PDA

View Full Version : pan pan pan

Cub Driver
June 6th 04, 11:39 AM
Has anyone here ever used the emergency call PAN PAN PAN in an
aircraft?

What about SECURITE (tay) SECURITE?

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com

Jay Honeck
June 6th 04, 12:52 PM
> Has anyone here ever used the emergency call PAN PAN PAN in an
> aircraft?

Thankfully (knock on Royalite) I've never heard "Mayday!" or "Pan pan pan"
on the radio.

I *have* heard ATC calling for a missing plane, though, and I have been
asked by ATC to listen for an ELT. Also (back when we were all flying
around listening to 121.5 all the time) I've reported an ELT going off, way
out in the desert scrub near the Grand Canyon.

Spooky stuff.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Stan Prevost
June 6th 04, 03:51 PM
"Cub Driver" > wrote in message

> Has anyone here ever used the emergency call PAN PAN PAN in an
> aircraft?

Never used it, but I have heard it used, once, in Australia.

Andrea da lontano
June 6th 04, 05:39 PM
I actually did use it once when flying over Oregon a few years ago I spotted
a wildfire spreading out in a inhabited area.

Little note on the origins of PAN PAN PAN and MAY DAY.
Both terms come from the French Language (yes, that's true).

1) PAN comes from the French PANNE, which means "failure", "problem"
2) MAY DAY comes from the French "M'aider", thta you actually pronounce as
Mayday and which means "Help Me"

Ciao

Andrea
Milan, ITALY

"Cub Driver" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> Has anyone here ever used the emergency call PAN PAN PAN in an
> aircraft?
>
> What about SECURITE (tay) SECURITE?
>

> all the best -- Dan Ford
> email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)
>
> The Warbird's Forum www.warbirdforum.com
> The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com

Scott Lowrey
June 6th 04, 09:29 PM
Cub Driver wrote:

> Has anyone here ever used the emergency call PAN PAN PAN in an
> aircraft?

For what it's worth, the proper call is "pan-pan pan-pan pan-pan",
similar to "mayday mayday mayday".

Never heard it, but I would use it if I had serious problems and needed
attention on a busy frequency.

-Scott

G.R. Patterson III
June 7th 04, 01:52 AM
Cub Driver wrote:

> Has anyone here ever used the emergency call PAN PAN PAN in an
> aircraft?

I did when I had a valve stick at 800' AGL.

George Patterson
None of us is as dumb as all of us.

Cockpit Colin
June 7th 04, 10:18 AM
> For what it's worth, the proper call is "pan-pan pan-pan pan-pan",
> similar to "mayday mayday mayday".

Also FWIW, it's pronounced 'Parn'

Steven P. McNicoll
June 7th 04, 07:25 PM
"Ross Younger" > wrote in message
> * Cub Driver >:
> >Has anyone here ever used the emergency call PAN PAN PAN in an
> >aircraft?
>
> Never in genuine anger, but I did have to make a pan call and a mayday
> relay on my (UK) radiotelephony practical test.

Does the test require you to feign anger?

S Green
June 7th 04, 09:18 PM
"Ross Younger" > wrote in message
> * Cub Driver >:
> >Has anyone here ever used the emergency call PAN PAN PAN in an
> >aircraft?
>
> Never in genuine anger, but I did have to make a pan call and a mayday
> relay on my (UK) radiotelephony practical test.
>
> >What about SECURITE (tay) SECURITE?
>
> I've heard that being used in the marine world, but I don't think it's
> covered in the UK flight R/T syllabus. I suppose it might have a use in
> a broadcast warning of severe weather?

Visited West Drayton a few weeks back and they were keen for pilots to try
practice pans. With some usage even on practices it might be enough to
convince the bean counters that keeping the only full time 24/7 dedicated
distress and diversion cell is worth while.

All they ask is that one listens out on the frequency first to make sure
they are not handling a real emergency.

While we were there, an airliner squawked 7700 and the bells went off etc.
Turned out that they had a medical emergency and wanted a straight in
approach to save time and link the patient up with the ambulance.

I have only ever done practice pans, about two a year just to help out,
usually asking for a position fix due to being "temporarily unsure of my
position".

D & D is one of the best things we have and I was surprised at the number of
calls they get. Run by the RAF.

Cub Driver
June 7th 04, 10:26 PM
>> For what it's worth, the proper call is "pan-pan pan-pan pan-pan",
>> similar to "mayday mayday mayday".
>
>Also FWIW, it's pronounced 'Parn'

I don't pronounce it PAM, nor do I double it up. I say PON PON PON.
All sailors do, in my experience, including French sailors.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com

Cub Driver
June 7th 04, 10:30 PM
>>What about SECURITE (tay) SECURITE?
>
>I've heard that being used in the marine world, but I don't think it's
>covered in the UK flight R/T syllabus. I suppose it might have a use in
>a broadcast warning of severe weather?

I don't think it's that serious. Mariners use it for example when
backing a large boat out into the channel, where the skipper can't see
the channel himself. He goes SECURITAY SECURITAY with a brief
description of what he's doing, as a courtesy to any boat that may be
coming along.

The equivalent for a pilot would be to announce he's crossing the
runway. Personally, I just say "Zero Six is crossing the runway."
Airmen make a lot more radio calls than mariners do, at least at
non-towered fields. Most every call in the pattern or on the ground is
a Securite call, so there wouldn't be much point in prefacing it with
a warning.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com

Natalie
June 8th 04, 03:13 AM
Andrea da lontano wrote:

> I actually did use it once when flying over Oregon a few years ago I spotted
> a wildfire spreading out in a inhabited area.
>
> Little note on the origins of PAN PAN PAN and MAY DAY.
> Both terms come from the French Language (yes, that's true).
>
> 1) PAN comes from the French PANNE, which means "failure", "problem"
> 2) MAY DAY comes from the French "M'aider", thta you actually pronounce as
> Mayday and which means "Help Me"

That can't be true about MAY DAY. That would be horrible French, and it
doesn't make much sense at all. Aidez-moi (or aides-moi) would be "Help me."

Andrea da lontano
June 8th 04, 08:55 AM
Sorry Natalie to insist, but this is absolutely true.
I live in Paris since 1989 and I can assure you this makes sense in French
language.
"Mayday" is definitely the Americanized spelling of "m'aidez" or "m'aider".
(French for "help me!").
I am sure that a quick Google will confirm this.

Bonne Journée!
;-))

Andrea

"Natalie" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> Andrea da lontano wrote:
>
> > I actually did use it once when flying over Oregon a few years ago I
spotted
> > a wildfire spreading out in a inhabited area.
> >
> > Little note on the origins of PAN PAN PAN and MAY DAY.
> > Both terms come from the French Language (yes, that's true).
> >
> > 1) PAN comes from the French PANNE, which means "failure", "problem"
> > 2) MAY DAY comes from the French "M'aider", thta you actually pronounce
as
> > Mayday and which means "Help Me"
>
> That can't be true about MAY DAY. That would be horrible French, and it
> doesn't make much sense at all. Aidez-moi (or aides-moi) would be "Help
me."

Cub Driver
June 8th 04, 10:42 AM
On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 22:13:52 -0400, Natalie > wrote:

>That can't be true about MAY DAY. That would be horrible French, and it
>doesn't make much sense at all. Aidez-moi (or aides-moi) would be "Help me."

M'aidez is the usual rendering.

I assume it's good or at least acceptable French, because I find this
in a French-language site: "pouvez vous m'aidez SVP??". ("Can you
help me, please?")

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com

Markus Voget
June 8th 04, 11:28 AM
Cub Driver > wrote:

> On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 22:13:52 -0400, Natalie > wrote:
>
> M'aidez is the usual rendering.
>
> I assume it's good or at least acceptable French, because I find this
> in a French-language site: "pouvez vous m'aidez SVP??". ("Can you
> help me, please?")

As a matter of fact, in that sentence the infinitive of the main verb would
be called for again: "Pouvez vous m'aider?" :-)

Greetings,
Markus

S Green
June 8th 04, 01:53 PM
"Andrea da lontano" > wrote in message
> Sorry Natalie to insist, but this is absolutely true.
> I live in Paris since 1989 and I can assure you this makes sense in French
> language.
> "Mayday" is definitely the Americanized spelling of "m'aidez" or
"m'aider".
> (French for "help me!").
> I am sure that a quick Google will confirm this.
>
> Bonne Journée!
> ;-))
>
> Andrea

Its short for m'aidez vous? Will you help me?

Natalie
June 9th 04, 03:42 AM
Andrea da lontano wrote:

> Sorry Natalie to insist, but this is absolutely true.
> I live in Paris since 1989 and I can assure you this makes sense in French
> language.
> "Mayday" is definitely the Americanized spelling of "m'aidez" or "m'aider".
> (French for "help me!").
> I am sure that a quick Google will confirm this.
>
> Bonne Journée!
> ;-))
>
> Andrea
>
> "Natalie" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> >

> > Andrea da lontano wrote:
> >
> > > I actually did use it once when flying over Oregon a few years ago I
> spotted
> > > a wildfire spreading out in a inhabited area.
> > >
> > > Little note on the origins of PAN PAN PAN and MAY DAY.
> > > Both terms come from the French Language (yes, that's true).
> > >
> > > 1) PAN comes from the French PANNE, which means "failure", "problem"
> > > 2) MAY DAY comes from the French "M'aider", thta you actually pronounce
> as
> > > Mayday and which means "Help Me"
> >
> > That can't be true about MAY DAY. That would be horrible French, and it
> > doesn't make much sense at all. Aidez-moi (or aides-moi) would be "Help
> me."

"Help me" is imperative in both English and French. In French, it would be
written as "aidez-moi" m'aidez would mean help (me) in the context of a larger
sentence, but it isn't what you would say in lieu of just "Help me!" A
french grammar book of your choice can confirm this for you.

Natalie
June 9th 04, 03:43 AM
Cub Driver wrote:

> On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 22:13:52 -0400, Natalie > wrote:
>
> >That can't be true about MAY DAY. That would be horrible French, and it
> >doesn't make much sense at all. Aidez-moi (or aides-moi) would be "Help me."
>
> M'aidez is the usual rendering.
>
> I assume it's good or at least acceptable French, because I find this
> in a French-language site: "pouvez vous m'aidez SVP??". ("Can you
> help me, please?")

That is certainly a correct statement as a whole, but that does not mean just "help
me!", which would be an imperative form, or "aidez-moi" in french.

Peter Duniho
June 9th 04, 05:27 AM
"Natalie" > wrote in message
> "Help me" is imperative in both English and French. In French, it would be
> written as "aidez-moi" m'aidez would mean help (me) in the context of a
larger
> sentence, but it isn't what you would say in lieu of just "Help me!" A
> french grammar book of your choice can confirm this for you.

What's your point?

It's well established what the origin of the call "mayday" is. Your
"argument" that it's poor grammar might be valid, except that since the word
was extracted from a larger sentence, even the grammar complaint really has
no basis. Your original claim that Andrea's description of the origin of
"mayday" was false is itself absolutely wrong regardless of what you think
about the grammar.

Pete

Cub Driver
June 9th 04, 10:40 AM
On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 22:42:21 -0400, Natalie > wrote:

>"Help me" is imperative in both English and French. In French, it would be
>written as "aidez-moi" m'aidez would mean help (me) in the context of a larger
>sentence, but it isn't what you would say in lieu of just "Help me!" A
>french grammar book of your choice can confirm this for you.

Nevertheless, "mayday" comes from the French, as do the other two
international marine distress calls, pan-pan and securite.

My Webster's Collegiate says the origin is "m'aider" and dates the
call to 1927.

Perhaps they were standardized by a British commission with an
imperfect knowledge of French?

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! www.vivabush.org

Kevin Darling
June 9th 04, 06:20 PM
Cub Driver > wrote in message >...
> Has anyone here ever used the emergency call PAN PAN PAN in an
> aircraft?

I remember that Swissair Flight 111 that crashed off Halifax in 1998
(?) used it. Looking up the details, it went something like this:

10:14PM - "Swissair 111 heavy is declaring Pan Pan Pan. We have smoke
in the cockpit, request deviate immediate right turn to a convenient
place. I guess Boston,"

10:24PM - "We are declaring an Emergency.... We have to land
immediately."

10:30PM - crashes into the water

They were only ten minutes from landing, but had spent much more time
than that dumping fuel as per the book.

Kev

Cub Driver
June 10th 04, 10:31 AM
On 9 Jun 2004 10:20:59 -0700, (Kevin Darling)
wrote:

>10:14PM - "Swissair 111 heavy is declaring Pan Pan Pan. We have smoke
>in the cockpit,

Thanks! That's just the sort of reference I was looking for.

Interesting that later he said "declaring an emergency."

I suppose the whole concept of emergency calls has pretty much faded
out, with the advance in radio communications. It is as easy to say
(and understand) "crossing the runway" as "securite, securite". Or
"I'm declaring an emergency" as pan-pan-pan.

And the pilot says "declaring Pan..." The whole object of the
emergency calls was to avoid having to use those extra words.

"Mayday" by contrast still serves a real purpose: it tells everyone
else on the freq to shut up.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! www.vivabush.org

Stefan
June 11th 04, 12:12 AM
Cub Driver wrote:

> Interesting that later he said "declaring an emergency."
> And the pilot says "declaring Pan..." The whole object of the
> emergency calls was to avoid having to use those extra words.

No. One half of the object was to get immediate attention. "Mayday" and
"pan pan" are wakeup calls for distracted radio operators. If a pilot
already has the ATS controller's attention, it has become common
practice to "declare an emergency" instead of using the term Mayday. Not
standard compliant, but accepted.

> "Mayday" by contrast still serves a real purpose: it tells everyone
> else on the freq to shut up.

As does pan pan (the other half of the object). Pan calls have priority
over all other traffic except distress calls.

Stefan

PS2727
June 11th 04, 02:19 AM
It also serves to let all on the freq know that someone needs priority. The
lesson from the Columbian 707 a few years ago which ran out of fuel was that if
you need priority you should use the standardized priority call. This is even
more important when in an international setting. I heard a flight tell a
British controller he had a sick passenger but the controller insisted he say
"pan pan pan" before he took any action. I thought it a bit silly at the time
but now it seems he was exactly right. After that there was no confusion or
ambiguity. He was cleared straight in and got the help he needed.

Paul Sengupta
June 14th 04, 02:40 PM
"PS2727" > wrote in message
> I heard a flight tell a
> British controller he had a sick passenger but the controller insisted he
say
> "pan pan pan" before he took any action. I thought it a bit silly at the
time
> but now it seems he was exactly right. After that there was no confusion
or
> ambiguity. He was cleared straight in and got the help he needed.

http://www.nathangb.com/wingfiles/files/4P192.pdf

Paul

Kevin Darling
June 14th 04, 08:05 PM
"Paul Sengupta" > wrote in message >...
> "PS2727" > wrote in message
> > I heard a flight tell a British controller he had a sick passenger
> > but the controller insisted he say "pan pan pan" before he took any
> > action. I thought it a bit silly at the time but now it seems he was
> > exactly right. After that there was no confusion or
> > ambiguity. He was cleared straight in and got the help he needed.
>
> http://www.nathangb.com/wingfiles/files/4P192.pdf

Interesting. So the Columbian crash from lack of fuel affected the UK
and US totally differently.

The UK ATC wants pilots to be explicit, and won't treat it as an
emergency unless declared as so. But isn't that what caused the
Columbian accident?

In the US, controllers are now supposed to treat anything that
_sounds_ like an emergency, just like an emergency... whether declared
or not.

At least, that's the way the regs seem to read.

PS2727
June 14th 04, 11:12 PM
I hadn't thought of it that way. My point is that once the pan went out
everyone was on the same page. Perhaps the controllers are told to be alert for
someone who has a potential problem but hesitates in declaring the emergency.
If I ever need priority I'll have no problem sending out the standard call.

Cub Driver
June 15th 04, 10:35 AM
>If I ever need priority I'll have no problem sending out the standard call.

But what is the standard call? Everything I've read up to this thread
has told me to say "I'm declaring an emergency." Are we now suggesting
it should be "Pan Pan"? (In Britain, evidently! But in the U.S.?)

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! weblog www.vivabush.org

Bill Denton
June 15th 04, 01:55 PM
I Googled something up yesterday, and naturally can't find it today, that
dealt with this in the nautical world. But it would probably also be
applicable to aviation. There are three calls, given here in descending
order:

MAYDAY - Imminent danger to human life, or fatal damage to the vessel or
aircraft. Requires immediate assistance of some nature, if possible.

PAN-PAN (repeated three times) - Priority handling is required. A sailboat
that has lost it's mast, or a medical emergency on an aircraft.

SECURITE (I think this is the correct word) - This is a warning broadcast to
others from a watercraft or aircraft; sharks in an area or a sudden
emergency closure of an airport.

As I said, I'm working from memory and a couple of sources that weren't
exactly on point. Please provide any corrections you may have.

I was in the same position Dan was; I wasn't sure if the standard was being
changed or if this was supplemental...

"Cub Driver" > wrote in message

> >If I ever need priority I'll have no problem sending out the standard
call.

> But what is the standard call? Everything I've read up to this thread
> has told me to say "I'm declaring an emergency." Are we now suggesting
> it should be "Pan Pan"? (In Britain, evidently! But in the U.S.?)
>
> all the best -- Dan Ford
> email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)
>
> The Warbird's Forum www.warbirdforum.com
> The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
> Viva Bush! weblog www.vivabush.org

Newps
June 15th 04, 05:12 PM
"PS2727" > wrote in message
> I hadn't thought of it that way. My point is that once the pan went out
> everyone was on the same page. Perhaps the controllers are told to be
alert for
> someone who has a potential problem but hesitates in declaring the
emergency.
> If I ever need priority I'll have no problem sending out the standard
call.

You'll never hear Pan in the US, it's a ridiculous phrase. The pilot will
simply tell you his problem, many times saying that it isn't an emergency.
Doesn't matter, I'm declaring it an emergency and the trucks will be
standing by.

Gary Drescher
June 15th 04, 06:04 PM
"Cub Driver" > wrote in message

> >If I ever need priority I'll have no problem sending out the standard
call.

> But what is the standard call? Everything I've read up to this thread
> has told me to say "I'm declaring an emergency." Are we now suggesting
> it should be "Pan Pan"? (In Britain, evidently! But in the U.S.?)

AIM 6-3-2a3:
Transmit a distress or urgency message consisting of as many as necessary of
the following elements, preferably in the order listed:
(a) If distress, MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAY-DAY; if urgency, PAN-PAN, PAN-PAN,
PAN-PAN.
(b) Name of station addressed.
(c) Aircraft identification and type.
(d) Nature of distress or urgency.

--Gary

Magnus
June 16th 04, 04:07 AM
There was an incident in sweden where the pilot had an ill passenger and
called out to the tower at landvetter (in gothenburg) "pan-pan, pan-pan,
pan-pan". After a few moments silence came a bewildered controller
"er... we don't have that expression here at landvetter"

So much for that huh... By the way, from what we were taught, it's
actually a complete word pan-pan, just like may-day if you will. Saying
pan pan pan would be like saying maydaymay I guess. Never heard it used
or used it myself so I'm not sure.

Newps wrote:

> "PS2727" > wrote in message
>
>>I hadn't thought of it that way. My point is that once the pan went out
>>everyone was on the same page. Perhaps the controllers are told to be
>
> alert for
>
>>someone who has a potential problem but hesitates in declaring the
>
> emergency.
>
>>If I ever need priority I'll have no problem sending out the standard
>
> call.
>
> You'll never hear Pan in the US, it's a ridiculous phrase. The pilot will
> simply tell you his problem, many times saying that it isn't an emergency.
> Doesn't matter, I'm declaring it an emergency and the trucks will be
> standing by.

Cub Driver
June 16th 04, 10:53 AM
On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 07:55:17 -0500, "Bill Denton"
> wrote:

>SECURITE (I think this is the correct word) - This is a warning broadcast to
>others from a watercraft or aircraft; sharks in an area or a sudden
>emergency closure of an airport.

Yes, that's the word. (Pronounced secure-i-tay). Thiis is the first
time I have ever seen an aviation usage for the word.

I wonder if Pan Pan and Securite are more often used in Europe? Like
graphic road signs, they'd be more useful than a statement like "I'm
declaring an emergency."

And I wonder if the TWA? pilot who said "I'm declaring Pan Pan" wasn't
simply covering both bases, the "I'm declaring" for any American
listener and "Pan Pan" for the Canadians?
all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! weblog www.vivabush.org

Cub Driver
June 16th 04, 10:57 AM
On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 23:07:35 -0400, Magnus > wrote:

>There was an incident in sweden where the pilot had an ill passenger and
>called out to the tower at landvetter (in gothenburg) "pan-pan, pan-pan,
>pan-pan". After a few moments silence came a bewildered controller
>"er... we don't have that expression here at landvetter"
>
>So much for that huh...

Yes. Sigh...

> By the way, from what we were taught, it's
>actually a complete word pan-pan, just like may-day if you will. Saying
>pan pan pan would be like saying maydaymay I guess. Never heard it used
>or used it myself so I'm not sure.

This is what my daughter tells me also. (She's off to Boston today to
be tested for the continuation of her 100-ton master's license. My
little girl!)

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! weblog www.vivabush.org

Paul Sengupta
June 16th 04, 04:44 PM
"Kevin Darling" > wrote in message
m...
> "Paul Sengupta" > wrote in message
> > http://www.nathangb.com/wingfiles/files/4P192.pdf
>
> Interesting. So the Columbian crash from lack of fuel affected the UK
> and US totally differently.
>
> The UK ATC wants pilots to be explicit, and won't treat it as an
> emergency unless declared as so. But isn't that what caused the
> Columbian accident?

I don't think it's the case that controllers "won't" treat it as an
emergency, it tells pilots to be specific, use the standard call
then it can't be treated any other way. The text says that the
controlled can ask the pilot "Do you wish to declare an
emergency?".

In the UK for GA, we have certain RT procedures which are
outlined in the CAA publication CAP413.
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP413.PDF
If you look at Chapter 8, Emergencies, section 1.5, it gives
the phraseology and information for an emergency call. On the
PPL RT exam a large (disproportionate) number of marks are
given for getting the emergency call right.

Paul

RT
June 18th 04, 03:10 PM
'Mayday' is a broadcast, not addressed to any specific station (from the
French, "M'aidez" I expect = "Help me") and is repeated twice followed by
the callsign 3 times.

"Pan, pan, pan" is notification of a high priority transmission (possibly
abbreviated 'PANic'?) addressed to a SPECIFIC station (eg, tower) signifying
what follows is urgent and important - eg, report of a road accident you've
just spotted, or a herd of elephants about to cross a busy runway. Your
callsign is not repeated and the 'pan' label simply is used to separate the
transmission from the routine.

SelwayKid
June 18th 04, 04:28 PM
"Newps" > wrote in message >...
> "PS2727" > wrote in message
> > I hadn't thought of it that way. My point is that once the pan went out
> > everyone was on the same page. Perhaps the controllers are told to be
> alert for
> > someone who has a potential problem but hesitates in declaring the
> emergency.
> > If I ever need priority I'll have no problem sending out the standard
> call.
>
> You'll never hear Pan in the US, it's a ridiculous phrase. The pilot will
> simply tell you his problem, many times saying that it isn't an emergency.
> Doesn't matter, I'm declaring it an emergency and the trucks will be
> standing by.

Perhaps you won't hear it much here in the USA where you seldom are
out of radio range, or out of range of a recognized landing strip or
airport. If you fly outside the USA which seems unlikely, you can
easily find yourself more than 100 miles from any safe landing area
let alone someplace with emergency equipment standing by. Perhaps the
US pilots are just too accustomed to having it so good and
particularly in General Aviation.
A lot of my flight time is in remote areas of the world where it was
nice to be able to hear someone on the radio!

Randy at Home
June 18th 04, 11:31 PM
"RT" > wrote in message
| 'Mayday' is a broadcast, not addressed to any specific station (from the
| French, "M'aidez" I expect = "Help me") and is repeated twice followed by
| the callsign 3 times.
|
| "Pan, pan, pan" is notification of a high priority transmission (possibly
| abbreviated 'PANic'?) addressed to a SPECIFIC station (eg, tower)
signifying
| what follows is urgent and important - eg, report of a road accident
you've
| just spotted, or a herd of elephants about to cross a busy runway. Your
| callsign is not repeated and the 'pan' label simply is used to separate
the
| transmission from the routine.

And here I thought "pan pan pan" also derived from French, from "pain", as
in

"Help I'm being hit over the head with a baguette. It's not an emergency
yet, but it will be when it goes stale in an hour or so"

(sorry, I probably should have resisted)

Cub Driver
June 19th 04, 10:58 AM
On 18 Jun 2004 08:28:23 -0700, (SelwayKid) wrote:

>A lot of my flight time is in remote areas of the world where it was
>nice to be able to hear someone on the radio!

And have you heard a Pan Pan call?

Just curious.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! weblog www.vivabush.org

Cub Driver
June 19th 04, 11:04 AM
On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 00:10:17 +1000, "RT" >
wrote:

>"Pan, pan, pan" is notification of a high priority transmission (possibly
>abbreviated 'PANic'?)

As posted, pan is from the French like all these distress calls.

Panne = breakdown, according to the Oxford English Dictionary. In
maritime use, it is supposed to be used when a vessel requires
assistance due to a sick or injured passenger. So says my daughter the
sailor.

(She got the renewal on her 100-ton license, BTW, from the same guy
who tested her 14 years ago. When she got the license, she'd never
docked a boat. The next week she set sail to Australia, and arrived
there still without ever having docked the boat.)

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! weblog www.vivabush.org

SelwayKid
June 21st 04, 03:03 PM
Cub Driver > wrote in message >...
> On 18 Jun 2004 08:28:23 -0700, (SelwayKid) wrote:
>
> >A lot of my flight time is in remote areas of the world where it was
> >nice to be able to hear someone on the radio!
>
> And have you heard a Pan Pan call?
>
> Just curious.
>
> all the best -- Dan Ford

Hello Dan
Yes I have heard one or two and I did at least one but my radio was
dead unknownst to me. Got lost in a sandstorm while ferrying a Cessna
Ag Husky from Cairo to Khartoum. Was part of a five aircraft flight
and got seperated. When I broke into the clear, everyone was gone. One
other Pan call that I recall was in Mozambique and they changed
frequencies so I never did learn what happened to them. That was in
the early 70's.
> email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)
>
> The Warbird's Forum www.warbirdforum.com
> The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com