PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse Jet

john smith
October 2nd 04, 12:14 AM
Interesting to see the Eclipse light jet has sprouted tip tanks.
Does this mean:
1. the aircraft has gained more weight and needs more fuel to meet the
original specification?
2. the P&W engines suck more fuel than originally calculated?
3. the additional weight caused the engines to require more fuel?

Anyone have any other speculations?

Mike Rapoport
October 2nd 04, 12:41 AM
"john smith" > wrote in message
> Interesting to see the Eclipse light jet has sprouted tip tanks.
> Does this mean:
> 1. the aircraft has gained more weight and needs more fuel to meet the
> original specification?
> 2. the P&W engines suck more fuel than originally calculated?
> 3. the additional weight caused the engines to require more fuel?
>
> Anyone have any other speculations?

all of the above. Weight begats weigh...

Mike
MU-2

Kyler Laird
October 2nd 04, 03:11 AM
john smith > writes:

>Interesting to see the Eclipse light jet has sprouted tip tanks.

This is new? I thought it was always going to have easily installed/
removed tip tanks. Am I thinking of another light jet? (I thought
it was a cool idea.)

--kyler

Don Hammer
October 4th 04, 11:05 PM
The original Williams engine design didn't live up to its specs and
they made the decision to change to P&W midstream in the program.
The Pratt's are heaver and have an increased fuel consumption. To get
the guaranteed range, they had to put some more fuel somewhere. They
also had to move the engines forward to get the C of G back to where
it needs to be.

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 02:11:29 GMT, Kyler Laird >
wrote:

>john smith > writes:
>
>>Interesting to see the Eclipse light jet has sprouted tip tanks.
>
>This is new? I thought it was always going to have easily installed/
>removed tip tanks. Am I thinking of another light jet? (I thought
>it was a cool idea.)
>
>--kyler

Ted Azito
October 7th 04, 02:51 AM
Williams Research probably has more money coming in than it knows how
to spend from cruise missile engine sales and sandbagged 'em.

Don Hammer
October 7th 04, 04:21 AM
On 6 Oct 2004 18:51:56 -0700, (Ted Azito)
wrote:

>Williams Research probably has more money coming in than it knows how
>to spend from cruise missile engine sales and sandbagged 'em.

Since 1981 they have been Williams International
http://www.williams-int.com/ and their certified engines is where the
real dollars are. Eclipse's rejection of the EJ22 was something that
cost them dearly and a huge loss of future business. Check out
http://www.eaa.org/communications/eaanews/021125_eclipse.html for
details.

Ted Azito
October 10th 04, 02:34 AM
Don Hammer > wrote in message >...
> On 6 Oct 2004 18:51:56 -0700, (Ted Azito)
> wrote:
>
> >Williams Research probably has more money coming in than it knows how
> >to spend from cruise missile engine sales and sandbagged 'em.
>
> Since 1981 they have been Williams International
> http://www.williams-int.com/ and their certified engines is where the
> real dollars are. Eclipse's rejection of the EJ22 was something that
> cost them dearly and a huge loss of future business.

They are probably used to producing at freakishly high raw profit
margins. They aren't really hungry for civilian business as BD-5J
builders can attest!

Ted Azito
October 10th 04, 02:34 AM
Don Hammer > wrote in message >...
> On 6 Oct 2004 18:51:56 -0700, (Ted Azito)
> wrote:
>
> >Williams Research probably has more money coming in than it knows how
> >to spend from cruise missile engine sales and sandbagged 'em.
>
> Since 1981 they have been Williams International
> http://www.williams-int.com/ and their certified engines is where the
> real dollars are. Eclipse's rejection of the EJ22 was something that
> cost them dearly and a huge loss of future business.

They are probably used to producing at freakishly high raw profit
margins. They aren't really hungry for civilian business as BD-5J
builders can attest!

Google