PDA

View Full Version : Spaceship One Makes Successful Flight One of Two

Bob Chilcoat
September 29th 04, 04:51 PM
I just noticed on Yahoo News that a few minutes ago Spaceship One
successfully made the first of the two flights it needs to make to win the X
Prize. The plan is for the second flight to be made on Monday.

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love
America

Michael 182
September 29th 04, 05:18 PM
videos:

http://xprize.primary.net/index.php

"Bob Chilcoat" > wrote in message
>I just noticed on Yahoo News that a few minutes ago Spaceship One
> successfully made the first of the two flights it needs to make to win the
> Prize. The plan is for the second flight to be made on Monday.
>
> --
> Bob (Chief Pilot, White Knuckle Airways)
>
> I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love
> America

B Lacovara
September 29th 04, 06:50 PM
Just talked with some folks onsiteā€¦ While the flight was successful,
apparently it was not a piece of cake, with a couple of dozen uncommanded rolls
on the ascent.

Bob

John Harlow
September 29th 04, 06:57 PM
Bob Chilcoat wrote:
> I just noticed on Yahoo News that a few minutes ago Spaceship One
> successfully made the first of the two flights it needs to make to
> win the X Prize. The plan is for the second flight to be made on
> Monday.

Did it count? It only carried the pilot.

VERY cool though!

Ron Natalie
September 29th 04, 07:35 PM
"John Harlow" > wrote in message ...
> Bob Chilcoat wrote:
> > I just noticed on Yahoo News that a few minutes ago Spaceship One
> > successfully made the first of the two flights it needs to make to
> > win the X Prize. The plan is for the second flight to be made on
> > Monday.
>
> Did it count? It only carried the pilot.

I believe the X Prize allows one human and two appropriately weighted
dummies. I was going to look it up for sure, but the XPrize website seems
to be crumbling under the load today.

john smith
September 29th 04, 07:39 PM
When asked about it, Melville said he thinks he stepped on something.

B Lacovara wrote:
> Just talked with some folks onsite=E2=80=A6 While the flight was succes=
sful,
> apparently it was not a piece of cake, with a couple of dozen uncommand=
ed rolls
> on the ascent.=20
>=20
> Bob
>=20
>=20

Robert Briggs
September 29th 04, 07:46 PM
John Harlow wrote:
> Bob Chilcoat wrote:
>
> > I just noticed on Yahoo News that a few minutes ago Spaceship One
> > successfully made the first of the two flights it needs to make to
> > win the X Prize. The plan is for the second flight to be made on
> > Monday.
>
> Did it count? It only carried the pilot.

The rules require two passengers *or* the ballast equivalent
thereof, so a sack or three of spuds would do.

Ron Natalie
September 29th 04, 08:16 PM
"Robert Briggs" > wrote in message ...
> John Harlow wrote:
> > Bob Chilcoat wrote:
> >
> > > I just noticed on Yahoo News that a few minutes ago Spaceship One
> > > successfully made the first of the two flights it needs to make to
> > > win the X Prize. The plan is for the second flight to be made on
> > > Monday.
> >
> > Did it count? It only carried the pilot.
>
> The rules require two passengers *or* the ballast equivalent
> thereof, so a sack or three of spuds would do.

....or one Jim Campbell.

G.R. Patterson III
September 29th 04, 08:49 PM
Ron Natalie wrote:

> I believe the X Prize allows one human and two appropriately weighted
> dummies. I was going to look it up for sure, but the XPrize website seems
> to be crumbling under the load today.

The blurb on the AOPA site says that the X Prize allows this and that that is what
they did.

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.

Steven P. McNicoll
September 29th 04, 09:00 PM
"John Harlow" > wrote in message

> Did it count? It only carried the pilot.

The X Prize requires space for three people but not that it carry three
people. A pilot and the equivalent ballast of two people is sufficient for
a qualifying flight.

Peter R.
September 29th 04, 10:28 PM
john smith ) wrote:

> When asked about it, Melville said he thinks he stepped on something.

Call me dense, but what does this mean?

--
Peter

George
September 30th 04, 04:06 AM
"Steven P. McNicoll" > wrote in message et>...
> "John Harlow" > wrote in message
> >
> > Did it count? It only carried the pilot.
> >

> The X Prize requires space for three people but not that it carry three
> people. A pilot and the equivalent ballast of two people is sufficient for
> a qualifying flight.

Not only that but it seems to be aerobatic as well. What a glorious sight

Dean Wilkinson
September 30th 04, 05:06 AM
With all the dummies in the world, it should have been very easy to
find two for this flight... ;)

> I believe the X Prize allows one human and two appropriately weighted
> dummies. I was going to look it up for sure, but the XPrize website seems
> to be crumbling under the load today.

Aviv Hod
September 30th 04, 02:16 PM
George wrote:
> "Steven P. McNicoll" > wrote in message et>...
>
>>"John Harlow" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Did it count? It only carried the pilot.
>>>

>>The X Prize requires space for three people but not that it carry three
>>people. A pilot and the equivalent ballast of two people is sufficient for
>>a qualifying flight.
>

> Not only that but it seems to be aerobatic as well. What a glorious sight

I believe, to be perfectly correct, that it demonstrated that it's not
just aerobatic, but astrobatic once it crossed the 100km mark. :-)

What a glorious sight indeed!

-Aviv

gatt
September 30th 04, 07:18 PM
"Peter R." > wrote in message

> > When asked about it, Melville said he thinks he stepped on something.
>
> Call me dense, but what does this mean?

Rudder pedal, is what he suggested. At that speed it probably wouldn't take
much.
Awesome job getting it back under control. Talk about unusual attitude
recovery!

-c

gatt
September 30th 04, 07:19 PM
"Dean Wilkinson" > wrote in message

> With all the dummies in the world, it should have been very easy to
> find two for this flight... ;)

I qualify! Sign me up!

-c

John Harlow
September 30th 04, 07:26 PM
gatt wrote:
> "Dean Wilkinson" > wrote in message
>
>> With all the dummies in the world, it should have been very easy to
>> find two for this flight... ;)
>
> I qualify! Sign me up!

Oh hell yes, I'd love to be spacemeat too.

Gary G
October 1st 04, 04:42 PM
They had a "bunch of stuff" provided by company employees
that weighed about what a person would - enough to
qualify. Clever . . .

Google