PDA

View Full Version : TO THE GROUP

Today's Curious Question
July 16th 04, 07:10 AM
Well today I'm relaxing watching an old episode of Dragnet, and this
episode involves a drug smuggler who crashes his plane.

So here's Gannon and Friday standing beside it and I notice an N number.

To me the plane looks likes a Piper colt ( rounded rudder ) but in
another scene Sgt Friday says it's a Cessna..... I don't think so.

Anyways... my tired eyes and feeble brain might be mistaken but
I read the N number as N 97164 yet in another scene Friday
calls it N 17964.

So I'm kinda curious if some kind soul who has the ability to check out
these numbers could tell me what type of plane ( if any ) that those
two numbers come out as.

Please and thank you.

Paul Banks
July 16th 04, 08:36 AM
Go here:

http://162.58.35.241/acdatabase/acmain.htm

and have a play :)

Paul

Today's Curious Question wrote:

> Well today I'm relaxing watching an old episode of Dragnet, and this
> episode involves a drug smuggler who crashes his plane.
>
> So here's Gannon and Friday standing beside it and I notice an N number.
>
> To me the plane looks likes a Piper colt ( rounded rudder ) but in
> another scene Sgt Friday says it's a Cessna..... I don't think so.
>
> Anyways... my tired eyes and feeble brain might be mistaken but
> I read the N number as N 97164 yet in another scene Friday
> calls it N 17964.
>
> So I'm kinda curious if some kind soul who has the ability to check out
> these numbers could tell me what type of plane ( if any ) that those
> two numbers come out as.
>
> Please and thank you.

Tony Cox
July 16th 04, 03:18 PM
"Today's Curious Question" > wrote in message
> Well today I'm relaxing watching an old episode of Dragnet, and this
> episode involves a drug smuggler who crashes his plane.
>
> So here's Gannon and Friday standing beside it and I notice an N number.
>
> To me the plane looks likes a Piper colt ( rounded rudder ) but in
> another scene Sgt Friday says it's a Cessna..... I don't think so.
>
> Anyways... my tired eyes and feeble brain might be mistaken but
> I read the N number as N 97164 yet in another scene Friday
> calls it N 17964.
>
> So I'm kinda curious if some kind soul who has the ability to check out
> these numbers could tell me what type of plane ( if any ) that those
> two numbers come out as.

Stick it into Google (without the space after the "N").

Looks like it *was* a Stinson.

Travis Marlatte
July 16th 04, 03:49 PM
N97164 does not show up in the US registration. That doesn't mean that it
never was. Just that it isn't now.

N17964 is registered as a Schweizer model SGS 2-33 as of 1992.

--
-------------------------------
Travis
"Today's Curious Question" > wrote in message
> Well today I'm relaxing watching an old episode of Dragnet, and this
> episode involves a drug smuggler who crashes his plane.
>
> So here's Gannon and Friday standing beside it and I notice an N number.
>
> To me the plane looks likes a Piper colt ( rounded rudder ) but in
> another scene Sgt Friday says it's a Cessna..... I don't think so.
>
> Anyways... my tired eyes and feeble brain might be mistaken but
> I read the N number as N 97164 yet in another scene Friday
> calls it N 17964.
>
> So I'm kinda curious if some kind soul who has the ability to check out
> these numbers could tell me what type of plane ( if any ) that those
> two numbers come out as.
>
> Please and thank you.

gatt
July 16th 04, 06:21 PM
"Today's Curious Question" > wrote in message

> So here's Gannon and Friday standing beside it and I notice an N number.
>
> To me the plane looks likes a Piper colt ( rounded rudder ) but in
> another scene Sgt Friday says it's a Cessna..... I don't think so.

Reminds me of watching Black Sheep. In one episode where they're landing on
an aircraft carrier (which the squadron didn't do once while Boyington was
there) and they show Boyington landing a Corsair. Then they cut to stock
footage of a Hellcat, then back to Boyington in the Corsair representing the
same aircraft. And then they cut to stock footage of a '60s or '70s
aircraft carrier and there's a helicopter barely visibile in the background.

That show was so much better when I was 10.
-c

Curious Question
July 16th 04, 07:03 PM
> Travis Marlatte > wrote:

> N97164 does not show up in the US registration. That doesn't mean that it
> never was. Just that it isn't now.
>
> N17964 is registered as a Schweizer model SGS 2-33 as of 1992.

Thanks Travis.

I kinda figured that with the age of the TV show from the early 60's
that there was a good chance that those numbers could now be
re-assigned to different planes or not in use at all.

Thanks to all who answered.

NW_PILOT
July 16th 04, 10:20 PM
Go watch Terminator 3 you will see 2 different N#'s on the Cessna that they
fly to the mountain.

"gatt" > wrote in message

> "Today's Curious Question" > wrote in message
>
> > So here's Gannon and Friday standing beside it and I notice an N number.
> >
> > To me the plane looks likes a Piper colt ( rounded rudder ) but in
> > another scene Sgt Friday says it's a Cessna..... I don't think so.
>
> Reminds me of watching Black Sheep. In one episode where they're landing
on
> an aircraft carrier (which the squadron didn't do once while Boyington was
> there) and they show Boyington landing a Corsair. Then they cut to stock
> footage of a Hellcat, then back to Boyington in the Corsair representing
the
> same aircraft. And then they cut to stock footage of a '60s or '70s
> aircraft carrier and there's a helicopter barely visibile in the
background.

> That show was so much better when I was 10.
> -c

Marty
July 17th 04, 02:48 PM
"NW_PILOT" > wrote in message
> Go watch Terminator 3 you will see 2 different N#'s on the Cessna that
they
> fly to the mountain.

I always hope that Hollywood doesn't really crash good equipment but I'm
sure sometimes they do. On more than one occasion I've found my self saying
to the screen "If you didn't want that (plane, Lamborghini,etc) give it to
me!"

Marty

CB
July 17th 04, 06:21 PM
"Marty" > wrote in message

> "NW_PILOT" > wrote in message
> > Go watch Terminator 3 you will see 2 different N#'s on the Cessna that
> they
> > fly to the mountain.
> >

> I always hope that Hollywood doesn't really crash good equipment but I'm
> sure sometimes they do. On more than one occasion I've found my self
saying
> to the screen "If you didn't want that (plane, Lamborghini,etc) give it to
> me!"

when they made the James Bond movie "The world is not enough", They used and
cut up 18 BMW cars to get the necessary shots.

Marty
July 18th 04, 05:28 PM
"CB" > wrote in message

> when they made the James Bond movie "The world is not enough", They used
and
> cut up 18 BMW cars to get the necessary shots.

In "Man With the Golden Gun" I would have gladly cut up that flying Matador
myself.
Man was that thing UUUUGLEEEE!

July 18th 04, 05:34 PM
On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 18:21:18 +0100, "CB" > wrote:

>when they made the James Bond movie "The world is not enough", They used and
>cut up 18 BMW cars to get the necessary shots.

BMWs are easily replaceable. A classic airplane is a treasure.

G.R. Patterson III
July 19th 04, 04:16 PM
Marty wrote:

> I always hope that Hollywood doesn't really crash good equipment but I'm
> sure sometimes they do.

It's just an expense item to them. If it gets real expensive, they'll fake it, but
Cessnas are pretty cheap as these things go.

George Patterson
In Idaho, tossing a rattlesnake into a crowded room is felony assault.
In Tennessee, it's evangelism.

Google