PDA

View Full Version : Allergies and flying...

Jay Honeck
May 25th 04, 02:43 PM
On Sunday we spent all day outside, getting the pool ready at the inn. It is
shaded by giant river birch trees, which -- at this time of year -- are
shedding lots of little flakes of pollen (?).

I'm apparently violently allergic to this tree pollen. My eyes swelled
shut, and stayed that way for a couple of days. Allegra, my usual
FAA-approved medicine (which I use for late-summer hay fever), didn't help.

Can anyone recommend any other FAA-approved allergy medicines?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Ishtar Kabibble
May 25th 04, 02:53 PM
Your doctor or allergist comes immediately to mind.

-0-

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message

> Can anyone recommend any other FAA-approved allergy medicines?
> --

David Megginson
May 25th 04, 02:55 PM
Jay Honeck wrote:

> I'm apparently violently allergic to this tree pollen. My eyes swelled
> shut, and stayed that way for a couple of days. Allegra, my usual
> FAA-approved medicine (which I use for late-summer hay fever), didn't help.

I think that if my allergic reaction were that severe, I'd probably ground
myself for a week or two until the pollen died down. What if your
medication seemed to work until you were alone in the plane at 3,000 ft, and
then your eyes suddenly swelled shut again? Usenet would be more boring for
all of us without you, Jay.

It might also be worth talking to your doctor about carrying an epi-pen
(sp?) with you in the cockpit. If you ever started getting another severe
reaction to something, you could give yourself a quick jab to get it under
control to let you land safely.

All the best,

David

G.R. Patterson III
May 25th 04, 03:20 PM
Jay Honeck wrote:

> Can anyone recommend any other FAA-approved allergy medicines?

Allergy shots.

George Patterson
I childproofed my house, but they *still* get in.

Michelle P
May 25th 04, 03:29 PM
Jay,
a dust mask is approved and removable when you visit the AME ;-)
Michelle

Jay Honeck wrote:

>On Sunday we spent all day outside, getting the pool ready at the inn. It is
>shaded by giant river birch trees, which -- at this time of year -- are
>shedding lots of little flakes of pollen (?).
>
>I'm apparently violently allergic to this tree pollen. My eyes swelled
>shut, and stayed that way for a couple of days. Allegra, my usual
>FAA-approved medicine (which I use for late-summer hay fever), didn't help.
>
>Can anyone recommend any other FAA-approved allergy medicines?

--

Michelle P ATP-ASEL, CP-AMEL, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity

Jay Honeck
May 25th 04, 03:54 PM
>What if your medication seemed to work until you
> were alone in the plane at 3,000 ft, and
> then your eyes suddenly swelled shut again?

A couple of comments:

1. Okay, so I may have exaggerated a bit. My eyes were extremely swollen,
and I looked like the Devil incarnate -- but I could still see out of them.

2. In my experience, my allergies completely go away above pattern altitude.
Not much pollen up there, I guess.

Thanks for the suggestions.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay Honeck
May 25th 04, 03:56 PM
> > Can anyone recommend any other FAA-approved allergy medicines?
>
> Allergy shots.

I went through those several years ago, in an attempt to get rid of my
allergy to cats, timothy grass, and ragweed.

In about the third week of shots, I had a really nasty reaction that
required a shot of adrenaline in the butt to cure. .

After that I decided that sneezing wasn't so bad...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Mike Rapoport
May 25th 04, 04:09 PM
Jay, the best solution for allergies is to get the allergens out of the air.
You need an electronic air filter which uses charged plates to clean the air
of particulates. Honeywell makes them and they are about $700 installed
where your regular fiberglass filter is now. I have found that I can spend
about five hours a day exposed to things that I am allergic to if I spend
the rest of the time in an allergen free area. That is during the peak of
the pollen cycle, the rest of the year I can be exposed longer. Those times
are without any medication. Your reaction sounds more severe than any I
have had but spending less time exposed to allergens will help and your
current medication may then be adequate. Good luck!

http://content.honeywell.com/yourhome/eiac-air_cleaners/f50.htm

Mike
MU-2

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> On Sunday we spent all day outside, getting the pool ready at the inn. It
is
> shaded by giant river birch trees, which -- at this time of year -- are
> shedding lots of little flakes of pollen (?).
>
> I'm apparently violently allergic to this tree pollen. My eyes swelled
> shut, and stayed that way for a couple of days. Allegra, my usual
> FAA-approved medicine (which I use for late-summer hay fever), didn't
help.

> Can anyone recommend any other FAA-approved allergy medicines?
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

leslie
May 25th 04, 04:44 PM
:
: I'm apparently violently allergic to this tree pollen. My eyes swelled
: shut, and stayed that way for a couple of days. Allegra, my usual
: FAA-approved medicine (which I use for late-summer hay fever), didn't help.
:
: Can anyone recommend any other FAA-approved allergy medicines?
:

Sleeping in a room without allergens helps:

http://www.niaid.nih.gov/factsheets/dustfree.htm
How to Create a Dust-Free Bedroom, NIAID Fact Sheet

My roommate suffers from allergies and has pillow and mattress casings
for dust mites, and a HEPA filter that can even deal with cigarette smoke:

http://www.allergyconsumerreview.com/hepa-air-purifier.html
IQAir Hepa Air Purifier with Hepa Filter Review

"The IQair hepa air filter is a new entrant into the market place from
Switzerland. It is a testament to precision Swiss engineering. The
company behind it is in the hospital clean room business..."

http://store.yahoo.com/allergybuyersclub/iqair.html
IQAir Air Purifiers - HealthPro Plus - HEPA, VOC, Gas Control

--Jerry Leslie
Note: is invalid for email

Paul Sengupta
May 25th 04, 05:26 PM
"leslie" > wrote in message
> My roommate suffers from allergies and has pillow and mattress casings
> for dust mites, and a HEPA filter that can even deal with cigarette smoke:
>

> http://www.allergyconsumerreview.com/hepa-air-purifier.html
> IQAir Hepa Air Purifier with Hepa Filter Review
>
> "The IQair hepa air filter is a new entrant into the market place from
> Switzerland. It is a testament to precision Swiss engineering. The
> company behind it is in the hospital clean room business..."

Dyson vacuum cleaners have them.

http://www.dyson.co.uk/

Paul

Newps
May 25th 04, 06:08 PM
The Non drowsy Sudafed is also on the approved list. I have used that alot
over the years.

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> On Sunday we spent all day outside, getting the pool ready at the inn. It
is
> shaded by giant river birch trees, which -- at this time of year -- are
> shedding lots of little flakes of pollen (?).
>
> I'm apparently violently allergic to this tree pollen. My eyes swelled
> shut, and stayed that way for a couple of days. Allegra, my usual
> FAA-approved medicine (which I use for late-summer hay fever), didn't
help.

> Can anyone recommend any other FAA-approved allergy medicines?
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Pixel Dent
May 25th 04, 06:09 PM
In article <v6Jsc.114175$xw3.6706572@attbi_s04>,
"Jay Honeck" > wrote:

> 1. Okay, so I may have exaggerated a bit. My eyes were extremely swollen,
> and I looked like the Devil incarnate -- but I could still see out of them.

Give Loratadine a shot (brand name is Claritin, but it's available
cheaper as a generic). I was on Allegra for years, switch to Loratadine
when it went OTC. It seems to work a bit better for me.

> 2. In my experience, my allergies completely go away above pattern altitude.
> Not much pollen up there, I guess.

My experience is the same as yours. When my allergies are really bad I
go flying.

Wdtabor
May 25th 04, 06:34 PM
In article >,
(leslie) writes:

>: I'm apparently violently allergic to this tree pollen. My eyes swelled
>: shut, and stayed that way for a couple of days. Allegra, my usual
>: FAA-approved medicine (which I use for late-summer hay fever), didn't help.
>:
>: Can anyone recommend any other FAA-approved allergy medicines?
>:
>
>Sleeping in a room without allergens helps:

You can, to a large extent, "allergy proof" yourself for the duration of the
pollen season by following a daily regimen starting at the very first reports
of pollen in the Spring.

Twice each day, follow this procedure:

1. Wash out yor nose with a saline nasal spray. Let it soak a while and then
blow your nose.

2. Put 2 squirts of NasalCrom sray into each nostril and resist the urge to
sneeze till it soaks in.

Do it every day at the same two times, it does nothing to help symptons when
you have them, it is a preventive measure.

The NasalCrom is a Mast Cell inhibitor, those are the cells that mediate the
allergic reaction. You would not want to suppress them year round, as they play
a part in the immune system, but for the couple of months that they are the
problem rather than a part of the solution, it can make a big difference in how
you will function and how much other medication you will need.

--
Wm. Donald (Don) Tabor Jr., DDS
PP-ASEL

gatt
May 25th 04, 07:17 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message news:j4Isc.57787

> I'm apparently violently allergic to this tree pollen.

*sniff*

> Can anyone recommend any other FAA-approved allergy medicines?

Claritin is FAA-approved, I believe. I use the two pretty much
interchangeably with no side effect. Plus, it's non-prescription now.

-c

May 25th 04, 07:29 PM
On Tue, 25 May 2004 13:43:43 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
> wrote:

>I'm apparently violently allergic to this tree pollen. My eyes swelled
>shut, and stayed that way for a couple of days. Allegra, my usual
>FAA-approved medicine (which I use for late-summer hay fever), didn't help.
>
>Can anyone recommend any other FAA-approved allergy medicines?

Jay, I found myself allergic to grass pollen. This didn't really
happen until I hit around 40 or so. I suffered with the summer
allergy for a number of years before finally going to an allergist.
Did the pin prick test and found out what was the culprit.

The doctor recommended and prescribed Flonase, and I've considered it
a miracle drug ever since. No symptoms, no sneezing, just normal
life.

By the way, Jimmy Doolittle also had allergies. He also commented
that the only relief he got was to fly above it. No wonder he got so
proficient, he flew every opportunity he got during the summer. ;-)

Corky Scott

G.R. Patterson III
May 25th 04, 08:22 PM
Jay Honeck wrote:

> After that I decided that sneezing wasn't so bad...

Yep, some people can't take them. I'm into about year 7 of the things, and tree
pollen is one of the allergens. Before starting the shots, I used to use
Pseudoephedrine Hydrochloride and Advil. Avoid the "allergy" or "sinus" variants of
Sudophed - they made me pretty woozy. For some reason, generic versions of Advil
didn't work well for me, but the Walmart generic of Sudophed worked great.

George Patterson
I childproofed my house, but they *still* get in.

DanH
May 25th 04, 10:04 PM
Pixel Dent wrote:

> In article <v6Jsc.114175$xw3.6706572@attbi_s04>,
> "Jay Honeck" > wrote:
>

> > 1. Okay, so I may have exaggerated a bit. My eyes were extremely swollen,
> > and I looked like the Devil incarnate -- but I could still see out of them.
> >

> Give Loratadine a shot (brand name is Claritin, but it's available
> cheaper as a generic). I was on Allegra for years, switch to Loratadine
> when it went OTC. It seems to work a bit better for me.
>
> > 2. In my experience, my allergies completely go away above pattern altitude.
> > Not much pollen up there, I guess.
>
> My experience is the same as yours. When my allergies are really bad I
> go flying.

I'll second that advice. I was using Zyrtec (sp?), until my last 3rd
class medical, when I was told that it's not approved. So I started the
loratadine (the OTC I use is called Alavert) and it actually works
better than the Zyrtec.

DanH

Cockpit Colin
May 25th 04, 11:27 PM
We have one here called flixonase - it's a twice a day nasel spray that
takes a few days to become effective - in my case it was 100% effective -
and I get hayfever pretty bad (I can soak 5 hankies in an hour! - sorry to
be gross!)

CC

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> On Sunday we spent all day outside, getting the pool ready at the inn. It
is
> shaded by giant river birch trees, which -- at this time of year -- are
> shedding lots of little flakes of pollen (?).
>
> I'm apparently violently allergic to this tree pollen. My eyes swelled
> shut, and stayed that way for a couple of days. Allegra, my usual
> FAA-approved medicine (which I use for late-summer hay fever), didn't
help.

> Can anyone recommend any other FAA-approved allergy medicines?
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Casey Wilson
May 26th 04, 12:58 AM
> "Jay Honeck" > wrote in message news:j4Isc.57787
>
> > I'm apparently violently allergic to this tree pollen.

Hey Jay,

I'll give you my PIREP on three allergy meds I tried. My doc is a pilot
and understood completely when I said any medications must be 'pilot
friendly.'

Clarinex -- worked pretty much the same as Claritin. Did a great job on
my problems with pollen, dust, and cat dander. Claritin is now over the
counter -- and expensive. Clarinex is covered mostly by my health insurance
minus copay.
Allegra -- seemed to work slightly better than Clarinex. But you
already know about this one.
Zyrtec -- Best of the three for me during the trials described below.

My doc gave me a week of samples of each of the above. To test them, I
stopped taking anything for one week. Then I took one daily, starting with
Clarinex, and kept notes. In between each brand I laid off for six to seven
days. I settled on Allegra in the end because it had the most severe trial.
During the Allegra period we spent four days living in an RV at a primitive
camp smack in the middle of a cattle ranch in SoCal in April surrounded by
beef cattle on open range. The wind blew every day, the wildflowers were in
full bloom along with the cottonwoods and oaks, and the grasses were knee
deep.
Two weeks later, I was at home in the desert doing the Zyrtec which while
my notes said it was better didn't have the same environment as the Allegra.

Good luck, pal,

Casey

Mike Adams
May 26th 04, 03:08 AM
Yes, I'm also a big fan of the cortisone nasal sprays. I've used beconase
and flonase in the past and they are totally effective with absolutely zero
side effects. No contest compared to the usual over the counter
antihistamines and decongestants.

Mike

"Cockpit Colin" > wrote:

> We have one here called flixonase - it's a twice a day nasel spray
> that takes a few days to become effective - in my case it was 100%
> effective - and I get hayfever pretty bad (I can soak 5 hankies in an
> hour! - sorry to be gross!)
>
> CC
>
> "Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
>> On Sunday we spent all day outside, getting the pool ready at the
>> inn. It
> is
>> shaded by giant river birch trees, which -- at this time of year --
>> are shedding lots of little flakes of pollen (?).
>>
>> I'm apparently violently allergic to this tree pollen. My eyes
>> swelled shut, and stayed that way for a couple of days. Allegra, my
>> usual FAA-approved medicine (which I use for late-summer hay fever),
>> didn't
> help.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend any other FAA-approved allergy medicines?
>> --
>> Jay Honeck
>> Iowa City, IA
>> Pathfinder N56993
>> www.AlexisParkInn.com
>> "Your Aviation Destination"

Jay Honeck
May 26th 04, 12:55 PM
> Yes, I'm also a big fan of the cortisone nasal sprays. I've used beconase
> and flonase in the past and they are totally effective with absolutely
zero
> side effects. No contest compared to the usual over the counter
> antihistamines and decongestants.

Are they habit-forming like the decongestant nasal sprays?

Anyone who has ever felt the "rebound effect" of using nose spray too much
knows what I mean...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

G.R. Patterson III
May 26th 04, 03:54 PM
Jay Honeck wrote:

> Are they habit-forming like the decongestant nasal sprays?

In my experience, Flonase is not.

George Patterson
I childproofed my house, but they *still* get in.

May 26th 04, 04:18 PM
On Wed, 26 May 2004 14:54:41 GMT, "G.R. Patterson III"
> wrote:

>Jay Honeck wrote:
>>
>> Are they habit-forming like the decongestant nasal sprays?
>
>In my experience, Flonase is not.
>
>George Patterson
> I childproofed my house, but they *still* get in.

That's been my experience as well. Flonase does not cause any
reaction on my part, it just eliminates the machine gun sneezing and
the itchy eyes. In fact I become symptomless when summer arrives and
I begin the routine.

Corky Scott

Peter Duniho
May 26th 04, 04:53 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> Are they habit-forming like the decongestant nasal sprays?

Nasonex definitely is. I haven't used the other ones, but I would be
surprised if they were significantly different. I did find I could minimize
the effect, while still getting most of the benefit, by using the spray at
only half the frequency prescribed.

Pete

Teacherjh
May 26th 04, 05:52 PM

> Are they habit-forming ...?

Nasonex definitely is.
<<

The first time I read this it looked like "nanosex" and I was wondering whether
it had a connection to certain other medications. I wonder if they picked the
name with this in mind. :)

Jose

zatatime
May 26th 04, 06:13 PM
On Wed, 26 May 2004 11:55:54 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
> wrote:

>> Yes, I'm also a big fan of the cortisone nasal sprays. I've used beconase
>> and flonase in the past and they are totally effective with absolutely
>zero
>> side effects. No contest compared to the usual over the counter
>> antihistamines and decongestants.
>
>Are they habit-forming like the decongestant nasal sprays?
>
>Anyone who has ever felt the "rebound effect" of using nose spray too much
>knows what I mean...

Cortisone based nasal sprays are not "habit forming" like the older
sprays. That was one of the big break throughs when they were
invented.

G.R. Patterson III
May 26th 04, 06:53 PM
Teacherjh wrote:

> The first time I read this it looked like "nanosex" and I was wondering whether
> it had a connection to certain other medications. I wonder if they picked the
> name with this in mind. :)

Since "nano" is a prefix meaning "very small" (in scientific applications, one
thousand millionth), I rather doubt it. Sort of implies that you're gonna get a lot
less than you're getting now if you take it. :-)

George Patterson
I childproofed my house, but they *still* get in.

Morgans
May 26th 04, 09:14 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > Yes, I'm also a big fan of the cortisone nasal sprays. I've used
beconase
> > and flonase in the past and they are totally effective with absolutely
> zero
> > side effects. No contest compared to the usual over the counter
> > antihistamines and decongestants.
>
> Are they habit-forming like the decongestant nasal sprays?
>
> Anyone who has ever felt the "rebound effect" of using nose spray too much
> knows what I mean...
> --
> Jay Honeck

Nope. As they were explained to me, the molecule is too large to enter into
the bloodstream. The molecules simply sit on the surface of your nasal
membranes, clogging up all your receptors that would usually be irritated by
the allergens. The allergens don't get through to cause the reactions, so
no symptoms. Works great. I come off of the becanase at any time with no
change in how I feel. Also, it builds no tolerance, and no bad side
effects, as far as I am concerned.
--
Jim in NC

---

Elwood Dowd
May 26th 04, 09:35 PM
I have had good luck with a prescription steroid called Nasonex. Last
time I checked, it was on the approved list. I haven't used it for a
year or so.

> Can anyone recommend any other FAA-approved allergy medicines?

Al Gilson
May 27th 04, 02:30 AM
Chain saw?

In article <j4Isc.57787$gr.5667473@attbi_s52>, "Jay Honeck"
> wrote:

> On Sunday we spent all day outside, getting the pool ready at the inn. It is
> shaded by giant river birch trees, which -- at this time of year -- are
> shedding lots of little flakes of pollen (?).
>
> I'm apparently violently allergic to this tree pollen. My eyes swelled
> shut, and stayed that way for a couple of days. Allegra, my usual
> FAA-approved medicine (which I use for late-summer hay fever), didn't help.
>
> Can anyone recommend any other FAA-approved allergy medicines?

--
Al Gilson
Spokane, WA USA
1970 VW Convertible
1964 Cessna Skyhawk

Big John
May 27th 04, 06:17 AM
CC

I gave up on the handkerchiefs and started carrying large boxes of
Kleenex and a sack/bag to put the used ones in.

There's nothing like a wet handkerchief on a sore dripping nose :o(

Big John

On Wed, 26 May 2004 10:27:00 +1200, "Cockpit Colin" >
wrote:

>We have one here called flixonase - it's a twice a day nasel spray that
>takes a few days to become effective - in my case it was 100% effective -
>and I get hayfever pretty bad (I can soak 5 hankies in an hour! - sorry to
>be gross!)
>
>CC
>
>"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
>> On Sunday we spent all day outside, getting the pool ready at the inn. It
>is
>> shaded by giant river birch trees, which -- at this time of year -- are
>> shedding lots of little flakes of pollen (?).
>>
>> I'm apparently violently allergic to this tree pollen. My eyes swelled
>> shut, and stayed that way for a couple of days. Allegra, my usual
>> FAA-approved medicine (which I use for late-summer hay fever), didn't
>help.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend any other FAA-approved allergy medicines?
>> --
>> Jay Honeck
>> Iowa City, IA
>> Pathfinder N56993
>> www.AlexisParkInn.com
>> "Your Aviation Destination"

Jay Honeck
May 27th 04, 04:31 PM
> There's nothing like a wet handkerchief on a sore dripping nose :o(

Yeah, but sometimes there just ain't enough Kleenex in the whole world.

I've had days in the fall where I will literally sneeze on average of more
than once per minute, for hours on end. (Usually if I'm stuck at an
outdoor event of some sort...)

Hankies are gross, but sometimes they are the only tool for the job...
:-(
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Mike Adams
May 28th 04, 05:52 AM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote:

>> Yes, I'm also a big fan of the cortisone nasal sprays. I've used
>> beconase and flonase in the past and they are totally effective with
>> absolutely
> zero
>> side effects. No contest compared to the usual over the counter
>> antihistamines and decongestants.
>
> Are they habit-forming like the decongestant nasal sprays?
>
> Anyone who has ever felt the "rebound effect" of using nose spray too
> much knows what I mean...

Like others have said, no rebound effect. I used to use Afrin when I was
really stopped up, but the next day was worse than the original problem.
The cortisone sprays are completely different. They take a few days to
become effective, but then it's like the pollen just disappeared - no
sneezing, no congestion. It's really been like magic for me since I found
out about them.

Mike

Cockpit Colin
May 28th 04, 07:06 AM
I agree.

On a bad day I can go through a big box - best 'trick' I ever found was to
just keep 10 or more fresh hankies at hand - in the end I only use the
Kleenex when I'm getting over cold/infection.

CC

"Big John" > wrote in message
> CC
>
> I gave up on the handkerchiefs and started carrying large boxes of
> Kleenex and a sack/bag to put the used ones in.
>
> There's nothing like a wet handkerchief on a sore dripping nose :o(
>
> Big John
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> On Wed, 26 May 2004 10:27:00 +1200, "Cockpit Colin" >
> wrote:
>
> >We have one here called flixonase - it's a twice a day nasel spray that
> >takes a few days to become effective - in my case it was 100% effective -
> >and I get hayfever pretty bad (I can soak 5 hankies in an hour! - sorry
> >be gross!)
> >
> >CC
> >
> >"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> >> On Sunday we spent all day outside, getting the pool ready at the inn.
It
> >is
> >> shaded by giant river birch trees, which -- at this time of year -- are
> >> shedding lots of little flakes of pollen (?).
> >>
> >> I'm apparently violently allergic to this tree pollen. My eyes
swelled
> >> shut, and stayed that way for a couple of days. Allegra, my usual
> >> FAA-approved medicine (which I use for late-summer hay fever), didn't
> >help.
> >>
> >> Can anyone recommend any other FAA-approved allergy medicines?
> >> --
> >> Jay Honeck
> >> Iowa City, IA
> >> Pathfinder N56993
> >> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> >> "Your Aviation Destination"

May 28th 04, 01:50 PM
On Thu, 27 May 2004 15:31:47 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
> wrote:

>I've had days in the fall where I will literally sneeze on average of more
>than once per minute, for hours on end. (Usually if I'm stuck at an
>outdoor event of some sort...)

Jay, you REALLY need to see an allergist and find out what's setting
you off. I've been allergy symptom free for ten years now. I
literally do not sneeze or develop itchy watery eyes since Flonase was
prescribed.

Why go on torturing yourself?

Corky Scott

Jay Honeck
May 28th 04, 02:41 PM
> Jay, you REALLY need to see an allergist and find out what's setting
> you off. I've been allergy symptom free for ten years now. I
> literally do not sneeze or develop itchy watery eyes since Flonase was
> prescribed.
>
> Why go on torturing yourself?

Oh, I know precisely what I'm allergic to -- and have gone through the
shots. Bad reactions killed that idea.

I'll be trying Flonase, though -- turns out Mary has been using it for the
last six months, unbeknownst to me! (I knew she was squirting *something*
up here nose, but didn't know what it was until I mentioned your post!)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

G.R. Patterson III
May 28th 04, 03:36 PM
Mike Adams wrote:

> The cortisone sprays are completely different. They take a few days to
> become effective, but then it's like the pollen just disappeared - no
> sneezing, no congestion. It's really been like magic for me since I found
> out about them.

Are these all still prescription meds?

George Patterson
None of us is as dumb as all of us.

Wdtabor
May 28th 04, 06:27 PM

>> The cortisone sprays are completely different. They take a few days to
>> become effective, but then it's like the pollen just disappeared - no
>> sneezing, no congestion. It's really been like magic for me since I found
>> out about them.
>
>Are these all still prescription meds?

NasalCrom is OTC, and has worked as well or better than the cortisone sprays
for me.

--
Wm. Donald (Don) Tabor Jr., DDS
PP-ASEL

SKYKING195
May 29th 04, 08:20 AM
The steriod nasal sprays work quite well. You don't have to put up with the
side effects of some of the allergy pills. With any steriod there are side
effects though: some infrequent ones: headache, cataracts, glaucoma, nasal
septum perforation, nasal fungus growth. So I would only use it during the
allergy season.

SKYKING195
May 29th 04, 08:31 AM
>My eyes swelled
>shut, and stayed that way for a couple of days.

While the allergy pills help some with the eye problems, prescription allergy
eye drops work very well for a severe case like this. Alrex would quiet this
down within minutes. Patanol, Zaditor,or Optivar work well during the allergy
season and help prevent this type of severe reaction from happening. Don't know
if they are FAA approved though, I suspect they would be since there have
little side effects.

Mitch, an Eye doc.

Luscombe 8A
Cessna 195

Jay Honeck
May 29th 04, 08:38 PM
> >My eyes swelled
> >shut, and stayed that way for a couple of days.
>
> While the allergy pills help some with the eye problems, prescription
allergy
> eye drops work very well for a severe case like this. Alrex would quiet
this
> down within minutes.

Thanks, Doc. What made it especially bad was that I rubbed the heck out of
my eyes in my sleep. Thus, I woke up with them almost literally glued shut.
I needed a warm wash cloth to melt the goop so I could open them.

Since I haven't been outside as much (and since the trees seem to have shed
all that stuff), I haven't had a reaction like that again, thankfully.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Morgans
May 29th 04, 09:31 PM
"G.R. Patterson III" > wrote

> Are these all still prescription meds?
>
> George Patterson

Yes. Depending on how good a relationship you have with your doctor, you
may be able to call and tell the nurse that you would like to try one of
them, and since there is very little to go wrong, they may call you in a
script. You really have to try one if you have any significant allergies.
They take up to 2 weeks to become fully effective.
--
Jim in NC

---

Cecil Chapman
June 1st 04, 01:11 AM
I have year-round allergies and have been MOST pleased with Flonase (and
it's okay with FAA). I'm always clear (nasal passages) which I never
totally received from Allegra and its' 'clones'. You do have to remember to
use it everyday during the pollen season.

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL
Student-IASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> On Sunday we spent all day outside, getting the pool ready at the inn. It
is
> shaded by giant river birch trees, which -- at this time of year -- are
> shedding lots of little flakes of pollen (?).
>
> I'm apparently violently allergic to this tree pollen. My eyes swelled
> shut, and stayed that way for a couple of days. Allegra, my usual
> FAA-approved medicine (which I use for late-summer hay fever), didn't
help.

> Can anyone recommend any other FAA-approved allergy medicines?
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Big John
June 1st 04, 04:05 AM
Mike

Most Docs don't like one to be on cortisone for extended periods. Some
of the long term side effects are not nice.

I agree it's great for short term use for many ailments but beware of
staying on for extended periods.

Big John

On Fri, 28 May 2004 04:52:46 GMT, Mike Adams
> wrote:

>"Jay Honeck" > wrote:
>
>>> Yes, I'm also a big fan of the cortisone nasal sprays. I've used
>>> beconase and flonase in the past and they are totally effective with
>>> absolutely
>> zero
>>> side effects. No contest compared to the usual over the counter
>>> antihistamines and decongestants.
>>
>> Are they habit-forming like the decongestant nasal sprays?
>>
>> Anyone who has ever felt the "rebound effect" of using nose spray too
>> much knows what I mean...
>
>Like others have said, no rebound effect. I used to use Afrin when I was
>really stopped up, but the next day was worse than the original problem.
>The cortisone sprays are completely different. They take a few days to
>become effective, but then it's like the pollen just disappeared - no
>sneezing, no congestion. It's really been like magic for me since I found
>out about them.
>
>Mike

Morgans
June 1st 04, 04:30 AM
"Big John" > wrote in message
> Mike
>
> Most Docs don't like one to be on cortisone for extended periods. Some
> of the long term side effects are not nice.
>
> I agree it's great for short term use for many ailments but beware of
> staying on for extended periods.
>
> Big John

Not true of this type of cortisone. It is designed with a special, long
molecule that is too long to enter the bloodstream. It sits there on top of
the nasal surfaces, keeping the receptors from getting messed up with the
allergens. It is, unlike other cortisones, permitted for long term use.
--
Jim in NC

---

Google