PDA

View Full Version : LFILORIGIN sentence in IGC file?

February 7th 14, 03:28 PM
A user of my new IGC logger Excel spreadsheet sent me a pair of IGC files that were clearly duplicates *except* that the first few B records of one file contained clearly bogus GPS locations (displaced a few thousand miles due east!). Naturally, this caused the dupe detection routine (which compares the first B records of each file) to fail.

While investigating the issue, I discovered that the GPS location was corrected a few seconds into the flight, and the location shift was marked by a pair of 'LFILORIGIN' sentences, as follows:

B1742333600000N13600000EV0005300000000
B1742383600000N13600000EV0005300000000
LFILORIGIN1740383600000N13600000E
LFILORIGIN1742432824200N08150270W
B1742432824200N08150270WA0005300049000

I did some Googling for 'LFILORIGIN' and 'LFIL' and anything else I could think of, all to no avail.

Anyone have any documentation on this sentence?

TIA,

Frank (TA)

Wojciech Scigala
February 7th 14, 04:08 PM
Użytkownik napisał:
> A user of my new IGC logger Excel spreadsheet sent me a pair of IGC files that were clearly duplicates *except* that the first few B records of one file contained clearly bogus GPS locations (displaced a few thousand miles due east!). Naturally, this caused the dupe detection routine (which compares the first B records of each file) to fail.
>
> While investigating the issue, I discovered that the GPS location was corrected a few seconds into the flight, and the location shift was marked by a pair of 'LFILORIGIN' sentences, as follows:
>
> B1742333600000N13600000EV0005300000000
> B1742383600000N13600000EV0005300000000
> LFILORIGIN1740383600000N13600000E
> LFILORIGIN1742432824200N08150270W
> B1742432824200N08150270WA0005300049000
>

> I did some Googling for 'LFILORIGIN' and 'LFIL' and anything else I could think of, all to no avail.
>
> Anyone have any documentation on this sentence?
All "L" sentences are non-standard and left for manufacturer imagination ;)

"LFIL" would suggest it was Filser. It won't appear in files from other FRs.

Instead of looking for this non-standard entry, check "B" records -
letter "V" after the coordinates indicate the fix is invalid. For valid
fixes, "A" is used. Simply ignore the one with "V".

--
Wojtuś

Robert Dunning
February 7th 14, 04:09 PM
Not sure if this answers your question, but it might provide a clue:
The "L" in the first character means the record is an optional "Logbook/Comment" record. The next three characters indicate the source of the comment record. FIL is the IGC code for Filsner which probably means the Filsner flight recorder added this comment record. There isn't an IGC standard for the content of comment records, so the data after "LFIL" may be specific to Filser recorders.

This info is from the IGC FR Specification document on the FAI website.

Rob

On Friday, February 7, 2014 10:28:28 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> A user of my new IGC logger Excel spreadsheet sent me a pair of IGC files that were clearly duplicates *except* that the first few B records of one file contained clearly bogus GPS locations (displaced a few thousand miles due east!). Naturally, this caused the dupe detection routine (which compares the first B records of each file) to fail.
>

> While investigating the issue, I discovered that the GPS location was corrected a few seconds into the flight, and the location shift was marked by a pair of 'LFILORIGIN' sentences, as follows:
>

> B1742333600000N13600000EV0005300000000
>
> B1742383600000N13600000EV0005300000000
>
> LFILORIGIN1740383600000N13600000E
>
> LFILORIGIN1742432824200N08150270W
>
> B1742432824200N08150270WA0005300049000
>

> I did some Googling for 'LFILORIGIN' and 'LFIL' and anything else I could think of, all to no avail.
>

> Anyone have any documentation on this sentence?
>

> TIA,
>

> Frank (TA)

February 7th 14, 05:26 PM
On Friday, February 7, 2014 11:08:37 AM UTC-5, Wojciech Scigala wrote:
> Użytkownik napisał:
>
> > A user of my new IGC logger Excel spreadsheet sent me a pair of IGC files that were clearly duplicates *except* that the first few B records of one file contained clearly bogus GPS locations (displaced a few thousand miles due east!). Naturally, this caused the dupe detection routine (which compares the first B records of each file) to fail.
>

> > While investigating the issue, I discovered that the GPS location was corrected a few seconds into the flight, and the location shift was marked by a pair of 'LFILORIGIN' sentences, as follows:
>

> > B1742333600000N13600000EV0005300000000
>
> > B1742383600000N13600000EV0005300000000
>
> > LFILORIGIN1740383600000N13600000E
>
> > LFILORIGIN1742432824200N08150270W
>
> > B1742432824200N08150270WA0005300049000
>

> > I did some Googling for 'LFILORIGIN' and 'LFIL' and anything else I could think of, all to no avail.
>

> > Anyone have any documentation on this sentence?
>
> All "L" sentences are non-standard and left for manufacturer imagination ;)
>

> "LFIL" would suggest it was Filser. It won't appear in files from other FRs.
>

> Instead of looking for this non-standard entry, check "B" records -
>
> letter "V" after the coordinates indicate the fix is invalid. For valid
>
> fixes, "A" is used. Simply ignore the one with "V".
>

> --
>
> Wojtuś

Thanks Wojtus - great idea!

Frank (TA)