PDA

View Full Version : How much for a medical in your area?

Greg Houston
July 8th 04, 06:40 PM
x-no-archive: yes

What are Class III and Class II medicals going for in you area, for
example metro Boston or metro Philadelphia? I've run into the problem
that the AMEs I've called are too busy with their regular practice to
do medicals. Unfortunately, the FAA only permits so many AMEs per
each county, depending on the number of certified pilots there.

-GH

Matt Young
July 8th 04, 07:07 PM
Mine was either $60 or $80 for a class III in Ft. Smith, AR. It's been
a couple of years, so I'm not sure what the rate was.

Greg Houston wrote:

> x-no-archive: yes
>
> What are Class III and Class II medicals going for in you area, for
> example metro Boston or metro Philadelphia? I've run into the problem
> that the AMEs I've called are too busy with their regular practice to
> do medicals. Unfortunately, the FAA only permits so many AMEs per
> each county, depending on the number of certified pilots there.
>
> -GH

Kevin Kubiak
July 8th 04, 07:12 PM
My most recent medical for my student pilot certificate
cost me $80.00. This was Jan of this year. I live in the Chicago area
(northwest suburbs)

Kevin Kubiak

On 7/8/2004 12:40 PM, Greg Houston wrote:
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> What are Class III and Class II medicals going for in you area, for
> example metro Boston or metro Philadelphia? I've run into the problem
> that the AMEs I've called are too busy with their regular practice to
> do medicals. Unfortunately, the FAA only permits so many AMEs per
> each county, depending on the number of certified pilots there.
>
> -GH

Dan Luke
July 8th 04, 07:25 PM
"Greg Houston" wrote:
> What are Class III and Class II medicals going for in you area,

Twenty-five bucks for my Class III last October in Mobile, AL.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

kontiki
July 8th 04, 07:27 PM
Just had one in April (Class II) and it was $90, Statesboro, GA.

Greg Houston wrote:
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> What are Class III and Class II medicals going for in you area, for
> example metro Boston or metro Philadelphia? I've run into the problem
> that the AMEs I've called are too busy with their regular practice to
> do medicals. Unfortunately, the FAA only permits so many AMEs per
> each county, depending on the number of certified pilots there.
>
> -GH

Peter Gottlieb
July 8th 04, 07:29 PM
$100, Westchester County, NY

"Greg Houston" > wrote in message
om...
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> What are Class III and Class II medicals going for in you area, for
> example metro Boston or metro Philadelphia? I've run into the problem
> that the AMEs I've called are too busy with their regular practice to
> do medicals. Unfortunately, the FAA only permits so many AMEs per
> each county, depending on the number of certified pilots there.
>
> -GH

Richard Russell
July 8th 04, 07:38 PM
On 8 Jul 2004 10:40:25 -0700, (Greg Houston) wrote:

>x-no-archive: yes
>
>What are Class III and Class II medicals going for in you area, for
>example metro Boston or metro Philadelphia? I've run into the problem
>that the AMEs I've called are too busy with their regular practice to
>do medicals. Unfortunately, the FAA only permits so many AMEs per
>each county, depending on the number of certified pilots there.
>
>-GH

Suburban Philly, $70.

Joe Johnson
July 8th 04, 07:44 PM
$80, August, 2003, Westchester County, New York

NW_PILOT
July 8th 04, 09:14 PM
$60.00 for Class I, II, & III CVO, Oregon

"Greg Houston" > wrote in message
om...
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> What are Class III and Class II medicals going for in you area, for
> example metro Boston or metro Philadelphia? I've run into the problem
> that the AMEs I've called are too busy with their regular practice to
> do medicals. Unfortunately, the FAA only permits so many AMEs per
> each county, depending on the number of certified pilots there.
>
> -GH

Chris Ehlbeck
July 8th 04, 11:08 PM
It'd almost be worth a cross country to Mobile for that!

--
Chris Ehlbeck, PPASEL
"It's a license to learn."

"Dan Luke" > wrote in message

> "Greg Houston" wrote:
> > What are Class III and Class II medicals going for in you area,
>
> Twenty-five bucks for my Class III last October in Mobile, AL.
> --
> Dan
> C172RG at BFM

RM
July 8th 04, 11:18 PM
"Joe Johnson" > wrote in message >...
> $80, August, 2003, Westchester County, New York

$80, Dallas, Dec. 2002.

Rosspilot
July 8th 04, 11:35 PM
2nd Cl Medical $100.00

Paramus, NJ and Mahwah, NJ

www.Rosspilot.com

Clay
July 8th 04, 11:39 PM
"Joe Johnson" > wrote in message >...
> $80, August, 2003, Westchester County, New York

$60 in Wichita for a Class II.

Rip
July 9th 04, 01:42 AM
Greg, please indicate where that comes from. To my knowledge (and I've
been wrong before, believe it or not) an AME can practice anywhere, and
anytime, his/her medical license is valid. The FAA does not regulate
doctors, per se. FWIW, I paid $90 this year for a 2nd class in Connecticut.

Rip

Greg Houston wrote:

> x-no-archive: yes
>
> What are Class III and Class II medicals going for in you area, for
> example metro Boston or metro Philadelphia? I've run into the problem
> that the AMEs I've called are too busy with their regular practice to
> do medicals. Unfortunately, the FAA only permits so many AMEs per
> each county, depending on the number of certified pilots there.
>
> -GH

Ditch
July 9th 04, 04:08 AM
$100.00 for mine in Oakland, CA.
This was May of 2004.

-John
*You are nothing until you have flown a Douglas, Lockheed, Grumman or North
American*

steve
July 9th 04, 04:30 AM
Chatham, Ont....$75 CDN
"Greg Houston" > wrote in message
om...
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> What are Class III and Class II medicals going for in you area, for
> example metro Boston or metro Philadelphia? I've run into the problem
> that the AMEs I've called are too busy with their regular practice to
> do medicals. Unfortunately, the FAA only permits so many AMEs per
> each county, depending on the number of certified pilots there.
>
> -GH

BTIZ
July 9th 04, 05:16 AM
Las Vegas.. Class II, $85

We have a great AME here.. he takes care of a lot of the airline and
corporate pilots in this area, he also is a Comm/IFR pilot.. call for an
appointment.. plan on a Thurs or Friday morning.. it's "assembly line" style
with excellent staff at all the "stations".. but you are in and out.. in the
order you arrive.. with no significant waiting

BT

"Greg Houston" > wrote in message
om...
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> What are Class III and Class II medicals going for in you area, for
> example metro Boston or metro Philadelphia? I've run into the problem
> that the AMEs I've called are too busy with their regular practice to
> do medicals. Unfortunately, the FAA only permits so many AMEs per
> each county, depending on the number of certified pilots there.
>
> -GH

Cub Driver
July 9th 04, 11:00 AM
>What are Class III and Class II medicals going for in you area, for
>example metro Boston or metro Philadelphia? I've run into the problem
>that the AMEs I've called are too busy with their regular practice to
>do medicals. Unfortunately, the FAA only permits so many AMEs per
>each county, depending on the number of certified pilots there.

My AME was a pilot/doctor in private practice. Happily for me, he
decided to retire into full-time AME practice. (I hope he prospers!)
I've had three medicals with him, and each time the cost was $65.
Small city, southeastern New Hampshire.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! weblog www.vivabush.org

Viperdoc
July 9th 04, 01:15 PM
The location of AME's is governed by the regional flight surgeon, who
determines the need for additional AME's in any given area. A physician can
not simply set up an office in a new location and start working as an AME.

My exams are FREE, since they're performed as part of our annual Air Force
flying exam.

Jim N
MD, AME

Hankal
July 9th 04, 02:52 PM
>Mine was either $60 or $80 for a class III in Ft. Smith, AR.

Just had mine done July 7 2004 in Lantana FL KLNA. a whopping $100.00
Hank

RAM
July 9th 04, 06:36 PM
$58 Class III last month -- Horseheads, NY (near Elmira -- in the Southern
Tier) . Looks like I got a bargain.

"Greg Houston" > wrote in message
om...
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> What are Class III and Class II medicals going for in you area, for
> example metro Boston or metro Philadelphia? I've run into the problem
> that the AMEs I've called are too busy with their regular practice to
> do medicals. Unfortunately, the FAA only permits so many AMEs per
> each county, depending on the number of certified pilots there.
>
> -GH

July 9th 04, 10:51 PM
On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 17:36:51 GMT, "RAM" > wrote:

>$58 Class III last month -- Horseheads, NY (near Elmira -- in the Southern
>Tier) . Looks like I got a bargain.
>

>"Greg Houston" > wrote in message
om...
>> x-no-archive: yes
>>
>> What are Class III and Class II medicals going for in you area, for
>> example metro Boston or metro Philadelphia? I've run into the problem
>> that the AMEs I've called are too busy with their regular practice to
>> do medicals. Unfortunately, the FAA only permits so many AMEs per
>> each county, depending on the number of certified pilots there.
>>
>> -GH

Be thankful you're in the US.
Last January I paid $86 in Honolulu for my FAA PPL certificate and
yesterday I paid £198 (approx. $336) for my UK PPL which requires an
ECG and done every year.

David

E-mail (Remove Space after pilot): pilot

Ben Haas
July 9th 04, 11:40 PM
(Hankal) wrote in message >...
> >Mine was either $60 or $80 for a class III in Ft. Smith, AR.
>
> Just had mine done July 7 2004 in Lantana FL KLNA. a whopping $100.00
> Hank

Mine was 125.00 by Dr Rich Sugden. A third class medical. A real plane
nut but living off the King Ranch trust. Unfortunataly he forgot about
cutting slack to the locals. Greedy Doctor for sure...

Jackson Hole Wy.

Martin Hotze
July 10th 04, 08:40 AM
On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 22:51:58 +0100, wrote:

>Be thankful you're in the US.
>Last January I paid $86 in Honolulu for my FAA PPL certificate and
>yesterday I paid £198 (approx. $336) for my UK PPL which requires an
>ECG and done every year.

about EUR 80,- (~ $ 66,-) 2 years ago in Austria, but no ECG required
paid about the same in Mesa, AZ

#m

--
Michael Moore: Fahrenheit 9/11:
http://www.fahrenheit911.com/

Dan Luke
July 10th 04, 01:31 PM
"Chris Ehlbeck" wrote:
> It'd almost be worth a cross country to Mobile for that!

Plus, all r.a.p transients thru Mobile get lunch on me.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Greg Houston
July 10th 04, 02:15 PM
x-no-archive: yes

Rip > wrote in message >...
> Greg, please indicate where that comes from.

The FAA.

> To my knowledge (and I've
> been wrong before, believe it or not) an AME can practice anywhere, and
> anytime, his/her medical license is valid. The FAA does not regulate
> doctors, per se. FWIW, I paid $90 this year for a 2nd class in Connecticut.

There is a regulatory process to become an AME, and the FAA decides
how many AMEs they designate in an area. (An area may be defined by
counties or FSDOs etc). Supposedly the number designated depends on
the number of airmen with addresses in that area. I've found that
some designated AMEs don't actively do medical exams (because they are
too busy with their regular practice) or may do so infrequently. By
the way, military AMEs who issue FAA medicals for military personnel
are not restricted by the number of AMEs that FAA issues per area.

"New AMEs are designated based upon the local demand for aeromedical
certification services. Demand is determined by considering the total
number of airmen in a particular location in relation to the number of
available AMEs."
http://www.cami.jccbi.gov/aam-400/faq1.htm

G.R. Patterson III
July 11th 04, 03:37 AM
Greg Houston wrote:

> What are Class III and Class II medicals going for in you area, for
> example metro Boston or metro Philadelphia?

My last one was $65 in Red Bank, NJ.

George Patterson
In Idaho, tossing a rattlesnake into a crowded room is felony assault.
In Tennessee, it's evangelism.

Dr Greg
July 11th 04, 07:21 PM
"G.R. Patterson III" > wrote in message >...
> Greg Houston wrote:
> >
> > What are Class III and Class II medicals going for in you area, for
> > example metro Boston or metro Philadelphia?
>
> My last one was $65 in Red Bank, NJ.
>
> George Patterson
> In Idaho, tossing a rattlesnake into a crowded room is felony assault.
> In Tennessee, it's evangelism.

I charge $75 for Class II and III in St. Cloud MN

Javier Henderson
July 11th 04, 10:29 PM
(Dr Greg) writes:

> "G.R. Patterson III" > wrote in message >...
> > Greg Houston wrote:
> > >
> > > What are Class III and Class II medicals going for in you area, for
> > > example metro Boston or metro Philadelphia?
> >
> > My last one was $65 in Red Bank, NJ.
> >
> > George Patterson
> > In Idaho, tossing a rattlesnake into a crowded room is felony assault.
> > In Tennessee, it's evangelism.
>
> I charge $75 for Class II and III in St. Cloud MN

I paid $75 for a class III in Palo Alto in September 2002 (Dr. Fred Costales).

-jav

RM
July 11th 04, 11:13 PM
wrote in message
> Be thankful you're in the US.

Oh, I am, I am.

And the price of medicals barely registers on the radar on that particular
screen.

Chris Ehlbeck
July 12th 04, 12:01 AM
In 2002 I paid $130.00 for a Class 3 in Woodstock, GA! I think I was billed
for a first class though. The receptionist kept asking "1st class FAA
physical?" and I kept correcting her. The doctor even asked the same thing.
I did end up with a 3rd class. I wonder if being in Atlanta, the home of
Delta would have something to do with the cost?
--
Chris Ehlbeck, PPASEL
"It's a license to learn and buy really expensive hamburgers."

"Javier Henderson" > wrote in message
> (Dr Greg) writes:

> > > My last one was $65 in Red Bank, NJ.
> > >
> > > George Patterson
> > > In Idaho, tossing a rattlesnake into a crowded room is felony
assault.
> > > In Tennessee, it's evangelism.
> >
> > I charge $75 for Class II and III in St. Cloud MN
>
> I paid $75 for a class III in Palo Alto in September 2002 (Dr. Fred
Costales).

> -jav

buzz
July 12th 04, 07:42 PM
$10 co-pay thru Blue Cross.

> "G.R. Patterson III" > wrote in message
>> Greg Houston wrote:
>> >
>> > What are Class III and Class II medicals going for in you area, for
>> > example metro Boston or metro Philadelphia?
>>
>> My last one was $65 in Red Bank, NJ.
>>
>> George Patterson
>> In Idaho, tossing a rattlesnake into a crowded room is felony
>> assault. In Tennessee, it's evangelism.
>
> I charge $75 for Class II and III in St. Cloud MN

Vassilii Khachaturov
July 13th 04, 06:24 PM
$0 because it was sent to me from the Oklahoma City.
(There was some childhood-times suspicion of a heart-related
condition back in Russia which was never confirmed by
later (w/modern equipment) tests in other countries I've
been since. I was stupid enough to mention this on my initial
application, and the AME near the Princeton Airport
decided to pass the buck. So I never was asked to pay him,
and instead had to wait something like 4 extra months before
I finally got the paperwork sorted out so I could solo!
Of course, I was found perfectly O.K. wrt my heart...)
If he had decided to go ahead and write me a IIIrd class on
the spot, I would have had to pay $60 - that was in April 2001.
I would have gladly paid the $600 on the spot if I could have
it immediately.

G.R. Patterson III
July 14th 04, 03:45 PM
Vassilii Khachaturov wrote:

> I was stupid enough to mention this on my initial
> application, and the AME near the Princeton Airport
> decided to pass the buck.

The AME did not "decide to pass the buck." With a mention of possible heart problems,
the AME has no choice. That gets deferred to OK City or the AME won't be an AME much
longer.

George Patterson
In Idaho, tossing a rattlesnake into a crowded room is felony assault.
In Tennessee, it's evangelism.

Google