PDA

View Full Version : Alexis Inn page down...

Sam
May 15th 04, 03:45 PM
Jay,

I've been trying to access your page (av videos) for a couple of days
now... Did you know it's down?

Jay Honeck
May 15th 04, 03:54 PM
> I've been trying to access your page (av videos) for a couple of days
> now... Did you know it's down?

Hmmm. It works for me.

Try http://www.alexisparkinn.com/aviation_videos.htm
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Sam
May 15th 04, 06:47 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message news:<Raqpc.15780$6f5.1339966@attbi_s54>...
> > I've been trying to access your page (av videos) for a couple of days
> > now... Did you know it's down?
>
> Hmmm. It works for me.
>
> Try http://www.alexisparkinn.com/aviation_videos.htm

Strange... I can access it from work but not from home.

Tom Sixkiller
May 15th 04, 08:53 PM
"Sam" > wrote in message
om...
> "Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > > I've been trying to access your page (av videos) for a couple of days
> > > now... Did you know it's down?
> >
> > Hmmm. It works for me.
> >
> > Try http://www.alexisparkinn.com/aviation_videos.htm
>
> Strange... I can access it from work but not from home.

Your kids must be STRICT sys administrators.

Bob Fry
May 16th 04, 01:34 AM
(Sam) writes:

> Strange... I can access it from work but not from home.

You might have picked up a browser hijacker.

Sam
May 16th 04, 02:20 AM
"Tom Sixkiller" > wrote in message >...
> "Sam" > wrote in message
> om...
> > "Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > Hmmm. It works for me.
> > >
> > > Try http://www.alexisparkinn.com/aviation_videos.htm
> >
> > Strange... I can access it from work but not from home.
>
> Your kids must be STRICT sys administrators.

I know, strange isn't it? I've noticed that I can't d/l from a few
other places w/ the home network that I have no problem accessing at
work. Must be a firewall setting or something, but it's so hit and
miss.

Andrew Gideon
May 16th 04, 06:21 PM
Sam wrote:

> I know, strange isn't it? I've noticed that I can't d/l from a few
> other places w/ the home network that I have no problem accessing at
> work. Must be a firewall setting or something, but it's so hit and
> miss.

It's possible that your firewall has some content filtering that's blocking
out these pages. I remember when one couldn't access pages about Essex
County from certain libraries.

[Actually, I should point out that I don't know that this is no longer true
everwhere.]

Another possibility is that there's something "wrong" with your home
connection that is being flagged and disallowed by the web servers
delivering that pages you cannot see. I don't consider this likely, but it
is a possibility. Such checks are becoming fairly common on mail servers,
and some system administrator might be overreacting.

Alternatively, it may be a browser setting. I don't have flash enabled, for
example, on my home browser. So I cannot access any site which requires
it. Similar issues exist for Java, Javascript, InactiveX, etc.

Or perhaps your home ISP has damaged the DNS they're providing to you. My
home DSL provided did this to me once. They're actually quite good at the
networking (my DSL is far more reliable than most, if the complaints are to
be believed), but at "extras" like DNS or USENET they're pretty poor.

- Andrew

Jay Honeck
May 16th 04, 09:39 PM
> It's possible that your firewall has some content filtering that's
blocking
> out these pages. I remember when one couldn't access pages about Essex
> County from certain libraries.

Just the other day I ran into something similar. No matter what I tried, I
couldn't get video to play off of some Yahoo news site.

Turned out I had my "pop-up blocker" software running, and it was treating
the video play-back exactly like a pop-up ad.

Soon as I turned off the pop-up blocker, voila! Everything (including the
damned ads) worked perfectly.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

BTIZ
May 17th 04, 03:59 AM
that's what pop up blockers do.. they don't know if its and add or a
requested service.. some web coupon services do the same thing.. and with
the pop up blocker turned on.. the mrs could not get her grocery coupons..

BT

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > It's possible that your firewall has some content filtering that's
> blocking
> > out these pages. I remember when one couldn't access pages about Essex
> > County from certain libraries.
>
> Just the other day I ran into something similar. No matter what I tried,
> couldn't get video to play off of some Yahoo news site.
>
> Turned out I had my "pop-up blocker" software running, and it was treating
> the video play-back exactly like a pop-up ad.
>
> Soon as I turned off the pop-up blocker, voila! Everything (including
the
> damned ads) worked perfectly.
> --
> Jay Honeck