PDA

View Full Version : CAP volunteer?

Robert M. Gary
October 2nd 04, 07:53 PM
Has anyone on this list working with CAP. I'm a CFI and would be
willing to donate some instruction if they were interested and if it
were helpful. Is CAP interested in civilian CFIs or just those with a
military background? What does it mean that some CAP orgs are "Cadet"
and some are "composite"? As a CFI would I need to commit to a large
chunk of time as a CFI or just a couple hours a weekend? There doesn't
seem to be much info on the web, they seem to just point you to the
local groups.

-Robert

Atlas
October 2nd 04, 08:04 PM
> Has anyone on this list working with CAP. I'm a CFI and would be
> willing to donate some instruction if they were interested and if it
> were helpful. Is CAP interested in civilian CFIs or just those with a
> military background? What does it mean that some CAP orgs are "Cadet"
> and some are "composite"? As a CFI would I need to commit to a large
> chunk of time as a CFI or just a couple hours a weekend? There doesn't
> seem to be much info on the web, they seem to just point you to the
> local groups.

As a CFI, you would probably be very helpful to CAP because at least in my
old squadron it was hard to find a CFI who could help out. You can't charge
any money for instruction in CAP. You don't need a military background.
Cadets don't get flight training except at special camps, so you would only
be instructing adults. You'll have to join and then jump through some hoops
before you'll be CAP qualified to fly their plane or instruct. It doesn't
have to be a large chunk of time, but I've seen retired guys spend a lot of
time with CAP, and guys with regular lives and jobs just spend a little
time. The quality of pilots you'll be working with will range from
excellent to scary. CAP is a goo thing because its a way to provide service
back to the aviation community. Go find a local squadron, visit their
regular meeting, and talk to the guy in charge. Hope you like lots of
useless paperwork.

Kevin Dunlevy
October 2nd 04, 10:48 PM
My son recruited me into the local CAP squadron shortly after I got my
private. In order to fly CAP aircraft (mostly 172s and 182s), a private
pilot must take a Form 5 check ride and pass a written test. The Form 5
check ride is to the private pilot PTS standards and must be taken once each
year after the initial check ride. After passing a Form 5 check ride, a CAP
pilot is eligible to fly CAP aircraft at and below the power and complexity
levels of the check ride aircraft.

After 200 PIC hours, a private pilot may fly cadet orientation flights. The
cadets range from about 13 to 18 years of age. CAP pays the aircraft time
for cadet orientation flights. Each cadet is allowed five glider and five
powered orientation flights. The powered flights are about one hour each.
Cadets can also train to solo gliders or powered aircraft at flight
academies. My son has soloed in CAP gliders and I hope he will solo in a 172
next summer in a flight academy. CAP flight academies are a real bargain for
primary flight training for cadets, since the instructors are all
volunteers.

Cadets can also take training for a private in CAP planes with CAP
instructors outside of the flight academies. Senior members cannot train for
their private in CAP planes, but are permitted to train for advanced ratings
in CAP planes with CAP instructors. I am presently working on my instrument
rating with a CAP CFII. A cadet or senior member student pilot must pay for
the plane, but cannot pay the instructor under CAP regulations.

After 175 PIC hours, a private pilot can train for search and rescue
missions and disaster relief missions. USAF pays the aircraft time for most
of the mission training and mission flying. I've flown about five actual
mission sorties and about twelve training mission sorties in the last year.

CAP has been a really great experience for me. I've learned a lot about
flying from instructors that are happy to teach and from the hangar flying
with pilots with far more experience than me. My kids were getting tried of
$100 hamburger flights, so CAP has given greater purpose to my flying. I
enjoy introducing cadets to flying, and I'm happy to donate my time to
search and rescue missions. I know I am a far better pilot for all the
training I have received. CAP has given me the opportunity to pursue my
avocation while doing good.

be welcomed by CAP and by CAP pilots. CAP members are volunteers, so you
are not required to fly, except the minimum amounts specified in the
regulations for proficiency. If you don't maintain the proficiency
requirements, you cannot fly a CAP aircraft. Your CFI time is volunteered,
so you do not have to train anyone unless you agree to do so. My CFII and I
currently fly Wednesday nights after work and on one weekend day. I plan to
fly cadet orientation flights the other weekend day.

Composite squadrons have both cadets and senior members. Squadrons may have
only cadets or senior members, or may have both seniors and cadets. I am in
a composite squadron. I think most CAP squadrons are composite squadrons,
but I don't know for sure. Kevin Dunlevy, Major, CAP

"Robert M. Gary" > wrote in message
om...
> Has anyone on this list working with CAP. I'm a CFI and would be
> willing to donate some instruction if they were interested and if it
> were helpful. Is CAP interested in civilian CFIs or just those with a
> military background? What does it mean that some CAP orgs are "Cadet"
> and some are "composite"? As a CFI would I need to commit to a large
> chunk of time as a CFI or just a couple hours a weekend? There doesn't
> seem to be much info on the web, they seem to just point you to the
> local groups.
>
> -Robert

C J Campbell
October 2nd 04, 11:28 PM
"Robert M. Gary" > wrote in message
om...
> Has anyone on this list working with CAP. I'm a CFI and would be
> willing to donate some instruction if they were interested and if it
> were helpful.

CAP is almost always looking for CFIs. If you join, they will make you a
captain.

Larry Dighera
October 3rd 04, 12:48 AM
I agree with all you've stated, and regarding:

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 19:04:28 GMT, "Atlas" > wrote in
>::

>Cadets don't get flight training except at special camps, so you would only
>be instructing adults.

I know the Los Alametos CAP used to train cadets in winch-towed
gliders. I suppose you'd need a CFIG to participate in that
operation.

Robert M. Gary
October 3rd 04, 04:14 AM
"Kevin Dunlevy" > wrote in message news:<2nF7d.157625$MQ5.57368@attbi_s52>...
> My son recruited me into the local CAP squadron shortly after I got my
> private. In order to fly CAP aircraft (mostly 172s and 182s), a private
> pilot must take a Form 5 check ride and pass a written test. The Form 5
> check ride is to the private pilot PTS standards and must be taken once each
> year after the initial check ride. After passing a Form 5 check ride, a CAP
> pilot is eligible to fly CAP aircraft at and below the power and complexity
> levels of the check ride aircraft.

Thanks. As an adult, if I join do I need to wear the uniform? I
currently wear a uniform as a Scout leader but the CAP uniforms look
too much like military. My father was a Naval officer so I wouldn't
want to give the impression that I was in the military.

-Robert

C J Campbell
October 3rd 04, 05:02 AM
"Robert M. Gary" > wrote in message
om...
> "Kevin Dunlevy" > wrote in message
> > My son recruited me into the local CAP squadron shortly after I got my
> > private. In order to fly CAP aircraft (mostly 172s and 182s), a private
> > pilot must take a Form 5 check ride and pass a written test. The Form 5
> > check ride is to the private pilot PTS standards and must be taken once
each
> > year after the initial check ride. After passing a Form 5 check ride, a
CAP
> > pilot is eligible to fly CAP aircraft at and below the power and
complexity
> > levels of the check ride aircraft.
>
> Thanks. As an adult, if I join do I need to wear the uniform? I
> currently wear a uniform as a Scout leader but the CAP uniforms look
> too much like military. My father was a Naval officer so I wouldn't
> want to give the impression that I was in the military.

The CAP is the civil auxiliary of the Air Force and is run by them. The Air
Force decides what the CAP uniform will be. Except for slight differences,
the CAP uniform has been the same as the AF uniform. Newer CAP uniforms look
a little less like their AF counterparts.

Adults are allowed to wear the uniform, but not all do. Go to a meeting and
see what the others do. You should wear a flight suit during exercises and
missions. The CAP blue flight suit is unpopular around here for several
reasons, not least that it makes you look like a Smurf.

BTIZ
October 3rd 04, 06:08 AM
CAP Cadets get both Glider and Power "Orientation" Flights.. 5 each, paid
for by CAP when the National/State budget allows.

Any "flight training" of CAP Cadets is paid for by the Cadet, at the same
cost as a CAP Sr Member would pay for the CAP Aircraft not directly
associated with a directed Mission or SAREX.

There is an agreement between CAP and SSA regarding glider orientation
flights.

BT

"Larry Dighera" > wrote in message
>I agree with all you've stated, and regarding:
>
> On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 19:04:28 GMT, "Atlas" > wrote in
> >::
>
>>Cadets don't get flight training except at special camps, so you would
>>only
>>be instructing adults.
>

> I know the Los Alametos CAP used to train cadets in winch-towed
> gliders. I suppose you'd need a CFIG to participate in that
> operation.

dancingstar
October 3rd 04, 06:34 AM
Robert M. Gary wrote:
> Has anyone on this list working with CAP. I'm a CFI and would be
> willing to donate some instruction if they were interested and if it
> were helpful. Is CAP interested in civilian CFIs or just those with a
> military background? What does it mean that some CAP orgs are "Cadet"
> and some are "composite"? As a CFI would I need to commit to a large
> chunk of time as a CFI or just a couple hours a weekend? There doesn't
> seem to be much info on the web, they seem to just point you to the
> local groups.
>
> -Robert

I believe there is also a civilian branch of the CAP which is composed
of private pilots donating their time as they are able.

Antonio

Kevin Dunlevy
October 3rd 04, 02:08 PM
There are two types of uniforms, CAP Corporate and USAF. The CAP uniforms
include a blue polo shirt and gray trowsers, a white aviator shirt and gray
trowsers, a blue blazer with white shirt, tie and gray trowsers, and CAP
style flight suits. The USAF type uniforms include green nomex flight
suits, dress blue uniforms and BDUs. I typically fly in the blue polo shirt
and gray cotton trowsers in the summer because they are comfortable in warm
weather. The nomex flight suits get really hot unless you have the 172
cabin windows open. I like the flight suit in the winter because there are
lots of pockets for flashlights, cell phones, etc. The flight suits and
jackets don't keep you warm enough in winter, especially when fueling the
plane, so I add a wool hat, sweater, scarf, socks and overcoat, golashes,
and wind proof sweat pants when it is really cold. At my squadron's
meetings, there are often a mix of CAP corporate uniforms and USAF uniforms.

My Mom and Dad were both Naval officers in WWII. Mom was a nurse and Dad
was a Corsair pilot. My biggest mistake in life was not taking flight
training from my dad when offered it to me when I was in high school. He
was going to give me his CFI time for free, but I had to pay the $15 per
hour for the 172. I was making $1.10 per hour at McDonalds at the time.
Penny wise and pound foolish when I think of how much fun I missed not
flying for all those years. KD

"Robert M. Gary" > wrote in message
om...
> "Kevin Dunlevy" > wrote in message
> > My son recruited me into the local CAP squadron shortly after I got my
> > private. In order to fly CAP aircraft (mostly 172s and 182s), a private
> > pilot must take a Form 5 check ride and pass a written test. The Form 5
> > check ride is to the private pilot PTS standards and must be taken once
each
> > year after the initial check ride. After passing a Form 5 check ride, a
CAP
> > pilot is eligible to fly CAP aircraft at and below the power and
complexity
> > levels of the check ride aircraft.
>
> Thanks. As an adult, if I join do I need to wear the uniform? I
> currently wear a uniform as a Scout leader but the CAP uniforms look
> too much like military. My father was a Naval officer so I wouldn't
> want to give the impression that I was in the military.
>
> -Robert

Roger Long
October 4th 04, 01:25 AM
Just be sure you have a high tolerance for the military mindset. Remember,
if you discover a safety problem, it is not a problem and does not exist if
mentioning it would embarrass a senior officer. If it really was a problem,
you can be sure that someone senior to you would have already discovered and
taken care of it.

I joined as a maintenance officer and foolishly thought that it might be
part of my job to review the aircraft logs and give the aircraft a careful
look over. What I discovered was rather shocking. The aircraft were not
legal. AD's were not complied with. Instruments were improperly marked. POH's
were not updated with proper fuel consumption and weight and balance numbers
after engine conversions. One plane was even missing it's ELT antenna. The
coax just ran up under the panel and ended.

I'd already learned that there was no point in reporting such things to Wing
in order to get them corrected because CAP operates to the highest
professional standards, has their planes inspected every 100 hours, and any
problems would certainly be discovered by trained A&P's at the next
inspection.

Just before I took over, a plane was stumbling and losing power on climb
out. Permission to have it checked out was denied because it was clearly the
result of pilots adjusting the mixture improperly at our sea level airport
and something that remedial training would resolve. (It turned out to be all
except two bolts sheered on an intake manifold.)

My C.O., who was quite sympathetic to my position, agreed that getting some
independent verification would be helpful. I therefore, and with his
approval, took advantage of the FSDO safety inspection which is segregated
from enforcement action. They confirmed what I found and discovered so many
other deficiencies that I was a bit embarrassed. I wrote up my report and
gave it to my C.O. to take up to Wing.

It happened to be pilot meeting night. Because the PIC is responsible for
the condition of the aircraft, my C.O. agreed that we had to share the
findings with the pilots.

The result of my report and the pilot meeting was a blast from wing. It was
announced that, "after extensive discussions with the FAA" the aircraft were
found to be fully airworthy and I had overstepped my authority by
investigating the logbooks and inspecting the aircraft. Since the FAR's
require every PIC to have done this, I find it odd that a maintenance
officer would be the only pilot not permitted to do so.

My C.O. was then told to reassign me which he refused to do. Wing simply
stopped answering my calls and emails which made it impossible to do the job
so I quite and went on leave. A few months later, I resigned.

I learned later that the planes were put in the shop and thousands of
dollars spent on them. Personnel changes were made and, when the new
maintenance officer calls up to say something it wrong, it gets fixed.
Basically, they did everything they should have done and I achieved what I
set out to do.

Of course, I'm no longer in CAP and I would like to be because it is
something I believe in. I don't want this post to be viewed primarily as a
criticism or attack on CAP. It's really about the rank based, military,
model of organizations. Making your superiors look good is job one. Safety
and achieving the aims of the organization are jobs 2 and 3. When there is a
conflict, prioritize accordingly.

As I said shortly after all this happened, I thought at first that I had
uncovered a pocket of corruption but I had really only uncovered a pocket of
absolute normalcy.

I just heard on NPR (and excuse me if I didn't get it quite straight) two
FBI agents tried to point out before 911 that middle easterners that the INS
had lost track of were taking flight training and there was talk about
flying airliners into buildings. They were told to keep such fantasies to
themselves. They went around their superiors and it was the end of their
careers. 911 did not resurrect their careers.

This story was in connection with Congress just declining to pass a law to
protect such people. It makes me feel a lot better to know that Congress
would agree that it is appropriate for me to no longer be in CAP. I made
service a lot safer for the people I admire who get the call to go out and
fly in the dark to help others. The price of doing that is no longer being
able to serve myself but that is just the way of things. It's not a CAP
problem, it's a problem of our whole culture.

--

Roger Long

Jay Honeck
October 4th 04, 01:52 AM
> Thanks. As an adult, if I join do I need to wear the uniform? I
> currently wear a uniform as a Scout leader but the CAP uniforms look
> too much like military. My father was a Naval officer so I wouldn't
> want to give the impression that I was in the military.

My son and I joined CAP about four months ago. Our composite (meaning it
has both senior and cadet members) squadron is quite new, being less than
one year old. Thus, we have sort of gotten in on the "ground floor" with
this squadron -- meaning that we get to do a LOT more work than we bargained
for at the start!

Even though I have yet to receive my "commission" as a lieutenant (which all
experienced pilots receive), I have been made the squadron's "Aerospace
Officer." This, of course, is because I am the first (and, thus far,
only!) pilot in the squadron. (It seems that all the CAP pilots in the area
prefer to go to the Cedar Rapids squadron, 25 miles north of us, where kids
are not allowed.)

As such, I will be conducting classes in basic aviation for the squadron.
I'm holding our next meeting at my hangar, where the kids will get some
detailed, hand's-on experience with our airplane. Later this month, I'm
taking them on a tower tour up on Cedar Rapids. And later still, I will let
my grizzled old A&P show the cadets an airplane that's all torn down for
maintenance.

So far, I have been quite pleased with the experience. My son is 14, and
had been in Boy Scouts since age 7. Scouting was a good experience, but had
recently devolved into more and more chaotic meetings and camping trips,
with little discipline and a lot more screwing around than learning. Thus,
it was actually Joey who suggested CAP, after having seen them in Oshkosh
every summer directing airplanes.

CAP discipline is military without being overbearing, and my son took to it
right away. The uniforms -- BDUs (Battle Dress Uniforms, or combat
fatigues) and Corporate (basically a sport coat and dress slacks with CAP
insignia and rank) feel a little goofy at first, but one gets used to them.
Although I own a flight suit (which I bought on Ebay for knocking around the
hangar, changing oil, etc.) I have not been "flight certified" yet by CAP,
so haven't had a chance to wear it "for real."

Joey has gone on several CAP encampments, learned how to use a radio
direction finder, and gone for glider orientation flights. He is now
Emergency Services certified, and seems to be learning a lot and having a
good time -- which is, after all, the whole reason we joined. (I have very
little time to devote to CAP, since I work every weekend at the inn.
Luckily, the squadron commanders and other senior members have been more
than helpful with transportation, etc.)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Morgans
October 4th 04, 02:43 AM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote

> My son and I joined CAP about four months ago. Our composite (meaning it
> has both senior and cadet members) squadron is quite new, being less than
> one year old. Thus, we have sort of gotten in on the "ground floor" with
> this squadron -- meaning that we get to do a LOT more work than we
bargained
> for at the start!

My son is 14, and
> had been in Boy Scouts since age 7. Scouting was a good experience, but
had
> recently devolved into more and more chaotic meetings and camping trips,
> with little discipline and a lot more screwing around than learning.
Thus,
> it was actually Joey who suggested CAP, after having seen them in Oshkosh
> every summer directing airplanes.
>
> --
> Jay Honeck

Much snipping, for shortness!

You should have him come over and check out Aviation Explorers, while at OSH
next year, too. We are involved in directing airplanes, even on taxiways.
For that, you have to be 18, and three years experience at OSH. The younger
ones help with parking all of the homebuilts in the show area. There is
much more free time than the CAPS, if that is important to you.

You could also start your very own Aviation Explorer post, also. It is not
that hard, and it would be a great chance to turn on a lot of other kids to
aviation. It is a Learning for Life program, which is also a Boy Scout
affiliate. Let me know if you want more details, as far as the contacts to
get information.

Really, *all of you* with young teens and up, or with an interest in helping
some youth, should check out Aviation Explorers. It is a great thing to be
involved in. Plus, it a great way to camp at OSH in a private camp
situation, with meals and all, for $125, for the week. <g>
--
Jim in NC

---

Jay Honeck
October 4th 04, 04:54 AM
> Really, *all of you* with young teens and up, or with an interest in
> helping
> some youth, should check out Aviation Explorers. It is a great thing to
> be
> involved in. Plus, it a great way to camp at OSH in a private camp
> situation, with meals and all, for $125, for the week. <g>

Thanks for the info, Jim. I'd love to be more involved with Aviation
Explorers -- hell, I'd like to be more involved with everything my kids do.
But there aren't enough hours in the day as it is. For now, CAP is the
way he wants to go.

By the way, you forgot to factor in the price of a new automatic
transmission into your camping costs!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Morgans
October 4th 04, 06:23 AM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote

For now, CAP is the
> way he wants to go.

Understood. Not a bad way to go. Will he be there with the cadets camping
next year? He (and any other people in RAP with 14 to18 year old kids) are
still welcome to stop by and see what Aviation Explorers are all about.
Check in at the office.

> By the way, you forgot to factor in the price of a new automatic
> transmission into your camping costs!
>
> ;-)

OOOOOOOHHHH ! THAT is REEEAAALLY ...... *LOW*

You sure know how to hurt a guy. :-0

If you look at it THAT way, it was only $260.71 per day. Plus gas, and LOTS
of transmission fluid on the way there!

Gotta laugh, or you will cry! <sheepish grin>
--
Jim in NC

---

Jay Honeck
October 4th 04, 01:04 PM
> Understood. Not a bad way to go. Will he be there with the cadets
> camping
> next year? He (and any other people in RAP with 14 to18 year old kids)
> are
> still welcome to stop by and see what Aviation Explorers are all about.
> Check in at the office.

Nah, the CAP guys you see there are the "best of the best." They have to
pass a class, and be a member for "x" number of months/years, and jump
through a bunch of hoops in order to be accepted at OSH.

It's hard to believe that they compete so hard to be hot, sweaty, dusty,
sunburned, and tired, no? Ah, youth...

> You sure know how to hurt a guy. :-0

Sorry, man.

But you also forgot to list in the "positive" side that you have access to
"God's Own Grill" whenever you want!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Trent Moorehead
October 4th 04, 01:40 PM
"C J Campbell" > wrote in message

> CAP is almost always looking for CFIs. If you join, they will make you a
> captain.

Keeping everyone trained and qualified seems to be the big challenge at our
squadron. Our CFI has to be checked out so that he can perform the Form 5
checkrides for the rest of the pilots. Once you get your level 1 training
completed (really just a CAP orientation), your fingerprints done, and get
your Form 5 checkride in the squadron's plane, you'll be a very popular guy.
Other squadrons will want to use your services in addition to the squadron
you belong to.

My squadron has cadets now, but it didn't start that way. It's always been a
composite squadron, but when I joined there were no cadets. Hence, I have
seen both sides of the coin. I have to say that I like the cadets being
around. I was with a young girl when she took her first airplane ride and it
was as exciting for me as it was for her. She could hardly contain herself
once we got back on the ground. Teenagers can be awfully downbeat sometimes,
so it was great to see one so happy and excited.

Another note about uniforms: If your squadron has cadets, you MUST be in
uniform when you attend meetings or any CAP function. CAP is very very
strict about how senior member interact with the cadets. A good portion of
your level one training is about child abuse by authority figures, not
unlike those who would be in CAP. In our squadron, the cadets are treated
with the utmost respect and in return, they are probably more professional
than the seniors! Their uniforms look a lot better than ours do for sure.

I have BDU's and the green nomex AF flight suit. It looks exactly like the
AF version (we have active AF members) except it has a couple of different
patches. I don't have the gray slacks type of uniform right now. .You must
wear some kind of uniform if you fly the CAP plane for training or on actual
missions. At first, I felt very self-concious about being seen in the
uniform outside CAP (grocery store, pumping gas etc.), but you get used to
it. My neighbors were afraid I was being shipped off to Iraq!

-Trent
PP-ASEL

2LT, MC-055 central composite squadron, NC wing

Roger Long
October 4th 04, 01:48 PM
I should mention that CAP has the best abuse training I have seen, way
better than what I took for Boy Scouts or school volunteer.

--

Roger Long

"Trent Moorehead" > wrote in message

> "C J Campbell" > wrote in message
>
>> CAP is almost always looking for CFIs. If you join, they will make you a
>> captain.
>
> Keeping everyone trained and qualified seems to be the big challenge at
> our
> squadron. Our CFI has to be checked out so that he can perform the Form 5
> checkrides for the rest of the pilots. Once you get your level 1 training
> completed (really just a CAP orientation), your fingerprints done, and get
> your Form 5 checkride in the squadron's plane, you'll be a very popular
> guy.
> Other squadrons will want to use your services in addition to the squadron
> you belong to.
>
> My squadron has cadets now, but it didn't start that way. It's always been
> composite squadron, but when I joined there were no cadets. Hence, I have
> seen both sides of the coin. I have to say that I like the cadets being
> around. I was with a young girl when she took her first airplane ride and
> it
> was as exciting for me as it was for her. She could hardly contain herself
> once we got back on the ground. Teenagers can be awfully downbeat
> sometimes,
> so it was great to see one so happy and excited.
>
> Another note about uniforms: If your squadron has cadets, you MUST be in
> uniform when you attend meetings or any CAP function. CAP is very very
> strict about how senior member interact with the cadets. A good portion of
> your level one training is about child abuse by authority figures, not
> unlike those who would be in CAP. In our squadron, the cadets are treated
> with the utmost respect and in return, they are probably more professional
> than the seniors! Their uniforms look a lot better than ours do for sure.
>
> I have BDU's and the green nomex AF flight suit. It looks exactly like the
> AF version (we have active AF members) except it has a couple of different
> patches. I don't have the gray slacks type of uniform right now. .You must
> wear some kind of uniform if you fly the CAP plane for training or on
> actual
> missions. At first, I felt very self-concious about being seen in the
> uniform outside CAP (grocery store, pumping gas etc.), but you get used to
> it. My neighbors were afraid I was being shipped off to Iraq!
>
> -Trent
> PP-ASEL
>
> 2LT, MC-055 central composite squadron, NC wing

Robert M. Gary
October 4th 04, 10:35 PM
"Roger Long" > wrote in message >...
> I should mention that CAP has the best abuse training I have seen, way
> better than what I took for Boy Scouts or school volunteer.

Are you still in BSA? As a Scout leader I have to recertify with BSA
every year for my "Youth Protection Training". There is an on-line
quiz you must take at the end of it. If you show up for any BSA
activity w/o your current recert, you get sent home. Even if mom wants
to show up at camp for lunch one day, she must get "Youth Protection"
certified. I have boys that want to go on trips with us but unless I
have two adults in the car I cannot take boys other than mine.
Sometimes boys cannot go on trips because we don't have enough adults
to double-up. In the last 5 years this seems to have gotten way more
serious. Of course, I had to get the finger print thing done and the
background thing done. When I was coaching soccer and baseball the
leagues were starting to require similar. Of course any aware adult
today know that you never, never, never get yourself in a situation
where you are alone with a kid other than yours. You just never know
what could be said.

-Robert

Roger Long
October 4th 04, 10:46 PM
No, my kids outgrew Cub Scouts and weren't interested in continuing with
scouting. Sounds like BSA may have caught up to CAP on this issue.

--

Roger Long

Morgans
October 5th 04, 12:09 AM
"Roger Long" > wrote in message
> I should mention that CAP has the best abuse training I have seen, way
> better than what I took for Boy Scouts or school volunteer.
>
> --
>
> Roger Long

So what kind of training do they give, on how to abuse children? <g>
--
Jim in NC

---

Ronald Gardner
October 5th 04, 12:32 AM
CAP has cadet only squadrons and ones with both cadet and senior members
as well as senior only squadrons.

Cadet's may take flight training for PP while seniors may only go for
additional ratings. CAP offers cadets very good rates for the aircraft
and as you said the CFI can not charge for his time. A 172 here is $50.00
wet a 182 is $55.00 not a bad price.

You only need to take on as much as you wish. However, CAP primary
mission is search and rescue. As an Aux. of the USAF there are the typical
military rules and regulations to be followed. I work with our Group HQ
in managing the Cadet Orientation Flights for a third of the state (PA).
Each cadet get 10 flights, 5- 1 hr powered and 5 glider. This really get
them interested in flight training and some have followed through and
became pilots and went on to be USAF pilots.

So if interested contact your local units and find one that has aircraft
(not all do) and check them out

Ron Gardner

"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

> Has anyone on this list working with CAP. I'm a CFI and would be
> willing to donate some instruction if they were interested and if it
> were helpful. Is CAP interested in civilian CFIs or just those with a
> military background? What does it mean that some CAP orgs are "Cadet"
> and some are "composite"? As a CFI would I need to commit to a large
> chunk of time as a CFI or just a couple hours a weekend? There doesn't
> seem to be much info on the web, they seem to just point you to the
> local groups.
>
> -Robert

Robert M. Gary
October 5th 04, 01:55 PM
"Trent Moorehead" > wrote in message >...
> My neighbors were afraid I was being shipped off to Iraq!

You never know, you just might be! :)
-Robert

Robert M. Gary
October 5th 04, 01:58 PM
"Atlas" > wrote in message >...

> As a CFI, you would probably be very helpful to CAP because at least in my
> old squadron it was hard to find a CFI who could help out. You can't charge
> any money for instruction in CAP.

That's one of the things that appeals to me about this. I like working
with young people and I know it can be expensive to learn to fly
(although I'm still amazed at the number of kids in this town that
drive new Corvettes and the like). At the two FBOs that I'm associated
with, I'm afraid not to charge the same CFI rate as everyone else
since I don't want to be seen as competing with guys who actually do
this for a living (in fact, in at least one case I suspect the FBO
would not allow me to use the planes w/o charging the same as the
other CFIs).

-Robert

Gary G
October 6th 04, 09:31 PM
I was told also (please consult your tax advisor) that payments
for flight training while involved with CAP in order to fly
for CAP is tax deductible.
This was while I was in Scottsdale, AZ (I'm not now) from one
of the CAP Squadron Commanders (or whatever they are called).
It's been about 7 years, though.

Just a thought . . .

Gary G
October 7th 04, 02:55 PM
What is the general commitment requirements after joing CAP?
How many times a week and for how long
would one need to commit to.

I think this sounds really great, and would like
to learn a bit more about the requirements.

Thanks!

Jay Honeck
October 7th 04, 03:25 PM
> What is the general commitment requirements after joing CAP?
> How many times a week and for how long
> would one need to commit to.

Well, our squadron meets weekly, for about 2.5 hours. There are encampments
and other training, too.

You can put in as little (or as much) time as you have available.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
"Gary G" > wrote in message

> I think this sounds really great, and would like
> to learn a bit more about the requirements.
>
> Thanks!

W P Dixon
October 7th 04, 06:37 PM
Another question about CAPS. Are their any maintinance jobs in CAPS. I got a
package from them ..it had accountants listed but no A&P's etc. , just
didn't make alot of sense to me! Wish I could get some sport pilot training
through them. With my limited funds it would be great to trade my time for
some flight lessons!!! If they give them to old codgers like me! HAHAHA

Patrick

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > What is the general commitment requirements after joing CAP?
> > How many times a week and for how long
> > would one need to commit to.
>
> Well, our squadron meets weekly, for about 2.5 hours. There are
encampments
> and other training, too.
>
> You can put in as little (or as much) time as you have available.
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"
> "Gary G" > wrote in message
> >
> > I think this sounds really great, and would like
> > to learn a bit more about the requirements.
> >
> > Thanks!

Jay Honeck
October 8th 04, 12:11 AM
> Another question about CAPS. Are their any maintinance jobs in CAPS. I got
> package from them ..it had accountants listed but no A&P's etc. , just
> didn't make alot of sense to me! Wish I could get some sport pilot
> training
> through them. With my limited funds it would be great to trade my time for
> some flight lessons!!! If they give them to old codgers like me! HAHAHA

Patrick, you've got to actually talk to a wing commander, rather than
relying on CAP's printed promotional materials.

One thing I've found is that CAP is WAY more involved than their brochures
let on. I'd be willing to bet that someone, somewhere, in CAP, will give
their eye teeth to have an A&P join. (I'm fairly certain you are
commissioned an officer right away, if you're an A&P)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Ronald Gardner
October 8th 04, 12:19 AM
Well Jay I didn't know you were in CAP. Some day I hope to get out your way and
meet you.

Ron

Jay Honeck wrote:

> > What is the general commitment requirements after joing CAP?
> > How many times a week and for how long
> > would one need to commit to.
>
> Well, our squadron meets weekly, for about 2.5 hours. There are encampments
> and other training, too.
>
> You can put in as little (or as much) time as you have available.
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"
> "Gary G" > wrote in message
> >
> > I think this sounds really great, and would like
> > to learn a bit more about the requirements.
> >
> > Thanks!

Jay Honeck
October 8th 04, 03:33 AM
> Well Jay I didn't know you were in CAP. Some day I hope to get out your
> way and
> meet you.

Well, Ron, I'm just four months into it, along with my 14 year old son. (It
was actually his suggestion -- how could I argue? :-)

So far, it's been a great experience!

I've really only been concentrating on the cadet program, but hope to find
time to get flight certified and involved in ES training once we're in the
off-season at the inn.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

W P Dixon
October 8th 04, 04:17 AM
Hi Jay,
When I saw the accountant opening thing I figured they were pretty
involved, but found it strange that the listings for actual aviation related
skills was hardly anything. Just CFI's and pilots. And we all know it takes
alot more than that to keep birds in the air...mechs, ground support etc. I
was just surprised that "aviation" wasn't the main backbone of the list of
openings. They sent me the commanders names for several CAP groups in the
area so I will give them a call.

Patrick
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > Another question about CAPS. Are their any maintinance jobs in CAPS. I
got
> > package from them ..it had accountants listed but no A&P's etc. , just
> > didn't make alot of sense to me! Wish I could get some sport pilot
> > training
> > through them. With my limited funds it would be great to trade my time
for
> > some flight lessons!!! If they give them to old codgers like me! HAHAHA
>
> Patrick, you've got to actually talk to a wing commander, rather than
> relying on CAP's printed promotional materials.
>
> One thing I've found is that CAP is WAY more involved than their brochures
> let on. I'd be willing to bet that someone, somewhere, in CAP, will give
> their eye teeth to have an A&P join. (I'm fairly certain you are
> commissioned an officer right away, if you're an A&P)
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993