PDA

View Full Version : Power Chart Creation?

G.R. Patterson III
October 16th 04, 09:25 PM
Some flight plan software requires one to enter a power chart for the aircraft. This
is used to calculate time enroute at different altitudes and temperatures. The chart
has TAS for various combinations of altitude and power. Given the single
airspeed/altitude/power setting provided by the aircraft manufacturer, can one of
these charts be created mathmatically?

If so, how?

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.

G.R. Patterson III
October 17th 04, 02:35 AM
"G.R. Patterson III" wrote:

> Some flight plan software requires one to enter a power chart for the aircraft. This
> is used to calculate time enroute at different altitudes and temperatures. The chart
> has TAS for various combinations of altitude and power. Given the single
> airspeed/altitude/power setting provided by the aircraft manufacturer, can one of
> these charts be created mathmatically?

This sounds unclear to me, so it probably is to you. I need to enter power
percentage, GPH, and TAS figures for several rpm settings at, say 3,000' and the same
info for 10,000'. I can get the percentage and GPH figures from the Lycoming engine
data charts. Maule, however, just says that TAS is 103 knots at 8,500' at 75% power.
How can I derive the TAS values I need?

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.

John T Lowry
October 17th 04, 02:06 PM
"G.R. Patterson III" > wrote in message

> "G.R. Patterson III" wrote:
>>
>> Some flight plan software requires one to enter a power chart for the
>> aircraft. This
>> is used to calculate time enroute at different altitudes and
>> temperatures. The chart
>> has TAS for various combinations of altitude and power. Given the
>> single
>> airspeed/altitude/power setting provided by the aircraft
>> manufacturer, can one of
>> these charts be created mathmatically?
>
> This sounds unclear to me, so it probably is to you. I need to enter
> power
> percentage, GPH, and TAS figures for several rpm settings at, say
> 3,000' and the same
> info for 10,000'. I can get the percentage and GPH figures from the
> Lycoming engine
> data charts. Maule, however, just says that TAS is 103 knots at 8,500'
> at 75% power.
> How can I derive the TAS values I need?
>
> George Patterson
> If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to
> have
> been looking for it.

At a minimum, you'll need your airplane's drag polar, which requires
numbers CD0 (parasite drag coefficient) and e (airplane efficiency
factor), which in turn requires only a fairly simple glide test. It's
all outlined in Performance of Light Aircraft. Other things you might or
might not need are in there too.

John Lowry
Flight Physics

Google