PDA

View Full Version : Cost of flying lessons

Ramapriya
November 8th 04, 09:02 AM
Folks,

At the only flight training center here in Dubai where I presently
live, about 40 flying classes would cost USD 6000. How much would a
similar duration course in the east coast of the US cost? I know costs
will vary, but what can I assume to be the average? Just for
information, a return ticket to NY costs about USD 1300...

I'd be grateful for inputs, thank you.

Ramapriya

Cub Driver
November 8th 04, 11:46 AM
At 7B3 Hampton NH, $75/hour for the Cub, I think $22 (possibly $25)
for the instructor. To solo, you must have insurance of $40,000 on the
airplane.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
the blog www.danford.net

Captain Wubba
November 8th 04, 02:32 PM
I tell students to expect costs of between $5000 and $7000 to earn
their private certificate. I'm in the midwest United States, where
plane rental is about $75 an hour for a Cessna 172, and flight
instruction is about $30-$35 per hour.

Cheers,

Cap

(Ramapriya) wrote in message >...
> Folks,
>
> At the only flight training center here in Dubai where I presently
> live, about 40 flying classes would cost USD 6000. How much would a
> similar duration course in the east coast of the US cost? I know costs
> will vary, but what can I assume to be the average? Just for
> information, a return ticket to NY costs about USD 1300...
>
> I'd be grateful for inputs, thank you.
>
> Ramapriya

G.R. Patterson III
November 8th 04, 05:38 PM
Ramapriya wrote:

> Folks,
>
> At the only flight training center here in Dubai where I presently
> live, about 40 flying classes would cost USD 6000. How much would a
> similar duration course in the east coast of the US cost? I know costs
> will vary, but what can I assume to be the average? Just for
> information, a return ticket to NY costs about USD 1300...

If that school is promising to get you your license for around $6,000, you should get
your training there. Typical minimum costs here on the East coast are in the $5,000
range, and it can be higher.

One local school charges $28 an hour for the instructor's fee and $63 an hour for
rental of a Cessna 152 (a small 2-seater). The average person takes about 70 hours to
get a private pilot's certificate here, and about half of that is with an instructor
in the plane. There are certificates here that do not require as much training, but
you might not be able to use them back in India. It's also the case that many people
learn more rapidly than the average.

If you *do* come here for training, you should probably pick a school in an area
which has consistently good weather so that you can fly every day. It would probably
also be best to pick a school that specializes in training foreigners. There are
several in Florida, for example.

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.

Gary G
November 8th 04, 06:45 PM
Bay Bridge with Capital Air is a tad under $100 an hour with a 152 and instructor.
I think instructors are $45/hr, then (it was) $52/hr for the 152 blocked.
Block time on the plane takes it down a bit.
You can check out their web site (google it), and they also fly out of Tipton right across the street from NSA.

(Now, with that said, NSA's computers picked up this message because I've included their name, and
I'm probably on a watch list because this is aviation related. Uh oh!)

Slick
November 8th 04, 08:27 PM
Well we've got everyone beat here at Skypark. I can't believe what some of
you guys are paying. Rental of a Cessna 150 is $37.35/hr and instruction is
$15.00/hr. I'm not an official spokes person for Skypark, I'm just currently
earning my power rating. Also, average hours per student here for Private is
about 60 hours. You do have to carry insurance to solo, I think I paid
$300.00 for a years worth of insurance with the required hull insurance and
what not. We're located in Wadsworth, Ohio and have about 11 150/152's
available for rent. Here is the website http://www.flyskypark.com . The
prices I give are for the block rate, you have to pay $300.00 at a time to
receive those rates. It's a great deal and I highly recommend the
instructors. Check out their website and hopefully we'll see you soon.
"Ramapriya" > wrote in message
om...
> Folks,
>
> At the only flight training center here in Dubai where I presently
> live, about 40 flying classes would cost USD 6000. How much would a
> similar duration course in the east coast of the US cost? I know costs
> will vary, but what can I assume to be the average? Just for
> information, a return ticket to NY costs about USD 1300...
>
> I'd be grateful for inputs, thank you.
>
> Ramapriya

vincent p. norris
November 9th 04, 02:06 AM
>At 7B3 Hampton NH, $75/hour for the Cub, I think $22 (possibly $25)
>for the instructor. To solo, you must have insurance of $40,000 on the
>airplane.

WOW!!! I learned in J-3 in 1946, right afer VJ day, and paid $7 per
hour dual, $5 per hour solo. And had no insurance.

But today, I can rent a fully instrumented Archer for less than $75
per hour, and need only $5k insurance.

vince norris

>all the best -- Dan Ford
>email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)
>
>Warbird's Forum www.warbirdforum.com
>Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
>the blog www.danford.net

Andrew Sarangan
November 9th 04, 04:40 AM
(Ramapriya) wrote in news:30a8759c.0411080102.78dcdf83
@posting.google.com:

> Folks,
>
> At the only flight training center here in Dubai where I presently
> live, about 40 flying classes would cost USD 6000. How much would a
> similar duration course in the east coast of the US cost? I know costs
> will vary, but what can I assume to be the average? Just for
> information, a return ticket to NY costs about USD 1300...
>
> I'd be grateful for inputs, thank you.
>
> Ramapriya

Not sure what you mean by 40 flying classes, but if that means 40 flight
lessons, assuming about 1.2hrs per lesson that would come to about 50 hrs.
$6000 is not too bad for 50 hours. You could find it cheaper in the US, but
not by much. Once you add the $1300 travel and anther $2000 for
accomodations, you will definitely be better off getting your training
where you are. Furthermore, you can learn at a more leisurely pace there,
instead of trying to meet a deadline and being at the mercy of weather, not
to mention you will need a student visa to the U.S. and jump through the
TSA hoops, get finger printed by FBI, and get treated like a terrorist.
Definitely not worth it...

http://www.usenet.com

Cub Driver
November 9th 04, 11:08 AM
>>At 7B3 Hampton NH, $75/hour for the Cub, I think $22 (possibly $25)
>>for the instructor. To solo, you must have insurance of $40,000 on the
>>airplane.
>
>WOW!!! I learned in J-3 in 1946, right afer VJ day, and paid $7 per
>hour dual, $5 per hour solo. And had no insurance.

That's probably a wee bit cheaper for the airplane and actually a bit
more expensive for the instructor!

In the summer of 1946 I worked an eight-hour day, seven days a week,
washing dishes at a hotel for $18/week. That was a bit more than 32
cents an hour. So a solo hour on the Cub would have required a bit
less than 16 hours of work.

What's mininum wage, $4.45? If so, that would work out to $70 for a
solo hour for the plane, a bit less than $28 for the instructor.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
the blog www.danford.net

kontiki
November 9th 04, 10:05 PM
$6000 is about right. Yes, it can be done for less, but I wouldn't
bet your money on a round trip ticket to the US on it.

Ramapriya wrote:

> Folks,
>
> At the only flight training center here in Dubai where I presently
> live, about 40 flying classes would cost USD 6000. How much would a
> similar duration course in the east coast of the US cost? I know costs
> will vary, but what can I assume to be the average? Just for
> information, a return ticket to NY costs about USD 1300...
>
> I'd be grateful for inputs, thank you.
>
> Ramapriya

vincent p. norris
November 10th 04, 02:41 AM
>In the summer of 1946 I worked an eight-hour day, seven days a week,
>washing dishes at a hotel for $18/week.

I worked in a drug store summer of '45; got ten bucks for a 40-hour
week. When school started and I worked part time, I got 30 cents per
hour.

Tnat's how I earned the money for flying lessons. I didn't dare tell
my parents! My mother would have said something like "Flying is
dangerous! You take flying lessons, I'll kill you!"

That is known as feminine logic.

vince norris

Kees Mies
November 10th 04, 02:04 PM
"G.R. Patterson III" > wrote in message >...
> Ramapriya wrote:
> >
> > Folks,
> >
> > At the only flight training center here in Dubai where I presently
> > live, about 40 flying classes would cost USD 6000. How much would a
> > similar duration course in the east coast of the US cost? I know costs
> > will vary, but what can I assume to be the average? Just for
> > information, a return ticket to NY costs about USD 1300...
>
> There are certificates here that do not require as much training, but
> you might not be able to use them back in India.

Ahum, Dubai is not in India. Not even close ;-)

SelwayKid
November 11th 04, 01:49 PM
(Ramapriya) wrote in message >...
> Folks,
>
> At the only flight training center here in Dubai where I presently
> live, about 40 flying classes would cost USD 6000. How much would a
> similar duration course in the east coast of the US cost? I know costs
> will vary, but what can I assume to be the average? Just for
> information, a return ticket to NY costs about USD 1300...
>
> I'd be grateful for inputs, thank you.
>
> Ramapriya

********************************
You don't indicate if those 40 classes would qualify you for a license
in Dubai.
It seems average costs across the USA are $65.00 for a training
aircraft such as the Cessna 150/152, and Instructor rates vary from
$15-45.00 per hour. It requires an average of 60 hours from start to a
private license even though the regulations state less for minimums.
In a school where you do nothing but ground school or fly every day
from start to finish, you can probably do it in 30 days and less than
60 hours flight time. So, figure out how much it costs to get here,
how much it will cost for room and meals, how much the total training
will cost, and see if your budget allows it. It would appear you can
do it for the same amount in Dubai.
I have been an instructor for nearly 40 years now and still active. My
rate varies from $25-40 per hour. The local aircraft rent for $60-80
per hour. Insurance is optional but as a foreigner you'd be required
to get it at a minimum of $300 per year. The local examiner for the
license charges $250 for the private pilot flight exam.
Ol Shy & Bashful

Cub Driver
November 12th 04, 10:21 AM
On 11 Nov 2004 05:49:35 -0800, (SelwayKid) wrote:

>as a foreigner

I think "foreigner" is now a pejorative. I know at the local
university they are known as "international students".

Perhaps "citizenship challenged" would be more PC?

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
the blog www.danford.net

Christopher Brian Colohan
November 12th 04, 04:59 PM
Cub Driver > writes:
> On 11 Nov 2004 05:49:35 -0800, (SelwayKid) wrote:
> I think "foreigner" is now a pejorative. I know at the local
> university they are known as "international students".

I am a "non-resident alien". I like to shorten this to "alien",
'cause it amuses me to think of running around Pittsburgh with green
skin and flashing antennae on top of my head.

Of course, if I talk to immigration folks I call myself an "F1 student
studying towards a PhD". To everyone else I am just "Canadian".

> Perhaps "citizenship challenged" would be more PC?

This one I have never heard, and hope to never hear. :-)

Chris
--
Chris Colohan Email: PGP: finger
Web: www.colohan.com Phone: (412)268-4751

Michael Rawlins
November 13th 04, 03:38 AM
Cub Driver > wrote in message >...
> At 7B3 Hampton NH, $75/hour for the Cub, I think $22 (possibly $25)
> for the instructor. To solo, you must have insurance of $40,000 on the
> airplane.
>
> all the best -- Dan Ford

Hi Dan and all,

I live in Hampton in the beach area. Been having some fun with a
decent flight simualtor on my workstation for the past few months, and
have gazed up at you guys (out of Hampton) flying up and down the
coast. I've thought about some lessons, but not certain I could commit
the time and $$$ to get a license.

How much flying does the typical person with a GP license do these
days? I know it varies alot. I guess most of you don't own your own
aircraft and simply rent when needed. How often is a rental taken out
for > one day (eg, to travel "out of town")? What are the costs
incurred there?

For what it's worth, my situational awareness is pretty good in the
flight simulator, and I regularly dial in both VORS, navigate to
intersections, and fly localizer into airports in IMC. That's what I
find most enjoyable. A commercial pilot once told me that
situaltional awareness is one of the most important skills a pilot
needs.

Maybe I'll get real good with the simulator while I consider ground
school.....And keep tabs here while I think about my options.

Cheers,
Mike

Cub Driver
November 13th 04, 06:11 PM
On 12 Nov 2004 19:38:25 -0800, (Michael Rawlins)
wrote:

>How much flying does the typical person with a GP license do these
>days? I know it varies alot. I guess most of you don't own your own
>aircraft and simply rent when needed. How often is a rental taken out
>for > one day (eg, to travel "out of town")? What are the costs
>incurred there?

Realistically, $5000 a year. That keeps you current, buys you
insurance, and pays for a few toys.

I try to fly every week, but don't manage it for all the reasons you
can think of (wind, rain, snow, ice, airplane down time, other
commitments). I do fly about 50 hours a year. That's not much, but
it's more in a Cub than in most airplanes because in a Cub you land
and take off more often.

$5000 and a year's time should get you a pilot certificate, too. (It
didn't for me, but I started later in life than most people.)

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
the blog www.danford.net

Cub Driver
November 13th 04, 06:12 PM
On 12 Nov 2004 11:59:43 -0500, Christopher Brian Colohan
> wrote:

>I am a "non-resident alien". I like to shorten this to "alien",
>'cause it amuses me to think of running around Pittsburgh with green
>skin and flashing antennae on top of my head.

We had a friend whose daughter was born in Brazil and her son in New
Hampshire. He was hugely delighted to discover that his sister was an
alien.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum www.warbirdforum.com