PDA

View Full Version : Tow release operations/launches vs launches/starts

Jim Meade
February 9th 14, 05:37 AM
The Tost tow release system talks about 10,000 operations (Tost terminology) or actuations (FAA) vs 2,000 starts (Tost) or launches (FAA).

What constitutes an operation or actuation? Why are there five times as many (typically) as launches/starts?

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC%2043.13-2B.pdf
para 808.b

http://www.tost.de/EBugHeckkupplungen.html
Paragraph on maintenance to tow releases.

Alan[_6_]
February 9th 14, 07:00 AM
In article > Jim Meade > writes:
>The Tost tow release system talks about 10,000 operations (Tost terminology)
> or actuations (FAA) vs 2,000 starts (Tost) or launches (FAA).
>
>What constitutes an operation or actuation? Why are there five times as many
> (typically) as launches/starts?
>
>http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC%2043.13-2B.pdf
>para 808.b
>
>http://www.tost.de/EBugHeckkupplungen.html
>Paragraph on maintenance to tow releases.

Discussed in the last 2 or 3 weeks in the newsgoup.

Apparently many like to test and use the release before actual flight.

1. Peflight check (pull the handle, though I don't know how many
watch for the actual action of the device).

2. Pull the release handle to open the latch to connect to golf cart
to tow out to runway.

3. Pull the release handle to release from the golf cart.

4. Pull the release handle to open latch to connect to tow rope.

5. Pull the release handle to release from tow.

Looks like 5 actuations for a flight, or 2 if landing and stopping
ready to hook up for tow.

10000 cycles seems a eally short service life for a spring.
Are they just built really lightly, or is it extra revenue?

Alan

Google