PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Cancun from KeyWest in a Warrior.

Piperflyer
September 22nd 04, 10:13 AM
Is it possible to make a trip from Key West to Cancun, Mexico in a Piper
Warrior?. Has anyone done it in a Warrior? Any tips or advice? Anything in
particular from past experiences in Cancun or Cozumel from GA standpoint?
Any pointers from the group will be appreciated. I want to fly my own
airplane to El Slvador from Tampa via Keywest, Cancun and Honduras and carry
medical supplies for charity work for the "Mission of Mercy" group of
Doctors who do this every year. Any CFI's who would like to volunteer their
time over there would be extremely welcome. Will pay for instrument time en
route. Accomodations are provided by local charities in El Salvador.
Cheers.

Capt.Doug
September 26th 04, 12:00 AM
>"Piperflyer" wrote in message> Is it possible to make a trip from Key West
to >Cancun, Mexico in a Piper
> Warrior

I forget the range of a Warrior. I've flown that trip countless times using
a variety of planes from a Navajo to a B-727. Simply file an international
flight plan and stay at least 6 miles off the coast of Cuba. Take proof of
liability insurance with you. Take a letter of permission from the owner if
you are not the owner. MMUN has an excellent FBO with Customs and
Immigration available onsite.

D.

September 26th 04, 05:50 PM
On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 05:13:43 -0400, "Piperflyer" > wrote:

>Is it possible to make a trip from Key West to Cancun, Mexico in a Piper
>Warrior?. Has anyone done it in a Warrior? Any tips or advice? Anything in

The trip looks like 350 NM. With a full 50 gallons at the POH rate of 9gph
that's 5 hours of flight time with a 5 gallon reserve that translate's to over
30 minutes. Seems like there is no fuel issue, unless you have a hellacious
headwind. Actual fuel usage will likely be lower. I rarely use more than 8 gph
in my 1978 Warrior, and most of the time at cruise it is around 7.5 gph.
However, I ALWAYS plan for the POH number of 9 gph.

Demonick

Jens Krueger
September 27th 04, 05:33 AM
Capt.Doug > wrote:

> and stay at least 6 miles off the coast of Cuba

Make that 26. That's what's printed on my charts. But then I've never
gotten any closer than 50 Miles to Cuba myself.

Cheers,
Jens
--
I don't accept any emails right now. Usenet replys only.

Capt.Doug
September 28th 04, 03:19 AM
>"Jens Krueger" wrote in message > Make that 26. That's what's printed on my
>charts. But then I've never
> gotten any closer than 50 Miles to Cuba myself.

Cuba didn't print your chart. Six miles is fine by them.

D.

Jens Krueger
September 29th 04, 05:26 AM
Capt.Doug > wrote:

> >"Jens Krueger" wrote in message > Make that 26. That's what's printed on my
> >charts. But then I've never
> > gotten any closer than 50 Miles to Cuba myself.
>
> Cuba didn't print your chart. Six miles is fine by them.

The 26 miles remark is on the bahamian chart. Do you have a source where
I can verify the six miles? On my cruise speed that's a mere 2 minutes
from the coastline. Can't believe I would not have a cuban airforce
plane on my tail by then...

Cheers,
jens

--
I don't accept any emails right now. Usenet replys only.

C J Campbell
September 29th 04, 07:26 AM
"Capt.Doug" > wrote in message
> >"Piperflyer" wrote in message> Is it possible to make a trip from Key
West
> to >Cancun, Mexico in a Piper
> > Warrior
>
> I forget the range of a Warrior. I've flown that trip countless times
using
> a variety of planes from a Navajo to a B-727. Simply file an international
> flight plan and stay at least 6 miles off the coast of Cuba.

Why? Just file the transit request 24 hours in advance and fly over Cuba.
They never turn you down.

Google