PDA

View Full Version : Info regarding Super Decathlon

Markus Feyerabend
August 30th 04, 08:08 PM
Hello,

Iīm about to start taking aerobatic lessons in a Super Decathlon and would
like to hear any advice regarding the doīs and dontīs and how the Decathlon
flies in general. Donīt get me wrong, Iīm not a smartass trying to know more
than my FI, but the comment she made about the roll rate of the Deathlon
(~300° sec) made me wonder...

My flying background is mostly gliding but also nearly 1000 takeoffs
(250hrs) in SEP planes (DR400 and Aviat Husky). I fly glider aerobatics in
my Swift S-1 since four years now (unlimited level since this year) and
compete quite successfully in competitions so far.

Looking forward to your input/feedback/advice.

Regards,
Markus Feyerabend
Germany

Jay Smith
August 31st 04, 12:20 AM
Markus Feyerabend wrote:
> Iīm about to start taking aerobatic lessons in a Super Decathlon and would
> like to hear any advice regarding the doīs and dontīs and how the Decathlon
> flies in general. Donīt get me wrong, Iīm not a smartass trying to know more
> than my FI, but the comment she made about the roll rate of the Deathlon
> (~300° sec) made me wonder...
> My flying background is mostly gliding but also nearly 1000 takeoffs
> (250hrs) in SEP planes (DR400 and Aviat Husky). I fly glider aerobatics in
> my Swift S-1 since four years now (unlimited level since this year) and
> compete quite successfully in competitions so far.
> Looking forward to your input/feedback/advice.

Try contacting this individual. He is the best Decathlon pilot I know.

Aerobatics
Bill Bruns
6839 - 54th Street
Kenosha, WI 53144
262/657-8052
262/657-8053 (Fax)
414/630-5051 (mobile)

Viperdoc
September 1st 04, 02:33 PM
I have flown with Bill many hours as well, and second the opinion that he is
the best Decathlon pilot around. He helped me get started in acro flying in
his Decathlon and helped me find mine, which I flew for over 300 hours
before buying an Extra. (A Decathlon roll rate is definitely NOT 300 degrees
a second) It is still a great airplane.

Simply put, he is the best instructor that I have ever had the privilege of
flying with in any airplane.

Good luck.

Rick Macklem
September 1st 04, 11:31 PM
"Markus Feyerabend" > wrote in message >...
> Hello,
>
> Iīm about to start taking aerobatic lessons in a Super Decathlon and would
> like to hear any advice regarding the doīs and dontīs and how the Decathlon
> flies in general. Donīt get me wrong, Iīm not a smartass trying to know more
> than my FI, but the comment she made about the roll rate of the Deathlon
> (~300° sec) made me wonder...

Aircraft Spruce and Specialty sells copies of the Decathlon manual. It covers
the approved maneuvers with recommended entry speeds. (If the one you're going
to fly doesn't have spades, get working out in the weight room before flying
rolls in it:-)

Have fun, rick
ps: I hate to say it, but my main recollection about the Decathlon is its
lack of ventilation on hot days. It is probably the best basic aerobatic
trainer there is, but...

john smith
September 1st 04, 11:37 PM
Rick Macklem wrote:
> Have fun, rick
> ps: I hate to say it, but my main recollection about the Decathlon is its
> lack of ventilation on hot days. It is probably the best basic aerobatic
> trainer there is, but...

Take the door off or remove the window.

Markus Feyerabend
September 2nd 04, 08:14 PM
Thanks, Iīll try and contact Bill for some advice!

Regards,
Markus

Viperdoc schrieb in Nachricht
>I have flown with Bill many hours as well, and second the opinion that he
is
>the best Decathlon pilot around. He helped me get started in acro flying in
>his Decathlon and helped me find mine, which I flew for over 300 hours
>before buying an Extra. (A Decathlon roll rate is definitely NOT 300
degrees
>a second) It is still a great airplane.
>
>Simply put, he is the best instructor that I have ever had the privilege of
>flying with in any airplane.
>
>Good luck.

Markus Feyerabend
September 2nd 04, 08:18 PM
Rick Macklem schrieb in Nachricht ...

>Aircraft Spruce and Specialty sells copies of the Decathlon manual. It
covers
>the approved maneuvers with recommended entry speeds. (If the one you're
going
>to fly doesn't have spades, get working out in the weight room before
flying
>rolls in it:-)
>
>Have fun, rick
>ps: I hate to say it, but my main recollection about the Decathlon is its
> lack of ventilation on hot days. It is probably the best basic
aerobatic
> trainer there is, but...

Hello, the one I get to fly has spades and temperatures shouldnīt be an
issue (itīs already fall here and a good advie to always have a jacket on
hand these days...)!
I try to get opies of the appropriate pages before flying anyway!

Thanks and have fun,
Markus

john smith
September 3rd 04, 04:28 PM
Markus, where in Germany are you?

Markus Feyerabend
September 3rd 04, 08:22 PM
35mls southwest of Munich. Roughly between Munich an Garmisch.
Why?

Regards,
Markus

john smith schrieb in Nachricht ...
>Markus, where in Germany are you?

john smith
September 3rd 04, 08:26 PM
Markus Feyerabend wrote:
> 35mls southwest of Munich. Roughly between Munich an Garmisch.
> Why?

27 years ago I was a Praktikant (?) in Frankenthal, Roxheim Pfalz (10km
south of Worms). I was courious what the countryside was like where you
are flying. Now I know... mountainous! Sure is pretty though!

Markus Feyerabend
September 4th 04, 07:03 AM
john smith schrieb in Nachricht ...
>27 years ago I was a Praktikant (?) in Frankenthal, Roxheim Pfalz (10km
>south of Worms). I was courious what the countryside was like where you
>are flying. Now I know... mountainous! Sure is pretty though!

I hope you have good memories of Germany! Where do you life now?
Markus

Google