PDA

View Full Version : Flight Planning - KEDW to KGLS

Casey Wilson
May 31st 04, 07:57 PM
Aircraft is a C-172SP/G with 5+30 fuel

So far:
Fuel at Wickenburg AZ (E25)
Fuel and overnight at Alamagordo NM (KALM)
Fuel San Angelo TX (KSJT
Spend a week at KGLS lounging on the beaches at Galveston

I have not yet plotted the sectionals for altitude, I'm waiting for them to
come in the mail.

Comments? Suggestions? Alternate routing?

Newps
May 31st 04, 08:17 PM
How about forget the planning and just go? Land when you want, stay where
you want. Sometimes the weather will not allow what you want to do.

"Casey Wilson" > wrote in message
> Aircraft is a C-172SP/G with 5+30 fuel
>
> So far:
> Fuel at Wickenburg AZ (E25)
> Fuel and overnight at Alamagordo NM (KALM)
> Fuel San Angelo TX (KSJT
> Spend a week at KGLS lounging on the beaches at Galveston
>
> I have not yet plotted the sectionals for altitude, I'm waiting for them
> come in the mail.
>
> Comments? Suggestions? Alternate routing?

Sloan Essman
May 31st 04, 09:02 PM
mmmm....brown water.....

Sloan (Houston resident)

"Casey Wilson" > wrote in message
> Aircraft is a C-172SP/G with 5+30 fuel
>
> So far:
> Fuel at Wickenburg AZ (E25)
> Fuel and overnight at Alamagordo NM (KALM)
> Fuel San Angelo TX (KSJT
> Spend a week at KGLS lounging on the beaches at Galveston
>
> I have not yet plotted the sectionals for altitude, I'm waiting for them
> come in the mail.
>
> Comments? Suggestions? Alternate routing?

May 31st 04, 09:52 PM
Don't know when your trip is, but in case you hadn't heard...

The Texas Aviation Association is sponsoring a "Wings Weekend" this
Friday and Saturday (June 4-5). Safety seminars all day both days,
free instructors for Wings program (you supply the plane). Planes are
available for rent if you need - you pay for the plane, the instructor
is still free.

And...on Saturday night, there is a dinner with the guest speaker
being Captain Al Haynes (UA232 - Iowa City). Dinner is $20 per person.

If you want more info, go to www.gulfwings.org.

Enjoy your trip.

On Mon, 31 May 2004 18:57:05 GMT, "Casey Wilson" >
wrote:

> Aircraft is a C-172SP/G with 5+30 fuel
>
>So far:
>Fuel at Wickenburg AZ (E25)
>Fuel and overnight at Alamagordo NM (KALM)
>Fuel San Angelo TX (KSJT
>Spend a week at KGLS lounging on the beaches at Galveston
>
>I have not yet plotted the sectionals for altitude, I'm waiting for them to
>come in the mail.
>
>Comments? Suggestions? Alternate routing?

Dave S
May 31st 04, 10:49 PM
Casey Wilson wrote:
> Aircraft is a C-172SP/G with 5+30 fuel
>
> So far:
> Fuel at Wickenburg AZ (E25)
> Fuel and overnight at Alamagordo NM (KALM)
> Fuel San Angelo TX (KSJT
> Spend a week at KGLS lounging on the beaches at Galveston
>
> I have not yet plotted the sectionals for altitude, I'm waiting for them to
> come in the mail.

Direct from SJT to GLS will miss the presidential ranch in Crawford
Texas by a long shot, so no worries there.

Expect to go around the southern/southwest edge of the HOU class B.
There are some tall towers (2k feet x about 10 of em) 10 miles SW of
Hobby airport.. worth knowing where they are so you arent surprised.

HOU approach will not take the handoff for VFR flight following coming
in from Houston Center. Expect to be terminated 35-40 miles west of
Houston. If you are IFR this is no factor, of course, go where they tell
you. If you are lucky, Houston may allow you to transit VFR at 4,500
feet through the class B, but you have to be on your stuff, hold your
altitude and specificly ASK for a transition at 4.5 (its a kinda open
secret I guess.. sandwich you between arrivals and departures)

If you like to grab a fly in meal on your way down... Brenham (11R) has
a good 50's style diner (new construction) on field. Hooks (DWH) has a
good lunch spot/grill in their restaurant. Weiser (EYQ) is a small, hard
to find strip for out of towners, but it is along a major freeway and is
in the backyard of Carls BBQ.. I fly across town for their ribs and
brisket regularly. However, narrow runway, short final is over a bus
barn, and the E-W runway usually means "perpetual xwind". Brazoria
County (LBX) also has a NICE onfield restaurant with varying hours. Not
a bad steak place.. white tablecloths and small town businessmen power
lunch there.

Theres a few others but those are my favorite eating spots in the area.

Galveston has a lot of Helicopter traffic, but they are good about doing
their thing and avoiding fixed wing flow. Attractions include Gaido's
Seafood, The Strand (old downtown - restaurants and clubs), Moody
Gardens (aquarium, animal and plant exhibits and an Imax). Old
historical houses also are to be found, and organized tours exist. The
beaches on Galveston Island (with one exception - East Beach) are DRY.
No beer. If you go WAY out to the west end of the island it becomes
"dont ask dont tell" with regards to alcohol on the beach.. but still is
tecnically illegal.

Speaking of beaches.. its been a while since I've dallied in the beach
and "surf" there.. once you've been to Hawaii, Texas just doesnt
compare.. but this time of year we are having problems with a nasty rip
current. Dont exceed your limitations if you decide to go "feet wet"

There is a WW II sub and destroyer on adjacent pelican island.

There is a greyhound racing track 15 miles inland.

Johnson Space Center is 25 miles up the freeway, with its "Space Center
Houston" attraction for tourists.

There is a big seminar going on this weekend for pilots, if you happen
to make it that early. There is probably an arrival procedure or
temporary tower like there was last year for it.

Finally... if for some reason your plane goes tits up.. there is an A&P
down there with a great personality and an impeccable reputation on
field. He's usually booked up with stuff but if means getting you back
home he might be able to help you out. His last name is Wynn and the
folks at Evergreen know where to find him.

> Comments? Suggestions? Alternate routing?

Casey Wilson
June 1st 04, 12:25 AM
"Newps" > wrote in message
> How about forget the planning and just go? Land when you want, stay where
> you want. Sometimes the weather will not allow what you want to do.

Newps, while I generally subscribe to that and most definitely agree
with the last sentence. I think a little advanced planning can make those
serindipitous stops more fun. Last thing I'd want to do is find myself
sitting on an apron surrounded by..., well nothing.
I'd rather drop in at Weiser, like Dave suggests, and pack in some ribs.
I'm gonna miss Kmeds suggestion about the Wings seminar, but that'd be nice
to plan for.
Another spot would be San Marcos Military Academy. My mother used to
threaten to send me there if I didn't shape up. Instead, I joined the USMC
(well, a few years later).

Casey

Casey Wilson
June 1st 04, 12:27 AM
"Sloan Essman" > wrote in message
> mmmm....brown water.....
>
> Sloan (Houston resident)

Phhhbbbbtttt!!! I said Galveston, not Baytown. Oh, you wrote brown,
as in when the northers are blowing. Not black and oily. Har! Har!

Casey

Dave S
June 1st 04, 02:04 AM
The tar balls and oil slicks have abated gradually over the past decade
or two..

Still would be a good idea to wear shoes into the surf.

Dave

Casey Wilson wrote:

> "Sloan Essman" > wrote in message
>
>>mmmm....brown water.....
>>
>>Sloan (Houston resident)
>>

> Phhhbbbbtttt!!! I said Galveston, not Baytown. Oh, you wrote brown,
> as in when the northers are blowing. Not black and oily. Har! Har!
>
> Casey

Google