PDA

View Full Version : Cananian airspace

Mike Rapoport
June 25th 04, 03:02 AM
What type of airspace is the restricted airspace north of Vancouver Island.
Flightmap lists it as COMOX and says that it reaches from 18,000MSL to
Unlimited. It is big, about 165nm on the NS axis and 110nm EW. What are my
chances at getting cleared through it at FL240?

Thanks!

Mike
MU-2

Paul Tomblin
June 25th 04, 03:12 AM
In a previous article, "Mike Rapoport" > said:
>What type of airspace is the restricted airspace north of Vancouver Island.
>Flightmap lists it as COMOX and says that it reaches from 18,000MSL to
>Unlimited. It is big, about 165nm on the NS axis and 110nm EW. What are my
>chances at getting cleared through it at FL240?

What's the designation?

--
Paul Tomblin > http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
....would you work for a company that couldn't tell the difference in

Mike Rapoport
June 25th 04, 03:34 AM
Flightmap shows no information except the name "Comox" the altitudes
"18,000/Unlimited" and that "Comox Terminal Control" is the controlling
agency.

Mike
MU-2

said:
> >What type of airspace is the restricted airspace north of Vancouver
Island.
> >Flightmap lists it as COMOX and says that it reaches from 18,000MSL to
> >Unlimited. It is big, about 165nm on the NS axis and 110nm EW. What are
my
> >chances at getting cleared through it at FL240?
>
> What's the designation?
>

> --
> Paul Tomblin > http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
> ...would you work for a company that couldn't tell the difference in
> quality of its employees' normal work product and the work product of
> someone on drugs without performing a test? -- socks

Ender
June 25th 04, 04:38 AM
Mike Rapoport wrote:
> Flightmap shows no information except the name "Comox" the altitudes
> "18,000/Unlimited" and that "Comox Terminal Control" is the controlling
> agency.
>
> Mike
> MU-2

More than likely something to do with CFB Comox

I dunno your chances of getting through though I'd speculate they're
pretty good.

Rob McDonald
June 25th 04, 04:50 AM
That would be CFB Comox, i.e. a military base.

Rob

"Mike Rapoport" > wrote in
link.net:

--

Brendan Grace
June 25th 04, 11:54 AM

Brendan Grace

"Ender" > wrote in message
> Mike Rapoport wrote:
> > Flightmap shows no information except the name "Comox" the
altitudes
> > "18,000/Unlimited" and that "Comox Terminal Control" is the
controlling
> > agency.
> >
> > Mike
> > MU-2
>
> More than likely something to do with CFB Comox
>
> I dunno your chances of getting through though I'd speculate
they're
> pretty good.

Brendan Grace
June 26th 04, 12:22 AM
Negative. I am in the Canadian military (Air Force) and Comox is
most definitely NOT a fighter base. It does on occasion host
CF-18s in limited numbers.

"steve" > wrote in message
> Slim to none.....Comox is a fighter base with frequent
activity....just go
> under

onsitewelding
June 26th 04, 04:45 AM
I thought CFB Comox is the home of 442 Squadron "Search and rescue". To my
understanding CF-18's are there only occasionaly when visiting out of CFB
Cold Lake Alberta.

"Brendan Grace" > wrote in message
> Negative. I am in the Canadian military (Air Force) and Comox is
> most definitely NOT a fighter base. It does on occasion host
> CF-18s in limited numbers.
>

> "steve" > wrote in message
> > Slim to none.....Comox is a fighter base with frequent
> activity....just go
> > under

Brendan Grace
June 26th 04, 12:57 PM
You are part correct. We have a Maritime Patrol squadron and a
Search and Rescue squadron based at Comox. Occasionally CF-18s
from Cold Lake fly out of Comox. Use the link to learn more about
Comox. It is the official military site available on the
internet.

http://www.airforce.dnd.ca/19wing/site/index_e.asp

Brendan Grace

"onsitewelding" > wrote in message
> I thought CFB Comox is the home of 442 Squadron "Search and
rescue". To my
> understanding CF-18's are there only occasionaly when visiting
out of CFB
> Cold Lake Alberta.
>
> "Brendan Grace" > wrote in message
> > Negative. I am in the Canadian military (Air Force) and
Comox is
> > most definitely NOT a fighter base. It does on occasion host
> > CF-18s in limited numbers.
> >

> > "steve" > wrote in message
> > > Slim to none.....Comox is a fighter base with frequent
> > activity....just go
> > > under

Mike Rapoport
June 29th 04, 08:20 PM
I guess that I am lucky then, I was cleared through direct both ways and
there were military aircraft using the airspace.

Mike
MU-2

"steve" > wrote in message
> Slim to none.....Comox is a fighter base with frequent activity....just go
> under
> "Mike Rapoport" > wrote in message
> link.net...
> > What type of airspace is the restricted airspace north of Vancouver
> Island.
> > Flightmap lists it as COMOX and says that it reaches from 18,000MSL to
> > Unlimited. It is big, about 165nm on the NS axis and 110nm EW. What
are
> my
> > chances at getting cleared through it at FL240?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Mike
> > MU-2

Google