PDA

View Full Version : Formation flight panicks Bostonians

June 24th 04, 02:20 PM
From today's AVWeb:

FORMATION PHOTO SHOOT PANICS BOSTONIANS
In another time, Boston residents might have thrilled to the sight of
Sean D. Tucker leading a formation of four aerobatic aircraft on a
photo shoot overhead. But in the post-9/11 world, office workers
stream outside not for a better view but because they think they might
be under attack. Such was the case last Friday when the flight, all
properly approved by the FAA, was launched to provide publicity photos
for a local air show. At least 50 people fled the Prudential
building's 23rd floor and about 100 gathered on the ground after the
planes flew by.
"Give me the name of the person who sanctioned this so I can become a
crazy person and call them four times a day and demand an
explanation," said one worker who asked that The Boston Globe not
identify him. "We're all still on edge. We don't need this.
http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/256-full.html#187550

Geeze. I can understand why the guy who said "so I can become a crazy
person and call them four times a day and demand an explanation"
didn't want to be identified. He **IS** a crazy person. Giuliot
Douhet's 1921 treatise "Command of the air" has finally come to
fruition, only there were no bombers, no bombs, not even a war going
on, just four light aerobatic airplanes flying passively in formation.

"Everyone in the world is crazy except for thee and me, and sometimes
I wonder about thee." Old Quaker saying.

Corky Scott

Peter Duniho
June 24th 04, 07:07 PM
> wrote in message
> [...]
> Geeze. I can understand why the guy who said "so I can become a crazy
> person and call them four times a day and demand an explanation"
> didn't want to be identified. He **IS** a crazy person.

I'm trying to figure out which is worse: a crazy person (or 50) who panic
when they see some planes, or a newspaper (The Boston Globe) who reports on
the event and quotes one of the crazy people as if they had a point.

C J Campbell
June 25th 04, 06:30 AM
"Peter Duniho" > wrote in message
> > wrote in message
> > [...]
> > Geeze. I can understand why the guy who said "so I can become a crazy
> > person and call them four times a day and demand an explanation"
> > didn't want to be identified. He **IS** a crazy person.
>
> I'm trying to figure out which is worse: a crazy person (or 50) who panic
> when they see some planes, or a newspaper (The Boston Globe) who reports
on
> the event and quotes one of the crazy people as if they had a point.

Jeppesen's Guided Flight Discovery Flight Instructor book has a point: have
you ever read a news article about a small airplane that took off, flew
somewhere without incident, and landed safely at its destination?

Of course not, because that is not news. The fact is that people are
voyeurs. They like to read about bad news. The news media like to use this
to manipulate public opinion -- blaming all the bad news on Republicans, for
example. But it is hardly their fault that there is something very morbid in
human nature.

VideoGuy
June 25th 04, 07:08 AM
"Peter Duniho" > wrote in message
> > wrote in message
> > [...]
> > Geeze. I can understand why the guy who said "so I can become a crazy
> > person and call them four times a day and demand an explanation"
> > didn't want to be identified. He **IS** a crazy person.
>
> I'm trying to figure out which is worse: a crazy person (or 50) who panic
> when they see some planes, or a newspaper (The Boston Globe) who reports
on
> the event and quotes one of the crazy people as if they had a point.

IIRC Boston is in Massachusettes -
The ONLY state McGovern carried in '72
The state that continuously re-elects Ted 'the bridge just jumped out in
front of me' Kennedy
The state with one of the HIGHEST tax rates in the nation
The state with one of the highest costs of government in the country
A city where the Boston Globe still sells it's bilgewater on a daily basis
etc. etc. etc.

Seems like there hasn't been much improvement in rational thought in the
last 30+ years.

GWK

Gene Seibel
June 25th 04, 03:58 PM
It's time we outlaw windows in buildings.
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 - http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html

wrote in message >...
> From today's AVWeb:
>
> FORMATION PHOTO SHOOT PANICS BOSTONIANS
> In another time, Boston residents might have thrilled to the sight of
> Sean D. Tucker leading a formation of four aerobatic aircraft on a
> photo shoot overhead. But in the post-9/11 world, office workers
> stream outside not for a better view but because they think they might
> be under attack. Such was the case last Friday when the flight, all
> properly approved by the FAA, was launched to provide publicity photos
> for a local air show. At least 50 people fled the Prudential
> building's 23rd floor and about 100 gathered on the ground after the
> planes flew by.
> "Give me the name of the person who sanctioned this so I can become a
> crazy person and call them four times a day and demand an
> explanation," said one worker who asked that The Boston Globe not
> identify him. "We're all still on edge. We don't need this.
> http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/256-full.html#187550
>
> Geeze. I can understand why the guy who said "so I can become a crazy
> person and call them four times a day and demand an explanation"
> didn't want to be identified. He **IS** a crazy person. Giuliot
> Douhet's 1921 treatise "Command of the air" has finally come to
> fruition, only there were no bombers, no bombs, not even a war going
> on, just four light aerobatic airplanes flying passively in formation.
>
> "Everyone in the world is crazy except for thee and me, and sometimes
> I wonder about thee." Old Quaker saying.
>
> Corky Scott

Teacherjh
June 25th 04, 04:23 PM

It's time we outlaw windows in buildings.

> FORMATION PHOTO SHOOT PANICS BOSTONIANS
> [...]
> "Give me the name of the person who sanctioned this so I can become a
> crazy person and call them four times a day and demand an
> explanation," said one worker who asked that The Boston Globe not
> identify him. "We're all still on edge. We don't need this.

I agree. In fact, we should outlaw Windows on laptops too. <flee!>

Jose

Dan Truesdell
June 25th 04, 04:36 PM
Teacherjh wrote:
> It's time we outlaw windows in buildings.
>

>>FORMATION PHOTO SHOOT PANICS BOSTONIANS
>>[...]
>>"Give me the name of the person who sanctioned this so I can become a
>>crazy person and call them four times a day and demand an
>>explanation," said one worker who asked that The Boston Globe not
>>identify him. "We're all still on edge. We don't need this.
>>

> I agree. In fact, we should outlaw Windows on laptops too. <flee!>

ROTFLOL!

--
Remove "2PLANES" to reply.

C J Campbell
June 25th 04, 04:56 PM
"Teacherjh" > wrote in message

> It's time we outlaw windows in buildings.
>
> > FORMATION PHOTO SHOOT PANICS BOSTONIANS
> > [...]
> > "Give me the name of the person who sanctioned this so I can become a
> > crazy person and call them four times a day and demand an
> > explanation," said one worker who asked that The Boston Globe not
> > identify him. "We're all still on edge. We don't need this.
> >>

> I agree. In fact, we should outlaw Windows on laptops too. <flee!>

Don't Unix come from those A-rab countries?

Tom Sixkiller
June 25th 04, 05:17 PM
"C J Campbell" > wrote in message

> "Teacherjh" > wrote in message
> > >>
> > It's time we outlaw windows in buildings.
> >
> > > FORMATION PHOTO SHOOT PANICS BOSTONIANS
> > > [...]
> > > "Give me the name of the person who sanctioned this so I can become a
> > > crazy person and call them four times a day and demand an
> > > explanation," said one worker who asked that The Boston Globe not
> > > identify him. "We're all still on edge. We don't need this.
> > >>

> > I agree. In fact, we should outlaw Windows on laptops too. <flee!>
>
> Don't Unix come from those A-rab countries?

Bell Labs is A-rab?

C J Campbell
June 25th 04, 06:31 PM
"Tom Sixkiller" > wrote in message

> "C J Campbell" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Teacherjh" > wrote in message
> > > >>
> > > It's time we outlaw windows in buildings.

> > > I agree. In fact, we should outlaw Windows on laptops too. <flee!>
> >
> > Don't Unix come from those A-rab countries?
>
> Bell Labs is A-rab?

Hey, I read the 1,001 Arabian Nights -- all of them. And them stories are
just full of harems of beautiful women guarded by Unix.

Tom Sixkiller
June 25th 04, 06:44 PM
"C J Campbell" > wrote in message
> > > Don't Unix come from those A-rab countries?
> >
> > Bell Labs is A-rab?
>
> Hey, I read the 1,001 Arabian Nights -- all of them. And them stories are
> just full of harems of beautiful women guarded by Unix.

Tom Sixkiller
June 25th 04, 06:45 PM
"C J Campbell" > wrote in message

> > > Don't Unix come from those A-rab countries?
> >
> > Bell Labs is A-rab?
>
> Hey, I read the 1,001 Arabian Nights -- all of them. And them stories are
> just full of harems of beautiful women guarded by Unix.

Damn...I can't find that Dilbert cartoon about the pointy haired boss trying
to get Eunuch programmers...

BTIZ
June 26th 04, 01:17 AM
My daughter's response.. she attends UMASS Boston...

-------
My friend Linda and I were on our way to North Station to pick up the train
to Salem. We were at the school shuttle bus stop, and I heard the planes,
and I went "Oooooooo! Biplanes!". I thought nothing else, but I wondered
what air show they were headed for.

The next day, in the Globe, that article. It made me angry at the utter
inability of my fellow Bostonians to process information in a logical
fashion. Biplanes, usually, are pretty hard to come by, and I assume that
flying them is fairly more difficult than hijacking a heavy metal airliner.

"Several people phoned the Boston Police to report 'planes on fire in the
sky'," said the article. Apparently, not many can tell white trick smoke
from the true billowing black of a plane on fire, either. The four planes
circled three times, keeping formation, and then left the area. People are
irate because the FAA did not alert the police to the impending flight --
and I said, why should they? The flight was not a danger, and maybe they
just figured people could tell a simple flight show formation from a plane
on a rampage? One man, in the article, angrily declared: "September 11 just
happened! We don't need something like this!" Excuse me, but September 11,
2001 was two and a half years ago.

It's time to stop living in the shadow of fear and get back to living your
lives, people, just like you were living them before the attacks. I live and
work and go to school right under the most-used flight path to Logan. As I
was sitting outside the office yesterday, I noticed that an Air France, two
Songs, and an Aer Lingus were landing. I could read them clearly -- wouldn't
that be a little close for comfort for Crazy Prudential Man?

I didn't mind, but then again, spending your formative years on an Air Force
base will make you aware of what planes should and should not be doing. I
know that I am on the entrance path to Logan, and so I am aware of what the
planes are doing. If I didn't know that, I might be nervous, but I know, and
knowledge is the power to assess situations and act and react according. If
I saw a plane that low over Back Bay, or Melrose, or Grandma's house, then I
would have cause to worry -- because I know that planes should not be there
like that. Be aware of your surroundings, people!

You should have always been aware of where you were and what was going on.
The airport and the MBTA shouldn't have to be telling you to keep an eye out
for suspicious persons or events, because you should have been doing that
already! It's common sense to know what is usual and unusual in your
environment -- it's what keeps little fluffy bunnies alive in the
wilderness, and we aren't bunnies, and we don't live in the wild, so we
should be able to at least do what the bunnies do! GET WITH THE PROGRAM,
PEOPLE!

> wrote in message
> From today's AVWeb:
>
> FORMATION PHOTO SHOOT PANICS BOSTONIANS

zatatime
June 26th 04, 11:54 PM
Did she send this into the paper? It'd be great if she did!

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 17:17:24 -0700, "BTIZ"
> [...]

>planes are doing. If I didn't know that, I might be nervous, but I know, and
>knowledge is the power to assess situations and act and react according. If
>I saw a plane that low over Back Bay, or Melrose, or Grandma's house, then I
>would have cause to worry -- because I know that planes should not be there
>like that. Be aware of your surroundings, people!
>
>You should have always been aware of where you were and what was going on.
>The airport and the MBTA shouldn't have to be telling you to keep an eye out
>for suspicious persons or events, because you should have been doing that
>already! It's common sense to know what is usual and unusual in your
>environment -- it's what keeps little fluffy bunnies alive in the
>wilderness, and we aren't bunnies, and we don't live in the wild, so we
>should be able to at least do what the bunnies do! GET WITH THE PROGRAM,

Blanche
June 27th 04, 02:50 AM
Somewhere around the house I have this great bumper sticker:

I remember when mice were caught,
Windows were washed, and
Eunuchs guarded the harem....

Andrew Gideon
June 27th 04, 04:15 PM
Blanche wrote:

> Eunuchs guarded the harem....

So if we're speaking of having a history of trustworthiness...

<Laugh>

- Andrew

C J Campbell
June 28th 04, 04:52 PM
"Andrew Gideon" > wrote in message
online.com...
> Blanche wrote:
>
> > Eunuchs guarded the harem....
>
> So if we're speaking of having a history of trustworthiness...

To the contrary, there are many stories of eunuchs running off with harem
girls.

Andrew Gideon
June 28th 04, 05:14 PM
C J Campbell wrote:

> To the contrary, there are many stories of eunuchs running off with harem
> girls.

Okay. I'll ask the obvious next question: why?

- Andrew

C J Campbell
June 28th 04, 08:36 PM
"Andrew Gideon" > wrote in message
online.com...
> C J Campbell wrote:
>
> > To the contrary, there are many stories of eunuchs running off with
harem
> > girls.
>
> Okay. I'll ask the obvious next question: why?

Depends on the type of eunuch. If merely the testicles are removed, the
eunuch may still be functional otherwise.

Andrew Gideon
June 29th 04, 02:05 AM
C J Campbell wrote:

> Depends on the type of eunuch. If merely the testicles are removed, the
> eunuch may still be functional otherwise.

Talk about "not making the cut".

- Andrew

Tiffani
June 29th 04, 04:04 AM
VideoGuy wrote:

> "Peter Duniho" > wrote in message
> > > wrote in message
> > > [...]
> > > Geeze. I can understand why the guy who said "so I can become a crazy
> > > person and call them four times a day and demand an explanation"
> > > didn't want to be identified. He **IS** a crazy person.
> >
> > I'm trying to figure out which is worse: a crazy person (or 50) who panic
> > when they see some planes, or a newspaper (The Boston Globe) who reports
> on
> > the event and quotes one of the crazy people as if they had a point.
> >
> IIRC Boston is in Massachusettes -

If you remember correctly?

> The ONLY state McGovern carried in '72

That was a long time ago. Massachusetts also voted for Reagan. Twice.

> The state that continuously re-elects Ted 'the bridge just jumped out in
> front of me' Kennedy

Love him or hate him, he has a lot of seniority, which is what counts in the
Senate.

> The state with one of the HIGHEST tax rates in the nation

Huh? Where did you get that from? The trend in Massachusetts over the past
years has been DECREASING taxes while many other states have raised theirs.
Massachusetts has the 36th highest tax burden in the nation, according to the
independent Tax Foundation. How do you figure that 36 ranks among the highest
in 50 states?????

> The state with one of the highest costs of government in the country

According to ....? Where do you get your "facts" from?

> A city where the Boston Globe still sells it's bilgewater on a daily basis
> etc. etc. etc.

Well the Boston Globe "bilgewater" appears to be a lot more accurate than your
post here. Yeah, Globe is a liberal paper. So what? Compare with New York,
San Francisco, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, Washington, Miami, etc etc. Of
course Boston is also a two newspaper town, with papers of different
viewpoints, an increasing rarity across the US.

> Seems like there hasn't been much improvement in rational thought in the
> last 30+ years.

Your 30+ years of memory is quite conveniently selective.

Tom Sixkiller
June 29th 04, 04:25 AM
"Tiffani" > wrote in message

> VideoGuy wrote:

> > > I'm trying to figure out which is worse: a crazy person (or 50) who
panic
> > > when they see some planes, or a newspaper (The Boston Globe) who
reports
> > on
> > > the event and quotes one of the crazy people as if they had a point.
> > >
> > IIRC Boston is in Massachusettes -
>
> If you remember correctly?
>

> > The ONLY state McGovern carried in '72
>
> That was a long time ago. Massachusetts also voted for Reagan. Twice.

Once.

> > The state that continuously re-elects Ted 'the bridge just jumped out in
> > front of me' Kennedy
>
> Love him or hate him, he has a lot of seniority, which is what counts in
the
> Senate.
>

> > Seems like there hasn't been much improvement in rational thought in the
> > last 30+ years.
>
> Your 30+ years of memory is quite conveniently selective.

Your 24 year memory is pretty convenient, too.

Sam
June 29th 04, 11:40 AM
"BTIZ" > wrote in message news:<kg3Dc.26$z81.5@fed1read01>...
> My daughter's response.. she attends UMASS Boston...
>
> <snip!>

Wow, you're daughter's cool! I hope she sent that to the paper as
well, as it is an excellent response. I'm a little surprised that
there are so many morons in Boston (isn't it supposed to be a super
educated city?). I don't know what's going on out there, but
everywhere else in the country I've seen planes flying around cities.
Perhaps the people complaining weren't really afraid of the
"dangerous" GA biplanes, but rather felt it was a good excuse to shoot
their mouths off.

Google