PDA

View Full Version : Multi Engine Flying Clubs

HankPilot2002
May 28th 04, 01:32 PM
Has anyone had any experienxe / success with a flying club based around a light
twin ? I am interested in getting my MEI add - on and then building some
serious multi time but the FBO costs are prohibitive.

I have been considering 10 - 12 members, $20K apiece buy in, time and
proficiency requirements, insurance hassles, maintenence, and the like. Any
info you could provide would be appreciated.

Hank

Nathan Young
May 28th 04, 02:07 PM
On 28 May 2004 12:32:55 GMT, (HankPilot2002)
wrote:

>Has anyone had any experienxe / success with a flying club based around a light
>twin ? I am interested in getting my MEI add - on and then building some
>serious multi time but the FBO costs are prohibitive.
>
>I have been considering 10 - 12 members, $20K apiece buy in, time and
>proficiency requirements, insurance hassles, maintenence, and the like. Any
>info you could provide would be appreciated.

No experience, but a comment. Multi insurance is difficult to come
by, and will be one of your major expenses. Given the number of
low-time members that you would have, it could easily exceed
$10k/year. Also, many insurers will not insure ME pilots without
having 25hrs in type. So you'll need access to an MEI who has those
requirements and wants to fly a bunch of dual so the members can
eventually fly solo.

Also, 10-12 members @ $20k each his going to buy one hell of a nice
twin for training, that's $200-240k. You can buy an older Seneca I,
II or Seminole for under $100k.

The Seneca II that I occasionally fly has averaged ~$7-8k maintenance
the last few years.

-Nathan

Paul Tomblin
May 28th 04, 03:04 PM
In a previous article, (HankPilot2002) said:
>Has anyone had any experienxe / success with a flying club based around a light
>twin ? I am interested in getting my MEI add - on and then building some
>serious multi time but the FBO costs are prohibitive.

Good luck. Our club asked Avemco about insuring a Aztruck last year, and
were told that nobody will insure a twin in a club any more, and clubs
that have them are slowly getting rid of them.

Hell, we're currently trying to figure out how to keep insurance on our
Lance.

--
Paul Tomblin > http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
What boots up must come down.

HankPilot2002
May 28th 04, 05:56 PM
I see that insurance would be an issue - perhaps budgeting more $$$ for
training, perhaps at FSI or SimCom could be an issue.

Hank

Jerry Kurata
June 5th 04, 02:13 PM
FS is about $3500/person for the initial session for a piston twin (5 days).
About $2500/person for recurrent (3 days).

jerry

"HankPilot2002" > wrote in message
> I see that insurance would be an issue - perhaps budgeting more $$$ for
> training, perhaps at FSI or SimCom could be an issue.
>
> Hank

Google