PDA

View Full Version : Odd Things as Seen From the Air

JohnDeRosa
January 21st 14, 02:16 PM
A jetliner located in a very odd place.

See http://goo.gl/maps/Pl5MO <== this is the new Google Maps "short" style URL (which is like what http://tinyurl.com can do for any URL). The ld long style Google Maps URL is shown below if the above fails.

This is located 6.6 miles ESE of Sky Soaring Glider Club (http://skysoaring.com) in Hampshire, IL.

The questions remain. Why? How? No one seems to have any answers but we haven't visited the location to ask. Too scared to find out? ;-)

- John

Old Style URL follows;

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=42%C2%B0+6%2718.25%22N++88%C2%B024%2714.33% 22W&hl=en&ie=UTF8&sll=39.739318,-89.266507&sspn=12.191497,14.523926&t=h&z=16

You may need to zoom in a bit to see what I am talking about.

AJM
January 21st 14, 03:08 PM
Here is a bit more information, but it still doesn't explain how or why:

http://wiki.worldflicks.org/indian_hills_training_center_and_stables.html

It is a BAC 1-11, N111RZ

And here is a photo of it:

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/000489214.html

-AM

On Tuesday, January 21, 2014 8:16:28 AM UTC-6, JohnDeRosa wrote:
> A jetliner located in a very odd place.
>

> See http://goo.gl/maps/Pl5MO <== this is the new Google Maps "short" style URL (which is like what http://tinyurl.com can do for any URL). The ld long style Google Maps URL is shown below if the above fails.
>

> This is located 6.6 miles ESE of Sky Soaring Glider Club (http://skysoaring.com) in Hampshire, IL.
>

> The questions remain. Why? How? No one seems to have any answers but we haven't visited the location to ask. Too scared to find out? ;-)
>

> - John

> Old Style URL follows;
>

> https://maps.google.com/maps?q=42%C2%B0+6%2718.25%22N++88%C2%B024%2714.33% 22W&hl=en&ie=UTF8&sll=39.739318,-89.266507&sspn=12.191497,14.523926&t=h&z=16
>

> You may need to zoom in a bit to see what I am talking about.

Bob Whelan[_3_]
January 21st 14, 05:46 PM
On 1/21/2014 7:16 AM, JohnDeRosa wrote:
> A jetliner located in a very odd place.

<Snip...>

> The questions remain. Why? How? No one seems to have any answers but we
> haven't visited the location to ask. Too scared to find out? ;-)

I had a flashback upon initial glance...a BAC-111! Haven't seen one of those
since about high school days in the 1960s.

Just to make this thread "soaring legal" (undetectably dry humor there?), I
believe it was the BAC-111 design that led to the awareness - and ultimately,
acceptable understanding - of the "deep stall" with a T-tail effect. The
prototype of the BAC-111 was destroyed during flight test in a crash
attributed to deep stall. Later, NASA (including one Einar Enevoldsen of
today's Perlan effort) did their own deep stall investigative series using a
modified Schweizer 1-36/"Sprite" (article available in online "Soaring" mag
archive). I've read (somewhere) that Hawker-Siddeley (formerly Hawker, later
formerly many others, later later British Aerospace) gave their BAC-111-based
deep stall investigative data to (then) Douglas, which enabled Douglas to
considerably shorten the development time of the DC-9. If true, yet another
instance of cross-fertilization within the international aerodynamic community...

Bob - 2/3 of winter to go in the northern hemisphere - W.

MN50
January 22nd 14, 11:24 PM
On Tuesday, January 21, 2014 9:46:56 AM UTC-8, Bob Whelan wrote:
> On 1/21/2014 7:16 AM, JohnDeRosa wrote: > A jetliner located in a very odd place. > <Snip...> > > The questions remain. Why? How? No one seems to have any answers but we > haven't visited the location to ask. Too scared to find out? ;-) I had a flashback upon initial glance...a BAC-111! Haven't seen one of those since about high school days in the 1960s. Just to make this thread "soaring legal" (undetectably dry humor there?), I believe it was the BAC-111 design that led to the awareness - and ultimately, acceptable understanding - of the "deep stall" with a T-tail effect. The prototype of the BAC-111 was destroyed during flight test in a crash attributed to deep stall. Later, NASA (including one Einar Enevoldsen of today's Perlan effort) did their own deep stall investigative series using a modified Schweizer 1-36/"Sprite" (article available in online "Soaring" mag archive). I've read (somewhere) that Hawker-Siddeley (formerly Hawker, later formerly many others, later later British Aerospace) gave their BAC-111-based deep stall investigative data to (then) Douglas, which enabled Douglas to considerably shorten the development time of the DC-9. If true, yet another instance of cross-fertilization within the international aerodynamic community... Bob - 2/3 of winter to go in the northern hemisphere - W.

Another interesting photo on Google Maps. At the following URL, is a satellite photo of the launch grid at the Region 8 Championships at Ephrata, Washington, USA. I believe the photo was taken on July 3, 2013 around noon (the pool is set up).

http://goo.gl/maps/OAgjJ
or
https://maps.google.com/?ll=47.312751,-119.515908&spn=0.002906,0.006073&t=h&z=18

Google