PDA

View Full Version : Transponder installation

who's me?
January 18th 14, 06:10 PM
Got a question for all you radioheads out there. I am installing a Becker Xnder and I notice my other glider has a 8"x8" or so grounding plane attached (glue?) on the inside where the antenna is mounted.
Question??? I need ground plane information such as size, thickness, installation tips, do's and don't, ideas.
The Becker is a 250 watts version and I will be using a small 2.5" wire rod type antenna.
Thank you all,

January 18th 14, 06:47 PM
On Saturday, January 18, 2014 1:10:46 PM UTC-5, who's me? wrote:
> Got a question for all you radioheads out there. I am installing a Becker Xnder and I notice my other glider has a 8"x8" or so grounding plane attached (glue?) on the inside where the antenna is mounted. Question??? I need ground plane information such as size, thickness, installation tips, do's and don't, ideas. The Becker is a 250 watts version and I will be using a small 2.5" wire rod type antenna. Thank you all, R

Thickness does not matter. I usually use a piece of .016 aluminum. Installation manual should define sise, but about 5 inches in diameter is what I recall.
On glass ship it can go inside. On carbon ship I put on outside behind the gear with 2 sided tape.
UH

Eric Greenwell[_4_]
January 18th 14, 09:11 PM
who's me? wrote, On 1/18/2014 10:10 AM:
> Got a question for all you radioheads out there. I am installing a
> Becker Xnder and I notice my other glider has a 8"x8" or so grounding
> plane attached (glue?) on the inside where the antenna is mounted.
> Question??? I need ground plane information such as size, thickness,
> installation tips, do's and don't, ideas. The Becker is a 250 watts
> version and I will be using a small 2.5" wire rod type antenna. Thank
> you all, R

The glider manufacturer may have a document showing the "correct"
installation, if not UH's comments apply.

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl

Dan Marotta
January 19th 14, 12:22 AM
I installed my ground plane inside my carbon fuselage. Used a blade antenna
just aft of the gear doors and offset slightly to the right due to the
thickness of the fuselage at the glue joint. Passed transponder test at
avionics shop and is clearly visible to ATC.

> wrote in message
On Saturday, January 18, 2014 1:10:46 PM UTC-5, who's me? wrote:
> Got a question for all you radioheads out there. I am installing a Becker
> Xnder and I notice my other glider has a 8"x8" or so grounding plane
> attached (glue?) on the inside where the antenna is mounted. Question??? I
> need ground plane information such as size, thickness, installation tips,
> do's and don't, ideas. The Becker is a 250 watts version and I will be
> using a small 2.5" wire rod type antenna. Thank you all, R

Thickness does not matter. I usually use a piece of .016 aluminum.
Installation manual should define sise, but about 5 inches in diameter is
what I recall.
On glass ship it can go inside. On carbon ship I put on outside behind the
gear with 2 sided tape.
UH

JJ Sinclair[_2_]
January 19th 14, 01:51 PM
On Saturday, January 18, 2014 4:22:19 PM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
> I installed my ground plane inside my carbon fuselage. Used a blade antenna
>
> just aft of the gear doors and offset slightly to the right due to the
>
> thickness of the fuselage at the glue joint. Passed transponder test at
>
> avionics shop and is clearly visible to ATC.
>

> > wrote in message

> On Saturday, January 18, 2014 1:10:46 PM UTC-5, who's me? wrote:
>
> > Got a question for all you radioheads out there. I am installing a Becker
>
> > Xnder and I notice my other glider has a 8"x8" or so grounding plane
>
> > attached (glue?) on the inside where the antenna is mounted. Question??? I
>
> > need ground plane information such as size, thickness, installation tips,
>
> > do's and don't, ideas. The Becker is a 250 watts version and I will be
>
> > using a small 2.5" wire rod type antenna. Thank you all, R
>

> Thickness does not matter. I usually use a piece of .016 aluminum.
>
> Installation manual should define sise, but about 5 inches in diameter is
>
> what I recall.
>
> On glass ship it can go inside. On carbon ship I put on outside behind the
>
> gear with 2 sided tape.
>
> UH

Or use a di-pole antenna that doesn't need a ground plane. I mounted mine all inside the fuselage just forward of the rudder.
JJ

Google