PDA

View Full Version : Excel IGC logging spreadsheet

February 3rd 14, 02:54 AM
Had too much free time and I was bored out of my skull, so when pair-flying partner John Mittel (BZ) commented that he was having trouble finding a decent glider logging program that would process IGC files, I decided to give it a whirl.

Thirteen revs and a broken friendship later (just kidding about the friendship!), I think I might have a usable program. If you are interested, see the Soaring Cafe article about it at

http://soaringcafe.com/2014/02/excel-logging-spreadsheet-for-gliders/

TA

February 3rd 14, 03:14 AM
On Sunday, February 2, 2014 6:54:31 PM UTC-8, wrote:
> Had too much free time and I was bored out of my skull, so when pair-flying partner John Mittel (BZ) commented that he was having trouble finding a decent glider logging program that would process IGC files, I decided to give it a whirl.
>

> Thirteen revs and a broken friendship later (just kidding about the friendship!), I think I might have a usable program. If you are interested, see the Soaring Cafe article about it at
>

> http://soaringcafe.com/2014/02/excel-logging-spreadsheet-for-gliders/
>

> TA

Cool - I spend way too much time pulling data out by hand using SeeYou.

9B

February 3rd 14, 09:24 PM
Hi Frank, I get an error message when I clicked on download.

BV

February 3rd 14, 10:08 PM
On Monday, February 3, 2014 1:24:03 PM UTC-8, wrote:
> Hi Frank, I get an error message when I clicked on download.
>

> BV

Me too

Peter Stafford Allen
February 3rd 14, 10:09 PM
At 02:54 03 February 2014, wrote:
>Had too much free time and I was bored out of my skull, so when
pair-flying
>partner John Mittel (BZ) commented that he was having trouble finding a
>decent glider logging program that would process IGC files, I decided to
>give it a whirl.
>
>Thirteen revs and a broken friendship later (just kidding about the
>friendship!), I think I might have a usable program. If you are
>interested, see the Soaring Cafe article about it at
>
>http://soaringcafe.com/2014/02/excel-logging-spreadsheet-for-gliders/
>
>TA

Hi
Love to try a copy of the spreadsheet but regret that I get a page
unavailable when I try to download.
Have you taken it off?

Peter

Frank Beythien[_6_]
February 3rd 14, 10:23 PM
Am 03.02.2014 22:24, schrieb :
> Hi Frank, I get an error message when I clicked on download.
>
> BV

Use file->download on the left side instead of the the download form the
File too large button. The wording may be different, as I translated
from german.

Frank, but not the author :-)

JS
February 3rd 14, 11:17 PM
Very nice, Frank. And it downloaded fine for me.
By the way, the file works with Excel 2000 (possibly by using the Office 07 File Format Converters).
Jim

February 5th 14, 03:22 PM
All,

Version 1.14 is now available on my Google Drive site

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwILkoZHUvTMTDVpZ29FWnh5UlU/edit?usp=sharing

This version accommodates flight recorders such as the SYMobile Android app for smartphones that use GPS altitude instead of pressure. Thanks to Robert Sigler for bringing this to my attention.

At the moment, Robert's SYMobile FR type is the only non-pressure altitude type allowed, as I don't have the type strings for any others. If you have a mobile-phone type of recorder and want it to be recognized, send me the HFFTYFRTYPE string from your IGC file (viewable with any text reader). For example, the one from Robert's IGC files is:

HFFTYFRTYPE:SeeYou Recorder for Android

TA

Eric Bick (1DB)
February 6th 14, 05:56 PM
On Sunday, February 2, 2014 6:54:31 PM UTC-8, wrote:
> Had too much free time and I was bored out of my skull, so when pair-flying partner John Mittel (BZ) commented that he was having trouble finding a decent glider logging program that would process IGC files, I decided to give it a whirl.
>

> Thirteen revs and a broken friendship later (just kidding about the friendship!), I think I might have a usable program. If you are interested, see the Soaring Cafe article about it at
>

> http://soaringcafe.com/2014/02/excel-logging-spreadsheet-for-gliders/
>

> TA

Great. Thanks. I'll have to use this rather than the manual extraction one I came up with for myself.
Eric Bick

February 8th 14, 04:30 AM
On Wednesday, February 5, 2014 10:22:21 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> All,
>

> Version 1.14 is now available on my Google Drive site
>

> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwILkoZHUvTMTDVpZ29FWnh5UlU/edit?usp=sharing
>

> This version accommodates flight recorders such as the SYMobile Android app for smartphones that use GPS altitude instead of pressure. Thanks to Robert Sigler for bringing this to my attention.
>

> At the moment, Robert's SYMobile FR type is the only non-pressure altitude type allowed, as I don't have the type strings for any others. If you have a mobile-phone type of recorder and want it to be recognized, send me the HFFTYFRTYPE string from your IGC file (viewable with any text reader). For example, the one from Robert's IGC files is:
>

> HFFTYFRTYPE:SeeYou Recorder for Android
>

> TA

All,

Version 1.16 is now available on my drive site, at

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwILkoZHUvTMTDVpZ29FWnh5UlU/edit?usp=sharing

This version ignores B records with invalid fixes (thanks to Wojciech Scigala for this suggestion!), and opens up the duration 'dupe detection' window (was at 0.001hr, now is at 0.01hr). Also added "LK8000 PNA GENERIC" to the list of GPS-altitude only FR's.

I did get a note from one pilot who wasn't able to use it because the 'Enum' data type wasn't supported by his version of Excel (I think it was an early Excel for Macintosh). Sorry about that, but I really wan to keep the 'Enum' functionality :-(. I know it works on all MS Windows versions of Excel all the way back to 2000.

Frank (TA)

Dan Marotta
February 8th 14, 05:11 PM
To anyone with an old version of Excel - may I suggest Open Office? It's
open source and free to download and compatible with the proprietary
applications. It will also generate files in those legacy formats. BTW,
I'm not connected with the Apache Project - just a happy user. Don't know
if it'll work on those systems used by the Jobbites... (With a wink to the
Luddites)

> wrote in message
On Wednesday, February 5, 2014 10:22:21 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> All,
>

> Version 1.14 is now available on my Google Drive site
>

> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwILkoZHUvTMTDVpZ29FWnh5UlU/edit?usp=sharing
>

> This version accommodates flight recorders such as the SYMobile Android
> app for smartphones that use GPS altitude instead of pressure. Thanks to
> Robert Sigler for bringing this to my attention.
>

> At the moment, Robert's SYMobile FR type is the only non-pressure altitude
> type allowed, as I don't have the type strings for any others. If you
> have a mobile-phone type of recorder and want it to be recognized, send me
> the HFFTYFRTYPE string from your IGC file (viewable with any text reader).
> For example, the one from Robert's IGC files is:
>

> HFFTYFRTYPE:SeeYou Recorder for Android
>

> TA

All,

Version 1.16 is now available on my drive site, at

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwILkoZHUvTMTDVpZ29FWnh5UlU/edit?usp=sharing

This version ignores B records with invalid fixes (thanks to Wojciech
Scigala for this suggestion!), and opens up the duration 'dupe detection'
window (was at 0.001hr, now is at 0.01hr). Also added "LK8000 PNA GENERIC"
to the list of GPS-altitude only FR's.

I did get a note from one pilot who wasn't able to use it because the 'Enum'
data type wasn't supported by his version of Excel (I think it was an early
Excel for Macintosh). Sorry about that, but I really wan to keep the 'Enum'
functionality :-(. I know it works on all MS Windows versions of Excel all
the way back to 2000.

Frank (TA)

February 14th 14, 04:19 AM
On Friday, February 7, 2014 11:30:09 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 5, 2014 10:22:21 AM UTC-5, wrote:
>
> > All,
>

> > Version 1.14 is now available on my Google Drive site
>

> > https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwILkoZHUvTMTDVpZ29FWnh5UlU/edit?usp=sharing
>

> > This version accommodates flight recorders such as the SYMobile Android app for smartphones that use GPS altitude instead of pressure. Thanks to Robert Sigler for bringing this to my attention.
>

> > At the moment, Robert's SYMobile FR type is the only non-pressure altitude type allowed, as I don't have the type strings for any others. If you have a mobile-phone type of recorder and want it to be recognized, send me the HFFTYFRTYPE string from your IGC file (viewable with any text reader). For example, the one from Robert's IGC files is:
>

> > HFFTYFRTYPE:SeeYou Recorder for Android
>

> > TA
>

> All,
>

> Version 1.16 is now available on my drive site, at
>

> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwILkoZHUvTMTDVpZ29FWnh5UlU/edit?usp=sharing
>

> This version ignores B records with invalid fixes (thanks to Wojciech Scigala for this suggestion!), and opens up the duration 'dupe detection' window (was at 0.001hr, now is at 0.01hr). Also added "LK8000 PNA GENERIC" to the list of GPS-altitude only FR's.
>

> I did get a note from one pilot who wasn't able to use it because the 'Enum' data type wasn't supported by his version of Excel (I think it was an early Excel for Macintosh). Sorry about that, but I really wan to keep the 'Enum' functionality :-(. I know it works on all MS Windows versions of Excel all the way back to 2000.
>

> Frank (TA)

All,

Version 2.01 of my IGC Logger is now available on my Google Drive site. This version has a new 'Stats' page, that will optionally total up all your time by type, with breakouts for 'last 90 days' and 'last 12 months'. In addition, the comparison dates (i.e. today - 90 days, and today - 12 months) are exposed in editable cells, so you can actually compare against any two dates you want.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwILkoZHUvTMTDVpZ29FWnh5UlU/edit?usp=sharing

Regards,

Frank (TA)

February 15th 14, 03:57 PM
All,

Version 2.02 of my IGC Logger is now available on my Google Drive site. This version fixes a bug on the new 'Stats' page that caused the column headers to be deleted when the table was initially empty - oops! ;-).

Thanks to Casey Jay Lewis of Hong Kong for bringing this to my attention.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwILkoZHUvTMTDVpZ29FWnh5UlU/edit?usp=sharing

Frank(TA)

Ramy[_2_]
February 20th 14, 06:22 AM
On Thursday, February 6, 2014 9:56:16 AM UTC-8, Eric Bick (1DB) wrote:
> On Sunday, February 2, 2014 6:54:31 PM UTC-8, wrote:
>
> > Had too much free time and I was bored out of my skull, so when pair-flying partner John Mittel (BZ) commented that he was having trouble finding a decent glider logging program that would process IGC files, I decided to give it a whirl.
>

> > Thirteen revs and a broken friendship later (just kidding about the friendship!), I think I might have a usable program. If you are interested, see the Soaring Cafe article about it at
>

> > http://soaringcafe.com/2014/02/excel-logging-spreadsheet-for-gliders/
>

> > TA
>

> Great. Thanks. I'll have to use this rather than the manual extraction one I came up with for myself.
>
> Eric Bick

This is looking promising, and have most of the data typically needed in logbooks. Notably missing are distance, release altitude and max altitude (altitude gain). This data is available in the igc file but is obviously harder to extract, especially OLC distance and release altitude. I've been waiting for years for someone to come up with a program that can provide all that. I heard from Crosscountry.aero that they are working on such a logbook option.

Ramy

Alexander Georgas[_2_]
February 20th 14, 09:43 AM
The Crosscountry.aero logbook function has now been completed and is
currently undergoing testing. It feeds off of the igc file evaluation,
so all the required statistics are there. Functionality includes export
to PDF if a printed version of the logbook is required.

This feature will be released as part of a new package of services on
the site in about a month's time.

Alexander Georgas

On 20/02/2014 08:22, Ramy wrote:
> On Thursday, February 6, 2014 9:56:16 AM UTC-8, Eric Bick (1DB) wrote:
>> On Sunday, February 2, 2014 6:54:31 PM UTC-8, wrote:
>>
>>> Had too much free time and I was bored out of my skull, so when pair-flying partner John Mittel (BZ) commented that he was having trouble finding a decent glider logging program that would process IGC files, I decided to give it a whirl.
>>

>>> Thirteen revs and a broken friendship later (just kidding about the friendship!), I think I might have a usable program. If you are interested, see the Soaring Cafe article about it at
>>

>>> http://soaringcafe.com/2014/02/excel-logging-spreadsheet-for-gliders/
>>

>>> TA
>>

>> Great. Thanks. I'll have to use this rather than the manual extraction one I came up with for myself.
>>
>> Eric Bick
>
> This is looking promising, and have most of the data typically needed in logbooks. Notably missing are distance, release altitude and max altitude (altitude gain). This data is available in the igc file but is obviously harder to extract, especially OLC distance and release altitude. I've been waiting for years for someone to come up with a program that can provide all that. I heard from Crosscountry.aero that they are working on such a logbook option.
>
> Ramy

Ramy[_2_]
February 20th 14, 10:42 PM
On Thursday, February 20, 2014 1:43:44 AM UTC-8, Alexander Georgas wrote:
> The Crosscountry.aero logbook function has now been completed and is
>
> currently undergoing testing. It feeds off of the igc file evaluation,
>
> so all the required statistics are there. Functionality includes export
>
> to PDF if a printed version of the logbook is required.
>

> This feature will be released as part of a new package of services on
>
> the site in about a month's time.
>

> Alexander Georgas
>

> On 20/02/2014 08:22, Ramy wrote:

> >> Great. Thanks. I'll have to use this rather than the manual extraction one I came up with for myself.
>

> >> Eric Bick
>

> > This is looking promising, and have most of the data typically needed in logbooks. Notably missing are distance, release altitude and max altitude (altitude gain). This data is available in the igc file but is obviously harder to extract, especially OLC distance and release altitude. I've been waiting for years for someone to come up with a program that can provide all that. I heard from Crosscountry.aero that they are working on such a logbook option.
>

> > Ramy

Alex, I will be happy to help evaluating it.

Ramy

Steffen
April 7th 16, 07:16 PM
Hi Frank, thanks for your fantastic work.
But there are some Problems with 64Bit Excel.
Compiler looks not very happy! :-(
Do you think you could fix that for 64Bit?

Thanks in advance,
Steffen

April 7th 16, 07:50 PM
Not sure Frank still monitors RAS any longer. In any case, I'm assuming you got the sheet from the Soaring Café link and not the Google Drive link - yes? The Google link is where the fixed version was located and that Google link appears to be broken now. I probably have a copy I can dig up and send you that will work.

I'll send it to you privately later on this evening.

Robert

On Thursday, April 7, 2016 at 1:16:03 PM UTC-5, Steffen wrote:
> Hi Frank, thanks for your fantastic work.
> But there are some Problems with 64Bit Excel.
> Compiler looks not very happy! :-(
> Do you think you could fix that for 64Bit?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Steffen

Google