PDA

View Full Version : Ron Wantaj?? XL file

Jerry Wass
March 1st 04, 06:12 PM
Hi Ron,

I got an E-mail letter & Excell file from ---is that
you??

I just reformatted my computer & lost a buncha stuff---is it something I
requested ??

I'm afraid to open it -(no virus protection right now) w/o confirmation.

Thanks ahead--
Jerry Wass

frank
March 2nd 04, 01:34 AM
Use an online scan from one of the major players.

Ron Wanttaja
March 2nd 04, 01:51 AM
On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 10:12:22 -0800, Jerry Wass > wrote:

>Hi Ron,
>
>I got an E-mail letter & Excell file from ---is that
>you??

Nope...I'm . Good call, being suspicious.

Fun thing is, I'm getting a lot of email from the "wanttaja dot com"
domain...which I own, and know DARN well who has mail aliases to.

Ron Wanttaja

Jan Carlsson
March 2nd 04, 07:52 AM
Looks Like it is from here.

http://www.bluebound.com/States/Idaho/sky_diving.htm

/Jan Carlsson
www.jcpropellerdesign.com

"Jerry Wass" > skrev i meddelandet

> Hi Ron,
>
> I got an E-mail letter & Excell file from ---is that
> you??
>
> I just reformatted my computer & lost a buncha stuff---is it something I
> requested ??
>
> I'm afraid to open it -(no virus protection right now) w/o confirmation.
>
> Thanks ahead--
> Jerry Wass

JAFO
March 2nd 04, 03:56 PM
On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 09:09:31 -0800, Jerry Wass >
wrote:

:WOW---I'LL NOT DO THAT AGAIN !!
:The instant I clicked open, I started getting this rapid beep-beep from my
:computer, the screen went ape s**t & I went for the off switch !! (gotta tie me
:a string on the
:power cord so I can jerk it from the wall quicker than waiting 5 sec for it to
:die .
:
:Upon restarting, I get this window (wdws-98) that says " we found a previous
:copy
:of your files that we can use for start up---press enter " (or words to that
:effect)
:
:WHUT HOPPEN??? Jerry

You got hit with a virus. It was spoofing the return address -
apparently someone else that was infected had your address and the
parachute people both in their address book.

Find a local shop, have them boot with a clean disk and find what
you're infected with.

As bad as it is, you're lucky that you got a virus that gave you an
immediate indication that something was seriously wrong. The worst
ones quietly destroy all your data in the background without you
knowing.

Jan Carlsson
March 2nd 04, 04:53 PM
The last days, Norton antivirus have been updating the virus definition
every day, normaly it is once a week.

I think it pay off to have a subscription on updates.

I hope I didn't lead you on to something bad. it was not my intention.

Jan.

"JAFO" > skrev i meddelandet
> On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 09:09:31 -0800, Jerry Wass >
> wrote:
>
> :WOW---I'LL NOT DO THAT AGAIN !!
> :The instant I clicked open, I started getting this rapid beep-beep from
my
> :computer, the screen went ape s**t & I went for the off switch !! (gotta
tie me
> :a string on the
> :power cord so I can jerk it from the wall quicker than waiting 5 sec for
it to
> :die .
> :
> :Upon restarting, I get this window (wdws-98) that says " we found a
previous
> :copy
> :of your files that we can use for start up---press enter " (or words to
that
> :effect)
> :
> :WHUT HOPPEN??? Jerry
>
> You got hit with a virus. It was spoofing the return address -
> apparently someone else that was infected had your address and the
> parachute people both in their address book.
>
> Find a local shop, have them boot with a clean disk and find what
> you're infected with.
>
> As bad as it is, you're lucky that you got a virus that gave you an
> immediate indication that something was seriously wrong. The worst
> ones quietly destroy all your data in the background without you
> knowing.

Jerry Wass
March 2nd 04, 04:54 PM
Thank You, Jan---I'll go open it now.. Jerry Wass

Jan Carlsson wrote:

> Looks Like it is from here.
>
> http://www.bluebound.com/States/Idaho/sky_diving.htm
>
> /Jan Carlsson
> www.jcpropellerdesign.com
>
> "Jerry Wass" > skrev i meddelandet
> >
> > Hi Ron,
> >
> > I got an E-mail letter & Excell file from ---is that
> > you??
> >
> > I just reformatted my computer & lost a buncha stuff---is it something I
> > requested ??
> >
> > I'm afraid to open it -(no virus protection right now) w/o confirmation.
> >
> > Thanks ahead--
> > Jerry Wass

Jerry Wass
March 2nd 04, 05:09 PM

Jerry Wass wrote:

> Thank You, Jan---I'll go open it now.. Jerry Wass
>
> Jan Carlsson wrote:
>
> > Looks Like it is from here.
> >
> > http://www.bluebound.com/States/Idaho/sky_diving.htm
> >
> > /Jan Carlsson
> > www.jcpropellerdesign.com
> >
> > "Jerry Wass" > skrev i meddelandet
> > >
> > > Hi Ron,
> > >
> > > I got an E-mail letter & Excell file from ---is that
> > > you??
> > >
> > > I just reformatted my computer & lost a buncha stuff---is it something I
> > > requested ??
> > >
> > > I'm afraid to open it -(no virus protection right now) w/o confirmation.
> > >
> > > Thanks ahead--
> > > Jerry Wass

Jerry Wass
March 2nd 04, 09:12 PM
No, Jan, I now realize you said --"looks like it came from here" meaning the
Idaho
skyjumpers , not your website.---Just too curious on my part..---And I just
reformatted last weekend!!!--usually my server screens all this stuff, but they
must not look into XL files...Jerry

Jan Carlsson wrote:

> The last days, Norton antivirus have been updating the virus definition
> every day, normaly it is once a week.
>
> I think it pay off to have a subscription on updates.
>
> I hope I didn't lead you on to something bad. it was not my intention.
>
> Jan.
>
> "JAFO" > skrev i meddelandet
> > On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 09:09:31 -0800, Jerry Wass >
> > wrote:
> >
> > :WOW---I'LL NOT DO THAT AGAIN !!
> > :The instant I clicked open, I started getting this rapid beep-beep from
> my
> > :computer, the screen went ape s**t & I went for the off switch !! (gotta
> tie me
> > :a string on the
> > :power cord so I can jerk it from the wall quicker than waiting 5 sec for
> it to
> > :die .
> > :
> > :Upon restarting, I get this window (wdws-98) that says " we found a
> previous
> > :copy
> > :of your files that we can use for start up---press enter " (or words to
> that
> > :effect)
> > :
> > :WHUT HOPPEN??? Jerry
> >
> > You got hit with a virus. It was spoofing the return address -
> > apparently someone else that was infected had your address and the
> > parachute people both in their address book.
> >
> > Find a local shop, have them boot with a clean disk and find what
> > you're infected with.
> >
> > As bad as it is, you're lucky that you got a virus that gave you an
> > immediate indication that something was seriously wrong. The worst
> > ones quietly destroy all your data in the background without you
> > knowing.

frank
March 3rd 04, 03:22 AM
Jerry Wass wrote:

> No, Jan, I now realize you said --"looks like it came from here" meaning
> the Idaho
> skyjumpers , not your website.---Just too curious on my part..---And I
> just reformatted last weekend!!!--usually my server screens all this
> stuff, but they must not look into XL files...Jerry
>
> Jan Carlsson wrote:
>
>> The last days, Norton antivirus have been updating the virus definition
>> every day, normaly it is once a week.
>>
>> I think it pay off to have a subscription on updates.
>>
>> I hope I didn't lead you on to something bad. it was not my intention.
>>
>> Jan.
>>
>> "JAFO" > skrev i meddelandet
>> > On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 09:09:31 -0800, Jerry Wass >
>> > wrote:
>> >
>> > :WOW---I'LL NOT DO THAT AGAIN !!
>> > :The instant I clicked open, I started getting this rapid beep-beep
>> > :from
>> my
>> > :computer, the screen went ape s**t & I went for the off switch !!
>> > :(gotta
>> tie me
>> > :a string on the
>> > :power cord so I can jerk it from the wall quicker than waiting 5 sec
>> > :for
>> it to
>> > :die .
>> > :
>> > :Upon restarting, I get this window (wdws-98) that says " we found a
>> previous
>> > :copy
>> > :of your files that we can use for start up---press enter " (or words
>> that
>> > :effect)
>> > :
>> > :WHUT HOPPEN??? Jerry
>> >
>> > You got hit with a virus. It was spoofing the return address -
>> > apparently someone else that was infected had your address and the
>> > parachute people both in their address book.
>> >
>> > Find a local shop, have them boot with a clean disk and find what
>> > you're infected with.
>> >
>> > As bad as it is, you're lucky that you got a virus that gave you an
>> > immediate indication that something was seriously wrong. The worst
>> > ones quietly destroy all your data in the background without you
>> > knowing.

Next time go to www.symantec and use their online scan to check 1 folder or
your entire hardrive. NO CHARGE

Google