PDA

View Full Version : Dauphin Island PIREP

Michael C Finke
May 16th 04, 03:43 AM
Thanks to those who recommended Dauphin Island, Alabama, for our flying &
camping vacation. It was a delightful break; the people down there are
wonderful. And we lucked out with the weather. Since I was asked to
provide a PIREP, here goes, in brief:

First, as regards approaching the island, since much of the reaction to my
posting focused on this question: from the north we went in with radar
service from Mobile approach. They took us through the Class C with
minute deviations from a straight line and plenty of time for descent.
With a lot of helicopter traffic in the area, you need to watch out. The
unattended airstrip has about a half-dozen tie downs, and plenty of space
for more parking. There is water and a payphone at the strip; camping is
allowed on the airport grounds, but there is no shade, lots of bugs, and
you're on the Mobile Bay side of the island-we went to the island
campground. There are no taxis on the island, but the campground will
send a truck to pick you up if you call; we got a ride back to the plane
with all our gear from the local police, who happened to be at the
campground when my wife went to ask about a ride. Many of the restaurants
on the island will also provide transportation; several folks flew in for
hundred dollar seafood platters at Seafood Galley while we were there-you
call and they come, though you could also walk it in 15 minutes, and the
food is great.

D. I. is a quiet place. Great for fishing and crabbing and walking on the
beach; there is a Civil War era fort and a nice little aquarium that kids
will like. The water is shallow and warm-good for small children. Take
bikes if you can-a bike path runs the length of the island, and you will
enjoy exploring. Rentals are available at the campground and at an
operation in "town." The campground was quite empty during the week, but
filled up for the weekend-lots of kids, noise of a pleasant sort. Some
young folk that pitched their tent for all-night partying were summarily
kicked out (the guy was so drunk he could hardly stand up while striking
camp and he left his tent poles behind)-a very well run campground.

It's a short flight to Pensacola, and we made a daytrip to the Naval Air
Museum. We flew into Ferguson-small private field under a 700-foot-floor
cutout in the inner ring of Pensacola Class C. You'll want to use radar
service, and by all means, keep on your toes with both scan and
communications. Family-owned airport for something like half a century,
recently back under management, too, of the Fergusons. Great people, nice
operation, reasonably priced fuel, lovely turf strip alongside the narrow
asphalt one, fantastic service: they will give you a free ride to the
museum and pick you up IMMEDIATELY when you are ready to leave; and Mr.
Ferguson very kindly attended the damage on my wingtip caused by an
unfortunate encounter with a Snowy Egret on take-off from Dauphin Island
(an egrettable incident...) with some 200-mph tape (and refused payment).

In sum, highly recommended!

--Mike

Dan Luke
May 16th 04, 02:53 PM
"Michael C Finke" wrote:
> (an egrettable incident...)

Tee-hee!

gatt
May 17th 04, 07:58 PM
"Michael C Finke" > wrote in message news:c86kg4$

> Ferguson very kindly attended the damage on my wingtip caused by an
> unfortunate encounter with a Snowy Egret

Wow, man. You hit a rare bird and didn't come back to find
environmentalists chained to your prop. Oh...yeah...they're even more
rare than snowy egrets in Alabama.

> In sum, highly recommended!

I enjoyed reading the report! Thanks!

-c

Edward Todd
May 18th 04, 12:12 AM
In article >,
(Michael C Finke) wrote:

> Thanks to those who recommended Dauphin Island, Alabama, for our flying &
> camping vacation. It was a delightful break; the people down there are
> wonderful.

http://www.100dollarhamburger.com/4r9.html

..

G.R. Patterson III
May 18th 04, 12:21 AM
gatt wrote:

> Wow, man. You hit a rare bird and didn't come back to find
> environmentalists chained to your prop.

Snowy Egrets aren't particularly rare anymore. Thank God plumes on ladies hats went
out of fashion!

George Patterson
I childproofed my house, but they *still* get in.

Google