PDA

View Full Version : definition of engine "on condition"

TD
June 29th 04, 05:32 AM
I am looking at some planes and am asking what "on condition" means with
regards to engines.

Thanks,

Tien

Colin
June 29th 04, 07:37 AM
"TD" > wrote:

>I am looking at some planes and am asking what "on condition" means with
>regards to engines.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Tien

Dispensation to continue in use past the official "Time Between
Overhaul" (TBO) providing none of the maufacturer's limits on
condition are exceeded. eg: cylinder compression and crank endfloat.

Don Hammer
June 30th 04, 01:11 AM
On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 07:37:15 +0100, Colin > wrote:

>"TD" > wrote:
>
>>I am looking at some planes and am asking what "on condition" means with
>>regards to engines.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Tien
>>

>Dispensation to continue in use past the official "Time Between
>Overhaul" (TBO) providing none of the maufacturer's limits on
>condition are exceeded. eg: cylinder compression and crank endfloat.

"On Condition" means that exactly that for any component, not just
engines. TBO is not the issue. You test per the manufacturer's
instructions periodically at the scheduled interval and if it doesn't
meet the manufacturer's standards you restore it to those standards by
overhaul etc. Of course, life limits are controlling and the
component or sub-component scrapped when that limit is reached.

Contrary to popular opinion, "On Condition" does not mean fly to fail
for any component.

Don

Google