE the old Wings and Wheels wingstand from the early 2000s that came in kit form. Cheap, light, simple, and incredibly robust. I could probably see fabricating and powdercoating the two key parts (top cluster and the leg support unit) if I had the time... which I don't. If anyone wants to sell a used one (or two) I'd be interested.
>

>Simple, sturdy, light, inexpensive and readily available at any Home Depot
http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Flip-Top-Portable-Work-Support-AC9934/100618242#

Paul Remde
January 16th 14, 03:40 AM
Hi,

That Home Depot stand does look like a good option. Has anyone used one as
a wing-stand?

Paul Remde
______________________________

"6PK" wrote in message

On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 4:35:47 PM UTC-8, Papa3 wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Anyone have any thoughts on the current state of the art for light,
> compact wingstands. I've reviewed all of the threads from the last few
> years as well as looking at various websites. Just wondering if there
> are any new entrants to the market.
>

> FWIW, I absolutely LOVE the old Wings and Wheels wingstand from the early
> 2000s that came in kit form. Cheap, light, simple, and incredibly robust.
> I could probably see fabricating and powdercoating the two key parts (top
> cluster and the leg support unit) if I had the time... which I don't. If
> anyone wants to sell a used one (or two) I'd be interested.
>

>Simple, sturdy, light, inexpensive and readily available at any Home Depot
http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Flip-Top-Portable-Work-Support-AC9934/100618242#

6PK
January 16th 14, 04:06 AM
On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 7:40:48 PM UTC-8, Paul Remde wrote:
> Hi,
>

> That Home Depot stand does look like a good option. Has anyone used one as
>
> a wing-stand?
>

> Paul Remde
>
> ______________________________
>

> "6PK" wrote in message

> On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 4:35:47 PM UTC-8, Papa3 wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>

> > Anyone have any thoughts on the current state of the art for light,
>
> > compact wingstands. I've reviewed all of the threads from the last few
>
> > years as well as looking at various websites. Just wondering if there
>
> > are any new entrants to the market.
>

> > FWIW, I absolutely LOVE the old Wings and Wheels wingstand from the early
>
> > 2000s that came in kit form. Cheap, light, simple, and incredibly robust.
>
> > I could probably see fabricating and powdercoating the two key parts (top
>
> > cluster and the leg support unit) if I had the time... which I don't. If
>
> > anyone wants to sell a used one (or two) I'd be interested.
>

> >Simple, sturdy, light, inexpensive and readily available at any Home Depot
>
> http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Flip-Top-Portable-Work-Support-AC9934/100618242#

Several guys at CalCity including myself for several years now. Not a one problem.
6PK

Frank Whiteley
January 16th 14, 05:24 AM
On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 9:06:46 PM UTC-7, 6PK wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 7:40:48 PM UTC-8, Paul Remde wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>

> > That Home Depot stand does look like a good option. Has anyone used one as
>

> > a wing-stand?
>

> > Paul Remde
>

> > ______________________________
>

> > "6PK" wrote in message

> > On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 4:35:47 PM UTC-8, Papa3 wrote:
>

> > > Hi,

> > > Anyone have any thoughts on the current state of the art for light,
>

> > > compact wingstands. I've reviewed all of the threads from the last few
>

> > > years as well as looking at various websites. Just wondering if there
>

> > > are any new entrants to the market.

> > > FWIW, I absolutely LOVE the old Wings and Wheels wingstand from the early
>

> > > 2000s that came in kit form. Cheap, light, simple, and incredibly robust.
>

> > > I could probably see fabricating and powdercoating the two key parts (top
>

> > > cluster and the leg support unit) if I had the time... which I don't. If
>

> > > anyone wants to sell a used one (or two) I'd be interested.

> > >Simple, sturdy, light, inexpensive and readily available at any Home Depot
>

> > http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Flip-Top-Portable-Work-Support-AC9934/100618242#
>

> Several guys at CalCity including myself for several years now. Not a one problem.
>
> 6PK

I had the tightening handle on the vertical adjust clamp break on one. Otherwise no other issues.

Frank Whiteley

January 16th 14, 05:53 AM
I use one and so does another club member. Because I like having a "redundant back-up to critical systems" I drilled three holes in the sliding upright and have a tethered locking pin to insert in them to back up the friction clamp. We both made contoured foam pads for the top plate which fit nicely into the contours of the wing underside. This holds the wing nice and steady during rigging. I actually like it better than the genuine Cobra wingstand the club 505 has.

I've also used the same stand with the club Twin Astir. If it can hold one of those solid concrete wings steadily a 15 meter ship is a breeze!

Tim Taylor
January 16th 14, 07:51 AM
My favorite is still the Pearl C900 Cymbal stands. Has that perfect feel of quality and are flexible in height.

TT

Peter Scholz[_3_]
January 16th 14, 09:00 AM
Am 16.01.2014 01:35, Papa3 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Anyone have any thoughts on the current state of the art for light, compact wingstands. I've reviewed all of the threads from the last few years as well as looking at various websites. Just wondering if there are any new entrants to the market.
>
> FWIW, I absolutely LOVE the old Wings and Wheels wingstand from the early 2000s that came in kit form. Cheap, light, simple, and incredibly robust. I could probably see fabricating and powdercoating the two key parts (top cluster and the leg support unit) if I had the time... which I don't. If anyone wants to sell a used one (or two) I'd be interested.
>
> P3

Another alternative ist this type:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Workforce-5-Compartment-Ball-Bearing-Roller-Stand-with-Edge-Guides-AC43/202530462#

I use two of those since several years. Lightweight, durable, easy to
store.

I took off the top roller and replaced it with a piece of suitable foam
insulation for heating pipes. Also reinforced the thread for the fixing
clamp when it became worn out, since then no problem at all. I use it
during assemply as well as for supporting the wings during tie-down when
leaving the plane assembled overnight.

--
Peter Scholz
ASW24 JE

Richard[_9_]
January 16th 14, 04:06 PM
On Thursday, January 16, 2014 1:00:55 AM UTC-8, Peter Scholz wrote:
> Am 16.01.2014 01:35, Papa3 wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>

> > Anyone have any thoughts on the current state of the art for light, compact wingstands. I've reviewed all of the threads from the last few years as well as looking at various websites. Just wondering if there are any new entrants to the market.
>

> > FWIW, I absolutely LOVE the old Wings and Wheels wingstand from the early 2000s that came in kit form. Cheap, light, simple, and incredibly robust. I could probably see fabricating and powdercoating the two key parts (top cluster and the leg support unit) if I had the time... which I don't. If anyone wants to sell a used one (or two) I'd be interested.
>

> > P3
>

> Another alternative ist this type:
>
> http://www.homedepot.com/p/Workforce-5-Compartment-Ball-Bearing-Roller-Stand-with-Edge-Guides-AC43/202530462#
>

> I use two of those since several years. Lightweight, durable, easy to
>
> store.
>

> I took off the top roller and replaced it with a piece of suitable foam
>
> insulation for heating pipes. Also reinforced the thread for the fixing
>
> clamp when it became worn out, since then no problem at all. I use it
>
> during assemply as well as for supporting the wings during tie-down when
>
> leaving the plane assembled overnight.
>

> --
>
> Peter Scholz
>
> ASW24 JE

Another good one from HomeDepot just cover with felt, rubber or carpet.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Flip-Top-Portable-Work-Support-AC9934/100618242#

Richard
Craggy Aero LLC

Peter von Tresckow
January 16th 14, 04:13 PM
Peter Scholz > wrote:
> Am 16.01.2014 01:35, Papa3 wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Anyone have any thoughts on the current state of the art for light,
>> compact wingstands. I've reviewed all of the threads from the last few
>> years as well as looking at various websites. Just wondering if there
>> are any new entrants to the market.
>>
>> FWIW, I absolutely LOVE the old Wings and Wheels wingstand from the
>> early 2000s that came in kit form. Cheap, light, simple, and incredibly
>> robust. I could probably see fabricating and powdercoating the two key
>> parts (top cluster and the leg support unit) if I had the time... which
>> I don't. If anyone wants to sell a used one (or two) I'd be interested.
>>
>> P3
>>
> Another alternative ist this type:
> http://www.homedepot.com/p/Workforce-5-Compartment-Ball-Bearing-Roller-Stand-with-Edge-Guides-AC43/202530462#
>
> I use two of those since several years. Lightweight, durable, easy to store.
>
> I took off the top roller and replaced it with a piece of suitable foam
> insulation for heating pipes. Also reinforced the thread for the fixing
> clamp when it became worn out, since then no problem at all. I use it
> during assemply as well as for supporting the wings during tie-down when
> leaving the plane assembled overnight.
>
> --
> Peter Scholz
> ASW24 JE

The Home Depot stand is good for newer glass ships. Unfortunately I need to
use a "calibrated" ladder for my Ka-6. But that's due to it having suck a
high wing.

It would be nice if someone built something for us high wing folks...

Peter

Papa3[_2_]
January 16th 14, 05:55 PM
On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 10:12:09 PM UTC-5, 6PK wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 4:35:47 PM UTC-8, Papa3 wrote:
>
> >Simple, sturdy, light, inexpensive and readily available at any Home Depot
>
> http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Flip-Top-Portable-Work-Support-AC9934/100618242#

I've seen a bunch of them around. My main objection is that they don't fold down nearly as small as the old Wings and Wheels design. You could fit two of the W&W wingstands in an 8" ID tube for storage (i.e. a length of PVC pipe). With all of the crap that starts to end up in our trailers, compact breakdown is important (at least to me).

P3

Steve Leonard[_2_]
January 16th 14, 06:28 PM
On Thursday, January 16, 2014 10:13:07 AM UTC-6, vontresc wrote:
> The Home Depot stand is good for newer glass ships. Unfortunately I need to use a "calibrated" ladder for my Ka-6. But that's due to it having suck a high wing. It would be nice if someone built something for us high wing folks... Peter

An option for you, Pete, might be to get an additional length of square tubing the same size as the vertical on the stand, and have it welded on. Instant taller stand! And teh weld doesn't even have to be able to slip through the bottom part. Takes a bit more space to store, but less than your calibrated, cut off ladder. Just another option.

Steve

6PK
January 17th 14, 12:15 AM
On Thursday, January 16, 2014 8:06:27 AM UTC-8, Richard wrote:
> On Thursday, January 16, 2014 1:00:55 AM UTC-8, Peter Scholz wrote:
>
> > Am 16.01.2014 01:35, Papa3 wrote:
>

> > > Hi,
>

> > > Anyone have any thoughts on the current state of the art for light, compact wingstands. I've reviewed all of the threads from the last few years as well as looking at various websites. Just wondering if there are any new entrants to the market.
>

> > > FWIW, I absolutely LOVE the old Wings and Wheels wingstand from the early 2000s that came in kit form. Cheap, light, simple, and incredibly robust. I could probably see fabricating and powdercoating the two key parts (top cluster and the leg support unit) if I had the time... which I don't. If anyone wants to sell a used one (or two) I'd be interested.
>

> > > P3
>

> > Another alternative ist this type:
>

> > http://www.homedepot.com/p/Workforce-5-Compartment-Ball-Bearing-Roller-Stand-with-Edge-Guides-AC43/202530462#
>

> > I use two of those since several years. Lightweight, durable, easy to
>

> > store.
>

> > I took off the top roller and replaced it with a piece of suitable foam
>

> > insulation for heating pipes. Also reinforced the thread for the fixing
>

> > clamp when it became worn out, since then no problem at all. I use it
>

> > during assemply as well as for supporting the wings during tie-down when
>

> > leaving the plane assembled overnight.
>

> > --
>

> > Peter Scholz
>

> > ASW24 JE
>

> Another good one from HomeDepot just cover with felt, rubber or carpet.
>

> http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Flip-Top-Portable-Work-Support-AC9934/100618242#
>

> Richard
>
> Craggy Aero LLC

same one??

January 17th 14, 02:44 AM
I don't like the carpentry style work supports that have a straight bar on the floor, because grass is not flat enough for these designs. Also the poor telescopic lock designs always worried me compared to glider stands. The $300 cobra stand has a narrow tripod, also not a confidence booster, especially in wind. The price is absurd. Percussion cymbal stands mentioned earlier are cheap, pretty chrome, with a huge tripod, and great breakdown size. Check Craigslist, usually $40 each. If somebody is adventurous, here are 100 for sale:
http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/msd/4287042044.html

Mark628CA
January 17th 14, 04:34 AM
I am not a fan of the chrome music stands. An emergency de-rig of a Nimbus 4DM in advance of a gust front at Moriarty had us trying to get the outer wing panel off and supporting the other wing with one of the chrome stands. As soon as the weight was off the opposite wing, the thing collapsed and twisted the tripod supports. Make sure you use one on a glider that has wings lighter than.....

Mark628CA
January 17th 14, 04:51 AM
My personal favorite wingstand is the black anodized aluminum Speaker/Amplifier stand. They are a bit too tall, but with instructions on the Wings & Wheels site (Thanks Tim!) they can be easily cut down. Instead of the flat support W&W offers, I used a 14 inch piece of aluminum channel drilled so it rocks back and forth a few degrees. Some padding and it works great- big solid aluminum tube tripod, great locking knobs with a through pin for safety. About $50 at your local music store and an hour's labor and you've got what I rely on.

Robert Fidler[_2_]
January 17th 14, 01:57 PM
On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 7:35:47 PM UTC-5, Papa3 wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Anyone have any thoughts on the current state of the art for light, compact wingstands. I've reviewed all of the threads from the last few years as well as looking at various websites. Just wondering if there are any new entrants to the market.
>

> FWIW, I absolutely LOVE the old Wings and Wheels wingstand from the early 2000s that came in kit form. Cheap, light, simple, and incredibly robust. I could probably see fabricating and powdercoating the two key parts (top cluster and the leg support unit) if I had the time... which I don't. If anyone wants to sell a used one (or two) I'd be interested.
>

> P3

The wings and Wheel Stands are great but they will rust unless you take steps to keep them rusting. My are 15 years old and perfect.

Bob Luten
January 18th 14, 12:46 AM
> FWIW, I absolutely LOVE the old Wings and Wheels wingstand from the early 2000s that came in kit form. ...[snip]... If anyone wants to sell a used one (or two) I'd be interested.

I have a couple of Paul's kits that never got cut and (re)assembled. I guess I paid about $90 apiece for them. The only hazard I can think of is that they are snowed in in the hangar in north Idaho and I'm in Florida (or migrating back to Idaho) until about mid-May, so I couldn't ship them to you until then.

Bob Luten (RL)

Bob Luten
January 20th 14, 01:40 PM
I mis-stated the source of my wing stands when I referred to Paul (Remde); I should have said Tim.

P3, let me know if you're interested in delivery in May.

Bastoune
January 21st 14, 03:30 AM
Not sure that these stands are as compact as the 'old W&W but here are a few additional options:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Professional-Tripod-Heavy-Duty-Speaker-Stands-Adjustable-/261272911692?pt=US_Speaker_Mounts_Stands&hash=item3cd5143f4c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Heavy-Duty-Tripod-DJ-PA-Speaker-Stands-SP-19B-Black-/161193429476?pt=US_Speaker_Mounts_Stands&hash=item2587e089e4

Google