PDA

View Full Version : Airventure get-togethers

Morgans
May 19th 04, 06:34 AM
How will us RAP's and ilk find each other's location, since no one knows
where they will be until they land?

Is there a message board in the north 40? Will anyone have internet
connections while there for the week, and what will the addresses be?

Questions, questions. I'm starting into planning mode. I missed last year,
due to surgery, and am really looking forward to it.

If anyone is interested, I will be in the Aviation Explorers camp, which is
between the CAP camp, and the warbird RV and camping site.

I plan on roughing it <g>this year, and taking my work van, with a quick,
air conditioned, RV conversion, as soon as I get all of our group's gear out
of it. I might be bringing a tow-behind, 100 burger grill for the Explorer
Base to use, and I might be able to free it up for an evening, if anyone
(Jay) is interested.

---

Jay Honeck
May 19th 04, 04:07 PM
> How will us RAP's and ilk find each other's location, since no one knows
> where they will be until they land?

We are once again planning a "rec.aviation" party at our campsite in the
North 40. The inaugural event, held last year at OSH, was well-attended and
everyone had a great time! Admission is a six-pack of good beer!

(See pix of this event at
http://alexisparkinn.com/rogue's_gallery_i_-_p.htm#OSHKOSH You've got to
scroll down past the OTHER Oshkosh party, a pool party which will be held
this year on July 25th... :-)

In order to find someone in the North 40, all you need is either their name,
or their tail number (the tail number is more reliable). Go to the good
EAA folks at the camper check-in tent (at the entrance to the North 40), and
give them the information. They will tell you the precise row number and
campsite of the person you are trying to find!

Re: The Big Grill. Could you transport it to our campsite, or would we have
to move the party to the grill? :-)

Montblack is (was?) planning on bringing grills, but he seems to be AWOL
from the groups for the last couple of months...so we may need other
options?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

"Morgans" > wrote in message

> Is there a message board in the north 40? Will anyone have internet
> connections while there for the week, and what will the addresses be?
>
> Questions, questions. I'm starting into planning mode. I missed last
year,
> due to surgery, and am really looking forward to it.
>
> If anyone is interested, I will be in the Aviation Explorers camp, which
is
> between the CAP camp, and the warbird RV and camping site.
>
> I plan on roughing it <g>this year, and taking my work van, with a quick,
> air conditioned, RV conversion, as soon as I get all of our group's gear
out
> of it. I might be bringing a tow-behind, 100 burger grill for the
Explorer
> Base to use, and I might be able to free it up for an evening, if anyone
> (Jay) is interested.
>

> ---

Bob Chilcoat
May 19th 04, 05:26 PM
I won't be there, but just a suggestion. How about everyone bring FRS
radios and agree to monitor one frequency? That would make it pretty easy
to find everyone, at any time, even if the frequency was congested (probably
likely).

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love
America

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > How will us RAP's and ilk find each other's location, since no one knows
> > where they will be until they land?
>
> We are once again planning a "rec.aviation" party at our campsite in the
> North 40. The inaugural event, held last year at OSH, was well-attended
and
> everyone had a great time! Admission is a six-pack of good beer!
>
> (See pix of this event at
> http://alexisparkinn.com/rogue's_gallery_i_-_p.htm#OSHKOSH You've got to
> scroll down past the OTHER Oshkosh party, a pool party which will be held
> this year on July 25th... :-)
>
> In order to find someone in the North 40, all you need is either their
name,
> or their tail number (the tail number is more reliable). Go to the good
> EAA folks at the camper check-in tent (at the entrance to the North 40),
and
> give them the information. They will tell you the precise row number and
> campsite of the person you are trying to find!
>
> Re: The Big Grill. Could you transport it to our campsite, or would we
have
> to move the party to the grill? :-)
>
> Montblack is (was?) planning on bringing grills, but he seems to be AWOL
> from the groups for the last couple of months...so we may need other
> options?
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"
>
> "Morgans" > wrote in message
> >
> > Is there a message board in the north 40? Will anyone have internet
> > connections while there for the week, and what will the addresses be?
> >
> > Questions, questions. I'm starting into planning mode. I missed last
> year,
> > due to surgery, and am really looking forward to it.
> >
> > If anyone is interested, I will be in the Aviation Explorers camp, which
> is
> > between the CAP camp, and the warbird RV and camping site.
> >
> > I plan on roughing it <g>this year, and taking my work van, with a
quick,
> > air conditioned, RV conversion, as soon as I get all of our group's gear
> out
> > of it. I might be bringing a tow-behind, 100 burger grill for the
> Explorer
> > Base to use, and I might be able to free it up for an evening, if anyone
> > (Jay) is interested.
> >

> > ---

Jack Allison
May 19th 04, 05:31 PM
Jay - might I suggest a "sign-in" thread like last year where everyone
replies w/ tail numbers, planned camping (or <gasp> dorm) location, etc?
Seemed to be quite useful last year.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Jim Weir
May 19th 04, 06:48 PM
Another suggestion...Gail and I are doing two forums again this year...noon on
Thursday and 10 am on Friday in forums tent #5 (Aviation Shopper tent). How
about after the forums at the entrance to the tent? That is a date, time, and
place certain and we wouldn't have to be dicking around finding each other on a
radio channel.

Or both. Is there an FRS channel that is less likely to be congested than
another?

Jim

"Bob Chilcoat" >

->I won't be there, but just a suggestion. How about everyone bring FRS
->radios and agree to monitor one frequency? That would make it pretty easy
->to find everyone, at any time, even if the frequency was congested (probably
->likely).

http://www.rst-engr.com

Dave S
May 20th 04, 01:48 AM
Two years ago I went up to the registration booth on the north 40 and
asked for registered campers locations by first and last name. Of the
folks (from here) that I intended to meet, I had the pleasure of meeting
Jay Honeck and his wife (and the kids but they were heading for bed)..

If you are trying to meet up with folks you can put the heads up now on
here, with your tail number and or proper name and people will be able
to find you.

Dave
Houston, TX

Morgans wrote:
> How will us RAP's and ilk find each other's location, since no one knows
> where they will be until they land?
>
> Is there a message board in the north 40? Will anyone have internet
> connections while there for the week, and what will the addresses be?
>
> Questions, questions. I'm starting into planning mode. I missed last year,
> due to surgery, and am really looking forward to it.
>
> If anyone is interested, I will be in the Aviation Explorers camp, which is
> between the CAP camp, and the warbird RV and camping site.
>
> I plan on roughing it <g>this year, and taking my work van, with a quick,
> air conditioned, RV conversion, as soon as I get all of our group's gear out
> of it. I might be bringing a tow-behind, 100 burger grill for the Explorer
> Base to use, and I might be able to free it up for an evening, if anyone
> (Jay) is interested.
>

> ---

Margy Natalie
May 20th 04, 04:26 AM
Many years ago there was an informal "meet at the tower at noon" crowd. That
crowd thinned out, but it may be time to start it up again. I'm sure those
bringing cars would have lots of friends (and a few drinks for sure) if they met
up with flying folks to go out to dinner at a real restaurant!

Margy

Bob Chilcoat wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > Is there a message board in the north 40? Will anyone have internet
> > > connections while there for the week, and what will the addresses be?
> > >
> > > Questions, questions. I'm starting into planning mode. I missed last
> > year,
> > > due to surgery, and am really looking forward to it.
> > >
> > > If anyone is interested, I will be in the Aviation Explorers camp, which
> > is
> > > between the CAP camp, and the warbird RV and camping site.
> > >
> > > I plan on roughing it <g>this year, and taking my work van, with a
> quick,
> > > air conditioned, RV conversion, as soon as I get all of our group's gear
> > out
> > > of it. I might be bringing a tow-behind, 100 burger grill for the
> > Explorer
> > > Base to use, and I might be able to free it up for an evening, if anyone

Blanche
May 20th 04, 05:36 AM
The Piper Parade has traditionally met at High Noon under the
tail of the largest aircraft being displayed. Couple years ago
it was the 747. Forgot what it was last year.

Advantage -- really easy to find the airplane!

Jay Honeck
May 20th 04, 02:12 PM
> Another suggestion...Gail and I are doing two forums again this
year...noon on
> Thursday and 10 am on Friday in forums tent #5 (Aviation Shopper tent).
How
> about after the forums at the entrance to the tent? That is a date, time,
and
> place certain and we wouldn't have to be dicking around finding each other
on a
> radio channel.

I agree we should all meet at Jim's forum. We can exchange information on
the location of our campsite at that stage. (The party is after the
afternoon airshow...probably on Thursday, but we're still debating the best
day at this stage. Any consensus here?)

However, I know how hard it is to actually get to a spot at OSH at a
specific time -- especially in the morning. There is so much to see, and
the grounds are so huge, that sometimes you aim for 10 AM, and hit 11 AM.

So, for those who don't make Jim's forum, go to the campground registration
tent after the airshow, and give 'em my tail number, N56993. They'll direct
you from there.

> Is there an FRS channel that is less likely to be congested than
> another?

We used these radios successfully a few years ago, before they became
ubiquitous. Last year we couldn't find a frequency that wasn't jammed.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay Honeck
May 20th 04, 02:14 PM
> Jay - might I suggest a "sign-in" thread like last year where everyone
> replies w/ tail numbers, planned camping (or <gasp> dorm) location, etc?
> Seemed to be quite useful last year.

Yep. We'll have to do that, as we get a bit closer. I think people are
still making plans at this stage
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay Honeck
May 20th 04, 02:41 PM
> The Piper Parade has traditionally met at High Noon

What's the "Piper Parade"?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Blanche
May 20th 04, 05:16 PM
Jay Honeck > wrote:

>What's the "Piper Parade"?

Last year a group of Piper folk decided that the Bo's shouldn't
have all the fun and organized a flight into OSH for the show. Not
doing it this year -- awful lot of effort (thank you Stan!) with
LOA with FAA and OSH and everything else. I believe 30 or so
aircraft participated. And then there were those (like me) that
took a 747...(and didn't get flooded in the storm...)

No fly-in this year but for a number of years, it's been
either meet at the tail of the big airplane or at one of the
vendor's booths (First Pryority Bank) if they are at the show.

Jack Allison
May 20th 04, 07:22 PM
Figured it was on your "to do" list as things get closer. I thought it
worked out great last year.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Morgans
May 20th 04, 09:28 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote

> In order to find someone in the North 40, all you need is either their
name,
> or their tail number (the tail number is more reliable). Go to the good
> EAA folks at the camper check-in tent (at the entrance to the North 40),
and
> give them the information. They will tell you the precise row number and
> campsite of the person you are trying to find!

Great. I didn't know that.

> Re: The Big Grill. Could you transport it to our campsite, or would we
have
> to move the party to the grill? :-)

Do they allow cars or tractors to mingle with the airplanes in the north 40?
If so, yes, I can move it to you.

> Montblack is (was?) planning on bringing grills, but he seems to be AWOL
> from the groups for the last couple of months...so we may need other
> options?
> --
> Jay Honeck

Do you want me to plan on it, or wait a bit?
--
Jim in NC

---

EDR
May 21st 04, 12:36 AM
In article >, Morgans
> wrote:

> > Re: The Big Grill. Could you transport it to our campsite, or would we
> have to move the party to the grill? :-)

> Do they allow cars or tractors to mingle with the airplanes in the north 40?
> If so, yes, I can move it to you.

If Jay parks where he did last year, I will be accessible from the
Hilton parking lot.

Jay Honeck
May 21st 04, 02:14 AM
> Do they allow cars or tractors to mingle with the airplanes in the north
40?

Well, yes and no. Montblack managed to simply drive out on the field last
year, either through bluff or luck. (I think he was wearing a "volunteer"
t-shirt that gave him carte blanche pretty much everywhere -- even though it
was from another fly-in!)

Usually the answer is no, however

> Do you want me to plan on it, or wait a bit?

Well, I don't see how we can go wrong with too many grills? :-) Why not
plan on it?

Thanks!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Morgans
May 21st 04, 04:43 AM
"EDR" > wrote in message
> In article >, Morgans
> > wrote:
>
> > > Re: The Big Grill. Could you transport it to our campsite, or would
we
> > have to move the party to the grill? :-)
>
> > Do they allow cars or tractors to mingle with the airplanes in the north
40?
> > If so, yes, I can move it to you.
>
> If Jay parks where he did last year, I will be accessible from the
> Hilton parking lot.

Uhh, sorry, I didn't follow that. What does your accessibility have to do
with the equation, and what does your accessibility from the Hilton have to
do with the moving of non airplanes around the north 40?
--
Jim in NC

---

Morgans
May 21st 04, 04:50 AM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > Do they allow cars or tractors to mingle with the airplanes in the north
> 40?
>
> Well, yes and no. Montblack managed to simply drive out on the field last
> year, either through bluff or luck. (I think he was wearing a "volunteer"
> t-shirt that gave him carte blanche pretty much everywhere -- even though
it
> was from another fly-in!)
>
> Usually the answer is no, however

Well, I am in luck. I have the orang vest and orange floppy hat that I wear
when I am working point on the taxiways, so THAT might do it.

> > Do you want me to plan on it, or wait a bit?
>
> Well, I don't see how we can go wrong with too many grills? :-) Why not
> plan on it?
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Jay Honeck

Uhh, I don't think you understand the magnitude of this grill. I can cook
enough burgers to feed a "hundred" people in about an hour. I will plan on
bringing it, but IF it can get in, no other people need to mess with
bringing theirs.
--
Jim in NC

---

Jay Honeck
May 21st 04, 02:12 PM
> > If Jay parks where he did last year, I will be accessible from the
> > Hilton parking lot.
>
> Uhh, sorry, I didn't follow that.

Well, the idea is a good one, but in practice it's quite unlikely.

Last year we were parked right near the edge of the grounds, by the Hilton.
It was easy to park a car in their lot (or a pull-behind grill) and come
right up to our campsite.

Unfortunately, where you end up camping is dictated mostly by sheer luck and
chance. If you arrive early, you camp close. If you arrive in the middle,
you camp far away. If you arrive late, you MIGHT camp close OR far away...

So, the odds of getting parked near the Hilton again are not very good.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Google