PDA

View Full Version : Another WW-II Secret!!

John Gaquin
June 5th 04, 03:55 PM
As time passes, and the overlapping leaves of history get peeled back one at
a time, we continue to learn new and amazing things about the past.

Went to refill my coffee cup a while ago, and browsed the TV for a few
minutes on the way through the house. D-Day anniversary coverage on MSNBC.
Imagine my surprise when I heard Alex Witt describe how the allied
paratroopers in the predawn hours jumped from "Lancaster jets." There's
just no end to the amazement!

Jay Beckman
June 5th 04, 06:29 PM
"John Gaquin" > wrote in message
> As time passes, and the overlapping leaves of history get peeled back one
at
> a time, we continue to learn new and amazing things about the past.
>
> Went to refill my coffee cup a while ago, and browsed the TV for a few
> minutes on the way through the house. D-Day anniversary coverage on
MSNBC.
> Imagine my surprise when I heard Alex Witt describe how the allied
> paratroopers in the predawn hours jumped from "Lancaster jets." There's
> just no end to the amazement!

I'm suprised you didn't have to go immediately back and re-refill your
cup...

Jay B

Cub Driver
June 6th 04, 11:43 AM
> I heard Alex Witt describe how the allied
>paratroopers in the predawn hours jumped from "Lancaster jets." There's
>just no end to the amazement!

Just as "tarmac" has come to mean "surface airplanes operate on", so
is "jet" coming to mean "airplane".

In that awful best-seller of recent months "Flyboys", the author
speaks of how aircraft carriers are dangerous, what with the jet fuel
spilled on the deck among other hazards.

(About tarmac: in one of the Vietnam books, the author spoke of how
the U.S. Marines pulled up the "tarmac" and took it with them when
they abandoned Khe Sahn. I was really puzzled by this until I worked
it out that he was talking about Marston matting, not chunks of
asphalt.)

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum www.warbirdforum.com