PDA

View Full Version : G-1000 questions

john smith
October 8th 04, 09:32 PM
Has anyone seen a G-1000 out of the box prior to installation?
What are the full dimensions?
How much space is there between the firewall and the rear of the G-1000?
Why?
Newer LCD projectors are compact and have high lumens outputs.
I have seen the new Apple G5 iMac. The thing is only two-inches thick.
I would think the G-1000 would be similarly "thin". This would leave
sufficient space between the firewall and the G-1000 to install a
"Heads-Up-Display" projector. All the information from the G-1000 could
be provided to the projector. The infomation could be pilot configurable.
Surely someone is developing such a HUD?
The technology is now available, it's just a matter of putting it together.

Stefan
October 9th 04, 12:18 PM
john smith wrote:

> Has anyone seen a G-1000 out of the box prior to installation?
> What are the full dimensions?

Wrong question. The G-1000 isn't an instrument, it's a system. The
screens are quite thin, so yes, there is a lot of room left between them
and the firewall. The other components of the system can be stored
everywhere in the plane, even between the screen and the firewall, if
you wish. Think of a computer network. IIRC, the components even
communicate over ethernet.

Stefan

Stefan
October 9th 04, 12:18 PM
john smith wrote:

> Has anyone seen a G-1000 out of the box prior to installation?
> What are the full dimensions?

Wrong question. The G-1000 isn't an instrument, it's a system. The
screens are quite thin, so yes, there is a lot of room left between them
and the firewall. The other components of the system can be stored
everywhere in the plane, even between the screen and the firewall, if
you wish. Think of a computer network. IIRC, the components even
communicate over ethernet.

Stefan

john smith
October 9th 04, 03:02 PM
Are you saying that the G-1000 is a panel mounted display with remote
avionics which can be mounted in a remote avionics bay?

Stefan wrote:
> john smith wrote:
>
>> Has anyone seen a G-1000 out of the box prior to installation?
>> What are the full dimensions?
>

> Wrong question. The G-1000 isn't an instrument, it's a system. The
> screens are quite thin, so yes, there is a lot of room left between them
> and the firewall. The other components of the system can be stored
> everywhere in the plane, even between the screen and the firewall, if
> you wish. Think of a computer network. IIRC, the components even
> communicate over ethernet.
>
> Stefan

Stefan
October 9th 04, 04:00 PM
john smith wrote:

> Are you saying that the G-1000 is a panel mounted display with remote
> avionics which can be mounted in a remote avionics bay?

Yes.

Stefan

Stefan
October 9th 04, 04:00 PM
john smith wrote:

> Are you saying that the G-1000 is a panel mounted display with remote
> avionics which can be mounted in a remote avionics bay?

Yes.

Stefan

Stefan
October 9th 04, 04:46 PM
john smith wrote:

> Are you saying that the G-1000 is a panel mounted display with remote
> avionics which can be mounted in a remote avionics bay?

This article describes it nicely:
http://www.garmin.com/aviation/articles/AOPA_01_0601.pdf

Stefan

Stefan
October 9th 04, 04:46 PM
john smith wrote:

> Are you saying that the G-1000 is a panel mounted display with remote
> avionics which can be mounted in a remote avionics bay?

This article describes it nicely:
http://www.garmin.com/aviation/articles/AOPA_01_0601.pdf

Stefan

john smith
October 9th 04, 10:26 PM
Thanks, hadn't seen that one.

Stefan wrote:
> john smith wrote:
>
>> Are you saying that the G-1000 is a panel mounted display with remote
>> avionics which can be mounted in a remote avionics bay?
>

> This article describes it nicely:
> http://www.garmin.com/aviation/articles/AOPA_01_0601.pdf
>
> Stefan

john smith
October 9th 04, 10:26 PM
Thanks, hadn't seen that one.

Stefan wrote:
> john smith wrote:
>
>> Are you saying that the G-1000 is a panel mounted display with remote
>> avionics which can be mounted in a remote avionics bay?
>

> This article describes it nicely:
> http://www.garmin.com/aviation/articles/AOPA_01_0601.pdf
>
> Stefan

oicu812
March 19th 05, 04:54 AM
On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 20:32:38 GMT, john smith > wrote:

>Has anyone seen a G-1000 out of the box prior to installation?
>What are the full dimensions?
>How much space is there between the firewall and the rear of the G-1000?
>Why?
>Newer LCD projectors are compact and have high lumens outputs.
>I have seen the new Apple G5 iMac. The thing is only two-inches thick.
>I would think the G-1000 would be similarly "thin". This would leave
>sufficient space between the firewall and the G-1000 to install a
>"Heads-Up-Display" projector. All the information from the G-1000 could
>be provided to the projector. The infomation could be pilot configurable.
>Surely someone is developing such a HUD?
>The technology is now available, it's just a matter of putting it together.
According to Garmin the G1000 isonly going to be sold as a
certificated OEM system in aircraft. For the time being no aftermarket
installs in older acft. Another interesting thing is that no other
items will interface w/ the G1000. If it wasn't designed for it, it
will not be allowed to be installed.
Kevin Patrick
Cessna/G1000 technician

kage
March 19th 05, 06:43 AM
> Kevin Patrick
> Cessna/G1000 technician

Kevin,

Is there going to be a flight director for the G1000?

Karl

oicu812
March 19th 05, 12:37 PM
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 22:43:31 -0800, "kage" >
wrote:

>> Kevin Patrick
>> Cessna/G1000 technician
>
>Kevin,
>
>Is there going to be a flight director for the G1000?
>

>Karl

Right now there is only an interface w/ the KAP-140 autopilot by
Honeywell, Garmin has not developed an autopilot and gotten it
certificated yet. If and when Garmin develops the autopilot system for
the G11000, I think this stuff will probably follow. (an aside, the XM
radio WX system is still not out that was designed for the G1000)
BCNU
Kevin

Google