PDA

View Full Version : A different strikefinder question

L Smith
July 15th 04, 02:58 AM
Seeing the thread on how strikefinders work was interesting to me
because my wife and
I had just been discussing strikefinders last week. We were doing the
Disney thing in Orlando
(buying our 9-year-old son's everlasting devotion), and we got to
wondering how far the
various strikes we were seeing each afternoon were from us. This led to
the question of
whether stikefinder equipment is even available for non-aviation
applications (ie either
car-mounted or portable); if so, what's a 'minimum-equipment'
configuration (portable GPS,
etc) that would put the information into an accessable and meaningful
form, and what would
it cost?

Rich Lemert

Peter
July 15th 04, 03:29 AM
L Smith wrote:

> we got to
> wondering how far the
> various strikes we were seeing each afternoon were from us. This led to
> the question of
> whether stikefinder equipment is even available for non-aviation
> applications (ie either
> car-mounted or portable); if so, what's a 'minimum-equipment'
> configuration (portable GPS,
> etc) that would put the information into an accessable and meaningful
> form,

I'd put the minimum equipment configuration at an eyeball, eardrum, and
reasonably calibrated '1001, 1002' count rate. Gives both bearing and
distance to pretty good accuracy.

> and what would
> it cost?

It was included as part of the standard equipment package.

Mike Rapoport
July 15th 04, 05:06 AM
Lightning detection devices are advertised in Weatherwise. The cost a
couple of hundred dollars in my recollection.

Mike
MU-2
"L Smith" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Seeing the thread on how strikefinders work was interesting to me
> because my wife and
> I had just been discussing strikefinders last week. We were doing the
> Disney thing in Orlando
> (buying our 9-year-old son's everlasting devotion), and we got to
> wondering how far the
> various strikes we were seeing each afternoon were from us. This led to
> the question of
> whether stikefinder equipment is even available for non-aviation
> applications (ie either
> car-mounted or portable); if so, what's a 'minimum-equipment'
> configuration (portable GPS,
> etc) that would put the information into an accessable and meaningful
> form, and what would
> it cost?
>
> Rich Lemert

Jim Fisher
July 15th 04, 06:18 PM
"L Smith" > wrote in message
This led to
> the question of
> whether stikefinder equipment is even available for non-aviation
> applications

Many Park and Recreation Departments of many larger towns have one of these
little handheld gadgets that will give a digital (LCD) direction and
distance for strikes.

Used to get folks off the golf course or kids off the soccer field when a
storm gets too close.

--
Jim Fisher

Google