PDA

View Full Version : Calcultaing Hourly Cost for Plane (Flying Club)

Gary G
October 12th 04, 03:23 PM
A buddy of mine and myself are looking to form a flying club next summer.
We're researching and learning about the intricacies.

I'm curious of anyone would share how you calculate the hourly
rate for clubs or joint ownership.
In essence - how do you amortize the Major and Top Overhauls
into the hourly rates to members?

We had some estimates around 2000 hours for major.
500 for Top.

What would be the expected costs?

We figure that insurance and yearly inspections are yearly and are covered
by monthly dues. (And tie-down or hanger).
Plus, general upgrades and other moderately planned costs are monthly dues.

It appears some clubs factor in averages.
But I expect to only fly about 20 - 30 hours a year, and he expects to fly
100+ hours per year.
I would like the use-maintenance to be based on a pilot's usage - which he agrees with.
But we just want to get a decent estimate.

Let's assume a 172, approximately 1980. (That's about the price range).
Assume no pro-rated maint. That is, assume it was overhauled last night.

Thanks for your help!

Gary

Google