PDA

View Full Version : HP-11 polars

January 18th 14, 10:17 PM
Does anyone know where I can find polars, especially at various flap settings, for the Schreder HP-11?

Bob Kuykendall
January 19th 14, 01:38 AM
What is this "polar" you speak of?

But seriously, I don't think that anybody ever did a definitive polar for the HP-11. And when it comes down to it, the individual aircraft differ enough that there can't really be one polar that precisely describes them all.

When I was campaigning a 15-meter HP-11 in regional cross-country and contest events, I just used the Libelle polar and shifted it down a tad to assume a best L/D of 34:1. I based my MacCready ring on that, and it seemed to work OK.

For the flaps, I just used whatever felt about right. I generally towed and thermalled with +10, few best L/D at 0, cruised at about -4 and used about -8 at ludicrous speed.

Thanks, Bob K.

Tony[_5_]
January 19th 14, 03:24 AM
Ludicrous speed is my favorite speed

Brad Alston
January 19th 14, 05:45 PM
;849689']Ludicrous speed is my favorite speed

Is "ludicrous speed" the one you fly when you a.) think you have more altitude than you'll ever need/want or b.) when you're trying to get home before dark? ;)

I suppose the HP-11, like all other kit/home-built gliders have to be flight tested individually to get their particular polar...sounds like one of those early morning high tow kind of flights...at least it may give you enough points to compare with an existing factory made polar that you can start with.

Or, like Bob K. said, find one that's close (Libelle) and fiddle with it a bit until you like it.

Brad A.
HP-18 S/N 20

Google