PDA

View Full Version : SSA Region 1 Races?

Greg Delp
February 6th 14, 07:27 PM
Looking back through the threads for past few years, it doesn't look like there has been a Region 1 race since 2008. Do any of the racers from the area think there will be a race in Region 1 in the near future?

Is there any interest from the clubs in the Region in getting together to organize some type of soaring competition possibly in preparation for organizing a race in the future?

There are several members of the Connecticut Soaring Association who are looking to start getting involved in cross country and possibly races. Is the Red Baron Trophy still circulating somewhere in the region? Last I heard it was at GBSC. Spinning wheels here to help melt the snow faster.

cuflyer
February 28th 14, 10:09 PM
Greg, took me a while to see this.
Region 1 is pretty much dead comp-wise. I fly out of Sugarbush and can tell you there won't be any races out of here any time soon. I, too, would like some Northern comps. Let me know if anything happens in Ct.

Cheers,
Tim
1FL

On Thursday, February 6, 2014 3:27:10 PM UTC-4, Greg Delp wrote:
> Looking back through the threads for past few years, it doesn't look like there has been a Region 1 race since 2008. Do any of the racers from the area think there will be a race in Region 1 in the near future?
>

> Is there any interest from the clubs in the Region in getting together to organize some type of soaring competition possibly in preparation for organizing a race in the future?
>

> There are several members of the Connecticut Soaring Association who are looking to start getting involved in cross country and possibly races. Is the Red Baron Trophy still circulating somewhere in the region? Last I heard it was at GBSC. Spinning wheels here to help melt the snow faster.

March 1st 14, 01:48 AM
On Friday, February 28, 2014 5:09:14 PM UTC-5, cuflyer wrote:
> Greg, took me a while to see this. Region 1 is pretty much dead comp-wise.. I fly out of Sugarbush and can tell you there won't be any races out of here any time soon. I, too, would like some Northern comps. Let me know if anything happens in Ct. Cheers, Tim 1FL

I'm curious as to why.
Because nobody wants to race?
Because nobody wants to run the race?
Other?
UH

cuflyer
March 1st 14, 12:22 PM
Speaking for Sugarbush - very few racers left, ergo, nobody wants to run it..
Nor is the financial incentive there for the interruption of normal ops.

Tim
1FL

On Friday, February 28, 2014 9:48:37 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Friday, February 28, 2014 5:09:14 PM UTC-5, cuflyer wrote:
>
> > Greg, took me a while to see this. Region 1 is pretty much dead comp-wise. I fly out of Sugarbush and can tell you there won't be any races out of here any time soon. I, too, would like some Northern comps. Let me know if anything happens in Ct. Cheers, Tim 1FL
>

> I'm curious as to why.
>
> Because nobody wants to race?
>
> Because nobody wants to run the race?
>
> Other?
>
> UH

Greg Delp
March 1st 14, 08:16 PM
We have pretty limited racing experience at Connecticut Soaring with only one member with previous race experience and none that have ever helped host one that I know of. Having watched a few races I can see what a big job it is to host one. I wouldn't want to bite off more than the club could chew for the first time without someone with much more experience around to help coordinate everything. I was hoping to ignite some interest with the bigger clubs in the Region so that we could participate and learn enough to host our own race someday. I know we have lots of very experienced racers in the Region who I hope would enjoy having another event nearby.

cuflyer
March 2nd 14, 12:24 PM
Well, the answer here is to set up some informal weekend racing. Down South where I fly in the spring, we have a thing called GTA (Ga/Tn/Al) race series where a couple of weekends a month through Sept, we have an informal sports class race with A Class for experience and B Class for newbies. Every time the race is at a different site on a rotating basis. Scores are recorded and every one chips in some money for organization and trophies at the end of the year. All you need is a tow plane and some one with enough experience to mentor and call appropriate tasks; and some one who knows how to use WinScore. It is all for fun and an excellent way to bring new folks into racing.
This is the GTA web site: http://www.gliderpilot.org/GTA
I think regional racing in Region 1 may be dead, for now anyway, but this works great. Who knows, if we get enough people hooked, things could change.

Cheers,
Tim
1FL

On Saturday, March 1, 2014 4:16:22 PM UTC-4, Greg Delp wrote:
> We have pretty limited racing experience at Connecticut Soaring with only one member with previous race experience and none that have ever helped host one that I know of. Having watched a few races I can see what a big job it is to host one. I wouldn't want to bite off more than the club could chew for the first time without someone with much more experience around to help coordinate everything. I was hoping to ignite some interest with the bigger clubs in the Region so that we could participate and learn enough to host our own race someday. I know we have lots of very experienced racers in the Region who I hope would enjoy having another event nearby.

March 2nd 14, 02:56 PM
We do something similar in Northern Illinois. Rules here:

http://faculty.chicagobooth.edu/john.cochrane/soaring/index.htm#nisc

Since moving from club to club is hard, we score flights originating from any of the area clubs. We use winscore and standard ssa race parameters, which really helps new pilots get used to start, finish, turnpoint geometry and rules and task strategies. Every day is a potential race day, best 8 flights over the season crowns the champion, AKA Herb Kilian.

John Cochrane

Evan Ludeman[_4_]
March 2nd 14, 03:33 PM
On Sunday, March 2, 2014 7:24:24 AM UTC-5, cuflyer wrote:
> [GTA]

I'm composing an email to my board....

Evan Ludeman / T8

cuflyer
March 2nd 14, 04:12 PM
Great, Evan.
Good luck.

Tim
1FL

On Sunday, March 2, 2014 11:33:58 AM UTC-4, Evan Ludeman wrote:
> On Sunday, March 2, 2014 7:24:24 AM UTC-5, cuflyer wrote:
>
> > [GTA]
>

> I'm composing an email to my board....
>

> Evan Ludeman / T8

noel.wade
March 2nd 14, 04:20 PM
Another suggestion:

If your area has no contest experience, you could hold a non-sanctioned introductory race with just a single class (sports) over a long weekend. If you introduce contests in a low-pressure scenario then you can build interest & momentum & volunteer knowledge over 1-2 seasons so that holding a sanctioned contest is not as high of a hurdle in a future season.

I've been helping organize an event in WA called "The Dust Up" every Memorial Day weekend over the last 5 years. Each year we alternate between holding an XC camp (with nightly talks, two-seat 2-3 hr mentorship rides, and some lead-and-follow flying) and holding a mini-contest (the nightly talks then focus on safety and strategy basics). A 3-day contest risks being rained out of course; but on the flip side it's relatively easy to manage with a single class and a small number of "contestants" (say 15-30). 3-4 days is just enough time to show people 1-2 simple TAT tasks and 1 MAT, give them 2-3 nighttime seminars, and hold a couple of good potlucks/BBQs to build camaraderie and get experienced folk mingling with newer folks.

It's been well-received up in our region, and if anyone is interested in hosting a similar event I'm happy to offer tips, advice, share presentation material, etc. You can contact me at noel.wade(at)gmail(dot)com.

Good luck,

--Noel

Dave Springford
March 2nd 14, 04:36 PM
Any of the northern racers looking for a nearby competition should consider the Canadian Nationals being held 25 June - 4 July at SOSA Gliding Club just west of Toronto.

All the details on the web at: http://sac.ca/nationals/

There will be FAI and Club handicapped classes. FAI is pretty much 18 meter with a few ASW-27's - the class is defined by handicap < 0.95

Club is defined as handicap > 0.90. Gliders that fall between 0.90 and 0.95 can elect to fly in either class.

Depending on the number of competitors, we may further subdivide the Club class into two classes where one will be in the low performance range, ie handicap > about .99

Greg Delp
March 3rd 14, 03:15 PM
On Thursday, February 6, 2014 2:27:10 PM UTC-5, Greg Delp wrote:
> Looking back through the threads for past few years, it doesn't look like there has been a Region 1 race since 2008. Do any of the racers from the area think there will be a race in Region 1 in the near future?
>

> Is there any interest from the clubs in the Region in getting together to organize some type of soaring competition possibly in preparation for organizing a race in the future?
>

> There are several members of the Connecticut Soaring Association who are looking to start getting involved in cross country and possibly races. Is the Red Baron Trophy still circulating somewhere in the region? Last I heard it was at GBSC. Spinning wheels here to help melt the snow faster.

Thanks everyone for the hints and suggestions. Hopefully this will help lead to some fun non sanctioned events so we can get some experience under our belts. Then maybe we can get back to regular Region 1 Races again. Evan if I can lend a hand in your process let me know. I'd love to come visit other local clubs and compete.

Greg
DY

Tony[_5_]
March 3rd 14, 05:20 PM
"Fun" and "Sanctioned" are not mutually exclusive

March 3rd 14, 07:02 PM
On Monday, March 3, 2014 10:15:49 AM UTC-5, Greg Delp wrote:
> On Thursday, February 6, 2014 2:27:10 PM UTC-5, Greg Delp wrote: > Looking back through the threads for past few years, it doesn't look like there has been a Region 1 race since 2008. Do any of the racers from the area think there will be a race in Region 1 in the near future? > > > > Is there any interest from the clubs in the Region in getting together to organize some type of soaring competition possibly in preparation for organizing a race in the future? > > > > There are several members of the Connecticut Soaring Association who are looking to start getting involved in cross country and possibly races. Is the Red Baron Trophy still circulating somewhere in the region? Last I heard it was at GBSC. Spinning wheels here to help melt the snow faster. Thanks everyone for the hints and suggestions. Hopefully this will help lead to some fun non sanctioned events so we can get some experience under our belts. Then maybe we can get back to regular Region 1 Races again. Evan if I can lend a hand in your process let me know. I'd love to come visit other local clubs and compete. Greg DY

Pros and Cons of sanctioned contests.
Pros:
Likely to draw some good pilots to participate and help.
A good place to organize training to new cotest pilots.
Potential increase in activity during the contest period.
Pilots can earn ranking
Pilots likely will be challanged more than weekend flying with associated potential for learning and advancement.
Meeting some new good pilots.
Cons:
Sanction fee of $40/pilot
Need to find a competition director. Not hard to do in the northeast.
Need a scorer. Less of a problem than it used to be now that remote scoring is becoming common.
Need a contest manager- a person familiar with running contests.
It will tie up the facility for contest days.
Flying is on predetermined days so weather has a negative affect.
Some volunteers are needed for operations in addition to tow pilots. Running the contest on successive weekends can minimize this.
You gotta run the contest by the SSA rules. No biggie if you understand them.
There is some financial exposure but the current rules permit options to minimize this.

It is worth noting that running as a regional, even 3 days long, is very little extra work and may help the draw.

We run R2 North at Wurtsboro every year and draw close to 20 entrants. We run a rookie schools and actively coach the new people. We also have a 2 seat class to get some folks exposed. Each year we get 3-5 new pilots and expose a dozen or so others to contests.

Give some thought to some of this info.

UH

Greg Delp
March 3rd 14, 07:48 PM
UH,

Thanks for adding the above. I was hoping to fly during the Region 2N this year, but just like last year I will be flying a trip in Europe so will miss out again. That was one of the reasons for my original post. As a eager new cross country pilot looking to expand into racing, for the entire 2014 racing season the only possible local race I may be able to commit to is the Region 2 at Mifflin. I would love to see more races in our area just to get a better chance to attend a few more each year.

I've also been looking at Valley's XC web page among others mentioned above in an effort to create a similar fun competition system for our club as well as others close by. I love the boomerang idea and I think GBSC has a similar Red Baron trophy but haven't been able to get any specifics of it's whereabouts or if the friendly competition still even exists. Thanks again!

Greg
DY

noel.wade
March 4th 14, 12:13 AM
Don't know if Tony or UH's comments about sanctioned races were in response to my post where I mentioned a non-sanctioned event... but in case they were: Please let me clarify that I was NOT implying anything negative towards sanctioned events! Its just that a non-sanctioned event often appears less-intimidating for inexperienced organizers/volunteers. You have no set number of days you need to fly, you can allow people to use non-approved loggers, you can get away without charging an entry-fee (if you want to maximize participation and treat it as an educational event), etc.

Certainly sanctioned events can (and should be) fun & enjoyable!

--Noel

RR[_2_]
March 4th 14, 10:35 PM
Greg, I do know the whereabouts of the Red Baron trophy as I was the last to "steal it". It is currently hanging in the FBO at Sterling MA (3b3) (GBSC). Originally it was claimed by flying to the airport that had it, and you took it back with a ground retrieve. When i "took it" I few to Springfield and landed, then got a relight from Walter, and flew back home. I would like to think this would be the "new normal" that you would fly up and GBSC would give you a free 2k tow and you can fly back. But nothing wrong with just landing and taking it back with your crew.

Just a note, it will not fit in your glider on the way back. I was thinking about redesigning it for easier transport. But if you fly up to claim it, we will happily ship it back to you...

There, the gauntlet is thrown...

As for a new R1 Contest it would be great. If they are game, it seems Springfield would be the perfect place, and we do have lots of capable pilots up here to run it. So if we could coax NESA to host, and perhaps provide a CM, i am sure we can come up with a CD.

Rick Roelke / RR

Greg Delp
March 5th 14, 04:27 AM
Thanks for the info on the Red Baron Rick. I shall set out to steal it as soon as possible. I'd love to formalize the procedures so if you or someone else at GBSC is willing to talk it over let me know. I know CSA is willing to provide the free 2,000' relight too.

After flying at Springfield for a few weeks last year I'd love to see a race there. Maybe if we all make enough waves we can make it happen.

March 5th 14, 01:18 PM
On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 11:27:59 PM UTC-5, Greg Delp wrote:
> Thanks for the info on the Red Baron Rick. I shall set out to steal it as soon as possible. I'd love to formalize the procedures so if you or someone else at GBSC is willing to talk it over let me know. I know CSA is willing to provide the free 2,000' relight too.
>

> After flying at Springfield for a few weeks last year I'd love to see a race there. Maybe if we all make enough waves we can make it happen.

A perfect airport for this kind of event is in Orange, MA. I talked to the airport manager over there about organizing a contest. He was very supportive the only issue identified was weekend parachuting operation. He thought something could be arranged with them for one weekend. I thought about talking to these guys but I never quite made it there. The airport has lots of space way more than Springfield and a really nice grass runway facing westerly direction. The runway is very wide too.

cuflyer
March 5th 14, 10:23 PM
I like it. Looks like a good area

Tim
1FL

> A perfect airport for this kind of event is in Orange, MA. I talked to the airport manager over there about organizing a contest. He was very supportive the only issue identified was weekend parachuting operation. He thought something could be arranged with them for one weekend. I thought about talking to these guys but I never quite made it there. The airport has lots of space way more than Springfield and a really nice grass runway facing westerly direction. The runway is very wide too.

Greg Delp
March 6th 14, 02:29 AM
I never even considered having a fun meet or Sanctioned race at an airport that didn't have a soaring organization based there. I suppose if there is lots of room and the airport is willing to be invaded it's always a possibility. Some potential issues might include having more difficulty getting volunteers to show up away from home fields to help out. Also the tow plane(s) would have to fly in of course. Large grass runway sounds perfect though as we get to deal with runway lights and the associated hazards at Danielson. I've received several private responses as well. It almost seems like a "If we build it they will come" scenario. For anyone interested can you please talk to your other club members and report back on potential involvement? Let's make this happen and maybe we can grow a Region 1 race in the future.

cuflyer
March 10th 14, 12:36 PM
That's true. Remote (non-glider) sites are more trouble and expense (ferrying).
However, you might find that the operators are into the idea of more activity at their airport and are happy to support it.

Tim
1FL

On Wednesday, March 5, 2014 10:29:02 PM UTC-4, Greg Delp wrote:
> I never even considered having a fun meet or Sanctioned race at an airport that didn't have a soaring organization based there. I suppose if there is lots of room and the airport is willing to be invaded it's always a possibility. Some potential issues might include having more difficulty getting volunteers to show up away from home fields to help out. Also the tow plane(s) would have to fly in of course. Large grass runway sounds perfect though as we get to deal with runway lights and the associated hazards at Danielson. I've received several private responses as well. It almost seems like a "If we build it they will come" scenario. For anyone interested can you please talk to your other club members and report back on potential involvement? Let's make this happen and maybe we can grow a Region 1 race in the future.

Google