PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Scenario #3 - Urgent Action required!

WAVEGURU
February 9th 14, 11:16 AM
You passenger is all buckled up in the sailplane, and you have pushed out onto the runway. The tow plane has pulled up in front of you and is ready to go. Just before you get into the glider yourself, you feel a little fart coming on. To save the passenger from the noxious fumes, you decide to squeak it out betore getting in, but when you do, what come out is more than just gas. What do you do now?

Boggs

WAVEGURU
February 9th 14, 11:49 AM
Because my butt is covered in a very thick fur, I thought that I could maintain containment, so I got in the front seat of my 2-32 and proceeded with my take off check list. As I closed and locked the canopy, I tested the air for any evidence of my leakage. So far I think I'm safe. Take off was smooth, but I was surprised at how hard it was to concentrate on my flying. I was distracted and I could feel the containment plan failing, but the ride was uneventful and the landing was ok. During the exit from the plane I was careful to keep the passerger in front of me. My house is right across the street from the airport so I was able to shower and change before the next ride. Never trust a fart!

son_of_flubber
February 9th 14, 03:53 PM
I'd like to think that I would pull the glider off the line, excuse myself and remedy the situation. But to avoid embarrassment, I might hop in the glider and fly with the distraction. Would I be proud of that decision? Probably not.

My urge to minimize my embarrassment makes me less safe.

I contemplate doing the following as a self-training exercise on a not_so_busy_day:

1)pull the release as the tow plane is taking up the slack.
2)get out and pull the glider off the line.
3)provide no explanation to on-lookers.
4)learn that being embarrassed on the launch line is not the end of the world.
5)learn that one does not need to explain a decision to not launch.
6)learn that one should not hesitate to abort a launch.
7)if I feel excessively embarrassed by 1-3, or if someone gives me flack, plan to repeat at some future date.

A few days later, I would explain to the tow pilot that I am training myself to not hesitate to abort launch.

Clay[_4_]
February 9th 14, 04:19 PM
At least you weren't filming the Aviator's segment!

WAVEGURU
February 11th 14, 03:48 AM
Well, I thought at least a few of you might have thought this was funny?

Boggs

JJ Sinclair[_2_]
February 11th 14, 01:36 PM
On Monday, February 10, 2014 7:48:18 PM UTC-8, Waveguru wrote:
> Well, I thought at least a few of you might have thought this was funny?
>

> Boggs

Its funny Gary, but not as good as your card tricks!
JJ

WB
February 11th 14, 04:31 PM
On Monday, February 10, 2014 9:48:18 PM UTC-6, Waveguru wrote:
> Well, I thought at least a few of you might have thought this was funny?
>

> Boggs

Well, give me a moment. I'm still blowing what's left of my soda out of my sinuses and trying to clean up my keyboard.

WB
February 11th 14, 04:35 PM
On Sunday, February 9, 2014 5:49:50 AM UTC-6, Waveguru wrote:

> Never trust a fart!

So said one of my late colleagues. He had a number of stories and sayings concerning his considerable issues with lower bowel (dys)function. He was frequently heard to say: "I was so loose, I could crap through a screen door and not hit the screen". I declined to fly in his Warrior with him.

February 11th 14, 06:07 PM
On Monday, February 10, 2014 10:48:18 PM UTC-5, Waveguru wrote:
> Well, I thought at least a few of you might have thought this was funny? Boggs

Easily the most enlightening thread in the series.
UH

Scott Calvert[_2_]
February 11th 14, 06:12 PM
At 03:48 11 February 2014, Waveguru wrote:
>Well, I thought at least a few of you might have thought this was
funny?

>Boggs

I sure did!

Paul Cordell
February 11th 14, 07:45 PM
Having Flown many times with Gary, I find it confusing that No one saw the Obvious. I always put Gary in the Back seat and there was Never a problem!

http://i.imgur.com/5gFbpYZ.jpg

Scott Calvert[_2_]
February 11th 14, 07:55 PM
At 03:48 11 February 2014, Waveguru wrote:
>Well, I thought at least a few of you might have thought this was
funny?

>Boggs
>I sure did!

Scott Calvert[_2_]
February 11th 14, 07:56 PM
At 03:48 11 February 2014, Waveguru wrote:
>Well, I thought at least a few of you might have thought this was
funny?

>Boggs
>I sure did!

Dave Martin[_3_]
February 13th 14, 11:33 PM
Some years ago I heard an Upper Gunner on a Lancaster
Bomber interviewed about his experiences during WW11.

On one flight into Germany he asked to lef his position to use
the toilet I belive they had an Elsan on board. The reply came
back, "Permission refused!" As they were close to the target.
The mission was completed and on the return journey the
Captain remembered the dilemma and called the gunner and
gave permission for him to leave his turret, he replied "Don't
worry its set."

interviewedAt 11:49 09 February 2014, Waveguru wrote:
>Because my butt is covered in a very thick fur, I thought that I
could
>main=
>tain containment, so I got in the front seat of my 2-32 and
proceeded with
>=
>my take off check list. As I closed and locked the canopy, I
tested the
>air=
> for any evidence of my leakage. So far I think I'm safe. Take
off was
>smoo=
>th, but I was surprised at how hard it was to concentrate on
my flying. I
>w=
>as distracted and I could feel the containment plan failing, but
the ride
>w=
>as uneventful and the landing was ok. During the exit from the
plane I was
>=
>careful to keep the passerger in front of me. My house is right
across the
>=
>street from the airport so I was able to shower and change
before the next
>=
>ride. Never trust a fart!

flgliderpilot[_2_]
February 15th 14, 02:04 AM
On Sunday, February 9, 2014 6:16:48 AM UTC-5, Waveguru wrote:
> You passenger is all buckled up in the sailplane, and you have pushed out onto the runway. The tow plane has pulled up in front of you and is ready to go. Just before you get into the glider yourself, you feel a little fart coming on. To save the passenger from the noxious fumes, you decide to squeak it out betore getting in, but when you do, what come out is more than just gas. What do you do now?
>

> Boggs

Are you making fun of me? I just happens sometimes, usually when I am on a long bridge.

Google