PDA

View Full Version : What's On Your Bookshelf?

Jay Beckman
October 11th 04, 07:15 AM
As a newly-minted PP-ASEL, I want to continue to absorb knowledge and do all
that I can to fly as safely as possible.

What books and or videos would you recommend that a new pilot put on his or
her short list?

Thanks in advance,

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
PP-ASEL (as of 2130Z on 10/6/04)
Still Nowhere To Go But Up!

James M. Knox
October 11th 04, 02:57 PM
"Jay Beckman" > wrote in

> As a newly-minted PP-ASEL, I want to continue to absorb knowledge and
> do all that I can to fly as safely as possible.
>
> What books and or videos would you recommend that a new pilot put on
> his or her short list?

I'll make a strong suggestion that otherwise may not make the list. Frank
Kinsgston Smith's book "Weekend Wings" (not to be confused with another of
his books, Weekend Pilot). It won't teach you a thing about lift vs. drag
or elevator vs. rudder. But it is the single best book I know for
understanding just what GA flying is all about!

jmk

James M. Knox
October 11th 04, 02:57 PM
"Jay Beckman" > wrote in

> As a newly-minted PP-ASEL, I want to continue to absorb knowledge and
> do all that I can to fly as safely as possible.
>
> What books and or videos would you recommend that a new pilot put on
> his or her short list?

I'll make a strong suggestion that otherwise may not make the list. Frank
Kinsgston Smith's book "Weekend Wings" (not to be confused with another of
his books, Weekend Pilot). It won't teach you a thing about lift vs. drag
or elevator vs. rudder. But it is the single best book I know for
understanding just what GA flying is all about!

jmk

C J Campbell
October 11th 04, 05:31 PM
"Jay Beckman" > wrote in message
> As a newly-minted PP-ASEL, I want to continue to absorb knowledge and do
all
> that I can to fly as safely as possible.
>
> What books and or videos would you recommend that a new pilot put on his
or
> her short list?

In your case, the "Western US Pilot's Guide"
http://www.pilotpub.com/id1.html
"Flight Guide Vol. 1 Western States"
"Pilot Getaways" Magazine
F.E. Potts' "Guide to Bush Flying"
"How to Make Your Airplane Last Forever" by Mary Woodhouse
"Aircraft Systems for Pilots" by Dale de Remer
Jeppesen's "Aviation Weather"
Jeppesen's "Private Pilot Manual"
Current FAR/AIM
AOPA Airport Guide
"Private Pilot" or "Plane and Pilot" magazine
Extra copies of your favorite airplane manuals
Maintenance manual for your favorite airplane
Summit Aviation CD
Any "There I Was" collection by Bob Stevens
All of Bob Gardner's books

300,000 points or more at Fairfield Resorts (so you have someplace to go --
whether it is a time share or a cabin on a lake in the woods, I don't care,
but have some favorite flying destination) :-)

C J Campbell
October 11th 04, 05:31 PM
"Jay Beckman" > wrote in message
> As a newly-minted PP-ASEL, I want to continue to absorb knowledge and do
all
> that I can to fly as safely as possible.
>
> What books and or videos would you recommend that a new pilot put on his
or
> her short list?

In your case, the "Western US Pilot's Guide"
http://www.pilotpub.com/id1.html
"Flight Guide Vol. 1 Western States"
"Pilot Getaways" Magazine
F.E. Potts' "Guide to Bush Flying"
"How to Make Your Airplane Last Forever" by Mary Woodhouse
"Aircraft Systems for Pilots" by Dale de Remer
Jeppesen's "Aviation Weather"
Jeppesen's "Private Pilot Manual"
Current FAR/AIM
AOPA Airport Guide
"Private Pilot" or "Plane and Pilot" magazine
Extra copies of your favorite airplane manuals
Maintenance manual for your favorite airplane
Summit Aviation CD
Any "There I Was" collection by Bob Stevens
All of Bob Gardner's books

300,000 points or more at Fairfield Resorts (so you have someplace to go --
whether it is a time share or a cabin on a lake in the woods, I don't care,
but have some favorite flying destination) :-)

Marty Ross
October 11th 04, 10:21 PM
"Stick And Rudder", Wolfgang Langewiesche
(http://www.pilotsbooks.com/stick_rudder.htm)

IMHO, this book should be "required reading" for all pilots.

"Jay Beckman" > wrote in message
> As a newly-minted PP-ASEL, I want to continue to absorb knowledge and do
all
> that I can to fly as safely as possible.
>
> What books and or videos would you recommend that a new pilot put on his
or
> her short list?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jay Beckman
> Chandler, AZ
> PP-ASEL (as of 2130Z on 10/6/04)
> Still Nowhere To Go But Up!

Marty Ross
October 11th 04, 10:21 PM
"Stick And Rudder", Wolfgang Langewiesche
(http://www.pilotsbooks.com/stick_rudder.htm)

IMHO, this book should be "required reading" for all pilots.

"Jay Beckman" > wrote in message
> As a newly-minted PP-ASEL, I want to continue to absorb knowledge and do
all
> that I can to fly as safely as possible.
>
> What books and or videos would you recommend that a new pilot put on his
or
> her short list?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jay Beckman
> Chandler, AZ
> PP-ASEL (as of 2130Z on 10/6/04)
> Still Nowhere To Go But Up!

john smith
October 12th 04, 01:21 AM
Stick and Rudder - Woflgang Langewiesche
Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators
Stalls, Spins and Safety - Sammy Mason
Takeoffs and Landings - Leighton Collins
Bax Seat - Gordon Baxster
More Bax Seat - Gordon Baxster
How to Fly - Gordon Baxster

I have more, but I cannot find the box just now.

john smith
October 12th 04, 01:21 AM
Stick and Rudder - Woflgang Langewiesche
Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators
Stalls, Spins and Safety - Sammy Mason
Takeoffs and Landings - Leighton Collins
Bax Seat - Gordon Baxster
More Bax Seat - Gordon Baxster
How to Fly - Gordon Baxster

I have more, but I cannot find the box just now.

Neil Bratney
October 12th 04, 02:36 AM
Hey Jay,

Sure enjoyed reading your report on R.A.S. Congrats (from a four month
PP-ASEL!)

I just finished reading "101 Things To Do After You Get Your Private
Pilot's License" by LeRoy Cook. It was a really good read, and covered
lots of fun stuff to do, and practical ways to do things. Helps me sort
out what the most valuable parts of my training were, and where I need
to grow, too.

PS. My version was the first edition (1985!) I checked out from the
Minneapolis Public Library. There's a brand new 2004 edition I'd love
to get my hands on! Otherwise I'll be off searching for an ARSA!

Good luck, and hope you have as much fun as I've had flying in the last
four months.

Neil Bratney
PP-ASEL

Jay Beckman wrote:
> As a newly-minted PP-ASEL, I want to continue to absorb knowledge and do all
> that I can to fly as safely as possible.
>
> What books and or videos would you recommend that a new pilot put on his or
> her short list?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jay Beckman
> Chandler, AZ
> PP-ASEL (as of 2130Z on 10/6/04)
> Still Nowhere To Go But Up!

Jay Beckman
October 12th 04, 04:21 AM
"Neil Bratney" > wrote in message
> Hey Jay,
>
> Sure enjoyed reading your report on R.A.S. Congrats (from a four month
> PP-ASEL!)
>
> I just finished reading "101 Things To Do After You Get Your Private
> Pilot's License" by LeRoy Cook. It was a really good read, and covered
> lots of fun stuff to do, and practical ways to do things. Helps me sort
> out what the most valuable parts of my training were, and where I need to
> grow, too.
>
> PS. My version was the first edition (1985!) I checked out from the
> Minneapolis Public Library. There's a brand new 2004 edition I'd love to
> get my hands on! Otherwise I'll be off searching for an ARSA!
>
> Good luck, and hope you have as much fun as I've had flying in the last
> four months.
>
> Neil Bratney
> PP-ASEL

Hello Neil,

Truth be told, I bought the newest version of 101 right after celebrating
with the Mrs.

Getting "101 Things..." is what actually made me think to ask the question!

Congrats on getting your wings, too!

Jay

Jay Beckman
October 12th 04, 04:21 AM
"Neil Bratney" > wrote in message
> Hey Jay,
>
> Sure enjoyed reading your report on R.A.S. Congrats (from a four month
> PP-ASEL!)
>
> I just finished reading "101 Things To Do After You Get Your Private
> Pilot's License" by LeRoy Cook. It was a really good read, and covered
> lots of fun stuff to do, and practical ways to do things. Helps me sort
> out what the most valuable parts of my training were, and where I need to
> grow, too.
>
> PS. My version was the first edition (1985!) I checked out from the
> Minneapolis Public Library. There's a brand new 2004 edition I'd love to
> get my hands on! Otherwise I'll be off searching for an ARSA!
>
> Good luck, and hope you have as much fun as I've had flying in the last
> four months.
>
> Neil Bratney
> PP-ASEL

Hello Neil,

Truth be told, I bought the newest version of 101 right after celebrating
with the Mrs.

Getting "101 Things..." is what actually made me think to ask the question!

Congrats on getting your wings, too!

Jay

RobsSanta
October 12th 04, 07:13 AM
Mountain Flying by Spark Imeson
The Proficent Pilot ( Vols 1 ,2 & 3 ) by Barry Schiff

And for the wife ( or significant other ) "The Right Seat" by Avram
Goldstein

Rob

> "Neil Bratney" > wrote in message
> > Hey Jay,
> >
> > Sure enjoyed reading your report on R.A.S. Congrats (from a four month
> > PP-ASEL!)
> >
> > I just finished reading "101 Things To Do After You Get Your Private
> > Pilot's License" by LeRoy Cook. It was a really good read, and covered
> > lots of fun stuff to do, and practical ways to do things. Helps me sort
> > out what the most valuable parts of my training were, and where I need
> > grow, too.
> >
> > PS. My version was the first edition (1985!) I checked out from the
> > Minneapolis Public Library. There's a brand new 2004 edition I'd love
> > get my hands on! Otherwise I'll be off searching for an ARSA!
> >
> > Good luck, and hope you have as much fun as I've had flying in the last
> > four months.
> >
> > Neil Bratney
> > PP-ASEL
> >

> Hello Neil,
>
> Truth be told, I bought the newest version of 101 right after celebrating
> with the Mrs.
>
> Getting "101 Things..." is what actually made me think to ask the
question!

> Congrats on getting your wings, too!
>
> Jay

RobsSanta
October 12th 04, 07:13 AM
Mountain Flying by Spark Imeson
The Proficent Pilot ( Vols 1 ,2 & 3 ) by Barry Schiff

And for the wife ( or significant other ) "The Right Seat" by Avram
Goldstein

Rob

"Jay Beckman" > wrote in message
> "Neil Bratney" > wrote in message
> > Hey Jay,
> >
> > Sure enjoyed reading your report on R.A.S. Congrats (from a four month
> > PP-ASEL!)
> >
> > I just finished reading "101 Things To Do After You Get Your Private
> > Pilot's License" by LeRoy Cook. It was a really good read, and covered
> > lots of fun stuff to do, and practical ways to do things. Helps me sort
> > out what the most valuable parts of my training were, and where I need
> > grow, too.
> >
> > PS. My version was the first edition (1985!) I checked out from the
> > Minneapolis Public Library. There's a brand new 2004 edition I'd love
> > get my hands on! Otherwise I'll be off searching for an ARSA!
> >
> > Good luck, and hope you have as much fun as I've had flying in the last
> > four months.
> >
> > Neil Bratney
> > PP-ASEL
> >

> Hello Neil,
>
> Truth be told, I bought the newest version of 101 right after celebrating
> with the Mrs.
>
> Getting "101 Things..." is what actually made me think to ask the
question!

> Congrats on getting your wings, too!
>
> Jay

W P Dixon
October 12th 04, 06:06 PM
Hi,
Well I do not have "pilot training" books per say. But my wife sure
loves to kid me about all my books! Here are a few titles!
1. Spirits In The Sky- Martin Bowman
2. The War In The Air (WWII)-Gurney
3. Hi-Tech Planes- Wayne F. Greer
4. Modern Military Aircraft- Martin Bowman
5. ASA General Mechs Study Guide
6. ASA Airframes Study Guide
The rest of the bookcase is full of mostly history books, which a large
number are of "The War Between The States" variety. But it ranges from books
on Romans to WWI and WWII and of course my beloved copy of History Of The US
Marines - Jack Murphy. You sure can tell alot about someone if you just look
at their bookcase can't you?

Patrick

"RobsSanta" > wrote in message
> Mountain Flying by Spark Imeson
> The Proficent Pilot ( Vols 1 ,2 & 3 ) by Barry Schiff
>
> And for the wife ( or significant other ) "The Right Seat" by Avram
> Goldstein
>

> Rob
>
> "Jay Beckman" > wrote in message
> > "Neil Bratney" > wrote in message
> > > Hey Jay,
> > >
> > > Sure enjoyed reading your report on R.A.S. Congrats (from a four
month
> > > PP-ASEL!)
> > >
> > > I just finished reading "101 Things To Do After You Get Your Private
> > > Pilot's License" by LeRoy Cook. It was a really good read, and
covered
> > > lots of fun stuff to do, and practical ways to do things. Helps me
sort
> > > out what the most valuable parts of my training were, and where I need
> > > grow, too.
> > >
> > > PS. My version was the first edition (1985!) I checked out from the
> > > Minneapolis Public Library. There's a brand new 2004 edition I'd love
> > > get my hands on! Otherwise I'll be off searching for an ARSA!
> > >
> > > Good luck, and hope you have as much fun as I've had flying in the
last
> > > four months.
> > >
> > > Neil Bratney
> > > PP-ASEL
> > >

> > Hello Neil,
> >
> > Truth be told, I bought the newest version of 101 right after
celebrating
> > with the Mrs.
> >
> > Getting "101 Things..." is what actually made me think to ask the
> question!
> >
> > Congrats on getting your wings, too!
> >
> > Jay

Richard W. Graves
October 12th 04, 07:36 PM
In addition to some of those mentioned:

"Weather Flying" by Robert Buck
"Instrument Flying" by Richard Taylor
2004 FAR/AIM

Rick Graves - N34759 - 1974 C177B

James M. Knox wrote:

> "Jay Beckman" > wrote in
>
>> As a newly-minted PP-ASEL, I want to continue to absorb knowledge and
>> do all that I can to fly as safely as possible.
>>
>> What books and or videos would you recommend that a new pilot put on
>> his or her short list?
>
> I'll make a strong suggestion that otherwise may not make the list. Frank
> Kinsgston Smith's book "Weekend Wings" (not to be confused with another of
> his books, Weekend Pilot). It won't teach you a thing about lift vs. drag
> or elevator vs. rudder. But it is the single best book I know for
> understanding just what GA flying is all about!
>
> jmk

lardsoup
October 12th 04, 11:57 PM
"Stranger to the ground"
"Fate is the hunter"

"Jay Beckman" > wrote in message
> As a newly-minted PP-ASEL, I want to continue to absorb knowledge and do
all
> that I can to fly as safely as possible.
>
> What books and or videos would you recommend that a new pilot put on his
or
> her short list?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jay Beckman
> Chandler, AZ
> PP-ASEL (as of 2130Z on 10/6/04)
> Still Nowhere To Go But Up!

lardsoup
October 12th 04, 11:57 PM
"Stranger to the ground"
"Fate is the hunter"

"Jay Beckman" > wrote in message
> As a newly-minted PP-ASEL, I want to continue to absorb knowledge and do
all
> that I can to fly as safely as possible.
>
> What books and or videos would you recommend that a new pilot put on his
or
> her short list?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jay Beckman
> Chandler, AZ
> PP-ASEL (as of 2130Z on 10/6/04)
> Still Nowhere To Go But Up!

Jay Beckman
October 13th 04, 12:24 AM
"Jay Beckman" > wrote in message
> As a newly-minted PP-ASEL, I want to continue to absorb knowledge and do
> all that I can to fly as safely as possible.
>
> What books and or videos would you recommend that a new pilot put on his
> or her short list?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jay Beckman
> Chandler, AZ
> PP-ASEL (as of 2130Z on 10/6/04)
> Still Nowhere To Go But Up!

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Great cross section of stuff !

Jay

Jay Beckman
October 13th 04, 12:24 AM
"Jay Beckman" > wrote in message
> As a newly-minted PP-ASEL, I want to continue to absorb knowledge and do
> all that I can to fly as safely as possible.
>
> What books and or videos would you recommend that a new pilot put on his
> or her short list?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jay Beckman
> Chandler, AZ
> PP-ASEL (as of 2130Z on 10/6/04)
> Still Nowhere To Go But Up!

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Great cross section of stuff !

Jay

C J Campbell
October 13th 04, 01:25 AM
"Marty Ross" > wrote in message
k.net...
> "Stick And Rudder", Wolfgang Langewiesche
> (http://www.pilotsbooks.com/stick_rudder.htm)
>
> IMHO, this book should be "required reading" for all pilots.

The fact is, this book is outdated and contains some gross inaccuracies.

C J Campbell
October 13th 04, 01:25 AM
"Marty Ross" > wrote in message
k.net...
> "Stick And Rudder", Wolfgang Langewiesche
> (http://www.pilotsbooks.com/stick_rudder.htm)
>
> IMHO, this book should be "required reading" for all pilots.

The fact is, this book is outdated and contains some gross inaccuracies.

Blanche
October 13th 04, 06:18 AM
C J Campbell > wrote:

>"Marty Ross" > wrote in message
>> "Stick And Rudder", Wolfgang Langewiesche
>> (http://www.pilotsbooks.com/stick_rudder.htm)
>>
>> IMHO, this book should be "required reading" for all pilots.
>
>The fact is, this book is outdated and contains some gross inaccuracies.

Knowing full well this is going to open a bag of worms...

citations and explanations, please.

Blanche
October 13th 04, 06:18 AM
C J Campbell > wrote:

>"Marty Ross" > wrote in message
>> "Stick And Rudder", Wolfgang Langewiesche
>> (http://www.pilotsbooks.com/stick_rudder.htm)
>>
>> IMHO, this book should be "required reading" for all pilots.
>
>The fact is, this book is outdated and contains some gross inaccuracies.

Knowing full well this is going to open a bag of worms...

citations and explanations, please.

C J Campbell
October 13th 04, 08:56 AM
"Blanche" > wrote in message
> C J Campbell > wrote:
> >
> >"Marty Ross" > wrote in message
> >> "Stick And Rudder", Wolfgang Langewiesche
> >> (http://www.pilotsbooks.com/stick_rudder.htm)
> >>
> >> IMHO, this book should be "required reading" for all pilots.
> >
> >The fact is, this book is outdated and contains some gross inaccuracies.
>
> Knowing full well this is going to open a bag of worms...
>
> citations and explanations, please.

It has been hashed over before, especially on the student group.
Langewiesche claims in the book that airplanes in the future will have no
rudder pedals, for example, and that tricycle (or 'safety' gear, as he calls
it) will completely supplant conventional gear. He claims that airplanes of
the future should all be stall-proof, without appearing to understand the
tradeoffs in performance that entails. He claims that airplanes fly by
"beating down the air," which is patently untrue; in fact the air under the
wing is pushed forward and causes some drag and little lift. The wing pulls
down air from above it, like a fan blade (which, basically, is just what it
is). Langewiesche's explanation of why airplanes fly does not explain
accurately why stalls occur, which is important for pilots to know. The book
makes all kinds of generalizations about flight instruction and piloting
theories which were current then but which no longer need to be discussed.
Basically, Langewiesche presents a lot of straw man arguments that he then
proceeds to demolish, claiming that he is some kind of iconoclast. Truth is,
much of that claim was baloney then and it is irrelevant now. His views were
not nearly so radical as he seems to think they were, and too much of the
text is taken up with promoting how great a thinker he is, as if he was
writing a diet book or something.

I realize that criticizing Langewiesche is an attack on a basic religious
belief, but the truth is that some progress in understanding aviation has
been made in the more than sixty years since the book was written, even if,
as is sometimes claimed, the basic principles of aerodynamics have not
changed. Of course, those principles were pretty well accepted before
Langewiesche, too, but you would not know that from reading the book.
Tricycle gear, for example, was not the new concept he seems to think it
was, but was only becoming practical at that time because more powerful
engines were obviating the need for huge propellers. The language is, well,
archaic. Langewiesche rambles on and on about his pet peeves and takes a
long time to say anything, but then says the same things over and over.
Sure, he made some valuable observations, but many modern books express
these concepts far more concisely and clearly and are a great deal less
self-serving.

C J Campbell
October 13th 04, 08:56 AM
"Blanche" > wrote in message
> C J Campbell > wrote:
> >
> >"Marty Ross" > wrote in message
> >> "Stick And Rudder", Wolfgang Langewiesche
> >> (http://www.pilotsbooks.com/stick_rudder.htm)
> >>
> >> IMHO, this book should be "required reading" for all pilots.
> >
> >The fact is, this book is outdated and contains some gross inaccuracies.
>
> Knowing full well this is going to open a bag of worms...
>
> citations and explanations, please.

It has been hashed over before, especially on the student group.
Langewiesche claims in the book that airplanes in the future will have no
rudder pedals, for example, and that tricycle (or 'safety' gear, as he calls
it) will completely supplant conventional gear. He claims that airplanes of
the future should all be stall-proof, without appearing to understand the
tradeoffs in performance that entails. He claims that airplanes fly by
"beating down the air," which is patently untrue; in fact the air under the
wing is pushed forward and causes some drag and little lift. The wing pulls
down air from above it, like a fan blade (which, basically, is just what it
is). Langewiesche's explanation of why airplanes fly does not explain
accurately why stalls occur, which is important for pilots to know. The book
makes all kinds of generalizations about flight instruction and piloting
theories which were current then but which no longer need to be discussed.
Basically, Langewiesche presents a lot of straw man arguments that he then
proceeds to demolish, claiming that he is some kind of iconoclast. Truth is,
much of that claim was baloney then and it is irrelevant now. His views were
not nearly so radical as he seems to think they were, and too much of the
text is taken up with promoting how great a thinker he is, as if he was
writing a diet book or something.

I realize that criticizing Langewiesche is an attack on a basic religious
belief, but the truth is that some progress in understanding aviation has
been made in the more than sixty years since the book was written, even if,
as is sometimes claimed, the basic principles of aerodynamics have not
changed. Of course, those principles were pretty well accepted before
Langewiesche, too, but you would not know that from reading the book.
Tricycle gear, for example, was not the new concept he seems to think it
was, but was only becoming practical at that time because more powerful
engines were obviating the need for huge propellers. The language is, well,
archaic. Langewiesche rambles on and on about his pet peeves and takes a
long time to say anything, but then says the same things over and over.
Sure, he made some valuable observations, but many modern books express
these concepts far more concisely and clearly and are a great deal less
self-serving.

Cub Driver
October 13th 04, 10:42 AM
On 12 Oct 2004 23:18:29 -0600, Blanche >
wrote:

>>The fact is, this book is outdated and contains some gross inaccuracies.
>
>Knowing full well this is going to open a bag of worms...
>
>citations and explanations, please.

When I started taking lessons, a friend loaned me his copy of Stick
and Rudder. It almost drove me crazy, those drawings of how the
airport should look while you are in the pattern. It wasn't till long
afterward that I realized that old Wolfgang wanted me to enter on the
base leg.

May not be an inaccuracy, but sure as heck outdated, and very
misleading.

I don't think you are doing a student pilot any favors by giving him
this book. I suspect it's something for oldtimers to smile about ("Ah,
the good old days!").

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! www.vivabush.org

wrote:

>>The fact is, this book is outdated and contains some gross inaccuracies.
>
>Knowing full well this is going to open a bag of worms...
>
>citations and explanations, please.

When I started taking lessons, a friend loaned me his copy of Stick
and Rudder. It almost drove me crazy, those drawings of how the
airport should look while you are in the pattern. It wasn't till long
afterward that I realized that old Wolfgang wanted me to enter on the
base leg.

May not be an inaccuracy, but sure as heck outdated, and very
misleading.

I don't think you are doing a student pilot any favors by giving him
this book. I suspect it's something for oldtimers to smile about ("Ah,
the good old days!").

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! www.vivabush.org

Cub Driver
October 13th 04, 10:53 AM
Flight of Passage, by Rinker Buck. One of the best books I have ever
read, right up there with Young Men and Fire and A Moveable Feast.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! www.vivabush.org

Cub Driver
October 13th 04, 10:53 AM
Flight of Passage, by Rinker Buck. One of the best books I have ever
read, right up there with Young Men and Fire and A Moveable Feast.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! www.vivabush.org

StellaStar
October 14th 04, 03:29 AM
CJC writes:
>. His views were
>not nearly so radical as he seems to think they were, and too much of the
>text is taken up with promoting how great a thinker he is, as if he was
>writing a diet book or something.

LOL!
The old flyers have a lot to offer, and it's rather a comfort to know they
struggled with the same fears and phenomena we do...but it's a good point that
knowledge has improved and we'd better read the "classics" with the knowledge
that there are also contemporary teachers with a great deal of valuable
knowledge to share.

Robert Briggs
October 14th 04, 06:44 PM
Jay Beckman wrote:

> As a newly-minted PP-ASEL, I want to continue to absorb knowledge
> and do all that I can to fly as safely as possible.
>
> What books and or videos would you recommend that a new pilot put
> on his or her short list?

A couple of years back over in rec.aviation.military discussion
turned to the Tenerife crash and cockpit resource management.

Here is what I wrote about a book that is on my bookshelf:

An interesting source (with a provocative title) is David
Beaty's book, "The Naked Pilot: The Human Factor in
Aircraft Accidents" (ISBN 1 85310 482 5, Airlife).

I think Beaty may have used the Tenerife crash as an
example in his chapter on "The Clockwork Captain, or Deus
in Machina".

Many of the lessons in this book can be applied to other
areas, such as my own (software development), and to life
in general - and that certainly includes driving.

I have it in mind to buy it for my brother for Christmas and to
encourage him to ensure that my nephews both read it before they
start driving.

Montblack
October 15th 04, 12:25 AM
("Cub Driver" wrote)

> Flight of Passage, by Rinker Buck. One of the best books I have ever
> read, right up there with Young Men and Fire and A Moveable Feast.

I used a bookstore gift card from Christmas to buy Flight of Passage this
summer. I enjoyed the book.

However ...

It was written in 1994(?) by a 44 year old guy - looking back on a
cross-country trip he took with his brother, when they were both teenagers,
in the summer of 1966. So far so good.

As I got into the book, it felt to me like telling his story was part of a
therapy regiment that Rinker was on. He'd spend an hour on the (HMO
approved) psychologist's couch, then go home and write for an hour.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked the story - I just didn't like having to
wade through endless "I was a brilliant 15 year stud" recollections. The
characters in the book were endearing, even the not-so-nice ones,
unfortunately, I didn't like Rinker talking about Rinker through Rinker. He
was unlikable. I'm not 100% sure why?

The part of the book that was the most interesting for me was how absolutely
special it was, to a variety of aviation people who the boys meet on their
journey, that these two kids were really doing it, flying across the country
in a J-3 Cub. I enjoyed this aspect of the story very much.

Solid recommendation for Flight of Passage.

Montblack
Waiting for the movie :-)

Cub Driver
October 15th 04, 11:32 AM
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 18:25:11 -0500, "Montblack"
> wrote:

>It was written in 1994(?) by a 44 year old guy - looking back on a
>cross-country trip he took with his brother, when they were both teenagers,
>in the summer of 1966. So far so good.

One of the papers -- I think it was the New York Times -- did a piece
on the book when it came out. The hook for the story was getting Rink
together with the PA-11 he flew co-piloted that summer. It was a very
pretty plane, well maintained, located I think in MA.

You are quite right about the long look back. I drove across country
the same year, and I crossed the continental divide on Route 10. No
big deal in a VW bug, and it wouldn't have been a big deal in a PA-11
either. That trip over the Guadalupe Pass is much hyped in
recollection, and wasn't necessary in the first place.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! www.vivabush.org

Malcolm Teas
October 15th 04, 06:47 PM
"C J Campbell" > wrote in message news:
> ...I realize that criticizing Langewiesche is an attack on a basic religious
> belief, but the truth is that some progress in understanding aviation has
> been made in the more than sixty years since the book was written, even if,
> as is sometimes claimed, the basic principles of aerodynamics have not
> changed....

Yup, that's certainly true. When I read the book as a student pilot,
I was aware of it's age and took much of it with a grain of salt.
That being said, I enjoyed it and found it of some use. The style of
explanation in that day is sometimes more straightforward and works
better with me than some of the more modern textbook styles today. I
was able to get a concept better by reading Jeppeson, getting puzzled,
reading Stick & Rudder, getting the idea, and re-reading Jeppeson to
get the modern corrections.

Yeah, I read a lot. Works for me, your mileage may vary.

I'm reading some aerodynamics stuff now and understand the wing
better, but for many purposes the idea that "the wing flys because it
pushes air down" is good enough. If you're going to build wings or
such that's clearly too weak, but for knowing how to fly it works.

Perhaps I'm just a young old fart?

-Malcolm Teas

Andrew Sarangan
October 16th 04, 12:52 AM
"Marty Ross" > wrote in news:kPCad.576$SZ5.490
@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

> "Stick And Rudder", Wolfgang Langewiesche
> (http://www.pilotsbooks.com/stick_rudder.htm)
>
> IMHO, this book should be "required reading" for all pilots.

Just the arrogance of this book turned me off. It spent a great deal of
time describing what a great book it is. No thank you. I will decide that
for myself after reading the book.

http://www.usenet.com

Tom Fleischman
October 19th 04, 02:32 AM
In article <2ypad.33442$R43.1589@fed1read01>, Jay Beckman
> wrote:

> As a newly-minted PP-ASEL, I want to continue to absorb knowledge and do all
> that I can to fly as safely as possible.
>
> What books and or videos would you recommend that a new pilot put on his or
> her short list?

Fate Is The Hunter, and The High And The Mighty, by Ernie Gann

Flying South by Barbara Cushman Rowell

Blueskies
October 26th 04, 01:08 AM
Late entry:

Fly the Wing - Jin Webb

"Jay Beckman" > wrote in message news:nIZad.47029$R43.43500@fed1read01...
> "Jay Beckman" > wrote in message news:2ypad.33442$R43.1589@fed1read01...
>> As a newly-minted PP-ASEL, I want to continue to absorb knowledge and do all that I can to fly as safely as possible.
>>
>> What books and or videos would you recommend that a new pilot put on his or her short list?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Jay Beckman
>> Chandler, AZ
>> PP-ASEL (as of 2130Z on 10/6/04)